Problem with guy parking in front of my restaurant

RaysFan

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got beaten up for saying using small paper notes during mid term exams are cheating at a Uni.

No such thing as common sense exists in this country.

Best advice is to get used to how people and their way of doing things are. It's hard but pretending to be stupid by being smart can save your life.

• Like 1

Some people still arnt quite getting it... Bringing race into it and things... I'm sure race is a very small factor... But this guy is a problem for everyone around. I am right next door to a big hotel owned by a Thai, he had to take this guy to court. A few years ago he was parking in front of my Thai neighbors restaurant... And its not just his bus, its any vehicle he can... When his bus isnt here, its car, when thats not here its his pickup... Anyways, over the last 2 days Ive been able to beat him to the punch, yesterday morning I put cones out there and left them all day and over night, today I got a sign put out there that I attached to wheels so I can move it. This will all be illegal tomorrow after the holiday, but I will see what happens. I see he has the vehicles parked down the road today, which is where he should park everyday because they arnt blocking anything, its just a long wooden fence.

Looks like you are doing the right thing for the moment, lets see what his next moves will be

Putting cones to block a public street is the right thing? It is just another act that indicates he thinks he owns or has some right to control the road and which pisses a lot of people off.

I presume you don't own a car otherwise you could put it in front of your restaurant. Suggest you rent one for one month.

buy one vehicle cheaply from bone yard and leave it there permanently

you won't feel pain if he damage it

Get a couple of them, have them painted to look unique and fun, and make them part of the restaurant in regards to something people will remember. I don't know what kind of restaurant you own, but a cow print Volkswagen Beetle for example, would be something to remember. Get creative, get some art students to do it up, and reclaim those spots with your own vehicles.

And what about the illegal parking hours? ...

I got beaten up for saying using small paper notes during mid term exams are cheating at a Uni.

Best advice is to get used to how people and their way of doing things are. It's hard but pretending to be stupid by being smart can save your life.

Physically beaten up?

You are right. Common sense does not exist here.

Excellent first post.

Edited by mesquite

This thread has got a lot of traction.

I cannot believe all the hostile aggressiveness though. Posters recommending a retaliatory action should get a check up at Suan Pruang. There is never a need for escalation or criminal acts or even those tit for tatters suggesting to block him. What is good for the goose is not good for the gander.

Doing anything to the bus owner is wrong. He is not a bad man. He is just self absorbed like everyone else. He needs to park his bus near his shop and does what he can. He is not doing it deliberately to hurt the OP. If the shoe was on the other foot and it was your bus, I assume that you would like your neighbors to understand your dilemma also.

The other posters that keep banging the drum about the legality and fairness of him parking.If the OP stated the hours when it is legal to park, just believe him and stop trolling. In fact there are many locations that parking is not permitted overnight in this city. The ones that are signs for only afternoon hours are those that are near schools usually.

I am just shocked at how such a simple problem has turned into 5-6 pages of insanity. So many assumptions, so many trolls, so many mental issues showing through people's posts.

I don't see where the OP said that his business wasn't legal, or didn't have a work permit but there were 4-5 posts about this. I really don't see why people cannot respond to the topic of the thread and leave all their judgements, assumptions before entering a civil discussion.

OP, your options are contact a lawyer, go to a temple and talk to a monk and learn to meditate, or ignore and forgive the man.

Personally, I would apologize to him for confronting him before. You might do better if you just say to him. " I am sorry for getting upset about your parking. I understand that there isn't any good places for you to park. My problem is that your bus blocks my restaurant so people don't know it is there. I am losing business because people walk by on the other side and don't see where we are. I am sorry if I offended you and sorry that you have had problems with some other shop owners. Is there something that we can work out so both of us can be happy?"

Even better if you could have it written phonetically in Thai and recite it. Showing the effort might help build a relationship with him. And bring him a bottle of whiskey or a beer or some nice meal from your place.

• Like 2

5 6 pages and thousands of words about what???

A restaurant owner believes he has a problem with someone parking in front of his business.

Lets look at some facts.

The guy that owns and parks the bus there was legally [ in court ] prohibited from parking his bus at a nearby hotel

The bus owner now parks in a legally prescribed zone [within hours] on the public street.

Apparently no one else objects to this with the exception of the restaruant owner OP'er

The restaurant owner does not own the street , so is not permitted to block the thoroughfare in anyway.

If the bus owner will not or does not want to move his legally parked [during hours] bus , why should he have to??

The bus owner, doing nothing wrong, does not have to move the legally parked bus unless he wants to.

For the restaurant owner to get the bus owner to move the bus, he must get the bus owner to want to move it.

Argueing, fighting, threatening , I don't think will get the bus owner to want to move it.

Until the governing council enacts a law, that in generality says the business owners have control of the street or parking in front of their business, the business owner cannot say who and who cannot park there, just because he likes it or doesn't like it. Just because others do something illegal, does not mean its automatic that anyone else can do the same.

Now short of some illegal or underhanded action, which is never recommended, the business owner has two choices.

He can negiotiate with the bus owner and entice him to WANT to move the bus.

or

He can move his business.

This comes down to people opening a business without adequate knowledge of areas and conditions, plus many other things that one should investigate BEFORE opening a business. In other words exercising due diligence

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 2

I used to know a falang in a Thai seaside resort who had a similar dispute with a localman. Eventually, after trying a great deal of friendly persuasion, he became so frustrated that he confronted his tormentor and they came to blows.

Subsequently, the falang was set upon my four or five hired gorillas and beaten to death in the street.

The culprits were eventually arrested (the poor man's Thai wife identified them), and received only fines after claiming the falang said insulting things about a certain individual who is beyond reproach here.

This is terribly, terribly wrong and utterly appalling. But this is Thailand and there is no way of winning any dispute with the locals. Suck it up or move on.

• Like 1

Physically beaten up?

Excellent first post.

Yes, physically.

• Like 1

Physically beaten up?

Excellent first post.

Yes, physically.

Sorry to hear. Very good advice in your post.

I had the same problem, I live in a student town and a student was parking his car outside our coffee shop and stopping motorcycles from parking there (our main customers use motorbikes)

Also at night I could not park up my own car.

I bought some red cones and placed them allong the road, I got the council to put in a step in the road leading in to the coffee shop, we put up a tent board in the road that prevents cars, then we put a note on his car that read in Thai: " You cannot park your car here"

Up to now he has parked elsewhere and our frontage is now clear for customers. (he got the message)

Your guy sounds like a red neck type so I guess my solutions would not be strong enough for him.

You could pay the council and the police to paint red lines outside you cafe but that would stop you from parking there as well!! If you pay the police enough you might get permission to clamp his veichles!

"Dificult" please keep me posted.

What makes you think you own the road in front of your premises? It is a public road and you have no right to commandeer it. That is just arrogance.

• Like 2

Who owns the public beaches?

Business often appropriate the land in front of their shop. I hate that too.

Again the issue is that according to the OP the driver is leaving his bus parked illegally overnight. The OP has no issue with the bus being their during legal hours as it does not affect his business and by all respects seems to be a reasonably minded person.

and Sorry Ray ray, I don't believe you one bit that you got physically beat up for telling someone not to use small pieces of paper during a test.

I also don't believe the anecdotal murder story of Kraitai boy.

Call me a skeptic but I don't believe hearsay or unsubstantiated stories full of fear propaganda.

post-181684-0-79333900-1376367919_thumb.

I had the same problem, I live in a student town and a student was parking his car outside our coffee shop and stopping motorcycles from parking there (our main customers use motorbikes)

I bought some red cones and placed them allong the road, I got the council to put in a step in the road leading in to the coffee shop, we put up a tent board in the road that prevents cars, then we put a note on his car that read in Thai: " You cannot park your car here"

Up to now he has parked elsewhere and our frontage is now clear for customers. (he got the message)

Your guy sounds like a red neck type so I guess my solutions would not be strong enough for him.

You could pay the council and the police to paint red lines outside you cafe but that would stop you from parking there as well!! If you pay the police enough you might get permission to clamp his veichles!

What makes you think you own the road in front of your premises? It is a public road and you have no right to commandeer it. That is just arrogance.

Most of the new restaurants I try are from me driving by and seeing them.

I would be upset too if there was a big bus parked in front of my shop.

I dont think there is a wheel clamp large enough for buses, maybe the OP can get one custom made and donate it to the BIB to clamp the bus.

After a few fines, I think he'll get the message. ***DING DING DING we have a winner***

5 6 pages and thousands of words about what???

A restaurant owner believes he has a problem with someone parking in front of his business.

Lets look at some facts.

The guy that owns and parks the bus there was legally [ in court ] prohibited from parking his bus at a nearby hotel

The bus owner now parks in a legally prescribed zone [within hours] on the public street.

Apparently no one else objects to this with the exception of the restaruant owner OP'er

The restaurant owner does not own the street , so is not permitted to block the thoroughfare in anyway.

If the bus owner will not or does not want to move his legally parked [during hours] bus , why should he have to??

The bus owner, doing nothing wrong, does not have to move the legally parked bus unless he wants to.

For the restaurant owner to get the bus owner to move the bus, he must get the bus owner to want to move it.

Argueing, fighting, threatening , I don't think will get the bus owner to want to move it.

Until the governing council enacts a law, that in generality says the business owners have control of the street or parking in front of their business, the business owner cannot say who and who cannot park there, just because he likes it or doesn't like it. Just because others do something illegal, does not mean its automatic that anyone else can do the same.

Now short of some illegal or underhanded action, which is never recommended, the business owner has two choices.

He can negiotiate with the bus owner and entice him to WANT to move the bus.

or

He can move his business.

This comes down to people opening a business without adequate knowledge of areas and conditions, plus many other things that one should investigate BEFORE opening a business. In other words exercising due diligence

There you go again Gonzo using facts and sound reasoning.

The OP has it high on his agenda to win the game with the bus owner. The bus owner did not respond to the OPer's repeated Man to Man talks and the OPer is out to show him who is boss. The bus owner is a bad guy and needs to be set straight and the OPer has done everything right, in his views. It is about the "principle" of it now, it is not about reaching a pragmatic win win solution. It is a judgmental emotional issue about a farang trying to save face.

• Like 1

The OP is in a difficult position- the Thai guy is jerking him around because... he can. If the OP has an "influential" friend that out ranks the trouble makers "influential" friend, then the problem is solved :)

The OP is in a difficult position- the Thai guy is jerking him around because... he can. If the OP has an "influential" friend that out ranks the trouble makers "influential" friend, then the problem is solved :)

I think you have just come up with another solution. :)

OP... Why do not do some kind of charity event and invite mayor of the city, chief of police, local media etc.

Even if mayor not come, he will send someone from city hall. May be if the bus owner just sees this people will be enough , if not can always have a chat with either mayor or someone from city hall to "help"

He has a perfect right to park there. You have no control of the road in front of your business.

You missed this part? "Legally he is allowed to park there from 10am-330pm during week days and all weekend is ok". They are parking outside of the legal hours.

He is allowed to park at all times that the parking is not restricted. Can you tell me anywhere in Chiangmai that has signs saying no parking from 3.3.o to 10am. I would almost bet not. There are time retrictions between 3.3. and 5.30 or 6 .oo though.

Roads do not belong to the business. SIdewalks do not either though some think they do.

Its called courtesy, mutual respect, consideration for others. But look at it a different way, try parking a tour bus in front of a Thai business and tell the irate Thai that he doesn't own the road.

Then tell us how that worked out for you...

• Like 2

I am only copying the Thais on this behavior, yes I must becoming arrogant, but when in Rome Thailand do as the Romans Thais do.

• Like 1

Some of you are missing the point here... during the legal hours of parking on the road... sure, the spot is free game, I dont own the road. But on week days after 330 pm its illegal to park on the road. And my business happens to open at 5... so really as long as hes gone by 5 im happy. Ive explained this to him many times. He somehow sees this as my problem, not his. I like the idea of parking my own vehicle there but at this time I only have 1 car... maybe I will purchase a cheap scooter and just leave it there permanently. ... not sure if he would just park in front of it though. .. people like this man... its just amazing. No regard for anyone at all. And yes they are Buddhist. ..

Sent from my GT-I9500

Most scooter owners park front wheel against the kerb and 90 degrees to it and cycles too!

Edited by Anon999

Some of you are missing the point here... during the legal hours of parking on the road... sure, the spot is free game, I dont own the road. But on week days after 330 pm its illegal to park on the road. And my business happens to open at 5... so really as long as hes gone by 5 im happy. Ive explained this to him many times. He somehow sees this as my problem, not his. I like the idea of parking my own vehicle there but at this time I only have 1 car... maybe I will purchase a cheap scooter and just leave it there permanently. ... not sure if he would just park in front of it though. .. people like this man... its just amazing. No regard for anyone at all. And yes they are Buddhist. ..

Sent from my GT-I9500

Most scooter owners park front wheel against the kerb and 90 degrees to it and cycles too!

The posters here who say "just put up with it" have clearly not run businesses that depend on at least some level of visibility. If a bus parks in front of your shop occasionally and your takings take a hit on those days well, that's just life - you don't own the road outside, but habitual parking that threatens your livelihood is a whole different game. Due diligence may reveal something like that (and in the OP's case it does sound as if they could have foreseen at least some problems) but in this land of no zoning, no planning and no recourse, anything can happen at any time even in what appears to be a well regulated environment like a mooban.

So the guy isn't parking illegally, just selfishly and he clearly knows it. He's got a problem and he's happy to make it someone else's. Do what all the Thai businesses do and make parking outside your shop inconvenient or impossible - today I saw three old bicycles parked at 90 degrees to the road effectively making parking impossible outside a restaurant adjacent to Gecko Garden and the same story is repeated along the street with some creative variations in the obstructions. Getting out to move them requires that the driver knows that they are at the very least offending their neighbours and it's tedious and potentially embarrassing too.

Try it.

• Like 2

Let's be creative and positive ... propose the guy to advertise your restaurant on his bus with a big sticker, and he can park anytime.

Win / Win.

Bonus point, if you can work with him to bring his passengers to eat at your restaurant.

Don't focus on the problem ... focus on the solutions.

Do what all the Thai businesses do and make parking outside your shop inconvenient or impossible

All Greenside? In Chiang Mai?

Probably closer to 5%.

"all" as in all the ones who have a similar problem.

"probably closer to 5%" - you have no more idea about this figure than I do.

Loose phrasing, I grant you, but your point (other than nit picking) is....?

Do what all the Thai businesses do and make parking outside your shop inconvenient or impossible

All Greenside? In Chiang Mai?

Probably closer to 5%.

"all" as in all the ones who have a similar problem.

"probably closer to 5%" - you have no more idea about this figure than I do.

Loose phrasing, I grant you, but your point (other than nit picking) is....?

Get real.

Let's be creative and positive ... propose the guy to advertise your restaurant on his bus with a big sticker, and he can park anytime.

Win / Win.

Bonus point, if you can work with him to bring his passengers to eat at your restaurant.

Don't focus on the problem ... focus on the solutions.

laugh.pnglaugh.png

Your bonus point makes me laugh...... If the bus sits there all day where are the passengers going..... no where. Makes me think , what is the busfare. If it sits there all day, with passengers, maybe its not being used as a bus , but rather a guest house.tongue.png