Are thais really that tolerant ?

benalibina

No problem with gays, lesbians and ladyboys but they absolutely despise Cambodians, Vietnamese, Burmese, Indians, Arabs, Blacks.

You're just regurgitating stuff you've read on TV, aren't you?

As a black man, I can't say I've ever seen, heard or felt anything that would lead me to believe that I'm despised by the Thais.

Sorry to tell you mate but a lot of Thais claim not to like black / indian / arabs / their neighbours. I've heard it from lots of Thai people not from people on this forum. Thai people I know who are otherwise intelligent and seemingly sane saying down right racist and stupid things about other races.

Add that to a couple of guest houses and bars I've seen where there are signs saying no black men allowed. One in Kowsan area and the other I forget where.

Then all the profiles on Thai friendly saying "No black guys / Indians / Arabs".

I think it's safe to say that plenty of Thai's claim not to like certain races...whether they show that to those people I don't know.

Sorry to tell you mate but a lot of Thais claim not to like black / indian / arabs / their neighbours. I've heard it from lots of Thai people not from people on this forum. Thai people I know who are otherwise intelligent and seemingly sane saying down right racist and stupid things about other races.

Add that to a couple of guest houses and bars I've seen where there are signs saying no black men allowed. One in Kowsan area and the other I forget where.

Then all the profiles on Thai friendly saying "No black guys / Indians / Arabs".

I think it's safe to say that plenty of Thai's claim not to like certain races...whether they show that to those people I don't know.

"Claim" is the operative word, isn't it?

A couple of guesthouses and bars?? A couple??!! In a city of millions??!! Yeah I suppose that qualifies as a lot of them.

Are you seriously rolling profiles on an internet dating site out as support for your assertions?

I've never, ever seen profiles with caveats like that and even if I had, there could be any number of reasons for not wanting blacks, Indians or Arabs.

It could be because Caucasians are more disposed to er . . . financial largesse than other races and are therefore more popular. It could be something as stupid as thinking all blacks are hung like horses and they don't want the er . . . discomfort.

Even the apparently highly-educated, regularly-employed women that you, personally, claim to have such unprecedented success with tell you what they think you want to hear.

Hmm, I wish I'd gone to your last sentence first.

Anyway, while you sit there thinking you're insulated by virtue of being white, bear this in mind; Thai people have claimed they dislike white people intensely because they're considered borderline alcoholics, boorish, arrogant, foul-mouthed and disrespectful.

5 minutes later, those same Thais are raising a glass and laughing and joking with those same white people.

Of course, I'm not gullible enough to believe what acquaintances - especially Thai ones - tell me.

Are you?

• Like 1

Thais don't talk to foreigners about such things.

I agree. Whoever can get his/her Thai friends (outside of marriage) to discuss any number of sensitive topics has really made quite a breakthrough.

Check out Thai Cultural Mandates and, in particular, Mandate 2.

They don't care much about what you do so long as it doesn't affect them. However, if your choices are thought to affect them, then you might learn of a different story. As such, I think Thais (and Asians, in general) are largely indifferent - not really tolerant. They care only about their circles (family circle, friends circle, regular acquaintances circle)

I think Paully nailed it. Thais are just indifferent to anything other than their friends and family's advice. Gays and trans-gender people are just part of the every day scene. Depending on where they live will have some influence on their perception of life in general.

Thanks for the candor of the above post.

EDITED to add ... apart from obviously Thais ... who do they favour you to hire?

Because of their English abilities, do the Philippines rate?

The above assumption is that you are in the School system?

Edited by David48

Here is the list of whom I am not suppose to hire, regardless of qualifications:

--Blacks

--Indians

--Arabs/Iranians/Muslims

--Other Asians

The complaints come from the parents of children who don't want these groups as well as the administration. Occasionally, they do get hired simply because they are the best qualified or they carry a passport from a country such as Australia, Canada, UK or US. The administration do not like when it, though and consider me as trying to 'fool' them when I say someone is American, for example.

Thais are rather tolerant, but there is a great deal of discrimination and prejudice. Usually, if people from these groups are on staff and are reasonably well behaved, they are not treated differently.

I might add that I haven't found farangs to be liked a whole lot better. I have also found they don't like facial hair, they don't like old people (looking old) and they don't like fat people.

It's hard for me to understand a long term expat being surprised by this post.

Here is the list of whom I am not suppose to hire, regardless of qualifications:

<snip>

It's hard for me to understand a long term expat being surprised by this post.

Who has expressed surprise?

It's been only you and me who have commented since Scott posted?

Good topic. Apart from the odd Thai 'bogun', while they probably keep schtum more so than most cultures (possibly the face thing and ultimately to avoid confrontation), you can bet your bottom dollar they're thinking about it just like anyone else. I think it's kind of cool that they're laid-back like that, though, and also that it's nice to read a topic where they're, generally, not being slagged off by default.

• Like 1

Good topic. Apart from the odd Thai 'bogun', while they probably keep schtum more so than most cultures (possibly the face thing and ultimately to avoid confrontation), you can bet your bottom dollar they're thinking about it just like anyone else. I think it's kind of cool that they're laid-back like that, though, and also that it's nice to read a topic where they're, generally, not being slagged off by default.

Totally agree we should not slag Thais off, its a different culture, they probably think we are barmy with we think is normal. I fore instance am surprised that Thais seem to be unaware of what is going on around them, just suddenly stopping in the car, double parking opposite someone else who has done the same thing, they dont seem to consider other road users, yet other road users just accept thats what they do, to us its most inconvenient. Now I accept this behaviour as what to expect I am better prepared for it because it is not going to change tomorrow. Observe and adapt, taking a deep breath helps too!

Generally though we get on pretty well, just have to learn to leave aggression at home it does not help here.

• Like 1