Comedy Nights at Holiday Inn

FrankBlunt

Hello, does anyone know if they still hold the Comedy Night events at Holiday Inn in Patong from time to time? I heard that the guy who promoted them left Phuket and I haven't seen any advertised for a while. If they do still happen, when is the next one scheduled for?

Thanks, FB.

I was going to post something similar. There hasn't been a show for well over a year, yet they are continuing in Bangkok.

Looks like Phuket is off the list for some reason. I have sent a question to the organisers and if I get an answer I'll post the answer on here.

I received the following reply from Pete who used to run the Club.

"I left Phuket back in April 2012. The promoter did do a show which was run by Marc Mulloy and Simon Hand but numbers were not good. It is my understanding that Bangkok has also stopped for a while now due to venue problems. A new venue is being built in Bangkok so maybe when the shows start back up there they might start again in Phuket.
The biggest problem I had was getting people to come along. The numbers were going down every time. Though many professed to really enjoying the comedy nights, most didn’t regularly support the shows and without decent attendance it just isn’t viable.
Best wishes
Pete"

@madmitch

Thanks very much for the feedback. I know Pete used to put in a lot of effort marketing these shows. Without someone similarly dedicated, I doubt they will return to Phuket even if they do get back up and running in Bangkok.

I received the following reply from Pete who used to run the Club.

"I left Phuket back in April 2012. The promoter did do a show which was run by Marc Mulloy and Simon Hand but numbers were not good. It is my understanding that Bangkok has also stopped for a while now due to venue problems. A new venue is being built in Bangkok so maybe when the shows start back up there they might start again in Phuket.
The biggest problem I had was getting people to come along. The numbers were going down every time. Though many professed to really enjoying the comedy nights, most didn’t regularly support the shows and without decent attendance it just isn’t viable.
Best wishes
Pete"

There within, lays a small indication of the future for Phuket.

Many here do not seem to care that the only tourists this place can attract now are Russian, Chinese and Indian package holiday makers. However, when the little luxuries of Phuket start to dry up, such as this comedy show, then it might hit home to some how Phuket is slowly dying.

It was the western tourist market that was creating the demand for goods and services that us expats enjoy so much here.

I will miss this show. I went many times, as a tourist, and as an expat. The price did not change in recent time and the drinks in the foyer were reasonably priced.

Sad to see it end, but I predict it will not be the only "institution" to close the doors in the next 12 months.

THowever, when the little luxuries of Phuket start to dry up, such as this comedy show, then it might hit home to some how Phuket is slowly dying.

If Phuket "slowly dies" to what it was like in the eighties (number of visitors), then, I for one will be happy.

THowever, when the little luxuries of Phuket start to dry up, such as this comedy show, then it might hit home to some how Phuket is slowly dying.

If Phuket "slowly dies" to what it was like in the eighties (number of visitors), then, I for one will be happy.

That will never happen without another tsunami. It's the changing demographic of the tourists that NKM is alluding to. And that will make the place worse.

• 3 weeks later...

The Punchline Comedy Club will be back on Phuket soon. The lack of shows recently has been due to a relocation of the venue in Bangkok. The Phuket show is coupled with Bangkok so we have had to wait for Bangkok to re-open. Not sure what the post above refers to but having done a bit of research I think it is a charity event. If you want to know when the next Punchline show is please join the mailing list via Phuket Comedy web site.

The Punchline Comedy Club will be back on Phuket soon. The lack of shows recently has been due to a relocation of the venue in Bangkok. The Phuket show is coupled with Bangkok so we have had to wait for Bangkok to re-open. Not sure what the post above refers to but having done a bit of research I think it is a charity event. If you want to know when the next Punchline show is please join the mailing list via Phuket Comedy web site.

I used to attend the shows with a friend who has since moved to Pattaya. I recently telephoned him and the topic of Punchline Comedy Club came up.

Our of curiosity, why doesn't your company put on shows in Pattaya? (maybe you do - if so, I, and my friend, are unaware of them)

Hi NKM. Punchline were involved with a local promoter in Pattaya but unfortunately this local person proved to be unreliable and I believe that there were financial discrepancies. For a comedy night to work there needs to be a committed local promoter involved. If you know of someone in Pattaya who might like to offer their services please do let us know.

Hi NKM. Punchline were involved with a local promoter in Pattaya but unfortunately this local person proved to be unreliable and I believe that there were financial discrepancies. For a comedy night to work there needs to be a committed local promoter involved. If you know of someone in Pattaya who might like to offer their services please do let us know.

Boomster.....Are you speaking as or on behalf of the previous organisers of The Phuket Comedy Club?

As you are a newbie here perhaps you could/would clarify your position.

I can also confirm that there is a planned Comedy Night on Tuesday the 8th October at the Holiday Inn Resort Patong (8PM) and is being organised by a promoter based in Bangkok and not associated with the previous arrangements, the new organiser has been working with variuos government departments to ensure that all legalities are covered, which I beleive everything is in place.

91.5 FM will be supporting this initative and we should have full details early this coming week.

Thanks and hope to see you all on the 8th.

Boomster.....Are you speaking as or on behalf of the previous organisers of The Phuket Comedy Club?

As you are a newbie here perhaps you could/would clarify your position.

I can also confirm that there is a planned Comedy Night on Tuesday the 8th October at the Holiday Inn Resort Patong (8PM) and is being organised by a promoter based in Bangkok and not associated with the previous arrangements, the new organiser has been working with variuos government departments to ensure that all legalities are covered, which I beleive everything is in place.

91.5 FM will be supporting this initative and we should have full details early this coming week.

Thanks and hope to see you all on the 8th.

Where is this show advertised?

Is this event running in competition to Punchline Comedy?

I have just checked Phunchline's website and there is no mention of a show on the 8th October.

More info please.

NKM...as PhuketFm states that it is not associated with previous arrangements, I guess you could say the 8th October event is indeed running in competition to Punchline Comedy. This would also fit in with my recollection of Phuket FM radio's reluctance to help promote the previous Punchline events.

NKM...as PhuketFm states that it is not associated with previous arrangements, I guess you could say the 8th October event is indeed running in competition to Punchline Comedy. This would also fit in with my recollection of Phuket FM radio's reluctance to help promote the previous Punchline events.

Ok. So, where can I get more info? Eg. where to buy tickets

I'm happy to suport both companies.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised PhuketFM have not replied on this seeing as they claim to be supporting the event. By chance though, I just read the following on stickmanbangkok.com and thought it may be of interest to you:

"The Scottish Business Group is presenting a night of Scottish comedy with Raymond Mearns and TV star and comedy award winner, mad Phil Kay to raise funds for The Gift of Happiness Foundation. It takes place on October 4th at the Holiday Inn Ball Room, Sukhumvit soi 22, from 6.30 PM. This is an annual event - it being the second time in Bangkok - and though Scottish they are said to be perfectly comprehensible. It promises to be a fun night out with a buffet, wine and beer, plus the comedy. You can book tickets / tables now. The early bird price is 2,550 baht until September 20th or 2,850 baht thereafter. Tables of 10 are 25,000 baht. To book, call 081-8243157 or email:<removed>. Note: there are no walk-ins.

There will also be a show on Saturday October 5th at the Havana Bar at the Holiday Inn on Pattaya's Beach Road, and in Phuket on Tuesday the 8th at the Holiday Inn Resort. Both are independent events and prices are between 1,000 and 2,000 baht per ticket."

Edited by LivinginKata
email removed as per forum rules

I'm surprised PhuketFM have not replied on this seeing as they claim to be supporting the event. By chance though, I just read the following on stickmanbangkok.com and thought it may be of interest to you:

"The Scottish Business Group is presenting a night of Scottish comedy with Raymond Mearns and TV star and comedy award winner, mad Phil Kay to raise funds for The Gift of Happiness Foundation. It takes place on October 4th at the Holiday Inn Ball Room, Sukhumvit soi 22, from 6.30 PM. This is an annual event - it being the second time in Bangkok - and though Scottish they are said to be perfectly comprehensible. It promises to be a fun night out with a buffet, wine and beer, plus the comedy. You can book tickets / tables now. The early bird price is 2,550 baht until September 20th or 2,850 baht thereafter. Tables of 10 are 25,000 baht. To book, call 081-8243157 or email: <removed>. Note: there are no walk-ins.

There will also be a show on Saturday October 5th at the Havana Bar at the Holiday Inn on Pattaya's Beach Road, and in Phuket on Tuesday the 8th at the Holiday Inn Resort. Both are independent events and prices are between 1,000 and 2,000 baht per ticket."

Thanks FB. It doesn't seem to be a regualr event, but one show is better than no show at all. I'll keep an eye out for more information.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, sorry I had forgot about this thread and with the event promoter in Bangkok organizing everything we are set for next Tuesday the 8th at Holiday Inn Resort tickets are 999 thb available at Holiday Inn Resort Patong, start at 8pm, .

Frank, for the record 91.5 FM were not reluctant to support Comedy Clubs in fact we were very active in the last event which was in October 2012. We would be happy to support any and most forms of quality entertainment, if Comedy Club does come back to Phuket they only have to contact us.

I am not sure if I am allowed to load the flyer, but all the details are on the 91.5 FM facebook pages.

Hope to see some of you there.

Thanks

Edited by PhuketFm