Who [over 50yrs old] has not gotten a colonoscopy?

jaideeguy

I knew a guy who didn't have any symptoms. Then he did have them and within months he was dead. Big shock to everyone. Great guy, miss him.

It's just stupid not to have the exam according to the medical recommendations. I admit I delayed, because of my healthy lifestyle, but it was a risk. Glad I finally did it. Wasn't bad at all; and it's never unpleasant to be helped along by attractive Thai nurses. Above in the thread are accurate descriptions of the process.

Do it!

You can get very paranoid reading about all these tests you should have, it can also get very expensive, I have never been for any tests or any check-ups unless there has been something wrong, I will go and get checked out if there is a reason to do so, if it's my time in the near future then so be it, early detection of any illness is preferable but we are not all made the same way, I am not paranoid about things that might happen, just in case I am not here next week, see ya later!!

As the post above well notes, it is not just a matter of dropping dead.

In the case of cancer of the colon, waiting until something is wrong runs the risk of an avoidable colostomy and/or a very long and painful death. Well worth avoiding.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had an FOBT at 50 or at least think that was what it was. I had to take a stool sample three days in a row and then take them to the lab to get tested. At 55 I made an appointment for a colonoscopy, but it was scheduled for after my return to Thailand so never had it. In August I had stomach problems and was sent for what I thought was going to be a colonoscopy, but turned out to be a barium enema, which I think is far more uncomfortable than a colonoscopy, but it shows the same thing and has the advantage it is considerably cheaper (฿2,500), but also less invasive and thus no chance for a bowel perforation, of course if they find something, you will need a colonoscopy to remove it. After having one I figured the next time I would go for a colonoscopy, but after reading about the dangers of a bowel perforation, however slight, I am now not so sure.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Issangeorge

Get a CT Colonoscopy instead. Same result as the scope. No sedation required but you DO have the same horrible preparation though. Most Thai private hospitals can do this. Requires a CT Scan. Results are identical. If you need any polyps removed then you would then require a scope.

I got the scope a couple of weeks ago. The worst part was the preparation for a few days before hand. The laxatives the night before, no food and shitting the bed wasn't great.

The actual procedure...god knows. I remember the doc saying I'll be asleep in 20 seconds. Counted to 24 thinking it wasn't gonna work and then woke up in another room 30 mins later.

Edited by nottocus

Is it possible to request the procedure without being fully sedated? Thanks

I know that Sheryl has disagreed with me before on this subject, but in my experience, yes. There are three options:

(1) Full sedation (general anaesthetic). You're totally unconscious.

(2) Twilight sedation. You're still conscious and can move when asked. You may have some memories of the procedure.

(3) No sedation. Only for the toughest (or most foolhardy).

I've personally had the first two in Bangkok. The first at Samitevej Srinakarin. The second at Vejthani. Both were fine - apart from the embarrassment factor of remembering an incident where there was a sudden cry of "stand back" at Vejthani. I'll leave it up to your imagination to guess what was pouring out of me at the time.

With Vejthani (with twilight sedation) I was also in the difficult position of having to argue about the bill once I came around. (In the end they admitted they'd overcharged me on a couple of items - several thousand Baht.) My impression (though I'm not 100% sure) is that I was much more quickly compos mentis after the general anaesthetic at Samitivej.

• Like 1

It is entirely possible for the procedure to be undertaken without sedation. It is uncomfortable not overtly painful.

NB

General anaesthetics are never given for such procedures.

Depending on the "mix" of medication used for sedation memory of the procedure may or may not be retained.

Edited by Sceptict11

I know that Sheryl has disagreed with me before on this subject, but in my experience, yes. There are three options:

(1) Full sedation (general anaesthetic). You're totally unconscious.

(2) Twilight sedation. You're still conscious and can move when asked. You may have some memories of the procedure.

(3) No sedation. Only for the toughest (or most foolhardy).

I've personally had the first two in Bangkok. The first at Samitevej Srinakarin. The second at Vejthani. Both were fine - apart from the embarrassment factor of remembering an incident where there was a sudden cry of "stand back" at Vejthani. I'll leave it up to your imagination to guess what was pouring out of me at the time.

With Vejthani (with twilight sedation) I was also in the difficult position of having to argue about the bill once I came around. (In the end they admitted they'd overcharged me on a couple of items - several thousand Baht.) My impression (though I'm not 100% sure) is that I was much more quickly compos mentis after the general anaesthetic at Samitivej.

There's another alternative but I don't know how to classify it, it's not a general anesthetic, simply a shot that puts you to sleep and apparently erases any memories of the procedure, zero after affects and recovery is near instant, highly recommended and is in use at RAM Hospital in CM.

General anaesthetics are never given for such procedures.

Just try Googling for "colonoscopy general anaesthetic". You might just possibly find out that you're talking out of the place where they stick the camera.

There's another alternative but I don't know how to classify it, it's not a general anesthetic, simply a shot that puts you to sleep and apparently erases any memories of the procedure, zero after affects and recovery is near instant, highly recommended and is in use at RAM Hospital in CM.

What you're describing is what I know as "twilight sedation". Some people do remember something (I did) - most don't. And in my experience recovery wasn't instant. I was groggy for a few hours and certainly wasn't fit to walk home on my own. (At the time I was staying about 300 metres from the hospital, but certainly wouldn't have wanted to cross any roads.)

I have had colonoscopies under general anesthesia and under twilight sedation. My doctor in the US said one of his colleagues had it without any sedation whatsoever.

The first few (I've had ten) were under twilight sedation, but then it became to hard to keep me under, so they switched to general anesthesia (with an anesthesiologist). There is absolutely no way I would do it without any sedation, but I don't think they offer that to the general public anyway.

I've had them done at both RAM and Bumrungrad with no problems and I was impressed with the knowledge of both doctors.

• 1 month later...

I found this older topic just for coincidence..and I decide to share this, not to scare people, just to advice...

I had a good health all my life, but in 2009, at 64, I was diagnosed with a small malign tumor on my groin. I was under Medicare, US Government Medical Free Insurance for retired citizens. My oncologist did and order what he said was EVERY test, cat scans, MRI, etc, etc, and after a small surgery, and further biopsies, I was released free of cancer.

Just few days later, In the same building, a Medical Center, and by my own decision, I decided to consult a gastroenterologist for some acid reflux I was having, and he did a colonoscopy and endoscopy. He found a large malign colon cancer, and after sending the results to my oncologist, its asked for an urgent surgery and for the removal of big part of my stomach.

After asking friends and doctors second opinions, I rejected the surgery. The gastroenterologist removed what its can of the tumor, but still positive and he wanted to follow oncologist directions. I rejected colon's surgery again, and I started alternative treatments, diets, etc, etc, and came to Thailand for first time to live at countryside Homestay in Chiang Mai for 3 months.

After 3 months in Chiang Mai, relaxing, meditating, away from any stress situation, I was back in the US and on the colonoscopy table to find out that my tumor was gone. I move back to Thailand in 2011, and I got married in 2013.

I never felt so healthy in all my life.....

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

I had a good health all my life, but in 2009, at 64, I was diagnosed with a small malign tumor on my groin. I was under Medicare, US Government Medical Free Insurance for retired citizens.

Sorry to be slightly off topic, but how did you qualify for retiree Medicare at age 64? I thought the minimum age was 65.

What you're describing is what I know as "twilight sedation". Some people do remember something (I did) - most don't. And in my experience recovery wasn't instant. I was groggy for a few hours and certainly wasn't fit to walk home on my own. (At the time I was staying about 300 metres from the hospital, but certainly wouldn't have wanted to cross any roads.)

Last one I had, which was actually after I had a piece of rectum and colon removed because of cancer(2008), the sedation was very light and I woke up when the scope was still doing its work and watched what was going on on the screen.

No groogyness at all, that was at the colorectal unit at Pramonkutklau the army hospital in BKK, cheaper than a private hospital if cost matters and they charge the same as a chemist for drugs.

my doctor recommends another test first. you basically scrap a piece of fresh feces. the scraping is sent in to a lab for testing (traces of blood). If it is positive then you get the scope.....sound reasonable to me. I'm 51....

My doctor did the blood test, but I insisted that he do the manual check : seems there is only one sure way to detect a swollen prostate gland. This thread really belongs in the Health forum.

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/prostate-enlargement.shtml

No matter how physically healthy or unhealthy you are, if you're a man over the age of forty-five, there is a 50 percent chance you have prostate enlargement. Doctors call it benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).

That's right... a 50% chance!

The symptoms of an enlarged prostate are often painful, embarrassing, and frustrating. The most common symptoms are:

* A frequent and often urgent need to urinate * A frustrating inability to completely empty the bladder * A weak urine stream, and painful or bloody urination.

But the most frustrating symptom is the frequent nighttime urge to urinate that results in sleep-disrupting visits to the bathroom.

I believe some of the members here are incorrect. This thread is about having a colonscopy which is ''Colonoscopy or coloscopy[1] is the endoscopic examination of the large bowel and the distal part of the small bowel with a CCD camera or a fiber optic camera on a flexible tube passed through the anus. It can provide a visual diagnosis (e.g. ulceration, polyps) and grants the opportunity for biopsy or removal of suspected colorectal cancer lesions.

Colonoscopy can remove polyps as small as one millimetre or less. Once polyps are removed, they can be studied with the aid of a microscope to determine if they are precancerous or not. It takes 15 years or fewer for a polyp to turn cancerous.''

Its nothing to do with prostate.

Ive read that guys over the age of 40 should get it done once to check for the 'Polyps'.

If you are referring to colonoscopy, the recomendation is once every 10 years year after age 50 (assuming no symptoms or special risk factors).

I thought it was every 5 years ! are you sure, 10 years ?

I had one last year in Hua hin under general anesthesia ( I didn't ask, I would prefer local anesthesia ) and the doctor did'nt find anything ( I am 63 years old, it was my first colonoscopy )

Edited by Aforek

I've been told that polyps can grow in diameter 1 cm/year. Waiting 10 years between colonoscopies seems to me too long. My doctor has told me to get rechecked every 5 years.

(To give the full history, I was found with 4 polyps which were removed. (At the time I was in my 40s. I had overt blood in my stools.) I had a follow-up colonoscopy after one year which was clear. I was then told to come back every 5 years.)

Low/no risk patients, every ten years - high risk patients every year, a sliding scale based on risk exists between those two points:

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/colonandrectumcancer/moreinformation/colonandrectumcancerearlydetection/colorectal-cancer-early-detection-acs-recommendations

Occult blood in stool.