Anyone gone from a regular SIM to a Micro-SIM?

rmicheald

Also, the place that you bought the new phone from can cut your current sim for you, as they should/may have a tool that does it. The only prob with doing it yourself is that if you cut it too small etc, the sim becomes useless.

Edited by Psych01

Also, the place that you bought the new phone from can cut your current sim for you, as they should/may have a tool that does it. The only prob with doing it yourself is that if you cut it too small etc, the sim becomes useless.

I was at a shop and saw a tool they use for this. Seemed to work pretty good.

If you want a "genuine" micro sim, go to your telecom supplier's shop and get a new sim. You can transfer all your contacts onto the old phone and then on to the new sim or phone if you feel the need to do so first. They will charge a nominal amount and transfer your number to the new sim. The helpful staff can also transfer the information if you do not feel up to the technology.

• Like 1

If you want a "genuine" micro sim, go to your telecom supplier's shop and get a new sim. You can transfer all your contacts onto the old phone and then on to the new sim or phone if you feel the need to do so first. They will charge a nominal amount and transfer your number to the new sim. The helpful staff can also transfer the information if you do not feel up to the technology.

I have not been charged and money when swapping (have done so twice) but do take ID with you as they will ask to see.

Not quite true, I went to One to call office at BIG C extra, and they do not have micro sim cards, they merely cut your card with scissors (free)

Best Paul

Edited by Pdavies99

True gave me a brand new micro-SIM card for free, and did the number transfer. Took about 2 minutes.

If you use the tool that his made to cut a SIM to a smaller size, a cut-hole device, you end up with an inner piece with the micro chip, and the outer piece that can be kept if you wish to re-use the SIM in a phone that requires the larger size.

You just re-assemble the parts and put a flimsy scotch tape in the back. All set.

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts

If you use the tool that his made to cut a SIM to a smaller size, a cut-hole device, you end up with an inner piece with the micro chip, and the outer piece that can be kept if you wish to re-use the SIM in a phone that requires the larger size.

You just re-assemble the parts and put a flimsy scotch tape in the back. All set.

There is an adapter on eBay to use a microsim in a full sim slot. $0.99 US with free shipping.

If you use AIS, you can request a new SIM at Telewiz, they can also copy the contents (contacts) from the old sim card. This is a free service, at least it was last year.

Yes - did this last week at AIS in Tesco Samui. Just upgraded and they cut the card where I bought the phone, but I was changing my contract with AIS to include 3G and they noticed the cut card, saved all my numbers and gave me a new small card free. The other good thing is that they have my numbers saved so if I lost the phone they have a back up.

If you use AIS, you can request a new SIM at Telewiz, they can also copy the contents (contacts) from the old sim card. This is a free service, at least it was last year.

Yes - did this last week at AIS in Tesco Samui. Just upgraded and they cut the card where I bought the phone, but I was changing my contract with AIS to include 3G and they noticed the cut card, saved all my numbers and gave me a new small card free. The other good thing is that they have my numbers saved so if I lost the phone they have a back up.

I had AIS (1-2 Call)transfer the data from my old large SIM card to a micro SIM for iPhone at Central Festival Mall shop on ground floor in Pattaya. They did not charge for the service. Note they only transferred contacts which were stored on the SIM card so you should first save you contacts onto the SIM card if not already done so as that makes the process easy.

With phone screens getting bigger and thus the phone size, what is the need for micro sims?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Because not ALL phone screens are getting bigger and they want to eliminate the larger SIM cards so they/we don't have to worry about two different card sizes. Or so I speculate.

I have done it twice with AIS and was never charged for it. Once with the Iphone 4s and again when I got the 5. I also had them make me a larger one one time to go in another phone I was using for a week Galaxy I think it was and was not charged for that either. Same number. They all seem very helpful when you do this too.

True will swap you out for free at their flagship locations. DTAC and AIS will charge.

There is an adapter on eBay to use a microsim in a full sim slot. $0.99 US with free shipping.

No need to go to that trouble, such adaptors are readily available in Thailand. I got mine in The Mall Korat.

I went into the AIS shop in The Mall Korat and they changed it for me, no problem and free. My old iPhone had a large SIM and the Galaxy I now got takes a small SIM, or Micro SIM I believe they are called. I kept the same number, everything was done on their computer, I got the large SIM back but it was cancelled.

I got a new phone and it has a Micro SIM instead of the regular sized SIM. Has anyone transferred from a regular to a micro SIM? Can I keep the same Number? Do all the contacts etc on the SIM transfer across?

Thanks

Buy a cutter yourself and then you just cut it and keep the offcut so you can put the sim into a normal phone should you need to.

After cutting you may need to debur the edges

There will be phone shops who can do the job for you. If your travelling and changing sims reasonably often it's advantageous to have your own.

So the answer is Yes... You can keep your existing number.

With phone screens getting bigger and thus the phone size, what is the need for micro sims?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Less space for plastic = more more space for phone features and processing power. Even my min-iPad uses the nano-sim - which makes it easy to swap between iPhone and iPad.

Edited by tropo

I have just changed from a Samsung Galaxy II (Standard SIM) to a S4(Micro-SIM). The True H+ SIM Card incorporates a Micro SIM in the centre of the Standard SIM frame. You just snap the Micro-SIM out and slot it in the new phone. If all you contacts and data have been saved to SIM then they are all transferred to your new phone. However, data, pics and programs saved to your old phone have to be transferred manually following the instructions in the maker's manual (you can back up to PC first if necessary (recommended anyway).

Your SIM Card provider can also transfer your data to a new SIM. My SIM card failed but True were able to recover the data and transfer it to a NEW SIM over the counter at one of their outlets.

Edited by Estrada

Over the past few months I've exchanged standard sized (actually Mini SIM) SIMs, for micro SIMs, with TrueMove H, DTAC and AIS. All three provided the exchange free of charge, in just a few minutes. They re-programmed their systems to map my existing number to the new IMSI. I didn't have any data (names or numbers) stored on the SIM(s), not even sure you can do that with Android devices?