Snakes in Chiang Mai Province

danstarr

Snakes everywhere here. Be very csreful of Banded Krate it kills 85% of people if bites and very aggressive.. Cobra is a pussy compared to it. Best be informed and know where to go and get anti venom.. most snake bites are from people treading on them.. early morning when you sre not looking where you walk and in the dark are the mist dangerous times

• Like 1

The Cobra still gets style points

So the Banded Krait looks like this? Good info to have. Run like hell !!

banded-kraits-thailand-snake-farm-480.jp

During the Vietnam war we referred to it as the 'Two-Stepper'. A bit of an exaggeration of course but implied after getting bit you will die after taking two steps.

• Like 1

Good local website: http://www.thailandsnakes.com/

This is an awesome site for anyone to find out info on the snakes they see here in Thailand. Vern even has a section where you fill in the blanks about the snake you want identified and he will email you back with what he believes it is. I've asked for help many times about snakes I encounter here in Ubon. Vern always responds to my request. He also has some great You Tube videos.

• Like 1

Snakes everywhere here. Be very csreful of Banded Krate it kills 85% of people if bites and very aggressive.. Cobra is a pussy compared to it. Best be informed and know where to go and get anti venom.. most snake bites are from people treading on them.. early morning when you sre not looking where you walk and in the dark are the mist dangerous times

oops

"Venom Toxicity: Very toxic. Deadly. This yellow/black banded krait from Thailand is less toxic to humans than monocled cobra venom is, but still QUITE deadly"

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/venomous/banded-krait-venomous-deadly/

Cobras don't always inject venom when they bite something. They can do a "dry bite" if they want to.

I think they can decide how much, if any, venom they want to inject.

http://www.cobras.org/report.htm

I recall reading that the warning-off 'dry bite' is a skill that adult snakes have mastered and younger snakes will not have the experience nor muscle control to do, thus making a bite from a young snake potentially more dangerous.

I have a neighbor that found an adult cobra (type unknown) that had nested under a bed in their house, it had produced eggs that were hatching.

The combination of being an uninvited single Thai mother in your home that is capable of both injecting and spitting venom as well must make it the most dangerous thing on the planet.

The good snakes we get locally I know and will encourage to leave and go about their life elsewhere, "bad" snakes get to be recycled as ant food, unless one of The Village People (as I call them) want it.

Yes, yes, yes, "they" were here first etc etc etc, but we are here now and we have opposing thumbs to wield sticks while wearing protective glasses etc.

Here's one I killed earlier:

post-31633-0-83852200-1359200735.jpg

• Like 2

Banded kraits are actually not very aggressive, contrary to what someone else has claimed, which is a good thing, because their poison is very potent. Otherwise the chap in the red shirt would probably not be handling it like that. Cobras on the other hand are aggressive and irritated easily. I've had encounters with both, but nothing really scary. For those who like to spend time outdoors, especially in the forest, watch out for Malayan pit vipers. This year I've already seen three of them. They're quite common around here, and unlike other snakes they don't run away when humans show up. They just stay put as they're very well camouflaged and if you come too close they might strike.

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 1

From what I learned during a lecture which formed part of a guided tour of the Transvaal Snake Farm.

When out in the bundu stomp as you walk. This sets up vibrations in the ground that a snake can detect. Snakes do not want to be trodden on, by an elephant say, and will get out of your way. This does not apply to puff adders, a lethargic item that loves to bask on footpaths, and can strike at amazing speed. Snakes know that they cannot eat you so tend to save their venom for something edible. This explains dry bites or the injection of small amounts of venom i.e. they issue a warning. Snakes will usually only be aggressive if they do not have an avenue of escape, feel threatened or are females incubating eggs.

I have heard it said that snakes have very rudimentary nervous systems and can remain active although they are dead, rather like chickens running around before keeling over.

I have had a home up in the hills for nearly 30 years now and I am sorry to say that with the relentless eradication of habitat, I see far, far fewer snakes today than in past years. Today it is a rare sight to see a cobra scurrying away from the side of the road at the approach of a vehicle, a sight that was almost a daily occurance 20 years ago. That being said, it is still pretty rare to find a snake in a house, and even more rare to actually meet someone who had been bitten by a snake. Fortunately, my idiot borther in-law, who has been behaving very badly towards me, was bitten last year in his home not far from the commercial center of Mae Rim. So it does happen. Perhaps more often in developed areas than in the now ghostly upland forests where little stirs apart from insects.

I have had a home up in the hills for nearly 30 years now and I am sorry to say that with the relentless eradication of habitat, I see far, far fewer snakes today than in past years. Today it is a rare sight to see a cobra scurrying away from the side of the road at the approach of a vehicle, a sight that was almost a daily occurance 20 years ago. That being said, it is still pretty rare to find a snake in a house, and even more rare to actually meet someone who had been bitten by a snake. Fortunately, my idiot borther in-law, who has been behaving very badly towards me, was bitten last year in his home not far from the commercial center of Mae Rim. So it does happen. Perhaps more often in developed areas than in the now ghostly upland forests where little stirs apart from insects.

I was in the children's ward of a hospital near Mae Rim last week.

In the ward was a 4 year old girl that had been bitten by a cobra. The cobra had climbed the steps to her bedroom entered and bitten her arm. Her father was also bitten when trying to rescue his daughter. He killed the snake and took it to hospital with him and his daughter. The kid will be in hospital for about a month, many complications with her arm. The father was treated and released. They take the dead snake to hospital so it can be identified and the correct anti-venom administered.

Many snakes around both inside and outside cities. In cities they live in the sewers and storm drains and live off rats. In the tropics where there are rats, you will find snakes. Plenty of rats around the moat in CM.

Good local website: http://www.thailandsnakes.com/

This is an awesome site for anyone to find out info on the snakes they see here in Thailand. Vern even has a section where you fill in the blanks about the snake you want identified and he will email you back with what he believes it is. I've asked for help many times about snakes I encounter here in Ubon. Vern always responds to my request. He also has some great You Tube videos.

+1 Absolutely

Banded kraits are actually not very aggressive, contrary to what someone else has claimed, which is a good thing, because their poison is very potent. Otherwise the chap in the red shirt would probably not be handling it like that. Cobras on the other hand are aggressive and irritated easily. I've had encounters with both, but nothing really scary. For those who like to spend time outdoors, especially in the forest, watch out for Malayan pit vipers. This year I've already seen three of them. They're quite common around here, and unlike other snakes they don't run away when humans show up. They just stay put as they're very well camouflaged and if you come too close they might strike.

Cheers, CM-Expat

This is what bothers me the most about snakes. Like the ones that are not afraid of you, the (Malayan pit vipers). They stand their ground and will strike unexpectedly. Also, finding a cobra under my bed would be pretty traumatic as well. But at least most snakes in Thailand will avoid any contact with humans and depart at the earliest opportunity. Having snakes like rattlesnakes, copperheads from SE USA, and even Malayan pit vipers around Chaing Mai that stand their ground and strike freely are most dangerous and the ones I worry about.