Where to buy good ground/whole coffee on the cheap?

topshot

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some good coffee.I drink coffee about once to twice a day. I've been using the instant coffee, but decided to start making my own and drinking it black to cut calories.

I recently just bought 250 g of ground coffee from Tops. Didn't bother to check the package and it turns out it's Tesco brand... It was 155 baht for 250g which makes it as expensive as Certified Organic beans from back in America.

Any tips/suggestions on places to go?

Good coffee is always going to be expensive. One brand which is good and reasonably priced is Duangdee Hilltribe coffee, obtainable from Rimping (not known for their cheapness) for about B.210 (I've been away for six months so the price may have gone up.) for a half kilo.

Macros do some cheap beans and ground (Hang Dong). Also YOK (I think its called - baking place in the superhighway opposite the old Care4) has a good selection of loose beans.

//Edit: PS: I would only buy from Tops or other western supermarket stockists for foreign brands of coffee if I was after specifics. For Thai beans, Thai shops will be cheaper.

Edited by wolf5370

Good coffee is always going to be expensive. One brand which is good and reasonably priced is Duangdee Hilltribe coffee, obtainable from Rimping (not known for their cheapness) for about B.210 (I've been away for six months so the price may have gone up.) for a half kilo.

Duang Dee is my favorite. 340 THB per kilo.

• Like 1

I buy from Mae Saui.It costs 400 baht for a good standard bean a kilo and700 for high quality. They have some organic and very very good coffee for 1100. It cost 50 baht to EMS 2 kilos to me in Chiangrai and that does me a month. If you want it ground forget it.

Down the far end of Lad Prao soi 1 (Pahon Yothin MRT) (after you turn the second bend), there is a small wholesale coffee supplier (on the right beside a massage shop...NOT OPEN ON SUNDAYS) who roasts his own beans as well as sells other brands - its pretty good and you can get a tasty half kilo bag for not much more than 200 baht.

The shop is called Ratika Coffee coffee1.gif

I conducted a highly sophisticated experiment to determine its true quality - i gave a cup to my GF and she didn't like it (apparently her 3-in-1 is better) - this is conclusive proof that it is actually pretty decent.

This experiment has never failed me and has been used with everything from 'cheese slices vs block cheese', 'fresh bread vs 7-eleven sliced bread' and so on...

Enjoy....may i recommend BLAZE...its the closest thing i can find to Vietnamese coffee (with that chocolatey after flavour when mixed with condensed milk). You must look past the ridiculous names and humouruous English on the packaging....e.g BLAZE

But i don't recommend this one for black coffee drinkers.....I found his Italian one better for that

• Like 1

Makro has a good variety in smaller bags. However the cheapest is bitter. You can test before buying a bigger bag. Coffee goes down in quality once the bag is opened. I never buy in large amounts for that reason.

If you want fresh roasted coffee that will be delivered to your home via EMS, try redcliff coffee.

Recently I bought 250gr from them (199 baht including 52 baht ems shipping, 1kg is 499 including whatever the shipping costs) and paid via SCB to SCB bank transfer (free). Nothing can beat a recently roasted coffee (compared to 1-2 months+ old roasted coffee in shopping mall)

I buy whole beans through the mail. Excellent quality and super fresh as it is roasted at time of order. See attachment for details.

Just remember, though, no matter how great the coffee beans, if you grind them with a blade grinder instead of a burr grinder, it will taste like shit. So if you do not have a burr grinder, don't blame the coffee.

Hi Ticketmaster,

Just read your post on coffee an wanted to thank you for taking the time to write that up. Excellent advise that I intend to follow.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I vote for Akha Ama coffee. It's wet process and very good tasting.

About 320 baht for half kilo

http://www.akhaama.com/

Where do you buy it from Cobra, seems not directly from that link.

Cheers

http://www.akhaama.com/about-cafe/directions/

They also have new location at the east end of Sunday walking street by Wat Prah Singh. Sign says 'La Fattoria'

Here is their facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/akhaama

Once in a while I see signs of smaller shops or resellers offering it also

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie
  • Like 1

Good to see this post and all the interesting sources of beans / roasts that I've never discovered.

My favorite roasted bean is Starbucks Dark French Roast but a few months ago they raised the price almost 200 baht on a 500 gram bag and that started my own discovery of the abundant supply of beans and roasters located in southeast Asia.

Not only does Vietnam grow it's own beans but Thailand in the north and also discovered a southern Laos source under the brand "Dao". So good bye Starbucks, hello northern hill tribes of Thailand. Duang Dee is very good with a dark roast version, a medium roast 'Classic blend' and a 'Smooth blend' version i've never tried. Unfortunately if you like grinding your own the 'Classic blend' is the only one I've found available as whole bean.

At the Kings' Royal Food Project - I may not have the name exact - I found at Chatuchak store, a good dark roast as whole beans. They only have one brand and you can try a cup before you buy at their coffee shop.

At Lad Phrao Foodland, located around Soi 95-97, there is a huge offering of coffees from local roasters with just a brand name on the package, as well as other roasters that appear to be direct source with good descriptions on the packages. Foodland Sukhumvit, soi 5(?) has more limited selection. Villa Markets, depending the store, also has good selection and variety.

While Starbucks Dark French Roast went to something like 785 baht for 500 grams, you should be able to find many of the local roaster and grower coffees, ground or beans in the range of 105 baht / 250 grams to 150 baht / 250 grams.

Bangkok is full of good coffee sources for little money (many more brands than I've noted here) as it turns out and fun to explore and try the different options available.

I buy whole beans through the mail. Excellent quality and super fresh as it is roasted at time of order. See attachment for details.

Just remember, though, no matter how great the coffee beans, if you grind them with a blade grinder instead of a burr grinder, it will taste like shit. So if you do not have a burr grinder, don't blame the coffee.

An excellent article and all very, very true, although I haven't tried the hill beans (yet!). I had the same problem as the OP - only drink 1 good cup of coffee in the morning so wanted the best. I bought a burr grinder from Paragon in BKK (a great Severin at 3,500 I think - works fine). Then I bought a French Press (I already had a Krups Expresso machine but found it too fiddly and I'm not a fan of robusta-type expresso). It's a metal double-walled insulated one from Paragon and is just great - a bit pricy at about 2,200 baht for a 2 cup (I use as 1 cup) or 200 baht more for 4 cup and it keeps the coffee hot whilst brewing). I must say it's so easy and consistent - way better than any of the other coffee makers I've ever had (I use a 4-5 min brew time and double the amount of the coursest grind for a single cup, as Arabica doesn't go bitter with strength or brew time up to 5 mins).

Then I experimented with different coffees (I was an experimental bench biologist when alive). Tried quite a few but the best by far was the Aroma Arabica Special (100% Arabica) (their Executive Blend is number 2). It's not expensive at about 159 baht per 250 g and they sell it now in Makro (there was a shortage recently and had to make do with other types, which allowed for some more experiments, until they restocked in several shops, like Villa). It's true that 100% Arabica is by far the best coffee - smooth, deep, without the bitterness of Robusta, and will allow for variations in brewing a bit better. I was in central Europe until last week and noticed that the German coffee was better than the Italian coffee. I asked a salesman in a Tchibo store what is the difference and he told me that German coffee is 80% Arabica and Italian coffee is 70%. But I knew how good 100% Arabica is anyway. I am so happy that I don't want to change the combination I have set up. However, as an experimentalist, I am always open to new suggestions and opportunities.

If I was the OP, I would go for a combination like mine - French press, Burr grinder, 100% Arabica and the best coffee available - but try different ones to suit your taste - you should go for good coffee irrespective of price if you only drink 1 cup per day.

I've also tried to make the foamed milk but have failed every time, so I microwave full cream milk in a cup before pouring in the coffee. Hey, it works.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

Thanks for your very helpful post. I learned a lot.

How do they accept payment?

Good to see this post and all the interesting sources of beans / roasts that I've never discovered.

My favorite roasted bean is Starbucks Dark French Roast but a few months ago they raised the price almost 200 baht on a 500 gram bag and that started my own discovery of the abundant supply of beans and roasters located in southeast Asia.

Not only does Vietnam grow it's own beans but Thailand in the north and also discovered a southern Laos source under the brand "Dao". So good bye Starbucks, hello northern hill tribes of Thailand. Duang Dee is very good with a dark roast version, a medium roast 'Classic blend' and a 'Smooth blend' version i've never tried. Unfortunately if you like grinding your own the 'Classic blend' is the only one I've found available as whole bean.

At the Kings' Royal Food Project - I may not have the name exact - I found at Chatuchak store, a good dark roast as whole beans. They only have one brand and you can try a cup before you buy at their coffee shop.

At Lad Phrao Foodland, located around Soi 95-97, there is a huge offering of coffees from local roasters with just a brand name on the package, as well as other roasters that appear to be direct source with good descriptions on the packages. Foodland Sukhumvit, soi 5(?) has more limited selection. Villa Markets, depending the store, also has good selection and variety.

While Starbucks Dark French Roast went to something like 785 baht for 500 grams, you should be able to find many of the local roaster and grower coffees, ground or beans in the range of 105 baht / 250 grams to 150 baht / 250 grams.

Bangkok is full of good coffee sources for little money (many more brands than I've noted here) as it turns out and fun to explore and try the different options available.

I also liked the Dao coffee from Makro, but for me Aroma beat it by quite a long way and has quite a few varieties to try.

Yes, Mako has some pretty good product in a Black Foil Bag. I know it when I see it but I don't have a bag at the moment as all the beans are in the grinder. (Note to self: GET MORE COFFEE BEANS) Someone mentioned a product from Rimping and yes, this is also very good but expensive, however it is worth the extra, afterall, how many dozen cups do you drink each day?

Having mentioned Makro, have others noticed how RUDE the "Final Check" people are? you know, after you go through the "check-out" and pay your money, you then get bailed-up by some snotty little person just before you go out the door. Most of them are non-smiling, and treat customers as though the customer is an Arch Criminal trying to steal the store blind. The old Makro store was pretty good a few years ago but the one on Hangdong Road is a real pain, which lets down the whole image of Makro where most of the staff are excellent.

How do they accept payment?

The coffee I buy they accept bank transfer or send COD for about 50 baht extra,.