Driving Safety Tips For The Songkran Festival

Jai Dee

1. Buckle up

Statistics show that seat belts save lives and reduce injuries. Ensure that you and your passengers, especially children, are securely and properly fastened before you start your vehicle. Also ensure that child safety restraints are properly installed and maintained.

ควรคาดเข็มขัดนิรภัย

จากสถิติที่ผ่านมา การคาดเข็มขัดนิรภัย สามารถช่วยชีวิตและลดการบาดเจ็บจากอุบัติเหตุได้ เพื่อให้มั่นใจว่าผู้โดยสาร, ผู้ขับขี่ โดยเฉพาะเด็ก เกิดความปลอดภัย ควรมั่นใจว่า ได้คาดเข็มขัดนิรภัยก่อนขับรถออกจากบ้าน และเข็มขัดที่รัดนั้นได้รับการตรวจสอบว่าได้ติดตั้งและดูแลอย่างถูกต้อง เหมาะสม

2. Stay Alert

Check your mirrors frequently and try to anticipate the actions of others. Never assume that you know what another driver intends to do.

If you're tired or drowsy, pull over and rest or change drivers. If you're a passenger, stay alert for signs of drowsiness in the driver. Don't be afraid to ask, "Are you okay to drive?" Encourage the driver to pull over if not FULLY alert. And remember, always act as another set of eyes for the driver. Avoid startling the driver (unless it's an extreme situation) but calmly alert him or her to potential hazards.

ระมัดระวังอยู่เสมอ

ตรวจสอบกระจกมองข้าง อยู่เสมอ และเตรียมป้องกันล่วงหน้าสำหรับเหตุการณ์ต่างๆ อย่ามั่นใจกับผู้ขับขี่อื่นที่ใช้ถนนร่วมกัน ถ้าคุณเหนื่อย หรือง่วง ซึม ให้ขับรถเข้าข้างทาง หรือจอดพักผ่อนบริเวณที่พักริมทาง ถ้าคุณเป็นผู้โดยสาร ให้ระมัดระวังอยู่เสมอ สังเกตปฏิกิริยาของคนขับ อย่ากลัวที่จะถามว่า “คุณยังสามารถขับรถได้หรือไม่?” เตือนผู้ขับรถให้นำรถเข้าข้างทางในกรณีที่ไม่สามารถขับรถได้อย่างเต็มที่ และระลึกว่าต้องช่วยผู้ขับรถในการขับรถด้วย หลีกเลี่ยงการทำให้คนขับตกใจในขณะขับรถ (เว้นแต่เห็นว่าสถานการณ์ร้ายแรงมาก) ควรทำใจให้สงบ ค่อยๆบอกคนขับถึงอันตราย เพื่อป้องกันและแก้ไข

3. Stay Back

Stay a safe distance from other vehicles; the driver ahead of you may change his mind at the last second or need to stop suddenly. Leave at least one car length for every 15 km per hour under normal weather conditions. Give yourself an even greater distance at night or in wet or foggy conditions.

เว้นระยะห่างจากรถคันอื่น

เว้นระยะห่างจากรถคันหน้าอย่างน้อย 3 วินาที หรือ 1 ช่วงคันรถต่อความเร็ว 15 กม/ชม ในสภาวะอากาศปกติ ทิ้งระยะปลอดภัยให้ไกลขึ้นในช่วงเวลากลางคืนหรือในช่วงฝนตก, หมอกลง ผู้ขับข้างหน้าอาจเปลี่ยนใจกระทันหันในชั่วเสี้ยวเวลาเล็กน้อย หรือต้องหยุดอย่างกระทันหัน คุณจะได้มีเวลาพอตอบสนองต่อเหตุการณ์ข้างหน้า

4. Use your signal lights

Give other drivers plenty of warning that you intend to turn or change lanes. You may help to avoid an accident that would have been your fault.

ให้สัญญาณไฟ

ให้สัญญานไฟแก่คนขับคนอื่นๆ ให้ทราบล่วงหน้า กรณีที่จะเลี้ยว หรือเปลี่ยนช่องทาง เพื่อหลีกเลี่ยงการเกิดอุบัติเหตุ

5. Honk if you see danger

Vehicle horns are warning devices that should only be used in extreme situations. Avoid startling other drivers unless it's an emergency situation.

บีบแตร ถ้าเห็นว่าอยู่ในภาวะอันตราย

ใช้สัญญาณแตร ในกรณีที่อยู่ในสภาวะที่อันตราย หลีกเลี่ยงการทำให้ผู้ขับคนอื่นๆ ตื่นตกใจ นอกจากจะอยู่ในสภาวะที่ฉุกเฉิน

6. Slow down, slow down, slow down

Speed kills. Not only it does it reduce the time you have to react to a situation, but it also results in injury and death when an accident simply cannot be avoided.

ขับรถให้ช้าลงๆ

การขับรถเร็ว เป็นเหตุให้เสียชีวิตได้ ความเร็วที่สูงเกินไป ทำให้เวลาในการตัดสินใจต่อเหตุการณ์ของคุณลดลงอาจส่งผลให้เกิดการบาดเจ็บ หรือเสียชีวิตได้ ถ้าอุบัติเหตุ เป็นสิ่งที่ไม่อาจหลีกเลี่ยงได้

7. Slow down even more in low visibility

At night or in fog or rain, slow down even more. Keep low beams on in foggy conditions, and if the fog or precipitation becomes too thick, pull over and stop, being sure to leave your lights on.

ขับรถให้ช้าลงอีก เมื่อทัศนวิสัยไม่ดี

ในช่วงเวลากลางคืน หรือมีหมอกลง, ฝนตก ควรขับรถให้ช้าลงอีก ใช้ไฟต่ำเมื่อมีหมอกจัด และถ้าหมอกจัดมากขึ้น (หรือฝนตกหนักมากขึ้น) ให้จอดรถเข้าข้างทาง ให้แน่ใจว่าไม่ลืมเปิดไฟทิ้งไว้

8. Don't panic when skidding

If you're driving for the conditions and staying alert, chances are you won't go into a skid. But it can happen when road conditions change suddenly and without warning. If it does happen, stay cool. Take your foot off the accelerator and DO NOT hit the brakes. Gently turn your steering wheel in the direction of the skid.

อย่าตกใจ เมื่อรถเกิดการลื่นไถล

ถ้าคุณขับรถในสภาพปกติและมีความตื่นตัว มีโอกาสน้อยที่รถจะลื่นไถล แต่ถ้าเกิดขึ้น ให้ควบคุมสติ ให้ผ่อนเท้าจากคันแร่ง และอย่าเหยียบเบรค ให้ค่อยๆหมุนพวงมาลัย ไปในทิศทางที่ลื่นไถล

9. Avoid distractions

What would you think of an airline pilot coming in for a landing at a busy airport with a hamburger in one hand and cell phone cradled on his shoulder as he talks to his stock broker? You probably wouldn't feel very safe. Don't let it happen to you either as you pilot a one-ton missile at the landing speed of an airplane. Whether it's a cell phone, street map, fast food or the children in the back seat, don't let distractions take your mind away from the important task at hand-getting everyone to the destination safely. Carefully pull off the road and then deal with the situation.

หลีกเลี่ยง สิ่งรบกวน

คุณคิดยังไงเกี่ยวกับ กรณีที่นักบินแล่นลงในสนามบินที่พุกพล่าน แล้วมือหนึ่งถือแฮมเบอร์เกอร์ และยังหนีบโทรศัพท์ที่บริเวณไหล่คุยเรื่องหุ้น คุณคงรู้สึกไม่ค่อยมีความปลอดภัย. อย่าปล่อยให้เรื่องอย่างนี้เกิดกับคุณเช่นกันในขณะที่คุณกำลังขับเคลื่อนเหล็กหนัก 1 ตัน ไปตามทางวิ่งด้วยความเร็วเท่ากับที่เครื่องบินกำลังลงจอด เพราะฉะนั้นไม่ว่าจะ เป็นโทรศัพท์, แผนที่ถนน, อาหารสำเร็จรูป หรือเด็กๆ ที่อยู่ในเบาะหลัง คุณต้องไม่เสียสมาธิหรือไขว้เขว หน้าที่ของคุณคือพาทุกๆคนไปถึงจุดหมายปลายทางด้วยความปลอดภัย เพราะฉะนั้น นำรถเข้าข้างทางก่อน เพื่อจัดการเรื่องราวต่างๆ

10. Don't drink and drive

Need we say more?

เมาไม่ขับ

คงไม่ต้องกล่าวเพิ่ม

Wishing You All a Happy and Safe Holiday: From the Admin and Mods of ThaiVisa

:o

I think the English language parts are totally unnecessary - we know how to drive safely, thanks.

As for the Thai parts... are you trying to change the way Thais have been driving for decades with this one post? :o

Ugh

I think the English language parts are totally unnecessary - we know how to drive safely, thanks.

As for the Thai parts... are you trying to change the way Thais have been driving for decades with this one post? :D

*sigh* ... there's no pleasing some folks is there? :D

Can't you just take a well-intentioned message in the spirit with which it was sent? :o

Lighten up dude... it's Songkran. :D

Sawadee bpee mai.

:D

*sigh* ... there's no pleasing some folks is there? :D

Can't you just take a well-intentioned message in the spirit with which it was sent? :o

Lighten up dude... it's Songkran. :D

Sawadee bpee mai.

Yeah he was the same over in the "Draw bridge is up" thread as well :D Guess its getting close to the time for his annual bath, some people get real grouchy about that time of year :D

As for the Thai parts... are you trying to change the way Thais have been driving for decades with this one post? :o

But how would I know what this post is about if it was in Thai???

Happy Songkran, hope you have a great fun

We should drive like this every day, not just at Songkran!!!

Whinging Pom mode on!

I do sort of agree with Jai Yen Yen, a tad patronising as 99% of readers of this board already know how to drive safely (although a reminder can't do any harm). Songkran requires 151% attention to all the other idiots road users.

You forgot -- STOP at red lights (seems to have gone by the board already) and 'Just because you are flashing your headlights madly, it doesn't mean you have right of way'.

On a slightly different tack, does anyone else find the radio Thailand 'jingle' that says "To the provinces of Yalah, Patani and Naratiwat, we care, we share" just a tinsy bit patronising, I cringe every time I hear it.

EDIT: Other members have been ticked off (and posts removed) for using languages other than English in their posts (even when translations were included).

Whinge mode off :o:)

Edited by Crossy

These tips are good for those who don't know how to drive but they are not going to change anyone's driving habits. Mostly because they don't take into consideration existing "rules".

Take a car length for every 15 km/h - that means 6 car lengths at 90 km/h. This will never work here. You just CAN'T keep 30m distance on highways - there will always people cutting in front of you.

IMO, you should keep enough space for one car to cut in safely, about 10-15 m depending on speed, in case of emergency, not more. Watch when you pass the trucks in the left lane - there always are some opportunists who speed on the left and then cut right in front of you when they reach that truck. Don't try to block them - close the gap early enough, or if you are late, let them through peacefully.

Don't try to piss other drivers off and engage them in stupid racing - if someone cut you off, let it go.

Driving on hard shoulders will save you lots of time, but let other drivers go first, then watch carefully when they cut back - you'll need more time to squeese into heavy traffic than usually.

If someone flashes lights like a madman - let him go.

People speaking on cell phones drive slowly and you can overtake them on the left, just make sure they don't rear end you afterwards.

If you find a car that drives at about your speed - follow his lead, but don't try to stay right behind him - it's not a race, you just want to see where you can overtake safely.

Driving slowly pisses people off far more than driving fast, and pissed off people tend to lose their minds. You don't want a dozen of pissed off lunatics cursing and swearing and overtaking you in the most tight places.

When navigating through traffic, flash indicator lights in the last moment - too early and people might try to close the gap you are aiming at.

When cutting in, watch that cars in that lane do not slow down - the car you are cutting in front of might not expect you eating away all his breaking space.

Use your horn to prevent people from creeping into your lane - one or two short blasts.

Don't be ashamed of slowing down - it's a good fun to drive at 140 and weave through the traffic, but it won't last forever and don't try to prolong it - when there's no space left, hit the brakes. It's not a video game.

Generally drive like others do and keep the traffic flow - don't slam the brakes just because you see 60 km/h sign.

Always presume that there are plenty of drunk drivers around - don't expect them to react defensively to your actions, find your way through without disturbing the others.

That's off the top of my head for highway driving. Secondary roads, where most accidents happen, is a totally different story and need a different set of tips.

I'll be driving on Friday morning, but it's the drive back in the early evening that bothers me most.

Problem with Songkran is that there are so many yahoos around you don't know what to expect half the time.

Maybe I'll have a few beers and drive back on Saturday morning instead -

it's a lot safer early in the morning, pissheads with hangovers don't get up before 8, usually, but you never know on Songkran - it's the family that makes the decision when to go, not the driver.

The editing - two mistakes with days. I'm drunk now, but I'm not driving until the day after tomorrow.

Edited by Plus

These tips are good for those who don't know how to drive but they are not going to change anyone's driving habits. Mostly because they don't take into consideration existing "rules".

Take a car length for every 15 km/h - that means 6 car lengths at 90 km/h. This will never work here. You just CAN'T keep 30m distance on highways - there will always people cutting in front of you.

IMO, you should keep enough space for one car to cut in safely, about 10-15 m depending on speed, in case of emergency, not more. Watch when you pass the trucks in the left lane - there always are some opportunists who speed on the left and then cut right in front of you when they reach that truck. Don't try to block them - close the gap early enough, or if you are late, let them through peacefully.

If you equate this to the 2 second rule ( i.e. keeping a gap of 2 seconds between yourself and the car in front), then it would need 30 cars to jump in front of you before you lose 1 minute off your journey - are you really that desperate to get to your destination?

Having spent 7 years as a service engineer in the UK in the 80's/90's I took a couple of defensive driving courses, and the one consistent piece of advice was keep your distance from the vehicle in front. The instructors were a mix - ex police officers and a rally driver.

All in all tho' Britmaveric has the best advice: just don't drive during Songkran. :o

Thai drivers know da** well that a vehicle doing 50 km/h takes ~16.50m to come to a standstill. They too know that a vehicle doing 200 km/h on a wet road takes ~16.50m to come to a standstill. So what's the problem?

It's 'sleeping time' for the bike until after Sonkran. :D

walking... :D

walking... :o

still walking... :D ...and double :D

Still better than a coma (can't see the nurses)

• 4 years later...

1. Buckle up (What! I paid good money for this amulet!)

2. Stay Alert (I'm fine, only sleep at work)

3. Stay Back (What, and have someone else pull into the gap?)

4. Use your signal lights (What are these orange lights at the corner for?)

5. Honk if you see danger (I like this part!!! Noise is fun.)

6. Slow down, slow down, slow down (Don't understand.)

7. Slow down even more in low visibility (Want to get home, it's dark and there are ghosts)

8. Don't panic when skidding (What's that howling noise?)

9. Avoid distractions (The twenty kids throwing water from the pickup look after themselves anyway)

10. Don't drink and drive (Agree, you might spill it. Get your drinking done before you drive, then you can pass out as soon as you get home.)

If you're driving for the conditions and staying alert, chances are you won't go into a skid. But it can happen when road conditions change suddenly and without warning. If it does happen, stay cool. Take your foot off the accelerator and DO NOT hit the brakes. Gently turn your steering wheel in the direction of the skid.

ถ้าคุณขับรถในสภาพปกติ และมีความตื่นตัว มีโอกาสน้อยที่รถจะลื่นไถล แต่ถ้าเกิดขึ้น ให้ควบคุมสติ ให้ผ่อนเท้าจากคันแร่ง และอย่าเหยียบเบรค ให้ค่อยๆหมุนพวงมาลัย ไปในทิศทางที่ลื่นไถล

Jai Dee, Was this advice about skidding referring to a front wheels skid or a rear wheels skid? I don't want to be picky or anything (alright okay I do :D ) but theres certain times in a skid when taking ones foot off the acclerator may exhaserbate the problem :D ..... I only mention it because I'd hate to see someone here with a 'big backoff oversteer' situation happening :D (unless of course they're like me and enjoy driving this way) :)

Just goes to show you, licences shouldnt be handed out from the packet of morning cornflakes :D

ถ้าคุณขับรถในสภาพปกติ และมีความตื่นตัว มีโอกาสน้อยที่รถจะลื่นไถล แต่ถ้าเกิดขึ้น ให้ควบคุมสติ ให้ผ่อนเท้าจากคันแร่ง และอย่าเหยียบเบรค ให้ค่อยๆหมุนพวงมาลัย ไปในทิศทางที่ลื่นไถล

Jai Dee, Was this advice about skidding referring to a front wheels skid or a rear wheels skid? I don't want to be picky or anything (alright okay I do :D ) but theres certain times in a skid when taking ones foot off the acclerator may exhaserbate the problem :D ..... I only mention it because I'd hate to see someone here with a 'big backoff oversteer' situation happening :D (unless of course they're like me and enjoy driving this way) :)

Just goes to show you, licences shouldnt be handed out from the packet of morning cornflakes :D

The moment you take your foot from the accletator you need to step on the clutch pedal, and steering opposite direction.

Good luck Rally champions :D

The moment you take your foot from the accletator you need to step on the clutch pedal, and steering opposite direction.

Good luck Rally champions :D

SO true. Whether it's rear or front wheel drive! Steer into the skid BUT ALSO de-clutch as fast as you can, or get that stupid auto T lever into N (dam_n those automatics!). Give your tyres every chance to revolve freely and find grip again.

Advice from an Int rally driver of many successful, accident free, years.

Don't try to piss other drivers off and engage them in stupid racing - if someone cut you off, let it go.

Driving on hard shoulders will save you lots of time, but let other drivers go first, then watch carefully when they cut back - you'll need more time to squeese into heavy traffic than usually.

If someone flashes lights like a madman - let him go.

People speaking on cell phones drive slowly and you can overtake them on the left, just make sure they don't rear end you afterwards.

If you find a car that drives at about your speed - follow his lead, but don't try to stay right behind him - it's not a race, you just want to see where you can overtake safely.

Driving slowly pisses people off far more than driving fast, and pissed off people tend to lose their minds. You don't want a dozen of pissed off lunatics cursing and swearing and overtaking you in the most tight places.

When navigating through traffic, flash indicator lights in the last moment - too early and people might try to close the gap you are aiming at.

When cutting in, watch that cars in that lane do not slow down - the car you are cutting in front of might not expect you eating away all his breaking space.

Use your horn to prevent people from creeping into your lane - one or two short blasts.

Don't be ashamed of slowing down - it's a good fun to drive at 140 and weave through the traffic, but it won't last forever and don't try to prolong it - when there's no space left, hit the brakes. It's not a video game.

Generally drive like others do and keep the traffic flow - don't slam the brakes just because you see 60 km/h sign.

Always presume that there are plenty of drunk drivers around - don't expect them to react defensively to your actions, find your way through without disturbing the others.

That's off the top of my head for highway driving. Secondary roads, where most accidents happen, is a totally different story and need a different set of tips.

Congratulations! Totally excellent advice!

I only have 43 years of accident-free driving in 33 nations, inc 15 in Thailand (oh heck, what on earth will happen tomorrow?!) but I agree with your every word.

If you fancy co-writing a book and maybe helping to save a few lives, do PM me with your own e-mail address.

And to forestall the inevitable cynics, YES I know we are ALL perfect drivers and need to know nothing new. But only a few weeks ago when my little rear drive car slewed sideways at night on (invisible) spilled diesel oil with my wife and little boy in the back, I realised why I'd bothered to master skid control. All those years ago.

Kow jai?

Avoid driving during songkran is the only good advice. I was please to see the police roadblocks checking for drink driving this evening though..

Its tragic KNOWING that hundreds will die in the next 3 days*

*if the stats for the last 10 years are anything to go by...

Meanwhile, official highway death toll on the first day of long Songkran holiday nationwide stands at 45, while the injured reached 607 with a total number of 557 road accidents registered.
(TNA)