Where to buy good ground/whole coffee on the cheap?

topshot

I go to Central in Chiang Mai where they sell coffee machines. I go there once a week or so and ask for a free demonstration (3 oz paper cup) Can not get any cheaper than that.

When I buy coffee I shop at:

Kasem store at 19 Ratchawong Rd.

T. Changmoi, A. Maung Chiang Mai, Thailand , 50000

053 234 986

Many people buy coffee there so the turn over is good which means "fresh beans". They will grind it for you. Not really cheap but you get what you pay for, if you are lucky.

I vote for Akha Ama coffee. It's wet process and very good tasting.

About 320 baht for half kilo

http://www.akhaama.com/

Where do you buy it from Cobra, seems not directly from that link.

Cheers

http://www.akhaama.com/about-cafe/directions/

They also have new location at the east end of Sunday walking street by Wat Prah Singh. Sign says 'La Fattoria'

Here is their facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/akhaama

Once in a while I see signs of smaller shops or resellers offering it also

A bit out of my way, I'm in BKK.

Was just curious as I heard good things about them.

• Like 1

I buy whole beans through the mail. Excellent quality and super fresh as it is roasted at time of order. See attachment for details.

Just remember, though, no matter how great the coffee beans, if you grind them with a blade grinder instead of a burr grinder, it will taste like shit. So if you do not have a burr grinder, don't blame the coffee.

Thanks a lot for this grart and useful advice, Ticketmaster.

Douwe Egberts at makro , 500 gr for under 150,- THB if i remember correctly.

Right! That coffee is very good for the price. Also in Makro look for Cafe Bom...The best Brazilian you can get in Thailand. It is the same price but for 250 gr.......Correction...I am the best Brazilian in Thailand...priceless....

Right! That coffee is very good for the price. Also in Makro look for Cafe Bom...The best Brazilian you can get in Thailand. It is the same price but for 250 gr.......Correction...I am the best Brazilian in Thailand...priceless....

Or you have the best Brazilian in Thailand?? Please post pics if so.

attachicon.gifCoffee.jpgI am very happy with the quality of Moccona Ground Coffee. It's available at Foodland, Tops Market, and BigC.

Years ago I used to use the expresso blend of Moccona too, but compared to what I drink now, it's horrible. It also seems to be ground too fine even for my expresso machine.

A good friend of mine is a French artisan coffee roaster. He is located in Udon Thani, but you may certainly order his delicious coffee (I don't know how much you will be charged for the delivery, but it should not be very expensive).

He proposes four different tastes from the strongest to the most fragrant coffee beans or ground:

- "Classic Premium" [40% Arabica, 60% Robusta] at 190 baht / 500 gr.

- "Opera Italian Taste" [70% Arabica, 30% Robusta] at 290 baht / 500 gr.

- "Moccha Taste" [100% Arabica] at 390 baht / 500 gr.

- "Golden Beans" [100% Arabica] at 490 baht / 500 gr.

The "Classic Premium" flavor is probably the best suited for a morning coffee, but my personal preference comes to the "Opera Italian Taste" which is perfect if you like espressos.

The other two flavors are really delicious too, but as they are more expensive, you probably won't drink them as often as the other ones.

There is a brochure available here: http://symphoniescoffe.com/doc/enthpro1.pdf

For some reasons, the name of his company is: "Symphonies Coffe" (not "Coffee") and here is its contact information:

Symphonies Coffe Co., Ltd
288/7-8 Moo 6 T. Nong Bua A. Muang J. Udon Thani 41000 Thailand
Tel: +66 (0) 42 321 181
Fax: +66 (0) 42 266 740
Mobile: +66 (0) 873 733 516

Edited by onthedarkside
email removed as per forum rules

I go to Hillkoff and get 1/2 Kilo bags for 180Baht. These are coffee beans grown here in Thailand and they will grind them (for free) right in the store. They have several types to chose from depending on your taste. There might be other places that are just as good, but so far, I've never had an issue with this place.

• Like 1

Or you have the best Brazilian in Thailand?? Please post pics if so.

Or please don't!

I buy whole beans through the mail. Excellent quality and super fresh as it is roasted at time of order. See attachment for details.

Just remember, though, no matter how great the coffee beans, if you grind them with a blade grinder instead of a burr grinder, it will taste like shit. So if you do not have a burr grinder, don't blame the coffee.

Thanks for the incite. I never realized the grinder was important and had never heard of a burr grinder.

As they say learn something new everyday. thumbsup.gif For me often a few things,LOL.

Coming from San Francisco - coffee - good coffee - was important. For five years I tried my own search but came up empty. Signed up for Google + earlier this year and joined the coffee group with the same question. The best response was a website that lists good coffee shops and bean shops. The rest is up to you. So far I've only found oily beans stored in clear glass containers. But some of the flavors still come through.

http://www.beanhunter.com/thailand/bangkok/Bangkok

This will get you to a place where you can call up a list by Thai city (or other countries) for shops and beans. Some even roast in house. It's great to find out when they roast and have a cup as they pull the beans out of the roaster.

For me there is no better coffee to drink that a choice selection, ground to perfection, extracted with care, and relaxed during the "cool" dawns.

Cambodian coffee is good, but Lao coffee is heaven!! I have yet to find coffee to equal the taste (for me) of Lao coffee. I fell for it when I was thee some years ago, and brought kilos of it home. I can't buy it here, and with no plans to return soon, I have an occasional cup so it will last, forever hopefully.

bigbamboo, is 'your budgie' the one in budgie smugglers??

I bought some of this the other day at Macro was affraid it was going to be trash based on the price . But its pretty good coffee for the price .....

I bought some of this the other day at Macro was affraid it was going to be trash based on the price . But its pretty good coffee for the price .....

Spend another 40 THB per kg and you can get Duang Dee grown right here in the North of Thailand, freshly roasted. Very nice tasting coffee and I am a 'coffee snob'. They have 3 roasts, medium, dark, and one other. I always buy the original which is the medium roast. Highly recommended. Drinking a cup right now...

• Like 2

You can buy green beans from Hillkoff in Chiang Mai. 1kg for about 240 baht. If you buy from the farmer it's about 120baht/kg.

Put about 200 grams of green beans in a wok and roast them until they are the color you like.Put the beans in a container similar to something you wash vegetables in and sift out (by shaking) the skin that comes off the bean during the roasting process. The sifting container has to have porous enough to allow the skin to fall out but not the bean. Then wait 4 hours and roast your coffee. Fresh is best!

I only like the "French Roast" roast and buy Aroma Brand at Rimping. 190b for a bag. I did try a shop outside Chiang Rai that sold bulk - not bad but still not dark enough for my taste. Have you noticed that it is harder to find very dark roasts and impossible to see through opaque sealed bags - to actually find what "strong roast" means? The Aroma is not bad but there is probably better that I haven't located here in CM.

Hi Ticketmaster,

Just read your post on coffee an wanted to thank you for taking the time to write that up. Excellent advise that I intend to follow.

Thank you.

You won't be sorry. byt the way, somebody said something about shipping EMS. She used to ship to me by EMS, but since I pay the postage, I asked her to stop. I have never had any trouble with the Thai Post, and think EMS a waste of money in most cases. Since she is sending it post collect (you pay at the post office) they are NOT going to lose it!

How do they accept payment?

She sends it post collect. No screwing around with banks, no trust issues. You pay at post when it arrives. There is a small post fee for the collect service, but no big deal (better than dealing with bank transfers).

A word of warning though. Be careful about opening the box at the post office. Even though the beans are packed in Mylar sacks, when you open the box, a think, rich aroma comes pouring out and everybody will trample you trying to get a sniff.

Her coffee is 100% arabica.

Edited by Ticketmaster

Well, no better time or place for this one then...wai2.gif

I love coffee, I love tea
I love the Java Jive and it loves me
Coffee and tea and the java and me
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup (Boy!)

I love java, sweet and hot
Whoops Mr. Moto, I'm a coffee pot
Shoot the pot and I'll pour me a shot
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup

Oh slip me a slug from the wonderful mug
And I'll cut a rug just snug in a jug
A sliced up onion and a raw one
Draw one -
Waiter, waiter, percolator

I love coffee, I love tea
I love the Java Jive and it loves me
Coffee and tea and the java and me