Laos border visa price scam

So basically from what the responses im reading its perfectly normal and I'm the idiot for paying in baht.

You got it.
I got it, because the whole world knows that when you go to another country to get a visa you should pay in US Dollars otherwise your gonna get stung and have to have a 8 ur old exchange rate.

Everyone but you, mate.

Not really, only you

$15 to learn a valuable lesson.

Not such a bad deal.

If the official fee us USD 35, that's what you have available in your pocket. The authorities are under no obligation to offer you a decent rate should you come unprepared.

They're really under no obligation to accept a third country's currency at all.

Laos is $35 for Americans

And for non-Americans the cost is .....??

Depends of which country one comes from.....

The amount of the visa fee is dependent on the nationality. Here is an example of some of the prices for the Laos Visa on arrival:

• French, German, New Zealand, Australian, South Korean, North Korean, Hong Kong, Taiwan, BhutanUSD$30
  • SwedishUSD$31
  • Italian, Austrian, England, Norway, Netherlands, Portugal, Greece, Turkey, Spanish, Irish, Swiss, Danish, USAUSD$35
  • Indian, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, AfghanistanUSD$40
  • CanadianUSD$42
  • ChineseUSD$20
  • VietnameseUSD$20

Except those above mention countries visa fees would be USD$30.

There also an additional USD$1 fee payable for processing done on a Saturday, Sunday or on a Public Holiday.

http://www.contiki.com/contikipedia/articles/visa-requirements-laos

• Like 1

Its standard dude,

Everwhere has a different exchange rate. You just have to plan ahead when dealing with 3rd world currencies . Try buying/selling baht in a western country eg at a UK airport.

They dont want baht, they dont want to deal in it, however they will deal if they can make a fat profit on the transaction..so the rate is miles away from the rate in Thailand. Laos, Cambodia same same.

Another factor not mentioned yet is that you have to pay in a currency which is in a decent condition, I have had USD bills returned to me at the Laos border visa office because they were in poor condition, fortunately I was able to replace them with better quality notes.

Another factor not mentioned yet is that you have to pay in a currency which is in a decent condition, I have had USD bills returned to me at the Laos border visa office because they were in poor condition, fortunately I was able to replace them with better quality notes.

Has anyone tried paying US $10 at Mae Sai border?

Laos is $35 for Americans

And for non-Americans the cost is .....??

Well..... for Canadians it is $42.00 and for Indians it is $40.00 ----- for Chinese it is $20.00.

And this was a couple of years ago.

I've always wondered what the Canadians have done wrong to get shafted with the highest Laos visa costs.

Those Snap Frozen Yanks (Canadiens) always get the shaft, even their cousins the Brits think they're Americans with more money

US Dollars are still the currency of choice for international transactions. As dollars are favored a preferred rate is typically offered. In Laos the visa on arrival fee for most nationalities is 1500 baht or 35 USD, the exit stamp fee is 40 baht or 1 USD. As Kip are not convertible outside of Laos, I don't think there is an option to pay in the local currency.

My experience in Laos has been that even private businesses give a significantly better rate in dollars than baht, though not as extreme as the immigration department. Baht may be convenient but it is still a third world currency. Not a scam, just the way international transactions work. I remember at least two businesses in Vientiane that would only accept USD.

Edit: I don't think it has anything to do with using an outdated exchange rate, just a preference for a particular currency that is far more useful in international transactions. Something along the lines of paying a penalty for the inconvenience caused when using baht.

Yes Kip are accepted for payment of smaller fees - but for the visa they want USD or Thai Baht at the Thai border crossings, USD, Thai Baht or Vietnamese Dong at the Vietnamese crossings and USD, Thai Baht or Chinese Yuan at the Chinese crossings. In fact, for smaller fees, only Kip or Baht are typically accepted. The "exit fee" generally doesn't apply, except during certain times and it might also depend on your nationality.

When you enter the country, you pay a small fee for the card at the 1st Friendship Bridge to pass through the automated gates. This card is 5 Baht or 1000 Kip (4 Baht) for Swiss citizens (even though it's a tiny amount, better pay in Kip) and 40 Baht for Thai citizens. I have no idea how much they charge you if you require a visa to enter Laos - as I don't, I can only post about my experiences.

For other expenses in Laos, typically they want Kip these days - there are signs around the country (sometimes only in Lao) that promote the sole usage of the Kip, and this is what I would recommend - you'll get a better deal if you exchange your Baht, dollars whatever into Kip first. Typically businesses accepting USD are oriented towards foreigners; most businesses in tourist areas accept any combination of USD, Kip and Baht and sometimes even Euros. Change is typically provided in Kip or Baht. For regional areas only Kip and Baht, and in the most remote areas only Kip would be accepted.

Has anyone tried paying US $10 at Mae Sai border?

Yes no problems. I would never pay 500 Baht there or at Mae Sot. Always paid $10, never had any questions asked.

US Dollars are still the currency of choice for international transactions. As dollars are favored a preferred rate is typically offered. In Laos the visa on arrival fee for most nationalities is 1500 baht or 35 USD, the exit stamp fee is 40 baht or 1 USD. As Kip are not convertible outside of Laos, I don't think there is an option to pay in the local currency.

My experience in Laos has been that even private businesses give a significantly better rate in dollars than baht, though not as extreme as the immigration department. Baht may be convenient but it is still a third world currency. Not a scam, just the way international transactions work. I remember at least two businesses in Vientiane that would only accept USD.

Edit: I don't think it has anything to do with using an outdated exchange rate, just a preference for a particular currency that is far more useful in international transactions. Something along the lines of paying a penalty for the inconvenience caused when using baht.

Yes Kip are accepted for payment of smaller fees - but for the visa they want USD or Thai Baht at the Thai border crossings, USD, Thai Baht or Vietnamese Dong at the Vietnamese crossings and USD, Thai Baht or Chinese Yuan at the Chinese crossings. In fact, for smaller fees, only Kip or Baht are typically accepted. The "exit fee" generally doesn't apply, except during certain times and it might also depend on your nationality.

When you enter the country, you pay a small fee for the card at the 1st Friendship Bridge to pass through the automated gates. This card is 5 Baht or 1000 Kip (4 Baht) for Swiss citizens (even though it's a tiny amount, better pay in Kip) and 40 Baht for Thai citizens. I have no idea how much they charge you if you require a visa to enter Laos - as I don't, I can only post about my experiences.

For other expenses in Laos, typically they want Kip these days - there are signs around the country (sometimes only in Lao) that promote the sole usage of the Kip, and this is what I would recommend - you'll get a better deal if you exchange your Baht, dollars whatever into Kip first. Typically businesses accepting USD are oriented towards foreigners; most businesses in tourist areas accept any combination of USD, Kip and Baht and sometimes even Euros. Change is typically provided in Kip or Baht. For regional areas only Kip and Baht, and in the most remote areas only Kip would be accepted.

I am curious as to what card and automated gates you are talking about. Having crossed via the friendship bridge last week I saw no automated gates at Laos immigration nor had any dealings with a card. Was this a requirement for vehicles and the toll gates on the roadway? I was on a bus so I probably missed anything you may have seen as a driver.

I did notice what you mentioned about a greater emphasis on kip compared to the last time I was in Laos. This time bills were always quoted in Kip and I had to ask for conversions to Baht or Dollars. Last time bills were always in Baht or Dollars and I had to ask for conversions into Kip. Having said that, I did receive a more favorable price in dollars than Kip (or baht) every time I used dollars by about 10% though it was a very small sample as I was in the country for only a day and a half. On my prior trip, several western oriented businesses outright refused Kip (in Vientiane).

Edited by CPT

The border is way better to pay in dollars, then the hotel i usually stay at in Laos baht is by far the best. It's not like this in countries in other parts of the world I have been, where the general rule is that it is normally always better to pay in the local currency.

Edited by isawasnake

Today at Mae Sot, same as all the border stamps 500 baht or 10 US, same 2 years ago, today at the Bank 302 baht got me the said 10 US $....

Last visit to Laos was 1,550 baht or 35 US $.......... said $ in the bank cost me 1,009 baht, I am sure well over 2 years ago the exchange rate I paid just under 1,200 baht for the 35 US$ so was still worth it to change baht to US $

• 11 months later...

My 4th time into Laos now since early 2013, 1st time April 2013 at Vientiane and I had usd on me. Third time in Savannakhet and I paid in baht, which was 1500 instead of 42usd as I'm canadian.

This was because the second time I did go to the bank again and get usd. At XE trade rates its 1342b for 42usd, but then you get a worse rate from the bank and have to go through the hassle of taking time to stop at a bank. I decided the third time back through Savannakhet it wasn't worth the bother for 150 some odd baht each savings.

So yesterday on the way back to Vientiane when I handed over 2k baht with my application form and got back only 200baht change I was a bit pissed. At first I thought I was being scammed, but was too exhausted after a long day travelling and a massive hangover to even try to argue with the official. Back at the hotel I googled around and found various sources claiming Canadians are being charged 1800 baht now at Vientiane. Yet I was just in Savannakhet Feb 2014 and they are still charging 1500. So either something has changed within the past 6 months or Vientianne has different rates than Savannakhet.

Either way, its me and my wife and 42 usd is currently 1342B, so we could have saved over 1000b for a 5min stop over in a bank on the way here. ................ohh well live and learn.

That exit stamp crap is a scam too. I never bother trying to argue, not worth the time IMO, especially when you see you can miss the next bus over the friendship bridge. However last time I was on my way out the guy behind us refused to pay it and there's not much they can do about it since it's just a corrupt made up sucker falang tax. He took maybe 5 min longer than us and was on the same bus.

I think the officer in Savannakhet made a mistake when he only charged you 1500 baht.

If you use the $35 and 1500 baht charged for other countries to calculate the exchange rate and multiple it by $42 it comes out to 1800 baht.

• 4 years later...

Update... Took my $35.00 US to Lao immigration...they examined each bill carefully...finding no fault...they asked me to step out of the window and around the corner...

Guess what...after a few moments they presented me with a $20 bill having a torn edge.    Unacceptable of course. 

Long story short...ended up having to pay the 1500 baht to get through immigration.

Gets very tiring having to suck-it-up when they smile as they stick it to you... 

I have come to realize that if one is going to survive in these Asian cultures...one must come to terms with being scammed on a regular basis... 

Rather be scammed than live in a land full of obese women and criminal politicians...