Who [over 50yrs old] has not gotten a colonoscopy?

jaideeguy

Just wondering how many of us are procrastinating about getting a check up with a webcam up your butt??

@ 66 yrs, I've delayed it too long and have finally been convinced to go for it.

Makes me wonder how many of us out there have delayed getting the procedure?? And why delay??

This is just a casual survey and just your age and reason for delaying it.

thanks in advance...........

• Like 1

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was advised to have it done many years ago but didn't, I chickened out, just like you guys, you big woose! Then two years ago I decided to have it done and afterwards I felt really stupid for not having it done much sooner, it's painless and it can save your life - I'm 63.

• Like 1

54, and I've only been probed digitally by a doctor. At least, he *said* he was a doctor .........

didnt you think it odd that he had his hands behind his head as he was doing the probe?cheesy.gif

He's Singaporean - would I have noticed the difference if he'd probed me with anything other than his digit ? ;)

my doctor recommends another test first. you basically scrap a piece of fresh feces. the scraping is sent in to a lab for testing (traces of blood). If it is positive then you get the scope.....sound reasonable to me. I'm 51....

• Like 1

my doctor recommends another test first. you basically scrap a piece of fresh feces. the scraping is sent in to a lab for testing (traces of blood). If it is positive then you get the scope.....sound reasonable to me. I'm 51....

My doctor did the blood test, but I insisted that he do the manual check : seems there is only one sure way to detect a swollen prostate gland. This thread really belongs in the Health forum.

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/prostate-enlargement.shtml

No matter how physically healthy or unhealthy you are, if you're a man over the age of forty-five, there is a 50 percent chance you have prostate enlargement. Doctors call it benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).

That's right... a 50% chance!

The symptoms of an enlarged prostate are often painful, embarrassing, and frustrating. The most common symptoms are:

* A frequent and often urgent need to urinate * A frustrating inability to completely empty the bladder * A weak urine stream, and painful or bloody urination.

But the most frustrating symptom is the frequent nighttime urge to urinate that results in sleep-disrupting visits to the bathroom.

A stool test for occult blood (which is what you describe) is fine but it does not detect polyps and carcinoma, polyps can be removed easily as a part of the endocopic exam and as such they will not become malignant in the future.

My doctor did the blood test, but I insisted that he do the manual check : seems there is only one sure way to detect a swollen prostate gland. This thread really belongs in the Health forum.

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/prostate-enlargement.shtml

No matter how physically healthy or unhealthy you are, if you're a man over the age of forty-five, there is a 50 percent chance you have prostate enlargement. Doctors call it benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).

That's right... a 50% chance!

The symptoms of an enlarged prostate are often painful, embarrassing, and frustrating. The most common symptoms are:

* A frequent and often urgent need to urinate * A frustrating inability to completely empty the bladder * A weak urine stream, and painful or bloody urination.

But the most frustrating symptom is the frequent nighttime urge to urinate that results in sleep-disrupting visits to the bathroom.

An endoscopy will not/cannot examine the prostrate, that is best/typically done via ultrasound or the PSA blood test as separate procedures.

I believe there now is the option to have a 'virtual' colonoscopy which is less invasive. One disadvantage I think would be that with the standard colonoscopy you can have polyps removed there and then. Probably not with the virtual method?

The only thing (apart from the money) that puts me off having another colonoscopy is drinking that vile laxative prepatration. Makes me shiver just thinking about drinking it again!

• Like 1

Maybe if you learned why you should have one, it might change your mind, better yet your life. 90% curable if caught early.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorectal_cancer

Then again, I really don't give a crap what you do. My neighbor didn't listen to me either and once he learned he had advance stages he was dead in 4 months. Very, very painful I might add.

The worse part was taking the medication to clear out the colon. You are sedated and other than having some gas afterwards was nothing. Best part was the cute nurses who took care of you after.

I recall that risk of corectal cancer amongst American men is quite small, something like <4%, despite that fact it remains a big killer and easily avoidable in most cases - I think that statistic presumes that a person has had regular checks for occult blood which is something most people do not do on a regular basis, if they have not then the percentage must surely be much higher. I guess that the biggest benefit of having an endoscopy is that it's possible to prevent future cancer by removing polyps now, once you've had the exam it's good for around ten years hence unless the cost is truly prohibitive it would seem like a no brainer to get it done.

Sam Simon, the 54 year old creator of 'The Simpson's' in the USA and who reportedly earns about $US 20 million per year from that and other creations has been diagnosed with terminal colon cancer. The articles about him are mostly about the various charities he is creating in his final months; I at least have not seen any mention that his condition might have detected way back when if he had a colonospcopy. But as colon cancer is readily detectable in its early stages, that might very well be the case: he just never bothered

• Like 1

Does anyone who's had the procedure done have any good recommendation for a doctor in BKK who does them???

It's a relatively simple procedure that can save your life (by catching any potential problem early).

But I share the feelings of others who are less than enthusiastic about having something stuck up their bum.... at least in a hospital setting. tongue.png

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Perhaps it would help some to understand that a colonoscopy only examines the large bowel, the interior size of which is significantly larger the items that are expelled from it on a daily basis. The exam involves inserting the endoscope into the rear passage and then inflating the bowel with air, this allows the scope to reach to the furthest point of the large bowel (the illeum) and then the exam is conducted by inspecting the insides of the colon as the scope is withdrawn. Everyone who has ever had this exam will tell you exactly the same thing, the test itself is nothing, the hardest part is having to drink the laxative (which doesn't taste that great) and exmpty your bowel beforehand and it's not like we all haven't done that before.