Why Bangkok street food sucks: Opinion

webfact

I’ve lived here for two-and-a-half years, so I know a lot more than most people about street “cuisine.”

Oh my two and a half years and you know a LOT MORE than MOST people.......arrogant much?

Not really, just badly put across. He means he has observed a lot more than most tourists who rave about Thai street food without thinking or knowing about the lack of hygiene, poor quality products, carcinogenic burnt oil etc etc.

The street vendors in the soi I live in stuff all their plastic crap and rubbish down the drains because they are lazy. I watch them do it almost daily. Then the rains come and the soi floods as a result. So they can't work and complain in calf deep water about how they are losing business. Then some men come and clean out the drains and the very next day they are stuffing their crap down them again. If these people can't figure that one out by themselves you can be sure they're not using soap after having a dump in a squat toilet and then handling raw prawns.

Bon appetit.

• Like 2

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the nuisance of street vendors on sidewalks, the grease left behind that runs into the streets and causes pedestrians to slip and falls, not to mention the chili pepper spray that burns eyes and lungs, the grilled chicken smoke that sticks to the hair and skin as you zig-zag your way down a soi. A happy day for me is when rain pours down hard washing everything!

I don't eat street food, never had, never will, so I don't really care what they put on it. However MSG is poison to me, and unfortunately is vastly used everywhere including at some fine dining places. My body reacts immediately after the smallest amount of MSG enters it, so I have learned to cook Thai food and only eat my own homemade ones.

Would I love to see street food banned from the sidewalks? Yes. Will it ever happen? Not in Bangkok. Not ever.

You never know. Some minister's fat little son may waddle into one of the many thousands of vats of boiling oil littering the sidewalks and that would be it.

I avoid eating street food if I can . It's just not healthy for you , even if some of it tastes good.

Yes I am paying 100 baht for my dinner inside a small restaurant instead of 30 baht outside.

You mean like McDonalds chicken nuggets are healthier?

"Ive lived here for two-and-a-half years, so I know a lot more than most people about street cuisine." - This is just priceless!

That would accord him Resident Guru status here at Thai Visa. Is there any chance he's being facetious?

I guess some people are colonialists at heart. The people who brought us Mad Cow Disease and gifted sexually transmitted diseases to every population they subjugated will now tirelessly work to direct everyone where, what and how to eat. When everyone is downing mushy peas along with horse meat whiffle balls embalmed in shrink wrap, served up at the nearest cut-rate furniture store their work will be done.

Well said, and ... pretty funny as well thumbsup.gif

Don't like street food? Don't eat it! Don't like hookers? Don't use them! Of course there are bad places and good ones: they are not franchises! A quick scan of owners, condition of the place could clue a person into whether food might be okay. You have a brain, engage it! I have lived here for 12 years, and blah blah... had gf once worked at "good" restaurant. They can be nasty in treatment of food. Out of sight, out of your mind... And have gotten sick far more often at so called "quality" places than from street food, tho I eat far far more often from street vendors.

I’ve lived here for two-and-a-half years, so I know a lot more than most people about street “cuisine.”

Oh my two and a half years and you know a LOT MORE than MOST people.......arrogant much?

Why jump down his throat for 2.5 years thing ?

He

Seems like a reasonable amount of time to have an informed opinion about the current state of things.

• Like 2

Don't like street food? Don't eat it! Don't like hookers? Don't use them! Of course there are bad places and good ones: they are not franchises! A quick scan of owners, condition of the place could clue a person into whether food might be okay. You have a brain, engage it! I have lived here for 12 years, and blah blah... had gf once worked at "good" restaurant. They can be nasty in treatment of food. Out of sight, out of your mind... And have gotten sick far more often at so called "quality" places than from street food, tho I eat far far more often from street vendors.

It is ok to say do not use them if you do not like them but why shoulod people have to put up with footpaths that do not give anyone a chance of moving along them without having to go onto the road, Why should people in wheelchairs have to stay home because the footpaths are blocked?

• Like 1

I hate most street food and I hate the idiots blocking the way and slowing me down when I am just trying to get to where I'm going and out of the heat as soon as I can. Yes I hate those rats too. 95% of the street food is super crappy, there are a few exceptions and from time to time I find a decent pad thai, but for the most part I avoid street food at all costs. The same could be said for most road side eateries and having said that, the number of times I have seen people in shopping malls who work in restaurants go to the bathroom and leave without washing their hands, makes me rather paranoid frankly. I make my own from freshly bought and washed ingredients as much as possible.

It is ok to say do not use them if you do not like them but why shoulod people have to put up with footpaths that do not give anyone a chance of moving along them without having to go onto the road, Why should people in wheelchairs have to stay home because the footpaths are blocked?

because they would get stuck on the broken sidewalk and tip over on the pot holes.

because they would get stuck on the broken sidewalk and tip over on the pot holes.

You would be surprised where wheelchairs can go. The holes could be fixed once they coulod get at them.

I avoid eating street food if I can . It's just not healthy for you , even if some of it tastes good.

Yes I am paying 100 baht for my dinner inside a small restaurant instead of 30 baht outside.

Did you check the kitchen and it's food storage system out?

• Like 1

You would be surprised where wheelchairs can go. The holes could be fixed once they coulod get at them.

True....but it aint gonna happen

Why are these Coconut blogs posted here ? Who manage this blog to be allowed to publish so stupid things ?

I read all and it is very funny to see that people believe that their expensive restaurant food has less <deleted> inside than street food. Even though I love Thai food, everybody should know that Thai food without <deleted> inside does not exist (even in 5 stars).

Also, I wonder if anybody really think that it is possible to find healthy meat at any restaurant in the world ? To eat healthy meat raise your own chicken and cows...

I hate most street food and I hate the idiots blocking the way and slowing me down when I am just trying to get to where I'm going and out of the heat as soon as I can. Yes I hate those rats too. 95% of the street food is super crappy, there are a few exceptions and from time to time I find a decent pad thai, but for the most part I avoid street food at all costs. The same could be said for most road side eateries and having said that, the number of times I have seen people in shopping malls who work in restaurants go to the bathroom and leave without washing their hands, makes me rather paranoid frankly. I make my own from freshly bought and washed ingredients as much as possible.

As you can see, you are still not dead, so it might not be so dangerous !

Are you living here for 2.5 years ? You seem to know a lot !

:-)

You mean like McDonalds chicken nuggets are healthier?

Doesn't say much for street food if thats what you are comparing it to.

"I’ve lived here for two-and-a-half years, so I know a lot more than most people about street “cuisine.”" - This is just priceless!

Yea I must agree-----after 21/2 years there's not much we can tell you that you don't already know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and CUISINE ??????????__________ like you say PRICELESS

For anyone who doesn't appreciate street food, pick up a copy of Chawadee Nulkhair's guide to the best vendors in Bangkok, very well researched and written.

I just searched online for this book. The lowest price was a used copy for $70 US dollars. No thank you. Over $1300 USD for a new copy on Amazon!

Edited by IsaanUSA

These sites are always full of ways to "like" and "+1" and "add" them, but what I really miss is a "don't like" button.

That Coconut website is just attention whoring by posting provocative, heavily Western-tinted articles.

Could "webfact" please start to post Coconut drivel under a specific username so that I can start ignoring it?

Edited by manarak

These sites are always full of ways to "like" and "+1" and "add" them, but what I really miss is a "don't like" button.

That Coconut website is just attention whoring by posting provocative, heavily Western-tinted articles.

Could "webfact" please start to post Coconut drivel under a specific username so that I can start ignoring it?

speak for yourself only, i find it amusing, though it is getting "edgier".

they are getting attention, good for them.

who knows? perhaps they are the TVF youth media arm.

Edited by GirlDrinkDrunk