Desiccant or equivalent?

beb

I'm looking for something to remove humidity from a cabinet and looking for something that will do the job for me. I've read here that Tesco, Big C etc. have the commercial products that pull moisture out of the air but can't seem to find it. Can somebody please suggest a product and where it can be found, including the section of the store please?

My mother uses Damprid and it seems to do a great job for her but I don't expect to find the exact same product http://www.damprid.com/

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks!

In Papua New Guinea in the wet season, when the shoes grew green mould, we lowered the humidity in the clothes cupboards by using a small 80watt bar heater. Cupboards on the Uni campus were built with a power outlet in them for this purpose. (As the temperature rises, the Relative Humidity decreases)

As that type of heater in not likely to be available here, you could possible use one of those old-fashioned lamps/globes with the tungsten coil in them. Keep them away from clothes as they get hot.

We did this to keep microscopes dry, as the humidity wrecks the lens of these and also cameras once the R.H. is above 65%.

Using chemicals or other dessicants could be an expensive hobby.

"Photo Bug" sells large bags of silica gel beads for about 150 baht. When dry, they are bright blue. After absorbing their full share of moisture they turn dull purple. Put them in a glass dish in the microwave for 30 seconds, two or three times, to return them to the bright blue condition and back to a working state. They last indefinitely.

• Like 1

Put these coordinates into Google maps and look at it in street view. They have a Yellow sign with blue English letters.

18.789248, 99.000364

It might be best to do a search for the silica bags first and take a pic with you, or if your phone has internet, you can show them on it.

Edited by Kiniyeow

Tesco and BigC both carry a product called Farcent which comes in plastic boxes, cheap enough and very effective simple osmosis filter, we used to buy it by the case load when living in Phuket, put it in the wardrobes to keep clothes mildew free.

The Damprid, mentioned by the OP, is calcium chloride in a fancy package. I've seen similar products at Tops, Rim Ping, Central Dept store. The container must be replaced periodically when the calcium chloride salts become saturated.

In a former life, we used to buy calcium chloride in 50 lb bags for other purposes. You could just put some in a plastic container and place in a damp place. Of course, that's not as safe as one of the commercial packaged products, but OK in a household without small children. You could probably find large bags of calcium chloride in agricultural supply stores, but that's probably way too much for the average household.

Regular table salt, sodium chloride, doesn't work as well as calcium chloride for moisture removal. Nor does it work as well for snow and ice control, which is why we bought calcium chloride in 50 pound bags.

Edited by NancyL

The consumer camera shop on the basement level of Kad Suan Kaew, next to KFC, sells little packets of Silica Gel, but they cost 80 baht for two the size of tea bags.

A professional camera shop will have half-pound bags for just a few baht more.

Any chemical supply shop in the city will also have liter bottles of silica gel for about 200 baht.

Tesco and BigC both carry a product called Farcent which comes in plastic boxes, cheap enough and very effective simple osmosis filter, we used to buy it by the case load when living in Phuket, put it in the wardrobes to keep clothes mildew free.

wink.png

homepro as well. the boxes and refill bags look like this:

http://www.farcent.com/en/productsInfo_list.php?lv01_type=4&lv02_brand=14

basically calcium cloride in a nice container and a bit of extra scent stuck in. found in the aisle with the room deodorisers.

• Like 1

I found Chiang Mai Plastics with a little more digging (thanks to everybody for the help). It shows up on google maps in the wrong location and is actually here: https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=217456347610484169194.0004b33c770c4eef9df30&msa=0&ll=18.78947,99.003918&spn=0.002387,0.00824&iwloc=0004e394957a865db1695

They were closing up when I got there and I couldnt' find it before they ran me out so I'll have to try again later. But I'm thinking a bulk supplier would probably be better so I'm going to investigate the other suggestions as well.

Thanks!post-94720-0-50715300-1376183281_thumb.p

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on my search. I found another thread that led me to a science supply shop on Suthep road called Union Science that sells desicant in 1 kb bags for about 135 baht I think. Exactly what i wanted. now to just find some of those tea bags people talk about.

http://goo.gl/maps/aKW2B

You can find the tea bags in Daiso, the Japanese 100 Yen shop (here in Chiang mai it's more like 65baht) right next to the Rimping supermarket near Airport Plaza. The tea bags are facing the cash register mixed in with the coffee filters.

• Like 1