LINE check plan gets the flak: PM and Anudith among critics of move to monitor chat users

webfact

"He explained that only those whose actions may compromise the 3 national security principles would be subjected to the division's proposed social media probe. The 3 principles are national security, public peace & order, and social morals."

Social morals?

"Police Major General Pisit reiterated that the probe would not violate the basic human right, stressing the TCSD's jurisdiction only covers the inspection of application's contact list which would be used to identify law offenders. He ensures officials would not intrude personal conversations."

Well that's alright then, just a minor violation of someone's right to privacy, only spying on you to see who your friends are, does this fool actually think that people are buying his BS. We're not spying on you yet but we will do if we think you have the wrong friends.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

Police Major General Pisit reiterated that the probe would not violate the basic human right, stressing the TCSD's jurisdiction only covers the inspection of application's contact list which would be used to identify law offenders. He ensures officials would not intrude personal conversations. The TCSD commander said that the division is currently coordinating with the Royal Thai Police's social media monitoring center in hunting down those responsible for advertising illegal goods and services such as prostitution, drugs and firearms through the use of social media like Facebook and Twitter. Meanwhile, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra commented on the matter saying that she has not yet received details of the TCSDs action. She however chimed in her opinion that when it comes to the delicate issue of violating human right and upholding national security, the proceeding of the policy has to be done in a case by case manner.

Ooooooh. So how does looking at a contact list tell anyone that anything illegal is going on? Upholding a basic right has to be done on a case by case basis. Ooooooh, these people are the bees knees huh. Top of the class all of them.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Pisit's attempt seems to have hit a snag when Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra expressed dismay about his initiative, saying the government maintained its stance on privacy and freedom of expression. "We are not emphasising [chat] applications' usage, but rather people [who slander or spread false information] who use them," she said.

This is dismay by our champion of Democracy? It sounds just like what this lunatic Pisit has been saying for the last week or so.

Well on the face of it she looks good. But she had to add

"people [who slander or spread false information] who use them," she said."

In other words monitoring them is OK they need to do it to find out who is slandering and spreading false information. Not supporting are Bull <deleted>.intheclub.gifannoyed.gif

Edited by hellodolly

Pisit's attempt seems to have hit a snag when Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra expressed dismay about his initiative, saying the government maintained its stance on privacy and freedom of expression. "We are not emphasising [chat] applications' usage, but rather people [who slander or spread false information] who use them," she said.

This is dismay by our champion of Democracy? It sounds just like what this lunatic Pisit has been saying for the last week or so.

Well on the face of it she looks good. But she had to add

"people [who slander or spread false information] who use them," she said."

In other words monitoring them is OK they need to do it to find out who is slandering and spreading false information. Not supporting are Bull <deleted>.intheclub.gifannoyed.gif

She is an expert in talking out of both sides of her face and piling on the BS. I will give her that.

• Like 1

I am perplexed as to why we have the situation with the appropriate Ministry and the PM publicly disagreeing with Pisit. They don't need to do that if they are honest and mean what they say. they simply call him in for an interview without tea and biscuits and tell him he is now posted to the deep South of Thailand as a guard.

Whatever, no more line for me

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unless you are doing something illegal with line, no problem in using it.

Sorry Tom but that is the age old response to the ever increasing intrusion by police and state on the people. How many times in the UK and USA do people say "No problem if you've done nothing wrong"! There is EVERY problem. Whilst the Thai police may be providing much humour, start worrying when they perfect the art of intrusion of privacy like the Brits and Americans have done. The information they gather about you is stored and will be used against you at some point in the future. I am waiting for the likes of Pisit to use the likes of Chalerm to push the Thai equivalent of the Patriot act through parliament.

The 3 principles are national security, public peace & order, and social morals.

"social morals" ....wow, I'm sure glad we've got that man at helm, who can judge our social morals, and decide who's good and who's bad. He should work for Santa Claus.

Does daily imbibing of whiskey constitute infringement of social morals? After all, such behavior, besides causing deaths of innocent car crash victims, can also impair thought processes. If drinking too much whiskey qualifies for his social moral failure list, then Chalerm would be in the top ten, and half of government leaders would fit in there also.

How about summary execution of people who were merely assumed to have broken the law, but had not yet been tried? Would that qualify for one of more of the parameters of our thought-police captain? If so, he's probably got the phone number of the man who ordered summary executions for thousands of Thais, in his 'war on drugs.'

As usual, PM Yingluck, has to try to tip-toe a very fine line, between saying what she thinks (does she even know what she thinks?) ....and not showing a rift with a fellow PT'er. If she could plainly see the absurdity of her thought-policeman's edicts, then she would simply fire him quicker than shit comes out of a goose. But, alas, she can't. Plus, she can't stray from her mandate: "Thaksin Thinks, Puea Thai Acts" - so unless he tells her, on the phone, what to think, she's flustered.

Edited by boomerangutang

Since when did the rights of customers outweigh the rights of the supplier and the country, in Thailand. This is a fundamental cultural point of view in Thailand. Benefitting companies at the expense of the Thai consumer is virtually a national law, there are no monopoly laws, they prevent extra competition by preventing liberalisation, hence why companies are able to basically dictate to the market the price they will charge. I mean what is the point in opening a company if you have to take a risk and face a packed market?

The people are subjegated to the will of the government and companies. Not the other way round.

Then if you complain or challenge the service you will get, you essentially have little right to complain, then take it public and you will get walloped with a defamation suit.

Of course I agree with you entirely. Thailand does not have the customer-supplier bond that is ancient tradition in for example England, where 'the customer is always right.'

However. Thailand seeks to 'move up' on the global stage, not always by the correct actions, but by emulation and assertation. And so when I post on TV, I have *always* put Thailand in the reflection of the more modern and progressive nations that it aspires to co-exist with on the international stage. For example, Thailand did not invent democracy, that was Greece and later England etc. And yet Thailand like many other nations has adopted the democratic system of elections. And while Thailand is by no means democratic today, it aspires to democracy and has the basic framework of elections.

Democracy, customer rights, and 'the spirit of fair play', while currently absent in Thailand, are aspired to by the people here. And so when discussing Thailand I always hold up the high standards of other nations on these topics as a comparison, and as a target that Thailand should aim for if it wants to move forwards and upwards globally. Also I am an idealist by nature, I recognise that not only Thailand but also Western nations have huge flaws, but I always make statements based on how things 'should be' not just on how they currently are. In a functionalist worldview, you always bypass things that don't work and say 'this is how to get it working.'

Since when did the rights of customers outweigh the rights of the supplier and the country, in Thailand. This is a fundamental cultural point of view in Thailand. Benefitting companies at the expense of the Thai consumer is virtually a national law, there are no monopoly laws, they prevent extra competition by preventing liberalisation, hence why companies are able to basically dictate to the market the price they will charge. I mean what is the point in opening a company if you have to take a risk and face a packed market?

The people are subjegated to the will of the government and companies. Not the other way round.

Then if you complain or challenge the service you will get, you essentially have little right to complain, then take it public and you will get walloped with a defamation suit.

Of course I agree with you entirely. Thailand does not have the customer-supplier bond that is ancient tradition in for example England, where 'the customer is always right.'

However. Thailand seeks to 'move up' on the global stage, not always by the correct actions, but by emulation and assertation. And so when I post on TV, I have *always* put Thailand in the reflection of the more modern and progressive nations that it aspires to co-exist with on the international stage. For example, Thailand did not invent democracy, that was Greece and later England etc. And yet Thailand like many other nations has adopted the democratic system of elections. And while Thailand is by no means democratic today, it aspires to democracy and has the basic framework of elections.

Democracy, customer rights, and 'the spirit of fair play', while currently absent in Thailand, are aspired to by the people here. And so when discussing Thailand I always hold up the high standards of other nations on these topics as a comparison, and as a target that Thailand should aim for if it wants to move forwards and upwards globally. Also I am an idealist by nature, I recognise that not only Thailand but also Western nations have huge flaws, but I always make statements based on how things 'should be' not just on how they currently are. In a functionalist worldview, you always bypass things that don't work and say 'this is how to get it working.'

Who says they want to move up?

They are the hub, the centre, the obelisk around which south east Asia will in their opinion turn.

They believe they will be the, education, medical, distribution, manufacturing, agricultural, financial services, legal, regional head office hub which will inevitably make them all rich.

Problem is. Essentially, this country is not capable of delivering any of these services to an international standard.

They may and probably will become the wonky wheel. The only service for which Thailand is internationally famous is to be found on websites outside Thailand because they are so ashamed of it they pretend it isn't there.

• Like 1

They are the hub, the centre, the obelisk around which south east Asia will in their opinion turn.

They believe they will be the, education, medical, distribution, manufacturing, agricultural, financial services, legal, regional head office hub which will inevitably make them all rich.

Problem is. Essentially, this country is not capable of delivering any of these services to an international standard.

They may and probably will become the wonky wheel. The only service for which Thailand is internationally famous is to be found on websites outside Thailand because they are so ashamed of it they pretend it isn't there.

Well I agree with you here again, Thais do have a very proud and defiant history of 'face' and holding themselves as peerless. Many might say incidentally that this stems historically from repelling invaders on all sides. But as you well know, 'face' is superficial, it is (in most cases) only the front that they put out to the world at large.

However, beneath the mask, most educated Thais realise that the last century of civil strife and mayhem, the rotting root and branch corruption, the equality gulf, is far worse than in the West, nations over there which have so many problems too, are a shining beacon by comparison. And I can't speak for your Thai friends, but I have many educated Thai friends here in Bangkok and once you get past the 'face' you realise that they know all too well how badly Thailand needs a corruption null-point and greater electoral integrity etc. The major parties here all campaign on bringing 'true democracy', why would they even bother with that if they weren't emulating the philosophies of Ancient Greece and the democratic elections in the UK etc. Again I'm not saying the UK is perfect, far from it, but voter intimidation and fraud and the kind of mafia tactics of PVP, do not exist in the UK. So obviously if Thai politicians claim to be truly democratic then we should hold them up to comparison with other nations who have had democracy for centuries. Its not for criticism or mockery, its for the realisation and progress in this beautiful land.

And the same really does apply to customer-supplier etc. If you talk the talk, you have to walk the walk, eventually. The internet especially, which began decades ago as a tool of empowerment and liberation, if a nation takes on the internet and offers ISPs to its citizens, it has to comply with the norms and the spirit of that institution, otherwise the institution loses its whole purpose in that nation.

Well I agree with you here again, Thais do have a very proud and defiant history of 'face' and holding themselves as peerless. Many might say incidentally that this stems historically from repelling invaders on all sides. But as you well know, 'face' is superficial, it is (in most cases) only the front that they put out to the world at large.

However, beneath the mask, most educated Thais realise that the last century of civil strife and mayhem, the rotting root and branch corruption, the equality gulf, is far worse than in the West, nations over there which have so many problems too, are a shining beacon by comparison. And I can't speak for your Thai friends, but I have many educated Thai friends here in Bangkok and once you get past the 'face' you realise that they know all too well how badly Thailand needs a corruption null-point and greater electoral integrity etc. The major parties here all campaign on bringing 'true democracy', why would they even bother with that if they weren't emulating the philosophies of Ancient Greece and the democratic elections in the UK etc. Again I'm not saying the UK is perfect, far from it, but voter intimidation and fraud and the kind of mafia tactics of PVP, do not exist in the UK. So obviously if Thai politicians claim to be truly democratic then we should hold them up to comparison with other nations who have had democracy for centuries. Its not for criticism or mockery, its for the realisation and progress in this beautiful land.

And the same really does apply to customer-supplier etc. If you talk the talk, you have to walk the walk, eventually. The internet especially, which began decades ago as a tool of empowerment and liberation, if a nation takes on the internet and offers ISPs to its citizens, it has to comply with the norms and the spirit of that institution, otherwise the institution loses its whole purpose in that nation.

I have pulled the wool over my eyes believing that my kids can get a decent education here. Even in the international schools where my children's friends have attended and the bilingual schools my kids have attended the problems are enormous.

So, I will say I also say that I have some educated Thai friends, but I honestly believe they are grossly over estimating their v value to the world. Their level of intellectual curiosity is about a level of a 13 year old in the west.

I am a mere graduate, who has proof read and submitted after improvement 3 PhDs and 4 masters degrees on subjects I know nothing about. Education in this country is an absolute fraud.

So, if you take the starting point that all Thai kids get that they are the pinnacle of south east Asia.

At the end of the day they are grossly delusional about their worldliness and worth to the world and they exploit their laws to actively dissuade people from contributing.

I an Welsh by heritage, and I fought snobbery all my life to get ahead via hard work and a bit of luck

I will be dammed if I am going to let my kids work for 15k a month while some Thai Chinese s**t makes millions by excluding competition from the market.

I'm off and Thailand can stew in its own pool while ASEAN eats it up.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Pisit softened his stance in an interview at a press conference, saying it was Line's right to decide whether it wanted to cooperate. "If they do not, we have other ways to inspect Line messages. But it would be good if they do, it would be helpful" to TCSD work to check out on Line users.

what an utter <deleted>.

• Like 1

Pisit softened his stance in an interview at a press conference, saying it was Line's right to decide whether it wanted to cooperate. "If they do not, we have other ways to inspect Line messages. But it would be good if they do, it would be helpful" to TCSD work to check out on Line users.

what an utter <deleted>.

Nuff said....

• Like 1