Why Bangkok street food sucks: Opinion

webfact

You said it your article. vendors have a "meager budget" if you don't like it go eat at a 5 star restaurant, there's plenty of them. Or you could always get a cab to the airport. :)

Part of the reason you came here was for cheap food etc, now your complaining about it, time to go.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gf washes dishes and does the laundry with water we can't drink. I have had no problem in some yrs yet. But maybe the OP would want the water infrastructure cleaned up. Thailand is not a developed country, we expect street food vendors.

Many people make 6,000 baht per month. They can't all eat at a fancy restaurant, which as was said may also be infested with vermin and use msg since it has not been banned.

HANDS OFF BANGKOK'S STREET FOOD....it is a National Treasure. As an expat with 20 years here, I am truly qualified to comment. Large restoraunts and fast food joints are a far bigger health risk.

It seems to me that Terrence Wang's only qualification is that of Ham Shanker. Nowhere in the world compares with Bangkok for cheap, delicious food .If you don't appreciate it go somewhere else.

• Like 1

I'll never forget being at the southern bus station years ago a seeing a little boy pissing quite high in the air and into one of those big woks full of oil for deep frying. All the thais thought it was funny and so did I but of course I didnt buy anything. Another thing that I always noticed was anytime I saw a food vendor from fortune town food centre in the toilets I would make a point of watching to see if they washed their hands. Yep, you guessed it. Never saw it happen. Still the only 2 times I got real sick was in a pretty decent joint on my 1st nite in BK after green curry, and years later at a moo krata place in ratchada.

Ate heaps of street food over the years. The thing that did my system in ie IBS was severe stress from a real tough live in care job in London for 5 months straight no day off 22hr day on duty. I was eating very healthy and simply at the time.

Edited by Mur

Somebody said, "Pretty much agree that most, not all, soi chow has too much oil, salt, sugar".

ALL restaurant/cafe/hawker food has way too much fat, sugar and salt, not just in Thailand, but every country That's what gives it such taste, and they don't care if they slowly kill you.

I avoid eating street food if I can . It's just not healthy for you , even if some of it tastes good.

Yes I am paying 100 baht for my dinner inside a small restaurant instead of 30 baht outside.

And you think the ingredients are different???

Most certainly are if the restaurant is any good at buying.

You said it your article. vendors have a "meager budget" if you don't like it go eat at a 5 star restaurant, there's plenty of them. Or you could always get a cab to the airport. smile.png

Part of the reason you came here was for cheap food etc, now your complaining about it, time to go.

Wrong!

As my missus says "Street food is for Thais who cannot afford anything better. It is not for Falangs."

I avoid eating street food if I can . It's just not healthy for you , even if some of it tastes good.

Yes I am paying 100 baht for my dinner inside a small restaurant instead of 30 baht outside.

So you like paying more for the same thing ? Funny...

No inside a restaurant without rats and garbage around , I prefer Japanese , Chinese or Korean food , dishes for under 100 baht is possible in Bangkok and Pattaya.

Maybe some of the ingredients are the same but still safer to eat there .

Edited by balo

And you think the ingredients are different???

It depends on where you want to eat , I like Japanese and Korean food better , and in Bangkok you can find some really good small restaurants with cheap food , or the food courts in some of the malls .

Yes maybe they use the same ingredients but at least no rats and garbage .

You said it your article. vendors have a "meager budget" if you don't like it go eat at a 5 star restaurant, there's plenty of them. Or you could always get a cab to the airport. smile.png

Wrong!

As my missus says "Street food is for Thais who cannot afford anything better. It is not for Falangs."

I need to show her where the good street food is then. Haha. Meanwhile, she can go on convincing you to got to Sizzler for dinner instead in her beguiling way!

No inside a restaurant without rats and garbage around , I prefer Japanese , Chinese or Korean food , dishes for under 100 baht is possible in Bangkok and Pattaya.

One nice thing about street food is you see them cooking, so you do not have to eat where it looks unsterile. In a restaurant, you never know what they are doing behind that kitchen wall!

On the subject of restaurants. There's one I frequent where the food is good and they pride themselves on being 'clean and hygienic' according to their menus and signs on the wall yet when I popped my head into the kitchen to request the bill last week I saw the chef sitting on the floor chopping up meat with the knife she was using sitting on the floor beside her. I think there was a chopping board between the floor and the food but still it's hardly what you could call good health and safety practice.

Every time I've been to a so called 'better' (read: more expensive) Thai restaurant I've not thought much of it. Bland food, not any tastier than what I eat on the street or the cheap local places (sometimes tastes worse), and about 10x the price for a similar sized portion. Now I don't care if the street food tastes better because it's laden with MSG, if that's the case give me an extra spoonful.

The beef noodle soup I had last week in a so called good place in Siam Paragon at 300B tasted foul. The stuff in my soi at 35B tastes delicious.

When I'm eating Thai I'll stick to street food. If I want to go somewhere nicer I'll go to a Japanese, Korean, Steak House or something.

Wrong!

I need to show her where the good street food is then. Haha. Meanwhile, she can go on convincing you to got to Sizzler for dinner instead in her beguiling way!

Yes, I would imagine that some Falangs think that they could do that.

Sizzler - pah bah.gif

As with most things in life, one has to inspect the merchandise before making a decision and choosing to make a purchase. There are plenty of places that you can see everything, the food, the cooking equipment, the dishes, etc., if it doesn't look clean don't eat there. There are plenty of clean vendors and in all my years visiting (over 15) and living (2 years) in Thailand I have eaten a lot of street food. I've never gotten sick.

haha you got them both in. well done sir!

"I’ve lived here for two-and-a-half years, so I know a lot more than most people about street “cuisine.”" - This is just priceless!

surpassed only by "I've been coming to thailand for 2 weeks every year for the last 10 years, so i know ...".

See how easy it is to make some people happy! I'm taking my bows now. wai2.gif

<dishes for under 100 baht is possible in Bangkok and Pattaya> Are you referring to food available in other than Japanese , Chinese or Korean restaurants? If so, there are restaurants on Buakau that sell meals for under 50 baht.

Wrong!

Yes, I would imagine that some Falangs think that they could do that.

Sizzler - pah bah.gif

I my be a 'falang' but odds are I have lived in BKK longer than her and know much more about it and where the good street eats are then she does!

"No eat street food - only for poor Thai. We go to Paragon! Noodle bowl only 300 Baht!"

Now, as for the ambiance offered by a street vendor, roadside eating is not everybody's cup of tea, but isn't the romantic image of a sidewalk cafe in Paris iconic in the world of dining?

LOL ..... Paris and Bangkok ...ambiance . I don't get the connection here, when I look at that big pot of rancid oil and plastic stools, compared to the Champs Elysee and their upscale outdoor cafes. Methinks you have never been to Paris ! I am trying to put the idea in my head that they are the same, but I keep cracking up.

LOL.... Well, youthinks right -- I haven't been to Paris and was only using it as an example of a place that embraces street side dining. Of course Bangkok doesn't have celebrated structures like the Champs Elysee. However, when I first came to Thailand I loved eating at a humble place on the sidewalk and was fascinated watching Thai life go by. Each to their own, so not everybody needs or wants classic French architectute and upscale outdoor cafes. We're all different, but some people are so self-absorbed and arrogant that they can't believe that everybody doesn't want what they want. Not saying that's the case with you, but not saying it isn't.

Edited by Wavefloater

Now, as for the ambiance offered by a street vendor, roadside eating is not everybody's cup of tea, but isn't the romantic image of a sidewalk cafe in Paris iconic in the world of dining?

LOL ..... Paris and Bangkok ...ambiance . I don't get the connection here, when I look at that big pot of rancid oil and plastic stools, compared to the Champs Elysee and their upscale outdoor cafes. Methinks you have never been to Paris ! I am trying to put the idea in my head that they are the same, but I keep cracking up.

LOL.... Well, youthinks right -- I haven't been to Paris and was only using it as an example of a place that embraces street side dining. Of course Bangkok doesn't have celebrated structures like the Champs Elysee. However, when I first came to Thailand I loved eating at a humble place on the sidewalk and was fascinated watching Thai life go by. Each to their own, so not everybody needs or wants classic French architectute and upscale outdoor cafes. We're all different, but some people are so self-absorbed and arrogant that they can't believe that everybody doesn't want what they want. Not saying that's the case with you, but not saying it isn't.

I just wanted to add that perhaps if Slipperlobster stopped focusing on the negative - the pot of oil and the plastic stools, he/she might just see that there's life and other more positive things to enjoy from a street-side chair. I fear that a night out with SL may be a very depressing adventure as he/she points out all the negative aspects of wherever you are. Taking a glass-half-full attitude is better than a glass-half-empty attitude.

Nice to see this article picked appart so well. The big thing that annoyed me though was this:

"Let me tell you a secret, guys: the poor only eat street food because they have to. They would love to be able to eat good, honest cooking that shows respect to its ingredients. They would love to be able to sit down and enjoy a meal in an attractive venue sealed from the toxic fumes of the city. They, too, yearn to enjoy the pleasures of the Sizzler salad bar. But they can’t."

The author still doesn't get it.

Eating is more of a social experience here in Thailand - the whole experience, not just the food.

It took me over 5 years living with a Thai husband in a Thai community to really get that, so I wouldn't expect a writer here for only 2 years to come close.

My Thai hubby prefers to sitting out on the street or in a local morning market any time to a resturant or even our own home for meals or even his morning coffee, as it is deeply cultural thing.

We sometimes go to resturants and eat various places (even his request or choice), but inevitably he wants to go eat street food or something similar later, even when the locals are unknown to him, no matter how much food he has eaten, as the food is not the only part of the meal he finds satisfying.

The only places this doesn't happen is resturants that we know so well that we know all the staff and their families etc - meals we have there are more than just the meal.

Various street vendors we frequent across various parts of the country know they are making a meal for me when he orders takeway for me and asks to leave certain ingredients out - they then ask how I am, how are the kids, their kids etc have a chat about this and that family etc.

Sit at the same street food table regularly for a few moths and you can find out everything going on in that area.

There is more to street food in Thailand than the food.

• Like 1

Nice to see this article picked appart so well. The big thing that annoyed me though was this:

"Let me tell you a secret, guys: the poor only eat street food because they have to. They would love to be able to eat good, honest cooking that shows respect to its ingredients. They would love to be able to sit down and enjoy a meal in an attractive venue sealed from the toxic fumes of the city. They, too, yearn to enjoy the pleasures of the Sizzler salad bar. But they can’t."

The author still doesn't get it.

Eating is more of a social experience here in Thailand - the whole experience, not just the food.

It took me over 5 years living with a Thai husband in a Thai community to really get that, so I wouldn't expect a writer here for only 2 years to come close.

My Thai hubby prefers to sitting out on the street or in a local morning market any time to a resturant or even our own home for meals or even his morning coffee, as it is deeply cultural thing.

We sometimes go to resturants and eat various places (even his request or choice), but inevitably he wants to go eat street food or something similar later, even when the locals are unknown to him, no matter how much food he has eaten, as the food is not the only part of the meal he finds satisfying.

The only places this doesn't happen is resturants that we know so well that we know all the staff and their families etc - meals we have there are more than just the meal.

Various street vendors we frequent across various parts of the country know they are making a meal for me when he orders takeway for me and asks to leave certain ingredients out - they then ask how I am, how are the kids, their kids etc have a chat about this and that family etc.

Sit at the same street food table regularly for a few moths and you can find out everything going on in that area.

Thanks -- well put.

Perhaps your approach will help people like Slipperylobster to realize that a humble table in Bangkok (or wherever in Thailand) has it charm and appeal. The upscale Parisian cafe isn't necessary (or even wanted) by many of us to find enjoyment.

• Like 1

A smart-arse Falang to boot !

You know Jack sh!t.

Anyone who quotes "Paragon 300 Baht" in the context of this thread must be some sort of moron. Anyone with the slightest inkling would know that better quality food can be had for 50/70 Baht a dish at hundreds of decent Thai restaurants. That is without the many food courts that are well maintained, clean and have a good range of reasonable quality foods.

I repeat - street carts are for Thais and wannabes.

LOL there's virtually no discernible difference between most street food and those little basic restaurants serving food for 50-70B. The only difference is you sit in doors in a smell, hot, dirty, rat infested, location instead of outside. The same people who eat at the street food stalls also eat in these places.

You're kidding yourself. Quality is no better. Seems to me you just can't handle sitting on the street.

Have seen khlong water used for washing utensils and veg by street vendors. Have seen bird droppings dropped into the wok frying banana fritters. And people eating them and said yummy delicious!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks -- well put.

Perhaps your approach will help people like Slipperylobster to realize that a humble table in Bangkok (or wherever in Thailand) has it charm and appeal. The upscale Parisian cafe isn't necessary (or even wanted) by many of us to find enjoyment.

I think maybe a similar thing occurs in Parisian cafes and worldwide as I spent a brief time there once, and after going the to the same street cafe every morning for breakfast, they get to know you a bit and know what you want.

I wonder if a lot of eating experiences are same same but different in various places the world over - just that Thailand has the huge community cultural influence behind it.

It took me more than 5 years to realy get it (been here 6 now). Used to get bummed if hubby wanted to go out for food as we could have easy had food at home, but didn't get it was the community thing - eating on the street you are more connected to other people somewhow...

I just grew up in a part of Australia that had very little streetside dining, it wasn't until I moved to the more ethnically diverse parts of town as a student I encountered similar (which was great for me as I was actually of that descent but had been living in a culturally different part of town where everyone ate in their little homes and didn't talk to others or the staff when they went out). Felt more a sense of belonging.

I found a lot of meditarranean cities had similar things going on when I spent time there too - even if it was just for drinks not meals. The whole hanging out in the park and old guys playing chess - same same but different.

You know Jack sh!t.

Anyone who quotes "Paragon 300 Baht" in the context of this thread must be some sort of moron. Anyone with the slightest inkling would know that better quality food can be had for 50/70 Baht a dish at hundreds of decent Thai restaurants. That is without the many food courts that are well maintained, clean and have a good range of reasonable quality foods.

LOL there's virtually no discernible difference between most street food and those little basic restaurants serving food for 50-70B. The only difference is you sit in doors in a smell, hot, dirty, rat infested, location instead of outside. The same people who eat at the street food stalls also eat in these places.

You're kidding yourself. Quality is no better. Seems to me you just can't handle sitting on the street.

I think you must be visiting the wrong sort of establsihments - or maybe I am just downright lucky in finding clean, well-presented food courts and decent Thai restaurants, many with aircon, serving good quality Thai dishes.

• Like 1

You know Jack sh!t.

This.....

76509_468129943231726_1742496341_n.jpg

is a rat infested hole that both Cardholder and I like to eat at.

You know Jack sh!t.

I think you must be visiting the wrong sort of establsihments - or maybe I am just downright lucky in finding clean, well-presented food courts and decent Thai restaurants, many with aircon, serving good quality Thai dishes.

Do you not think there's any merit to seeing the food and how it's prepared (in the case of street vendors) versus the whole process being blind to us in restaurants? I would never assume that just because I am in an air conditioned restaurant everything is clean and wonderful in the kitchen.

I've got to admit that food courts appeal to me over restaurants -- not only because they're usually better value, but because the handling and preparation is observable. In restaurants, who knows what goes on behind those closed door.

You know Jack sh!t.

Do you not think there's any merit to seeing the food and how it's prepared (in the case of street vendors) versus the whole process being blind to us in restaurants? I would never assume that just because I am in an air conditioned restaurant everything is clean and wonderful in the kitchen.

I've got to admit that food courts appeal to me over restaurants -- not only because they're usually better value, but because the handling and preparation is observable. In restaurants, who knows what goes on behind those closed door.

Oh, I agree that an enclosed kitchen can hide a myriad of things. But, just because you can see it on the street doesn't make it hygenic - sometimes you can see some if the obvious health hazards mentioned above - ie dirty water, meat left out in the heat, dark cooking oil. I would never say ALL street food was crap but there is certainly an increased risk attached to street food carts.