Russian assaults pick-up driver and flees the scene: Motorbike accident in Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Couple more things in there that aren't smart. wink.png

Probably starting with renting/riding a motorbike.

So should he walk?

Could it be that the Thai driver pulled in front of him causing the accident, thus causing the issue?

Having ridden bikes, motorbikes and driven a car in this country, i would find it easy to believe that!

• Like 1

He is Russian. He is guest in this country. He gets into an accident. He gets into a fight. He assaults police. He should be deported, asap. Rumours abound that new visa restrictions will be applied to Russians. Seem to be nothing but trouble in Pattaya, Phuket, Bangkok and other locations.

Based on Russians reaction, I would guess it was pickup driver's fault. When I do wrong, I am apologetic, not angry. I know I may be extending myself on this one by assuming Russian may have similar thought processes..... maybe ex KGB? Or current CIA? Maybe Russian couldn't read Thai sticker which (translated) says "As a matter of fact, I do own the whole dam_n road".

In countries like Russia and Thailand where most people do not know the actual traffic rules, there will be a lot of different perceptions reg. who is right and who is wrong.

As an example. In most countries if you brake for any reason (or even no reason at all) and someone hits you from behind, the car hitting you from behind will be wrong, as he should have kept safe distance. In Thailand however, most drivers will blame you for braking too hard and consider it your fault. (had you not braked, there would not have been an accident).

Another example. Someone flashes his lights at you in order to tell you to give way for whatever reason. He may be overtaking a car in the oncoming lane or coming out from a side road, or turning into a side road or similar. It turns out you do not give way, as by the rules he has to wait and give way to you, and you end up crashing into eachother. The Thai driver will now be upset at you, as by flashing his lights he has already informed you that he is now changing the rules for a few seconds.

Or a motorbike is driving between lanes and you open a taxi door and he crashes into it. He will argue that you should have looked before opening the door and he is therefore upset. The law however is that he is not allowed to drive between lanes, but should have driven like a car and be positioned behind you. He is therefore wrong.

The list is endless and often even the police do not know who is right and wrong. The court can and will tell you, but most people do not take matters that far.

• Like 1

To read the story, it places the blame for the accident firmly at the motorbike's door. I'm not condoning the Russian's actions, but I'm guessing he felt the pick-up driver was at fault, which seems to make more sense.

From a Thai perspective, the Russians were out of control and angry - therefore the accident probably occurred as a result of their anger. No doubt the police concluded the same when they attempted to arrest them.

I don't think there's anywhere near enough information to make an assessment on fault from the article, but the farangs of Pattaya are typically no better drivers than the Thais.

Of course for the Russian it would be normal for him to wait for a car to jump the red light, then ride into the violating car. Reality Thai guy ran the red light, which caused the accident; Thai guy was caught of guard as he did not have a gang around him when angry Russian confronted him - Thai guy lost face so he called police to help Thai guy rebuild his pride - police went out of their way to find Russian, who could not believe or understand the lonely Thai guy had lost face. Now Thai police are losing face as no offence has been committed by Russian, so he abuses the Russian to the point he got angry, now the police can charge him.

Edited by britinthai
  • Like 1

Based on Russians reaction, I would guess it was pickup driver's fault. When I do wrong, I am apologetic, not angry. I know I may be extending myself on this one by assuming Russian may have similar thought processes..... maybe ex KGB? Or current CIA? Maybe Russian couldn't read Thai sticker which (translated) says "As a matter of fact, I do own the whole dam_n road".

In countries like Russia and Thailand where most people do not know the actual traffic rules, there will be a lot of different perceptions reg. who is right and who is wrong.

As an example. In most countries if you brake for any reason (or even no reason at all) and someone hits you from behind, the car hitting you from behind will be wrong, as he should have kept safe distance. In Thailand however, most drivers will blame you for braking too hard and consider it your fault. (had you not braked, there would not have been an accident).

Another example. Someone flashes his lights at you in order to tell you to give way for whatever reason. He may be overtaking a car in the oncoming lane or coming out from a side road, or turning into a side road or similar. It turns out you do not give way, as by the rules he has to wait and give way to you, and you end up crashing into eachother. The Thai driver will now be upset at you, as by flashing his lights he has already informed you that he is now changing the rules for a few seconds.

Or a motorbike is driving between lanes and you open a taxi door and he crashes into it. He will argue that you should have looked before opening the door and he is therefore upset. The law however is that he is not allowed to drive between lanes, but should have driven like a car and be positioned behind you. He is therefore wrong.

The list is endless and often even the police do not know who is right and wrong. The court can and will tell you, but most people do not take matters that far.

When you take it to court, you pay fees and your bike/car is tied up for a minimum of two weeks while they conduct investigation. Tourists don't know their rights/options and that's why they get shafted easily; especially if you're only here on a one week trip (or binge 555)

I wonder what state the motorbike's tyres were in. At least 40% of the ones that I notice are at least part bald. If the motorbike crashed into the pick-up, possible causes include ineffective brakes (particularly if drum brakes and wet), driving too close, slippery road surface, inattention and not reading the road ahead. No sympathy for the Russian after his behaviour. Isn't giving a police officer a hard time a criminal offence here? Will a plea of 'I'm just a ting tong farang' get the guy out of shtuck?

So should he walk?

Could it be that the Thai driver pulled in front of him causing the accident, thus causing the issue?

Having ridden bikes, motorbikes and driven a car in this country, i would find it easy to believe that!

As I wrote earlier, my experience has been that most Russians do not have a bike license (let's face it, Russia is not the best country to ride a bike...).

But of course, it must be the the Thai that is at fault. On Thaivisa, Thais are pretty much to blame for everything: global warming, financial crisis, war in the Middle East;-)

Call me crazy but I do not buy the sweet and innocent pick up driver story.

I am sure Russian abused the cops but have hard time believing he just assaulted the driver for fun

Guess you don't live near Naklua. I have seen drunk Russians assault business signs when they are drunk. I am pretty sure the sign did nothing to insult them.

You are right , I do not live near NAklua. So how many have you seen?

So should he walk?

As I wrote earlier, my experience has been that most Russians do not have a bike license (let's face it, Russia is not the best country to ride a bike...).

But of course, it must be the the Thai that is at fault. On Thaivisa, Thais are pretty much to blame for everything: global warming, financial crisis, war in the Middle East;-)

Have you been to Russia and where?

You saying most Thai do have a license ?

Edited by lemoncake

Time for Thailand to get smart and change visa rules for Russians as well.

Visa rules for Russians is no different to visa rules for most others.

Lot nicer than shengen members.

hows that?
3 months on arrival to start with.

I am sure Russian abused the cops but have hard time believing he just assaulted the driver for fun

Guess you don't live near Naklua. I have seen drunk Russians assault business signs when they are drunk. I am pretty sure the sign did nothing to insult them.

It is far too common to see belligerent behavior on my soi, but the best one was when two drunken sots wandered down the soi punching out signs and falling down in the gutters. The police were called but after discussions with the shop owners no charges were pressed. Two police then followed their ramblings for the next 45 minutes up and down the road, just waiting for a Thai to get angry and press charges. Eventually they staggered back to their hotel, oblivious to how lucky they were.

The second best was when 2 of them rented a brand new camry hybrid and crashed it into a power pole right outside my favorite bar. The safe speed on my soi is 20km, they were doing 60 or so. Luckily the power pole was stronger and the car wrapped around it. A woman and child were just on the other side of the pole, unhurt. The drunkards laughed and wandered away. It took the tow truck a half hour to extricate the car.

Mostly they tend to congregate right in the street to decide what to do. Even the soi dogs have more sense and move when I drive up on them. The locals can usually determine the nationality of the tourists by how long they will stay in the street with the traffic trying to get around...

To read the story, it places the blame for the accident firmly at the motorbike's door. I'm not condoning the Russian's actions, but I'm guessing he felt the pick-up driver was at fault, which seems to make more sense.

"...which seems to make more sense."

Certainly it does. The pick-up driver must have been at fault. I wasn't there and know nothing about the incident, but from my lofty perch of omniscience I can easily see the pick-up driver was Thai and therefore at fault.

And the story seems to blame the Russians for insulting the police. Clearly the police were at fault for butting in.

Case closed. Next!

The "I'm guessing" judge presiding.

Every single thread and every single post you ALWAYS without a fail defend a Thai.

Any reason why Thai is always right in your books?

The uaual reason for defending thais is the apologists have a thai wife, or in love with a thai

• Like 1

I am told Thais do not need Visa for visiting Russia. Is this not reciprocal?

Not true Russians get 30days at land crossings most others get 15.

Wow .... That is such a huge difference

I am told Thais do not need Visa for visiting Russia. Is this not reciprocal?
I believe so, same as Russians get 30 day stamp.

The long stay visa is the same rules

Edited by lemoncake

I will write what many should have written here:

Darn, I wonder what happened there....whistling.gif

That's true, but then it wouldn't be TV would it. They never let the facts (or lack thereof) get in the way of a good speculative rant or push their own little obscure barrows.

Nobody's bothered to blame the imaginary dog that ran across the road and caused this particular incident yet.....but hey, wait long enough and somebody will do it, and then they'll probably bemoan the traits of Thai dogs versus Russian dogs and whether the Russian dogs have licences or not. blink.png

"...which seems to make more sense."

Certainly it does. The pick-up driver must have been at fault. I wasn't there and know nothing about the incident, but from my lofty perch of omniscience I can easily see the pick-up driver was Thai and therefore at fault.

And the story seems to blame the Russians for insulting the police. Clearly the police were at fault for butting in.

Case closed. Next!

The "I'm guessing" judge presiding.

Every single thread and every single post you ALWAYS without a fail defend a Thai.

Any reason why Thai is always right in your books?

The uaual reason for defending thais is the apologists have a thai wife, or in love with a thai

Do you regret misspelling "Monger" as your handle? coffee1.gif

It is far too common to see belligerent behavior on my soi, but the best one was when two drunken sots wandered down the soi punching out signs and falling down in the gutters. The police were called but after discussions with the shop owners no charges were pressed. Two police then followed their ramblings for the next 45 minutes up and down the road, just waiting for a Thai to get angry and press charges. Eventually they staggered back to their hotel, oblivious to how lucky they were.

The second best was when 2 of them rented a brand new camry hybrid and crashed it into a power pole right outside my favorite bar. The safe speed on my soi is 20km, they were doing 60 or so. Luckily the power pole was stronger and the car wrapped around it. A woman and child were just on the other side of the pole, unhurt. The drunkards laughed and wandered away. It took the tow truck a half hour to extricate the car.

Mostly they tend to congregate right in the street to decide what to do. Even the soi dogs have more sense and move when I drive up on them. The locals can usually determine the nationality of the tourists by how long they will stay in the street with the traffic trying to get around...

Good to see you very rational in your thinking,

OH sorry, but how many times did they assault someone?

Nothing was said Whom was wrong, Maybe the pickup was in the wrong??? Something the pickup driver wouldn't admit,I would say.Make sure you know all the facts before you write your news or don't write at all !

Lets put it this way, if other party was at fault, rest assured pick up driver would not be sitting in the car.

Just the fact that he did not even get out of the car shows he was in the wrong and was not even going to deal with it.

And you are right, why no detail of how accident occurred? possibly the reason for Russian to get angry at police(not saying smart or right thing to do) because the truck driver was in the wrong, but they came to grab him

Also why or where is the evidence Russian did assault him? i do not see any pics of injury's or witnesses.

they argued and even insulted police officers

Not smart!

Russians don't speak much English or Thai.

Thai police don't speak much Russian.

When someone is irate and angry with someone, they usually rattle off in their own language - Russian in this case.

So how come the police knew he was insulting them?

they argued and even insulted police officers

Not smart!

Russians don't speak much English or Thai.

Thai police don't speak much Russian.

When someone is irate and angry with someone, they usually rattle off in their own language - Russian in this case.

So how come the police knew he was insulting them?

If i had to guess, i would say it was the tone and face expressions.