Why are some things so overpriced in Thailand and others not?

Tmymaimee

I am moving to Thailand shortly and plan on bringing a shipping container of used personal effects under a Thai person's name who owes me a favour. Some things that use electricity like TVs, refrigerators, vacuum cleaners, washing machines and so on are priced the same as home so I would just buy new in Thailand.

Other items I just can't wrap my head around for pricing. For example, a Brunswick pool table I would like to buy is 140,000 baht in Bangkok yet only $2,000 in the USA. Even with shipping and VAT, its still no where close. Other things like tools, furniture (not teak wood stuff), patio sets, barbecues, gas oven ranges, even a Yamaha piano I'm looking at are less than half price in the USA. If you buy used in new condition on Ebay, take another 25% off that.

Am I missing something here? I just shipped 2 pallets of personal belongings to the ex-wife and she had already been living in Thailand for the past year so never technically qualified for duty free imports as per the rules yet total taxes for her were zero. I shipped furniture, a computer, sewing machine, etc and just shipping costs of $800 on a ship for 6 weeks transit.

I can ship an entire container for $4000 from the USA west coast to Lam Chabaeng for $4000 with no weight limit. Maybe I should just fill the whole thing up with used personal effects off Ebay and start selling the stuff in Thailand.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you are American.

Nearly all, if not all Americans i know of complain about cost in LOSTD,

i dont know of any other nationality that complain,

on the contrary the rest think its cheap.

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 2

I'm not American. And I'm not complaining...I'm asking why something that costs $2000 in the US is 140,000 baht in Thailand. Even taking into account bulk shipping rates (maybe $200 for the pool table) and VAT, why the disparity? If someone said it was because a pool table is a "luxury good" then why are some other luxury goods priced in line with US prices plus shipping and VAT?

I emailed the pool table dealer for an explanation. If in fact its just opportunity, then why would someone not set up a mail order import business to take advantage of these price differences? Are Thai people not motivated to make money when they see these types of opportunities?

Someone could set up weekly shipping from Oregon (being tax free) and just fill containers based on prepaid orders for everything from tools, hardware, hobby supplies or anything else not available at a fair price in Thailand.

I'm not American. And I'm not complaining...I'm asking why something that costs $2000 in the US is 140,000 baht in Thailand. Even taking into account bulk shipping rates (maybe $200 for the pool table) and VAT, why the disparity? If someone said it was because a pool table is a "luxury good" then why are some other luxury goods priced in line with US prices plus shipping and VAT?

I emailed the pool table dealer for an explanation. If in fact its just opportunity, then why would someone not set up a mail order import business to take advantage of these price differences? Are Thai people not motivated to make money when they see these types of opportunities?

Someone could set up weekly shipping from Oregon (being tax free) and just fill containers based on prepaid orders for everything from tools, hardware, hobby supplies or anything else not available at a fair price in Thailand.

There is a 60% tax on some luxury goods and that is over the price plus shipping. Then the seller in Thailand wants to make some money and because its not a high turnover good the markup is higher.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

That's because everything is cheap in America; we have Walmart.

Walmart and Costco seem to be everywhere in Asia but Thailand and Philippines for some reason.

• Like 1

There is a 60% tax on some luxury goods and that is over the price plus shipping. Then the seller in Thailand wants to make some money and because its not a high turnover good the markup is higher.

Is there an actual published list of these items or is it at the discretion of the Thai Customs agent? I'm not too worried about the used household goods but would like to import a new pool table and an arcade pinball game along with used personal goods under a Thai name.

When i google, i see it myself, USA IS dirt cheap,

there is hardly an item that isnt cheap.

A big reason i'm longing for a visa card i can use to buy online btw.

ed: On the shipping, i strongly advice against it.

Too many cases where custom here at the harbor demand more than its worth to let it off the pier.

Edited by poanoi

How will your Thai friend clear your goods tax and duty free? That have recently lived in the states for a year and returned to Thailand?

Yes, 7 years in Canada. For what its worth, the ex wife was in Thailand for the past year and no taxes or duties on anything yet the rules say the Thai must be outside the country for the past year. Maybe the Customs people aren't too hard on this rule provided the goods belong to the importer who is Thai.

Is there an actual published list of these items or is it at the discretion of the Thai Customs agent? I'm not too worried about the used household goods but would like to import a new pool table and an arcade pinball game along with used personal goods under a Thai name.

Yes there is here it is

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

How will your Thai friend clear your goods tax and duty free? That have recently lived in the states for a year and returned to Thailand?

Yes, 7 years in Canada. For what its worth, the ex wife was in Thailand for the past year and no taxes or duties on anything yet the rules say the Thai must be outside the country for the past year. Maybe the Customs people aren't too hard on this rule provided the goods belong to the importer who is Thai.

In my experience the rule is a Thai must have been living in the country where the shipment originates for a minimum 12 months straight. No frequent returns to Thailand. Strictly enforced + you can't claim tax and duty free privilege 20 years after you returned to Thailand

Walmart and Costco seem to be everywhere in Asia but Thailand and Philippines for some reason.

I have come across costco in S.Korea but I have never seen a walmart anywhere in my entire life.

Where are these walmarts?

Yes there is here it is

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

Thank you...billiard tables duty free as per subheading 95.04 so now I really have to question this price difference..

I have come across costco in S.Korea but I have never seen a walmart anywhere in my entire life.

Where are these walmarts?

Sorry, China and Japan....my mistake.

yes because the Europeans are used to high prices from at home

Answering your question -

Yes, there is disparity in prices. This is found in any country. It looks like you have researched the issue enough. Besides there is your Thai wife to enlighten you.

You say you have shipped everything in her name. Hope you are a lucky guy. If not - your voyage home will be much cheaper.

BTW, $4,000 = 120,000 Bt. Most of your needs could be covered here. The other items are luxury, not needs. Try to get a simpler and happier life.

Possessions, especially not necessities, complicate our lives. Remember the camel and the eye of the needle.

Good luck.

120k could not cover anything. The op knows what he is doing.....A bbq here 63k same in usa 25k. Bed frame here 75k same in usa 30k. Linens here 15k same in usa 5k. Towel here 1000baht same in usa 180....

The shipping is peanuts compared to the savings ....

I think even a Walmart in LOS would have high prices due to the import duties. The US has free trade agreements with no import duties.

For instance, I bought a new Harley a couple of years ago in Oregon, US for $18,000 US and no sales tax. A good friend in Canada bought the same bike for US$25,000 due to Canada's import and sales taxes.

I bought a new loaded Ford F150 full 4 door, auto, 4x4 pickup with 4.6 ltr V8 engine for US$28,000 (874K baht) out the door with no sales tax. What would that cost me in LOS?

I could go on, but the internet will prove it. Things are really cheap in the US but by the time you pay duties to get them into Thailand, the duties can possibly equal what you paid for the items, doubling their price.

Container is limited to about 16,000 Kg.

You also have local pickup in the US, local delivery in Thailand, processing fees etc.

As far as tax and duty, you are at the whim of the customs department.

A $2,000 Brunswick is a pretty low end table. I'm sure you can get something as good locally for less money.

Also, be advised, anything you pack in a container better be well packed and secure.