Strava -- anyone using it?

GirlDrinkDrunk

www.strava.com

i use it to track how much time and distance i manage on my bike weekly, and it lets me know if i set a personal record on any segment i do regularly, for example laps of lumpini or benjakiti, or suan rot fai, the run home from my kids school, a circuit i like to do of prapdang etc

i find it really useful

Ye, I use it all the time I really like it.

I use it both in the UK and when I'm in Nakhon Phanom, only problem in Nakhon Phanom is it's pretty much flat around here and there is only one segment already that I can see.

I suppose I could create my own segments, but not so much fun if you're the only person repeatedly doing the same segment.

I also use garmin connect, endomondo and ritmo rating.

Regards

i dont rally care how i rate, especially since im on a mountain bike and most (all) of the segment bests around here are set on road bikes. I just love having a good ride and finding out you were 10 seconds faster without consciously pushing it.

i did 27k in prapapdaeng (bkk) today and got horribly lost. the map afterwards is hilarious.

and its all on my android phone which is a bonus.

I live in Samui and have this as does a few other guys staying here.

I find it great for a challenge personal or otherwise and seeing what other friends are doing in other countries

Also met a few guys as mates now I would never have know before.

cheers Foggy1

Someone just showed me strava.com and it really has a fantastic UI, very easy to use and available for all platforms. The app is definitely as must have for people who are into racing or do regular training sessions. You can instantly see how fast you went up Doi Suthep and how everybody else did. I don't use it personally, because the reasons why I ride don't have anything to do with racing and, hence, the speed with which a distance is covered is quite irrelevant to me.

Cheers, CM-Expat

I've been using it for a few months now. I love it for keeping track of my rides and the segments push me at times. I like it not so much as I realize just how I rate to the other cyclists around, I find myself in the bottom 5% here.

Oh, and about the segments. One of the guys above mention the lack of them, here it is the opposite. It seems like everywhere is a segment. When I know where they are and I try to avoid them it turns out there is one there also. If they were just hills it would be OK but here lots are in the flats.

Edited by eastbaybob

well, i set a new personal record pretty much every week since i started using it. I also have a three month running log of pretty much every kilometre i have done, and i find it inspiring to know i have don 1000 kms since my biking addiction re asserted itself.

while i am not rating that badly on the segment boards, it is much more important to me to shave that 10 seconds off my previous best, i think it is a great motivator to get that heart rate up and spin as hard as you can.

first lap i did of lumpini was over 6 mins. now i'm in the 5:30s.

For rides in places like prapadaeng, its just a bit of a laugh to see how lost you actually got on the map and have total ride distance and time moving stats.

the only caveat i have against strava is that on my android live distances and speeds are wrong, and don't correct themselves until uploaded, though i really don't spend much time looking at the app on the fly.

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly off topic, I am a regular weekend rider in Prapadaeng and nearly every week I find new routes (and get lost) in the lung of Bangkok. I have decided to invest in a smart phone especially for this so that I can mark off all my routes. Apparently, the only really detailed map of this area is used by the post office and they do not release copies to the public. Just need to determine which app would serve me best.