Malaysian Grand Prix F1 Race Questions

jeepholt

Hi all, I hope your experiences can help us out here? I think we have finally saved enough baht (I hope) to go to the Formula 1 race in Malaysia this year and am wondering if any of you have any input and recommendations you could provide us? For instance: what hotels, transportation in Malaysia, race seats, shopping for the missus, etc. Would it be better to make our own arrangements for airfare, hotel, race seats, and transport to and from the race track, or would you recommend using a package deal (for instance travel agent "Mr. Boon" in Pattaya has packages I hear)? I also just got out of many days in Bamrungrad hospital in BKK for major surgery on my backside and hear that it can take 10 or 12 hours spent going to and from the racetrack on buses and also time spent sitting and waiting for the qualifying rounds and the race itself on Sunday. I am a bit concerned as to whether I can handle all that walking and sitting on a pretty sore bum in only about 3 weeks time, so would appreciate your input about if it is worth it to go all 3 days or just Sunday, and approximately how long you actually need to spend getting to and from the track on race days? Do you recommend taking ear plugs, binoculars and umbrellas, or anything else to the track? Depending on return flight times, what do you do with your baggage if you check out of your hotel early Sunday morning and go straight to the airport from the track? I will be taking my Isarn wife of 23 years with me since she hasn't had a holiday in all those years, so if anyone can recommend any nightspots to visit in Kuala Lumpur, please keep in mind that we are not spring chickens anymore, just naive about what to expect in Malaysia for the race. Sorry about all the questions, but would just like to know the pro's and con's and any recommendations you all may have and figure that this forum is the best place to be for this type of local info. Thanks in advance for any help. :o

I have forwarded your questions to a race fan friend in Kuala Lumpur. If/when I receive a response, I'll post it here.

Thanks for forwarding the questions to your mate. I also hope there is someone on the forum who has been to the F1 Race who can answer a few of the questions? :o

I drove down from Phuket the year before last, I looked for a hotel when I got there, and found one in the Indian section of KL, (the curries were excellent), it was a 45+45 minute drive out & back to the circuit each day, but at least I wasn't far from the action night time (forgotten the name of the hotel)

There are quite a few events in the middle of KL during the F1 (it's buzzin) and night time it is very busy too.

I went to the Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Friday was deserted, Saturday was less than half full, and Sunday was packed.

My advice is don't bother with Friday or Saturday, there's only a little F1 action on these days and lots of soupped up Proton action, not exactly exciting!

I had the most expensive seats right on the start/finish line, but I think if I go again I'd get seats in the stand at the end of the main straight, there is a shicane (?) there aswell as a big TV screen and nice view of the straight, the stand is K1, and they were much better value than the over priced pit straight.

Ear plugs, binoculars, yes indeed.

If you need a guide to go with you, let me know, I'll do the driving.

J

Shopping in KL, yikes, get your credit card well loaded!

Thanks for the tips Jay. I definitely appreciate the advice. I will try to book only on the Sunday race and will see if I can get seats in K1 section. I was going to book for all 3 days even though I knew that it would be grueling, and I was also going to take the cheaper grandstand seats on the opposite side of the start/finish line. Of course I don't know how you would know for sure who won? I think we will fly down since I feel I will have enough sitting time at the track! and I just had surgery on my backside... :D If anyone else has any tips for us, please let me know before I book tickets. Thanks and also Go Shumi, or Kimi or Montoya, or ??? Glad to hear the shopping is expensive since I'm one of the lucky ones who married a very kee neow Isarn girl 20 years ago and she won't spend anything that isn't a major bargain... I hope... :o