Home Security - Sliding doors/ windows + safes

MisterMan

Hi I am about to move in a house with sliding doors and windows. Where can i find locking devices? I have seen draw-like locks in the floor of my friends doors, in the states we had simple devices with a bracket and screw. I can not use a wooden pole (the word escapes me now) as someone installed all doors and windows so the slide not he outside rail so a pole would be futile. (glad i am renting g.eez).

A friend suggested drilling a hole and bolt. May do that. and someone else had some locks called CHINYO.. awaiting contact info for installation. These things went near the regular locking device.

Also we need a safe. I saw the selection in Home Pro but anyone of a link to a dealer in Bkk and pricing difference knowledge? Is home pro a good deal?

Thanking you in advance.

MM!

i don't have an answer to your question but i do have some experience with home security systems. i got a cheap system from China with 4 wireless IR motion sensors. the problem was, it had a lot of false alarms and i'm pretty sure the sensors were been triggered by geckos walking over the sensor.

so now i'm thinking about getting a pressure sensitive floor pad like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Z3S-FLOOR-STAIR-TREAD-PRESSURE-MAT-SIZE-595-170-MM-FOR-BURGLAR-ALARM-SYSTEM-/251157807226?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item3a7a2c007a

and wiring it into the alarm system i have. i'll let you know if it works out

• Like 1

In addition to any hardware you install on doors or windows, I believe a great deterrent are motion sensor lights. You can buy battery powered ones, avoid the hassle of hard wiring and still get around 5000 on/off between battery changes. smile.png

A bit OT but pertinent to security. Put No Trespassing signs out , in Thai of course.

No it won't physically keep intruders out, BUT it gives you the right to use deadly force without a mess of legal consequences and more experienced thieves know this.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit OT but pertinent to security. Put No Trespassing signs out , in Thai of course.

No it won't physically keep intruders out, BUT it gives you the right to use deadly force without a mess of legal consequences and more experienced thieves know this.

Sounds great. Where do you have that information from?

• 3 months later...

There are many simple and effective ways of securing a sliding door, Google "sliding door lock" and choose images, They say a picture is worth a thousand words, from the pictures you can get some ideas of your own.

The simplest way is to drill a hole where the two sliders meet in the middle, and place a bolt in the hole securing the two sliders together, remember to attach the bolt to one of the sliders with a small length of chain or string so that you don't loose the bolt when you remove it to open the door

remember some sliding doors are vulnerable to being lifted off their track and removed, attaching them together makes that a lot more difficult

an other way to secure them is by placing a dead bolt on the top of the slider, and drilling a hole in the track for the dead bolt to extend in to, that way you don't have any loose parts, if you place the dead bolt close to the track with a very small gap to allow the slider to slide freely, you eliminate the threat of the slider being lifted off it's track.

For one slider the dead bolt idea is easy because you can place the dead bolt on the butt end of the slider, for the other slider is a little more difficult because the dead bolt has to be on the face of the slider, so make sure you place the dead bolt on the furthest end of the slider as to not interfere with sliding action of the the first slider.

Edited by sirineou

Am I missing the point here? What does a lock do for a piece of glass that so easily becomes a big hole?

Forget about fancy locks for the sliding door itself, and install a second steel security door behind it if you want to stop people coming in. e.g.

%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%95%E0%

This style serves as a deterrent, a good physical barrier to entry, and also as a bug screen = 3 in 1 :)

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Agree With IMHO on this one, I saw a nice looking steel sliding curtain type locking door in the local HomePro, didnt look to be too bulky when in the opened position, I think I mentioned it on another topic, I believe Hoffen or Hoffer was the name of the manufacturer, I'm thinking of installing this on our Patio doors when our house build nears completion

Just don't confuse security with safety and install all kinds of steel bars to keep people out without thinking about being able to get out yourself if there is a problem such as a fire. I knew a whole family that died of smoke inhalation because they locked themselves in the second floor. The fire never made it upstairs but they couldn't get out because of the security bars on the windows.

If I understand this correctly, The OP is renting a house that already has sliding doors and windows and wants ideas as to how to secure them, Yes French doors are more easily secured, and yes metal gates will deter and secure , but that's not what he has, he has sliding doors,

Not sure whether he wants to go for the cost of adding metal gates to a rental, or even if the landlord will allow it.

Am I missing the point here? What does a lock do for a piece of glass that so easily becomes a big hole?

Forget about fancy locks for the sliding door itself, and install a second steel security door behind it if you want to stop people coming in. e.g.

This style serves as a deterrent, a good physical barrier to entry, and also as a bug screen = 3 in 1 :)

I like this idea very much. How much does something like this cost for a regular two door sliding door?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This style serves as a deterrent, a good physical barrier to entry, and also as a bug screen = 3 in 1 smile.png

I like this idea very much. How much does something like this cost for a regular two door sliding door?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Price varies depending on size, design, locks used, rails used etc. Expect around 4-5K fitted for something like the photo.