Skype Issues

terak

I would check those figures to/from a UK point as they look like to/from Bangkok. Often the problem is in the international leg of the routing, also some ISPs cache speedtest results so they look good........ TIT

On Speedtest.net - uk server - 5Mbs & 350 ms latency.

Is there a better / more efficient way or do I live with Skypes minor problems

What destination (s) are you calling? I use different programmes for different destinations.

BTW skype sign in on my iPhone - just tried .

Edit: sorry missed you call the UK - that one I Skype as primary and magic jack as back up with top up minutes.

Edited by ToddWeston

What destination (s) are you calling? I use different programmes for different destinations.

Edit: sorry missed you call the UK - that one I Skype as primary and magic jack as back up with top up minutes.

All over, but always land lines.

Magic Jack - looks like you need a dongle of some description that can only be delivered to USA or Canada

Using your pc/laptop or phone ?
Skype over 3g is a lossy waste of time, but even via DSL it should be ok mostly.

I skype to Australia a lot, on a 5mbit connection and don't have issues

http://tdcat.com/2013/03/07/improving-skype/

http://www.imqq.com/

This is quite decent for voice. It isn't NSA friendly either.

- turn off the auto volume adjustment

- add 20db boost

- get rid of white noise in the background

- buy a decent microphone

- buy a decent microphone

Don't understimate the benefit of a good mic.

I think Sennheiser are fantastic, even their low end stuff is decent. I've found the low end logitech to be awful, however their better cams are fantastic.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/internet-telephony-headset-mono-pc-11,
I used one of these for years and could carry on a conversation across a large room.

The whole post slightly confuses me. I use Skype on a weekly basis to the US, and it works great. Also, entirely free. Also, I am sorry for those that can not use Magic Jack. The sound clarity is so much better & faster voice than any of the Thai companies and is absolutely free without ads. It is too bad that it is limited to just the US and Canadian phone numbers that you can call. They also give you a dedicated number where Us or Canadians number can call you for free. I have not figured this out yet, but do have a friend that lives here in Thailand 4 months a years and call me for free from the states, using Magic Jack.