Russia will enforce anti-gay propaganda law at Sochi Olympics, govt says

News_Editor

Really, really sad what's going on in Russia right now. I genuinely feel for the safety of gays and lesbians in Russia. Just saw some Russian politician this morning on CNN going on and on about gays, using very vicious language (something along the lines of gays should never donate blood/organs, or they'll infect normal Russians; heart of dead gays should be burned and buried...vile stuff). When the leadership speaks of any minority group in this way, they are literally inviting violence and persecution of said group. Again, very sad.

• Like 2

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You beat me to it - I was just in the process of writing an apology for going off-topic and saying that Nikolay, etc should be continued, if at all, where it started (where I'll be quite happy to reply to post # 24 if it's repeated there)

Getting back to the Olympics issue, I would be interested in an answer to my question back in post # 32, which I'll take the liberty of repeating in case it got lost in the diversion:

It's about the legal terms and conditions of hosting the International Olympic Games and about the atmosphere and the spirit of it.

It's been pointed out the Russian Government already is backtracking on a statement it had made a month ago.

So what ACTUAL "legal terms and conditions of hosting the International Olympic Games" is the new law breaking?

... and how can a law which ONLY prevents anything concerning sexual deviation from what is the traditional Russian norm (sorry about that mouthful, but it is not specifically "anti-gay" even though that is its effect) being passed to children, especially via the media, have anything at all to do with "the atmosphere and the spirit" of the Olympic Games?

However much anyone may condemn the laws, and believe that children should be encouraged to understand and accept all sexual preferences between consenting adults, I can't see that sex education is the role of the Olympic Games.

Gay athlete plans to wear rainbow pin to Sochi Olympics in Russia

http://dailyxtra.com/world/news/gay-athlete-plans-wear-rainbow-pin-sochi-olympics-in-Russia

Despite ongoing persecution of gay people in Russia, Blake Skjellerup, a gay speed skater from New Zealand, says he will be wearing a rainbow pin to the Sochi Olympic games in 2014, and “If that gets me in trouble, then so be it.”
“For me it’s less about taking a stand and more about just being myself,” he says. “I have no interest in going back into the closet in Sochi . . . This is not about defiance, this is me standing up for what I believe in.
“The Olympics are all about diversity and a celebration of humanity, and sexuality is included in that, so I will not be hiding that,” he says

Blake will have NO problem wearing his "rainbow pin" at Sochi, nor will anyone else - he will NOT be breaking the law this topic is all about.

The LAW is very clear, despite what the anti-Putin activists are saying about it. It has NOTHING to do with stopping people wearing rainbow pins, holding hands, etc, despite the massive amount of misinformation that has been written about it ... and I am not just talking about some of the totally unfounded claims of what the law says here - Wiki, which while far from a 100% reliable source is still reasonably policed, stated that Russia had banned homosexuality on 3 July 2013. ABSOLUTE NONSENSE.

What the LAW says is that any "propaganda" promoting "non-traditional sexual relations to minors" is banned. Despite some of the outrageous claims made ...

That does NOT mean you cannot wear a rainbow pin at Sochi or anywhere else

That does NOT mean you cannot wave a rainbow or any other flag at Sochi (except anyone trying to do so IN the actual opening parade would be stopped from doing so, as they would be stopped waving anything other than their respective national flags - spectators can wave any flags they like)

That does NOT mean you cannot wave a rainbow flag anywhere - as in ANY other country that would be covered by public order laws, NOT this law. When Prides have been permitted (and some have) those waving rainbow flags have been protected by the police.

That DOES mean you cannot go around or use the internet or the media to promote what is generally viewed in Russia as "non-traditional sexual relations to minors". Agreed, the law is aimed at gays and it would be both naive and disingenuous to pretend otherwise, but it does NOT stop gays displaying their sexual preference or rainbow pins or rainbow flags.

What the law DOES do, which seems reasonable given how traditional Russians are about sexual openness, is prevent anyone saying or writing anything to promote ""non-traditional sexual relations to minors". That's all. You can't go around handing out flyers or write on the 'net that "homosexuality is great" any more than you can say that "Cunnilingus is the way to go". I don't agree with the law personally, I don't think its either necessary or productive, but as far as Sochi is concerned I don't think its what the games should be about.

Sochi should be about sport and participation, and participation means diversity - agreed. It should NOT be an opportunity for those who disagree with someone's political views to voice their own.

Sen Schumer is onto a great idea but it isn't his original idea and he's not the only one who's talking about displaying the Rainbow flag of freedom and unity during the Sochi Winter Olympic Games.

Consequently, Russian security goons will have to examine each athlete and each visitor and their bags etc before they enter the Olympic stadium for the opening ceremonies, which of course have the parade of nations as a central feature, to try to insure no one has a Rainbow flag in their possession that can be displayed in the stadium at any time during the opening ceremonies, the parade especially.

Of course many countries would not ever consider doing such a thing given their particular religion or because they simply would not want to participate in making the freedom and unity statement Sen Schumer and so many others advocate.

However, the old saying applies that where there's a will there's a way, and plenty of athletes, many spectators and a good number of the nations on parade would be greatly interested in showing and waving the Rainbow flag.

Can you picture the Russian security goons mobbing around and roughing up anyone, athlete or spectator, who displays and waves the Rainbow flag during the opening ceremonies or at any time during the Olympic Games, all of it live on television for all the world to see?

Vlad the Impaler already has his hands full due to the global commotion his vile and cruel law has caused and we're six months away from the opening ceremony.

Vlad has guaranteed that the 2014 Sochi Olympic Games will be one of the most historic Olympic Games of all time.

Congratulations to Mother Russia and thank you to Vlad the Impaler.

Vlad already has the biggest headache in the world and it's only going to get worse for him and his thugs.

"Russian security goons will have to examine each athlete and each visitor and their bags etc before they enter the Olympic stadium for the opening ceremonies, ..."

You mean exactly as British, Canadian, Chinese, Australian, etc security goons have examined each athlete and each visitor before they entered the Olympic stadium for the opening ceremonies at every Summer and Winter Olympics since 1972?

"Can you picture the Russian security goons mobbing around and roughing up anyone, athlete or spectator, who displays and waves the Rainbow flag during the opening ceremonies or at any time during the Olympic Games, all of it live on television for all the world to see?"

Yes and no.

YES I can "picture the Russian security goons mobbing around" any ATHLETE "who displays and waves the Rainbow flag during the opening ceremonies" and they would be quite right to do so - the OPENING CEREMONIES and the parade of national flags is for NATIONAL flags only, NOT for individual athletes to publicise their sexual preference, support any group or make a political or any other statement.

NO I can't "picture the Russian security goons mobbing around and roughing up anyone, athlete or spectator, who displays and waves the Rainbow flag during the opening ceremonies or at any time during the Olympic Games, all of it live on television for all the world to see?" Why would they? They would NOT be breaking the law. SPECTATORS are free to wave ANY flag they want, as long as it isn't offensive and isn't banned - the Rainbow flag is NOT banned in Russia or at Sochi despite what some people are claiming. Athletes, similarly, are free to wave any flag they want as long as it isn't during the opening ceremonies.

Wow. Putin apology on steroids. Totally false.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Exactly which statement is "totally false"?

Do you have any evidence that the wearing of rainbow pins, holding hands, etc, has been banned? ... have any arrests ever been made for wearing rainbow pins or holding hands, etc?

Have any Russian officials connected with the Games ever said that rainbow pins and rainbow flags are banned at Sochi? (and before anyone asks I can't produce anything to say that waving Rainbow flags is permitted any more than I can't produce anything to say that waving a flag saying "Go Blake" has been permitted - they simply haven't been banned)

Have those at official, permitted Prides never been protected by the Russian police?

I could go on, but that would be argumentative and pointless.

PLEASE could we try to keep this thread about the anti-propaganda law and the Sochi Olympics, not about personal differences, and have some respect for other posters who want to discuss this rationally and deserve FACTS not just OPINION.

Some of the lawmakers probably have no concern for gay rights, but they would like to stick it to Putin over the Snowden affair.

They are two different things.

Please don't use gay rights and human rights to get even with anyone. Use them to get the rights for the people who deserve them.

This point does not make any sense and in my opinion is simply NOT TRUE.

If you're talking about American politicians, some are openly anti-gay rights, and there is absolutely NO WAY they would EVER advocate for rainbow flag waving anywhere in the world, Russia, Kansas City ... anywhere.

The Rainbow Flag is the flag representing GAY PRIDE, historically developed in the early days of the Gay Liberation Movement. An American anti-Putin politician who is also anti-gay rights won't go there with pushing the rainbow flag, trust me.

There are many American politicians as homophobic as their Russian counterparts, but happily not in any kind of majority that could ever do anything as totally ODIOUS as Putin any more.

We're NOT "talking about American politicians". We're talking about Sochi and the anti-gay propaganda laws. Let's stick to that.

For the record: THE RAINBOW FLAG IS NOT BANNED IN RUSSIA OR AT SOCHI.

Anyone who thinks that is "totally false" is, of course, welcome to provide ANY evidence to support that claim.

The Rainbow Flag HAS been waved (and protected by the Russian police) at approved and permitted Gay Prides (not that there have been many of those, as I am the first to make clear).

No Russian official connected with the Games and in a position to make such a statement has ever said that the Rainbow Flag is banned at Sochi. NONE. This entire line of argument, both on and off this Forum is specious and I can only imagine that it started, in some quarters, in a bid to force Russian officials to make some sort of statement that the Rainbow flag is "approved" or "allowed"; they have no reason to, and singling one group's flag out for special attention would be as wrong as it is unlikely to happen.

No-one has ever been arrested in Russia just for waving a Rainbow flag. NO ONE.

• Like 1

Is wearing a pin or waving a flag considered propaganda? Could it be interpreted as being propaganda?

That's how the anti-Putin crowd are interpreting it.

The Russians have made NO such interpretation and NO arrests for doing so. Until they do it would have as much basis in FACT to say that gays could be arrested for wearing pointy shoes.

One Russian gay activist was recently arrested and charged when waving a Rainbow flag, but he was ALSO waving it on the steps of the City Hall (waving ANY flag on the steps of a City Hall is illegal, and Russian Orthodox protesters have been arrested for doing so) AND carrying a placard AND handing out literature.

Like many of the arguments here and elsewhere the whole "Rainbow Flag" (and Rainbow Pin) issue has no basis in FACT, is manufactured, and is totally specious.

• Like 1

You beat me to it - I was just in the process of writing an apology for going off-topic and saying that Nikolay, etc should be continued, if at all, where it started (where I'll be quite happy to reply to post # 24 if it's repeated there)

Getting back to the Olympics issue, I would be interested in an answer to my question back in post # 32, which I'll take the liberty of repeating in case it got lost in the diversion:

It's about the legal terms and conditions of hosting the International Olympic Games and about the atmosphere and the spirit of it.

It's been pointed out the Russian Government already is backtracking on a statement it had made a month ago.

So what ACTUAL "legal terms and conditions of hosting the International Olympic Games" is the new law breaking?

... and how can a law which ONLY prevents anything concerning sexual deviation from what is the traditional Russian norm (sorry about that mouthful, but it is not specifically "anti-gay" even though that is its effect) being passed to children, especially via the media, have anything at all to do with "the atmosphere and the spirit" of the Olympic Games?

However much anyone may condemn the laws, and believe that children should be encouraged to understand and accept all sexual preferences between consenting adults, I can't see that sex education is the role of the Olympic Games.

Gay athlete plans to wear rainbow pin to Sochi Olympics in Russia

http://dailyxtra.com/world/news/gay-athlete-plans-wear-rainbow-pin-sochi-olympics-in-Russia

Despite ongoing persecution of gay people in Russia, Blake Skjellerup, a gay speed skater from New Zealand, says he will be wearing a rainbow pin to the Sochi Olympic games in 2014, and “If that gets me in trouble, then so be it.”
“For me it’s less about taking a stand and more about just being myself,” he says. “I have no interest in going back into the closet in Sochi . . . This is not about defiance, this is me standing up for what I believe in.
“The Olympics are all about diversity and a celebration of humanity, and sexuality is included in that, so I will not be hiding that,” he says

Blake will have NO problem wearing his "rainbow pin" at Sochi, nor will anyone else - he will NOT be breaking the law this topic is all about.

The LAW is very clear, despite what the anti-Putin activists are saying about it. It has NOTHING to do with stopping people wearing rainbow pins, holding hands, etc, despite the massive amount of misinformation that has been written about it ... and I am not just talking about some of the totally unfounded claims of what the law says here - Wiki, which while far from a 100% reliable source is still reasonably policed, stated that Russia had banned homosexuality on 3 July 2013. ABSOLUTE NONSENSE.

What the LAW says is that any "propaganda" promoting "non-traditional sexual relations to minors" is banned. Despite some of the outrageous claims made ...

That does NOT mean you cannot wear a rainbow pin at Sochi or anywhere else

That does NOT mean you cannot wave a rainbow or any other flag at Sochi (except anyone trying to do so IN the actual opening parade would be stopped from doing so, as they would be stopped waving anything other than their respective national flags - spectators can wave any flags they like)

That does NOT mean you cannot wave a rainbow flag anywhere - as in ANY other country that would be covered by public order laws, NOT this law. When Prides have been permitted (and some have) those waving rainbow flags have been protected by the police.

That DOES mean you cannot go around or use the internet or the media to promote what is generally viewed in Russia as "non-traditional sexual relations to minors". Agreed, the law is aimed at gays and it would be both naive and disingenuous to pretend otherwise, but it does NOT stop gays displaying their sexual preference or rainbow pins or rainbow flags.

What the law DOES do, which seems reasonable given how traditional Russians are about sexual openness, is prevent anyone saying or writing anything to promote ""non-traditional sexual relations to minors". That's all. You can't go around handing out flyers or write on the 'net that "homosexuality is great" any more than you can say that "Cunnilingus is the way to go". I don't agree with the law personally, I don't think its either necessary or productive, but as far as Sochi is concerned I don't think its what the games should be about.

Sochi should be about sport and participation, and participation means diversity - agreed. It should NOT be an opportunity for those who disagree with someone's political views to voice their own.

I hadn't known you are a lawyer in Russia or that you might be a member of the Russian Duma that enacted the law.

Your detailed and thoroughly expert knowledge of the Russian law is noted.

You clearly have the facts, all the facts and nothing but the facts.

laugh.png

• Like 1

Sen Schumer is onto a great idea but it isn't his original idea and he's not the only one who's talking about displaying the Rainbow flag of freedom and unity during the Sochi Winter Olympic Games.

Consequently, Russian security goons will have to examine each athlete and each visitor and their bags etc before they enter the Olympic stadium for the opening ceremonies, which of course have the parade of nations as a central feature, to try to insure no one has a Rainbow flag in their possession that can be displayed in the stadium at any time during the opening ceremonies, the parade especially.

Of course many countries would not ever consider doing such a thing given their particular religion or because they simply would not want to participate in making the freedom and unity statement Sen Schumer and so many others advocate.

However, the old saying applies that where there's a will there's a way, and plenty of athletes, many spectators and a good number of the nations on parade would be greatly interested in showing and waving the Rainbow flag.

Can you picture the Russian security goons mobbing around and roughing up anyone, athlete or spectator, who displays and waves the Rainbow flag during the opening ceremonies or at any time during the Olympic Games, all of it live on television for all the world to see?

Vlad the Impaler already has his hands full due to the global commotion his vile and cruel law has caused and we're six months away from the opening ceremony.

Vlad has guaranteed that the 2014 Sochi Olympic Games will be one of the most historic Olympic Games of all time.

Congratulations to Mother Russia and thank you to Vlad the Impaler.

Vlad already has the biggest headache in the world and it's only going to get worse for him and his thugs.

"Russian security goons will have to examine each athlete and each visitor and their bags etc before they enter the Olympic stadium for the opening ceremonies, ..."

You mean exactly as British, Canadian, Chinese, Australian, etc security goons have examined each athlete and each visitor before they entered the Olympic stadium for the opening ceremonies at every Summer and Winter Olympics since 1972?

"Can you picture the Russian security goons mobbing around and roughing up anyone, athlete or spectator, who displays and waves the Rainbow flag during the opening ceremonies or at any time during the Olympic Games, all of it live on television for all the world to see?"

Yes and no.

YES I can "picture the Russian security goons mobbing around" any ATHLETE "who displays and waves the Rainbow flag during the opening ceremonies" and they would be quite right to do so - the OPENING CEREMONIES and the parade of national flags is for NATIONAL flags only, NOT for individual athletes to publicise their sexual preference, support any group or make a political or any other statement.

NO I can't "picture the Russian security goons mobbing around and roughing up anyone, athlete or spectator, who displays and waves the Rainbow flag during the opening ceremonies or at any time during the Olympic Games, all of it live on television for all the world to see?" Why would they? They would NOT be breaking the law. SPECTATORS are free to wave ANY flag they want, as long as it isn't offensive and isn't banned - the Rainbow flag is NOT banned in Russia or at Sochi despite what some people are claiming. Athletes, similarly, are free to wave any flag they want as long as it isn't during the opening ceremonies.

An individual showing the Rainbow flag in Russia is not corrupting Russian youth?

An athlete or spectator wearing a Rainbow Pin, the one created by the 2012 London Olympic Committee to celebrate diversity, for instance, would not be corrupting Russian youth under the provisions of the vague and broadly written Russian law? Or any Rainbow pin that has to do with gay rights?

You're the Russian legal expert so you let me know.

Write another 2000 word post to me in which you explain the Russian law in great and excruciating detail and in exact specifics. You know, gimme the facts.

I suspect the Russian law, were it written in the United States, is so vague and broad that it would be thrown out by a judge of a U.S. District Court as unconstitutional. But then it is a Russian law, so we are fortunate to have such an expert on it as you are to present it to us in great and exact detail.

clap2.gif

• Like 1

This law could probably be enforced in anyway that the officials wanted it to be and they could arrest anyone they wanted to.

Can you wave a rainbow flag at the Olympics? Probably, but you just might be arrested if there are any minors at the Olympics...or watching television. I wonder if a Russian waving the flag would be treated the same way as a foreigner?

• Like 1

Well, it's Russia and they can do anything they desire. They don't HAVE to be politically correct and accept that gay people are finding their equality in western society, much as women did during their struggle for equality. It's their country and as those here are so oft to parrot, if you don't like it, go home. Just because you are gay and a proud of it doesn't mean you get to rub the Russian's nose in it. Especially in their country.

• Like 2

There is a way to talk about all this MACRO, and a way to talk about this MICRO (legalistic picayune pedantry that OBFUSCATES rather than shines light), and the bigger picture is that the gay PEOPLE of Russia are being persecuted, by oppressive laws, by a virulently homophobic public, by groups of Neo-Nazi thugs getting away with murder and seemingly Putin doesn't seem to care, by a dictator USING the already existing hatred of gay people to prop up his regime and divert away from actual real economic problems of the people. Learn from history, mateys, it's all there.

Well, it's Russia and they can do anything they desire. They don't HAVE to be politically correct and accept that gay people are finding their equality in western society, much as women did during their struggle for equality. It's their country and as those here are so oft to parrot, if you don't like it, go home. Just because you are gay and a proud of it doesn't mean you get to rub the Russian's nose in it. Especially in their country.

Yes, it is their country. But if the Russians continue down this path of persecution of a hated minority group that Putin has selected for politically motivated SCAPEGOATING, then Russian officials should get used to noisy protests anywhere and everywhere they go in the world where there are people who care about human rights.

Assuming Sochi actually happens, more and more I am thinking just perhaps it isn't too late to move the games to Vancouver, the Sochi Winter Games will go down in history as Putin's Anti-Gay Games just as the Berlin 1936 games are known as Hitler's Nazi games. Of course, Hitler should NEVER been rewarded with those games.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, it is their country. But if the Russians continue down this path of persecution of a hated minority group that Putin has selected for politically motivated SCAPEGOATING, then Russian officials should get used to noisy protests anywhere and everywhere they go in the world where there are people who care about human rights.

Assuming Sochi actually happens, more and more I am thinking just perhaps it isn't too late to move the games to Vancouver, the Sochi Winter Games will go down in history as Putin's Anti-Gay Games just as the Berlin 1936 games are known as Hitler's Nazi games. Of course, Hitler should NEVER been rewarded with those games.

Agreed and I would add that Russia's law for Russians in Russia has a global impact because Russia will host the 2014 International Olympic Winter Games which will have athletes and spectators from everywhere in the world present, in Russia.

Can a spectator wave the Rainbow flag while in his/her paid seat in the Olympic stadium?

Can a spectator carry a Rainbow flag into the Olympic stadium, or will the Russian authorities confiscate it and perhaps arrest the spectator for trying to violate the law that protects Russian youth from being corrupted by evil degenerate foreigners?

Can an athlete carry a Rainbow flag and/or wear a Rainbow pin on entering the stadium locker room area? The field of competition? Or while in the Olympic Village? Or at a McDonald's in the middle of Sochi? Or where ever?

We need a real Russian lawyer in dealing with the myriad questions raised by this vile law that directly impacts the international community.

This law could probably be enforced in anyway that the officials wanted it to be and they could arrest anyone they wanted to.

Can you wave a rainbow flag at the Olympics? Probably, but you just might be arrested if there are any minors at the Olympics...or watching television. I wonder if a Russian waving the flag would be treated the same way as a foreigner?

Very true - but saying what "might" happen is hardly the same as saying what will happen and acting on that supposition.

Waving a rainbow flag has never been a problem in Russia, as long as it is done where you are allowed to wave flags.

There is a way to talk about all this MACRO, and a way to talk about this MICRO (legalistic picayune pedantry that OBFUSCATES rather than shines light), and the bigger picture is that the gay PEOPLE of Russia are being persecuted, by oppressive laws, by a virulently homophobic public, by groups of Neo-Nazi thugs getting away with murder and seemingly Putin doesn't seem to care, by a dictator USING the already existing hatred of gay people to prop up his regime and divert away from actual real economic problems of the people. Learn from history, mateys, it's all there.

"the bigger picture is that the gay PEOPLE of Russia are being persecuted, by oppressive laws, by a virulently homophobic public, by groups of Neo-Nazi thugs getting away with murder and seemingly Putin doesn't seem to care,"

... agreed 100% (up to that point).

That, however, is not what the last few pages and parallel thread in the Gay Forum have been about.

The law sucks, but if you are a guest in Russia perhaps prudent to respect their laws even if they suck and you don't agree with them. Not that hard. At least Russians don't throw acid on your arse if they don't agree with you like some cultures.

Troll posts with anti-gay overtones have been removed. Continued posting in this manner and you will earn a suspension.

Feel free to express your opinion of the topic of the thread, be civil and diplomatic in your wording.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

Someone asked about the World Cup, back somewhere around page 1 of this thread.

It didn't take FIFA long to get into the fray.

And what constitutes "propaganda" and/or "propagandizing"?

Putin and his gang are getting in way over their heads. Putin just isn't as smart as he believes himself to be. Trouble is Putin isn't smart enough to figure that out either.

The law is so vague and broad that a dozen Russian officials have interpreted it in a dozen different ways.

FIFA joins IOC in asking Russia to explain anti-gay law

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/fifa-joins-ioc-in-asking-russia-to-explain-anti-gay-law/article13730849/

FIFA has asked authorities in 2018 World Cup host Russia for “clarification and more details” about a new anti-gay law, joining the International Olympic Committee in seeking answers from Moscow.

The two most influential organizations in world sports are both now asking Russia how the law would be enforced during their marquee events.

“FIFA has asked the Russian authorities for clarification and more details on this new law,” football’s governing body said in a statement Tuesday.

Russia Official Confirms Anti-Gay Law Won’t be Suspended for Olympics

http://www.edgeneworleans.com/news/international///148069/russia_official_confirms_anti-gay_law_won%E2%80%99t_be_suspended_for_Olympics

Russia’s Interior Ministry, which oversees the country’s police force, confirmed on Monday that Russia’s highly controversial "homosexual propaganda" law will not be suspended during the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia, according to Russia’s official state news agency, RIA Novosti.

Earlier this month the Associated Press reported Russia’s sports minister also indicated the law would be enforced.

"An athlete of nontraditional sexual orientation isn’t banned from coming to Sochi," Vitaly Mutko said in an interview with R-Sport, the sports newswire of state news agency RIA Novosti. "But if he goes out into the streets and starts to propagandize, then of course he will be held accountable."

Someone asked about the World Cup, back somewhere around page 1 of this thread.

That was me and I was actually asking about the 2022 World Cup in Qatar...

Ah yes, now I specifically recall Qatar being mentioned.

Well, it looks like Christmas came early 'cause FIFA stepped right into the present Olympic Games spat and its possible impact on the future World Cup competition in Russia.

We're talking a lot of money for Russia from the two events.

Putin needs to start listening to some grown ups.