Thailand mulls compulsory travel insurance for all foreign tourists

webfact

Why are people blaming Thais for this or is just turning into another Thai bashing thread, a common theme on Thai Visa

Facts : People come here with no insurance, have a accident/get sick, go to a government hospital because the private ones will not admit them with no insurance or money to pay the bill, they then leave without paying the bill leaving the Thai population to pay it via their taxes

Is it just me or does anyone else think that is not acceptable? What kind of idiots visit a place like Thailand with no insurance?

How on earth can anyone apart from the usual Thai bashers on TV not think that the government must come up with a way to stop this happening?

As with all the other such posts here, you are missing the point by a mile. It is not that we think tourists should be allowed free medical - or that we blame the Thais (<deleted>?) - or even Thai bashing - its stupid policy bashing. Read some of the posts above and you will quickly see how the 200m these freeloaders are costing Thailand is a spit in the ocean compared to the damage they will cause with such a policy. As usual it is a knee jerk reaction to some figures without context without thinking through the problem or solutions properly. This can all be handled without forced medical insurance (which is very difficult to administrate - and could not be done with a 500b carte-blanche one-size-fits-all policy) and without the negative publicity or exclusory policy this encourages (indeed locking out many of those quality tourists out there that are too old to get insurance - but can afford medical treatment).

Disagreement with silly policies - and this government is drowning in them - is not Thai bashing, often it is quite the reverse!

I am no missing the point at all

So far one person on this thread has come up with a sensible solution (IMO) of putting this charge on the Airport tax

Most other posters have said this is a bad idea without giving their view on a solution to the problem

How can the majority of posters think this is a bad idea yet have no other suggestions on how to fix this issue?

What is it that really needs to be fixed? Maybe there are more travel-savvy people out there than me, but can anyone name a country that requires a tourist to have travel insurance as a condition of visiting the country. But I do think I have a solution. Why not require all countries to have nationalized health care systems that treat all people in the country the same way whether they are citizens or foreigners? I think many countries in the EU do this already. That means all tourists would be covered under the 30 baht scheme if they have to go to a public hospital. Of course, if the Thai government does the math, they will know that they are still making a lot of revenue on the patients who do pay!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Compulsory. The Thai implementation of this will be you pay to get in, and your bus, tuk tuk or motorcycle accident, food poisoning, or bacterial diseases such as dengue and others in the malarial swamp or you will not receive treatment until you pay treble hospital premiums. Compulsory means - we Thais surprise you at the entrance gate with a "compulsory insurance charge" that you knew nothing about before your arrival. It is a shill game done with smoke and mirrors at the immigration window.

No matter bus driver accident runners, food poisonings, building collapses, poisoned room cleaners and sprays, illegal imitation over the counter medicines. You get sick in Thailand and you pay through the nose with or without compulsory insurance. If you have the Compulsory insurance it's just a check in ticket. You still pay through the nose before they release you and your IDs. Traveler be forewarned, travel in Thailand is a very high risk and potentially very costly.

• Like 2

Why don't the public hospitals just ask for a credit card like the private hospitals do?

Might surprise you but many foreigners refuse to have credit cards...some i know who have just refuse to bring them to thailand.

Most bookings, hotels, car rentals etc require credit card

Even having a credit card does,nt help me in thailand if the banks computer deems it too suspect to let the transaction go through.

Why don't the public hospitals just ask for a credit card like the private hospitals do?

Might surprise you but many foreigners refuse to have credit cards...some i know who have just refuse to bring them to thailand.

Most bookings, hotels, car rentals etc require credit card

No I think pretty much all of them will take debit cards too - and will take cash too if booking at the desk. I never been stymied for a credit card here - though I have had the opposite, signs saying they take cards only to find they won't (Amex especially here).

Sounds like just another "fee" similar to the 500 baht airport exit fee that was automatically tacked onto plane fares a few years ago. However, being a fairly frequent tourist to Thailand, 14 trips in the last 9 years, here are some thoughts.

1: On my first few trips I bought travel insurance. However, I quickly realized it was not very useful. No policy or company I could find paid the hospital directly. If I was treated there, I would have to settle up with the hospital with my own monies, then submit claims to the insurance company to get reimbursed. I have medical coverage in the USA, and if I get injured overseas, I am still covered. Similarly, I would have to settle up with the hospital on my own, then I would have to submit the claims for reimbursement to my insurance company. So buying some additional short term policy coverage did not do much.

2: Do you really think the Thai hospitals will take this "Thai" insurance? How much is it worth? How much will the insurance pay out? What if they determine that you were the nitwit speeding on the motorbike and were at fault for your injuries and others? Will the insurance still cover you? This seems like a huge fine print area that needs a lot of scrutiny. If 500 baht will cover everything, then I wouldn't mind that, but I doubt this will stop the need for me to pay should I need treatment.

3: Is there any real data to support the article's claim that the hospitals are burdened with foreigner's costs? I lived in Los Angeles California in the USA and I watched several major hospitals close bcause they went broke treating uninsured patients that went to the emergency rooms and used them as private doctors. I don't see any evidence of foreign tourists abusing the Thai hospitals. In fact, the only stories I have heard are people that went to the hospital and then paid out of their pockets.

• Like 2

Couldn't be bothered wading through all the pages.

Fair enough to me - Thais need medical insurance to visit Europe & Oz

Not allways for australia. It is a condition they may add. Tourist stream does not usually require it but longer stays particularly parent may.

Edited by harrry

Before trying to implement this insurance plan. Why not start by following existing laws like only renting motor bikes to those with a valid motorcycle licence, having tour operators carry liability insurance like dive operators, bus companies etc. Many insurance policies I look at exclude motorbike or "extreme sports" and "while committing illegal acts" (like driving a motorcycle without a licence). My point is the country should follow its own laws first and stop disregarding law and safety for profit then see how this impacts the drain on the hospitals before jumping into a controversial, , possibility ineffective, insurance plan. Think of how many nationals would also benefit.

Clean up your own house first Thailand, and maybe you'll find that the root cause of your woes is resolved rather than treating the symptoms with untested remedies full of negative side effects.

Why would anyone travel thousands of miles without insurance anyway? To me it's just stupidity. My last policy which covered me the 3 weeks I was in Thailand was about £30 and that covered everything from medical costs to repatriation.

I don't blame the Thai government for suggesting insurance become compulsory, because it's nonsensical going without it, especially when it can be obtained for £30-£40 for 3-4 weeks.

Edited by Rob180

TRavel Insurance for over 60's is not easy, for over 65 its really difficult, that would solve the problem though, but wait a minute what about all those on retirement visa who cant get insurance and who will look after the old Thai babe who is now stuck with no support? Did we reallty think this through?

I could , of course get a weeks insurance and stay for a month, hope for the best!

Its a problem all round the world, self insurance is the answer, if you cannot support youself whose fault is that? You must make some sort of effort, do not abuse the system like the they do in the UK, this is not the UK.

Edited by nong38

Before trying to implement this insurance plan. Why not start by following existing laws like only renting motor bikes to those with a valid motorcycle licence, having tour operators carry liability insurance like dive operators, bus companies etc. Many insurance policies I look at exclude motorbike or "extreme sports" and "while committing illegal acts" (like driving a motorcycle without a licence). My point is the country should follow its own laws first and stop disregarding law and safety for profit then see how this impacts the drain on the hospitals before jumping into a controversial, , possibility ineffective, insurance plan. Think of how many nationals would also benefit.

Clean up your own house first Thailand, and maybe you'll find that the root cause of your woes is resolved rather than treating the symptoms with untested remedies full of negative side effects.

You are right, if they respected their own laws and the police enforced them correctly they roads would be a lot safer, paying for insuance really just papers over the cracks in the system, but, someone will benfit from that but it does not make it right, corrupt practise is at every junction, potentially.

Edited by nong38

500 baht won't buy adequate insurance for anything serious but a nice earner anyway ...

In Germany you can buy a decent travel insurance with the full coverage, including the transportation back, for as low as 6 Euros or 240 THB per annum. The insurance is valid for a max. of 70 days in any foreign country, starting with the entry. The rate reflects the probability of tourists becoming ill, or get involved in an accident.

Therefore an insurance rate of 500 THB is another big business for Thailand, also considering, that most tourists stay two to four weeks only.

Are you sure that the prices you give are not per day to insure, 6 euro per annum seems way too cheap to me..

I find it hard to believe an annual travel Insurance policy is only 6 euros per year for cover.

The cheapest I see on World Nomads for residents of Germany for a 12 month policy is 859 euro for the standard policy, rising to 1199 euro for the explore policy.

http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/prices-and-benefits-country.aspx?Country=DEU

As for the 500 baht for insurance in Thailand, probably someone just crunched some numbers and came up with x amount and said look how much extra we could make, probably will all blow over and nothing will come of it, BUT TIT, so maybe not.....

...in post 117 I posted the link to the details and also the fine print. This insurance is only valid for German citizens. And as I mentioned: You can travel for 6 weeks. Then you have to return to Germany and start the next journey. The fee is being charged on a year by year basis.

Help yourself. I hope you can read German, otherwise the google translator con be useful.

BTW: https://www.travelsecure.de/ offers a rate of 401,50 Euro, if you want to stay abroad for one year, not valid for USA and Canada though.

post-8625-0-21492300-1376416759_thumb.jp

Edited by fxe1200

Thailand is touting itself as a Tourists Medical destination for foreigners which is a really good thing because they have excellent medical facilities and the costs are good,, i wonder if many people used travel insurance how it would change things,, pondering the issue.

TRavel Insurance for over 60's is not easy, for over 65 its really difficult, that would solve the problem though, but wait a minute what about all those on retirement visa who cant get insurance and who will look after the old Thai babe who is now stuck with no support? Did we reallty think this through?

Why would someone on a retirement visa want travel insurance? Travel insurance is for tourists not people living in Thailand.

Thailand is touting itself as a Tourists Medical destination for foreigners which is a really good thing because they have excellent medical facilities and the costs are good,, i wonder if many people used travel insurance how it would change things,, pondering the issue.

It wouldn't change things at all. Travel insurance is for when you need emergency medical treatment. They won't pay for elective treatment.

500 baht won't buy adequate insurance for anything serious but a nice earner anyway ...

In Germany you can buy a decent travel insurance with the full coverage, including the transportation back, for as low as 6 Euros or 240 THB per annum. The insurance is valid for a max. of 70 days in any foreign country, starting with the entry. The rate reflects the probability of tourists becoming ill, or get involved in an accident.

Therefore an insurance rate of 500 THB is another big business for Thailand, also considering, that most tourists stay two to four weeks only.

Are you sure that the prices you give are not per day to insure, 6 euro per annum seems way too cheap to me..

I find it hard to believe an annual travel Insurance policy is only 6 euros per year for cover.

The cheapest I see on World Nomads for residents of Germany for a 12 month policy is 859 euro for the standard policy, rising to 1199 euro for the explore policy.

http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/prices-and-benefits-country.aspx?Country=DEU

As for the 500 baht for insurance in Thailand, probably someone just crunched some numbers and came up with x amount and said look how much extra we could make, probably will all blow over and nothing will come of it, BUT TIT, so maybe not.....

...in post 117 I posted the link to the details and also the fine print. This insurance is only valid for German citizens. And as I mentioned: You can travel for 6 weeks. Then you have to return to Germany and start the next journey. The fee is being charged on a year by year basis.

Help yourself. I hope you can read German, otherwise the google translator con be useful.

BTW: https://www.travelsecure.de/ offers a rate of 401,50 Euro, if you want to stay abroad for one year, not valid for USA and Canada though.

Looked at the site and it looks to me that it's an insurance on top of another insurance, How can someone cover someone for 6 euros for travel insurance from Germany worldwide excluding America and Canada for 6 weeks, I doubt 6 euros would cover the admin fee.

A six week trip for German residents is 126 euros for a standard policy with, link below...

Edited by MB1

''Meanwhile, Phuket - a top travel destination - has had to shoulder about Bt5 million a year in medical costs for foreigners who don't have insurance or are unable to pay for the services,''

Are you joking that's about 125,000 euros.....peanuts!

Or, instead of making everybody buy insurance, just tell people on admission with no insurance or no credit card that they will be jailed if they don't pay. I'm sure that once they're all better they'll find a way to pay up when they are calling home from the inside of a jail cell.

The concept is probably ground breaking if nothing else, I should imagine this has been thought of in other governments of the world and not acted on, as it would open a can of worms , one comes to mind is the case of Chinese old tarts coming in for a holiday and dropping a baby in Phuket town general ,(better hospital treatment than country china)now what this causes is pure mayhem, as far as immigration is concerned, they did this trick in H.K. so their brat could go to a H.K. school, H.K. now has a ban on preggy Chinese mainlanders being omitted to their hospitals , as they took over the bloody place.coffee1.gif Verdict:Good Idea open to abuse.

However, some tourism-business operators warn that this measure might keep away travellers as well as tarnish the country's image.

I'm surprised that most of the comments here are about whether a compulsory travel insurance is right or not and about the possible profit scheme.

For me the key issue is that quote. THAT is the "message" of this scheme: foreigners are having way too many accidents in Thailand.

I can see now foreign media reporting: "You don't need medical insurance to go to Irag, but you MUST have it if you wanna go to Thailand".

Congrats Tourism Ministry, talk about shooting themselves in the foot.

We have a winner!

This is the message. Thailand is very dangerous for tourists and tourists are having far too many accidents/deaths. Wonder if TAT has the foresight to know how this will reflect on perception of safety in Thailand and the impact of same on would be tourists. whistling.gif

Looked at the site and it looks to me that it's an insurance on top of another insurance, How can someone cover someone for 6 euros for travel insurance from Germany worldwide excluding America and Canada for 6 weeks, I doubt 6 euros would cover the admin fee.

A six week trip for German residents is 126 euros for a standard policy with, link below...

I use this insurance (DKV) by myself, and then after 70 days (the new contract says 6 weeks), I switch to travelsecure, which is a product of "die Wuertembergische". The DKV already reimbursed me for medical expenses, though it was only for the treatment and medication of an Angina lateralis at the local hospital. I believe, that there are more expensive insurances around. But nobody is forced to buy them.

Sounds like just another "fee" similar to the 500 baht airport exit fee that was automatically tacked onto plane fares a few years ago. However, being a fairly frequent tourist to Thailand, 14 trips in the last 9 years, here are some thoughts.

1: On my first few trips I bought travel insurance. However, I quickly realized it was not very useful. No policy or company I could find paid the hospital directly. If I was treated there, I would have to settle up with the hospital with my own monies, then submit claims to the insurance company to get reimbursed. I have medical coverage in the USA, and if I get injured overseas, I am still covered. Similarly, I would have to settle up with the hospital on my own, then I would have to submit the claims for reimbursement to my insurance company. So buying some additional short term policy coverage did not do much.

2: Do you really think the Thai hospitals will take this "Thai" insurance? How much is it worth? How much will the insurance pay out? What if they determine that you were the nitwit speeding on the motorbike and were at fault for your injuries and others? Will the insurance still cover you? This seems like a huge fine print area that needs a lot of scrutiny. If 500 baht will cover everything, then I wouldn't mind that, but I doubt this will stop the need for me to pay should I need treatment.

3: Is there any real data to support the article's claim that the hospitals are burdened with foreigner's costs? I lived in Los Angeles California in the USA and I watched several major hospitals close bcause they went broke treating uninsured patients that went to the emergency rooms and used them as private doctors. I don't see any evidence of foreign tourists abusing the Thai hospitals. In fact, the only stories I have heard are people that went to the hospital and then paid out of their pockets.

I had the same thought as your point #1. It would need to be an insurance coverage Thai hospitals would have to accept as payment in full without the need to "advance payment" than wait to be reimbursed. The so called non payers would still not have the "up front money" even if they had insurance and therefore it is back to square one original problem.

Why would anyone travel thousands of miles without insurance anyway? To me it's just stupidity. My last policy which covered me the 3 weeks I was in Thailand was about £30 and that covered everything from medical costs to repatriation.

I don't blame the Thai government for suggesting insurance become compulsory, because it's nonsensical going without it, especially when it can be obtained for £30-£40 for 3-4 weeks.

Fine IF your here for 3-4 weeks sorry we are not all THE NORM

Perhaps they should just increase the visa fees and extension of stay fees by ฿100 to ฿500 and use the extra money to pay the hospitals the money they have lost treating foreigners that don't pay their bills. Don't put a special charge on the visas, because then the foreigners will think they are insured and won't bother to buy their own. Just increase the visa fee and use the increase to pay for the cheap stake tourists.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Or, instead of making everybody buy insurance, just tell people on admission with no insurance or no credit card that they will be jailed if they don't pay. I'm sure that once they're all better they'll find a way to pay up when they are calling home from the inside of a jail cell.

Actually, this is pretty much what they do in Mexico.