Why Bangkok street food sucks: Opinion

webfact

Funny that some people class 50B meals as 'good quality' but 30-40B meals on the street as not being. Really there's not enough difference in price to be a considerable jump in quality plus when you factor in the restaurants overheads such as electricity, water, air con, furniture etc I think you'll find they are more than likely using exactly the same ingredients as the street food carts but perhaps serving it in a more presentable fashion and in slightly better surroundings.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty of good street food vendors - we have some really good ones near my house in Bangkok. I really miss the Noodle stall when I am away working, and it's ofen the first meal I have when I get back to Bangkok. Mr Wang seems like he is a Thailand expert, after 2 years. I am guessing he's probably a wanabee blogger from Singapore.

I do not like the street carts where they are. They are a danger with unhealthy hygene conditions and block footpaths. The same stalls with the same venders in an off street environment is fine.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 2

I suppose every farang new to Thailand has got to try street food. It's part of the overall charm. I did too, of course. Some continue to eat it, and I wish them the best; each to his own, eh? I know of many who choose for themselves a shorter life in which they feel free to eat all the junk they want--I'd call it an addiction. So a friend of mine died early recently for exactly that reason. I made it a point to visit her grave a couple months ago. Wish she'd stayed with us at least 20 years longer, but she died w/ satisfied taste buds.

Me, I value my health and I quickly learned to stay away from street food. Furthermore, I agree w/ those who question the food courts and restaurants. Part of the problem is just Thai food itself: salty, sugary, greasy, high carb, little real nutrition. Best thing to do: cook for yourself. "Oh, I can't do that, I live in apt w/ no kitchen!" Yes, you can. Buy a table, cheap hot plate, and few pans at Lotus/Big C/Central/Robinson's and have at as I learned to do.

Sorry your friend died but do you really have causal link between the death and bangkok street food? No of course you don't

Thai food is so bad, so lacking in nutrition? Try Malaysia where every convenience store is sugar. Or the USA, where the population is grossly overweight. How much does an average Thai weigh compared with a westerner? You've never eaten decent Thai food I'm afraid - I just don't recognize your description of salty, sugary, greasy, high carb. Its bs.

Thai food is great. People eat fresh vegetables here not fresh french fries. Of course you aren't going to get amazing standards for a 30b street meal, but what do you get anywhere in the world for $1?

I suppose every farang new to Thailand has got to try street food. It's part of the overall charm. I did too, of course. Some continue to eat it, and I wish them the best; each to his own, eh? I know of many who choose for themselves a shorter life in which they feel free to eat all the junk they want--I'd call it an addiction. So a friend of mine died early recently for exactly that reason. I made it a point to visit her grave a couple months ago. Wish she'd stayed with us at least 20 years longer, but she died w/ satisfied taste buds.

Me, I value my health and I quickly learned to stay away from street food. Furthermore, I agree w/ those who question the food courts and restaurants. Part of the problem is just Thai food itself: salty, sugary, greasy, high carb, little real nutrition. Best thing to do: cook for yourself. "Oh, I can't do that, I live in apt w/ no kitchen!" Yes, you can. Buy a table, cheap hot plate, and few pans at Lotus/Big C/Central/Robinson's and have at as I learned to do.

Sorry your friend died but do you really have causal link between the death and bangkok street food? No of course you don't

Thai food is so bad, so lacking in nutrition? Try Malaysia where every convenience store is sugar. Or the USA, where the population is grossly overweight. How much does an average Thai weigh compared with a westerner? You've never eaten decent Thai food I'm afraid - I just don't recognize your description of salty, sugary, greasy, high carb. Its bs.

Thai food is great. People eat fresh vegetables here not fresh french fries. Of course you aren't going to get amazing standards for a 30b street meal, but what do you get anywhere in the world for $1?

One dolla make me holla. They give great salsa verde with this 1 dolla beast too. Street food here is overrated I think, in general anyway. There are some good spots, and you have to find then and stick to them. I agree that the average dish here is cheap, but it is cheap crap. I do think Thais have a way with food, but I don't think their love of it necessarily comes out at the average street food stall. It is also all so predictable, another facet the op didn't mention. Have you ever walked around the corner in Thailand and said "wow, I can't believe they are cooking _____ here." It is the same things, done over and over in very unoriginal ways. All that aside, it is quite doable, and cheap, and i haven't gotten sick wither. I just think it is far overrated, that's all. I have eaten better food served by kids walking onto on BUSES in Ecuador than street food in Thailand. It just really isn't that great, it really isn't. I wish it was.

l.jpg

Edited by isawasnake

Uh, no. BTW, I thought Thais eat rice and noodles. wink.png Fresh, not overcooked vegetables? wink.png Ah, even a cursory search in the General News forum yields:

Chronic diseases haunt Thai population

BANGKOK, Sept 8 – Non-contagious chronic diseases kill more than 100,000 Thai people a year, almost half of them under the age of 60.

Deputy Public Health Minister Surawit Khonsomboon cited diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, vascular disease and cancer as five significant chronic diseases, resulting from a lack of exercise, obesity, insufficient fiber intake, smoking and alcohol addiction.

Medical treatment for these diseases costs the country Bt300 billion a year.

--http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/582850-chronic-diseases-haunt-thai-population/?hl=diabetes

Thais Growing Increasingly Fond Of Sugar

Most Fish Sauces In Thailand Have 'unsafe' Levels Of Preservatives

Thais Consume Too Much Salt: Survey

You can read the tiresome debates in those topics and, if you wish, agree with the large brigade of anti-globalists and anti-americanistas inevitably blaming the problem on McDonald's-KFC-Starbucks-TV-computer games-disposable diaper-asphalt jungle. They're refuted by the evidence--after all, many examples of obesity/diabetes in pre-modern populations can be adduced (and the reasons for the problem are just the same); but, for many, taste buds (addictions), fond wishes, and politics rule. You'll never convince a Thai that eating too much rice has anything to do with it either.

Have it your way. We'll see where your numbers are after some years of eating Thai--like those of so many Thais themselves. As for me, after many years of my living in Thailand (far longer than you, I suspect), my numbers are still great and, unlike so many my age, I need no medications at all. I intend keep things that way--and I know exactly how to do it.

Good luck to you, though! smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

What is it with American-speak, everything

either "sucks" or is "awesome."

Just an improvement on the "dull" British english. We upgraded it just to irritate you. I know you think that pretty much sucks, but I am just basking in its awesomeness !!!

Thought the new idea is that street food is so good it is totally sick.

Just an improvement on the "dull" British english. We upgraded it just to irritate you. I know you think that pretty much sucks, but I am just basking in its awesomeness !!!

Hail Noah Webster!

Noah-Webster.jpg

The improvements continue.

I haven't read any of the other comments, but for me the BKK street food is great. Varies in quality just like food anywhere and in whatever venue. For the money it can't be beat.

I just got back from Phnom Penh where the street food is considered very questionable and you end up eating in restaurants and paying in dollars. Give me the BKK food selection anytime.

• Like 1

Hail Noah Webster!

Noah-Webster.jpg

The improvements continue.

Webster was awesome, but his verbage sucked, I bet he was the life of the party....correcting everyone on the spot, as if it mattered. lol.

For the money it can't be beat.

Reusing the cooking oil leads to significant savings!

Thailand's Food And Drug Administration Imposes Penalties On Repeated Use Of Cooking Oil

Plus, all that MSG makes it taste so good!

I just got back from Phnom Penh . . . Give me the BKK food selection anytime.

And we see why:

post-55993-0-57004700-1368187822.jpg

• Like 1

Two nations divided by a common language. British English dull, what a load of old tripe and pobbycock Old Chap. Awesome is a great term but dreadfully overused, misused and abused, in my humble opinion. We could use amazing as a substitute but of course that has been hijacked by TAT. How about splendid, astonishing, breathtaking, awe-inspiring, beautiful or frieghtening, to mention just a few alternatives. Have a magnificant day!

Two nations divided by a common language. British English dull, what a load of old tripe and pobbycock Old Chap. Awesome is a great term but dreadfully overused, misused and abused, in my humble opinion. We could use amazing as a substitute but of course that has been hijacked by TAT. How about splendid, astonishing, breathtaking, awe-inspiring, beautiful or frieghtening, to mention just a few alternatives. Have a magnificant day!
Wow....that post was fully sick man......awesome Edited by harrry

Totally agreed.

Streetfood is absolutely unhealthy and unnecessary. I know that the people who eat it they do so because its cheap but i would rather buy oatmeal that doesnt even need to be cooked and cook my own chicken or whatever choice of meat. Or some canned stuff.

Thats still healthier and would not cost more.

• Like 2

^I found this Australian oatmeal at Big C.... 40 baht and I eat it maybe for breakfast 10 times before its gone. Oatmeal is probably one of the best things for you, it is 40 baht (4 baht per serving), and it is easy. Yeah I add a lot of crap to it to make it taste good, but some of it aint so bad like cinamon and brown sugar. Compare all this to a 40 baht single plate of greasy pork with a nasty, greasy egg on top that has been sitting there for a few hours.

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

I have seen huge variations in quality and choices. Outside Nana, the street food was horrible. No sidewalk space at all. Outside the Suan Dusit hotel/university I stayed at, I assumed there would be some decent eating, but all that was there was grilled hotdogs and stuff. Yech. Places such as Pattaya or Sukhothai I think are easier for the vendors to setup shop, etc. It has to be a challenge to navigate in and out of Bangkok and to keep things fresh and on ice at night (an assumption)

• Like 1

Totally agreed.

Streetfood is absolutely unhealthy and unnecessary. I know that the people who eat it they do so because its cheap but i would rather buy oatmeal that doesnt even need to be cooked and cook my own chicken or whatever choice of meat. Or some canned stuff.

Eating meat is unhealthy also, you don't know ?

Totally agreed.

Eating meat is unhealthy also, you don't know ?

Everything is relative .......... you don't know ?

• Like 1

Don't like street food? Don't eat it! Don't like hookers? Don't use them! Of course there are bad places and good ones: they are not franchises! A quick scan of owners, condition of the place could clue a person into whether food might be okay. You have a brain, engage it! I have lived here for 12 years, and blah blah... had gf once worked at "good" restaurant. They can be nasty in treatment of food. Out of sight, out of your mind... And have gotten sick far more often at so called "quality" places than from street food, tho I eat far far more often from street vendors.

Don't like Nigerian crack dealers? Don't use them, never mind they may accost you or block your human right to use a public sidewalk. People should be able to choose freely but when street stalls force people to walk into dangerous areas whilst being illegally set up on public space it is different.

I am sort of sure that Thailand somewhere in a grotty basement full of rats has some laws regarding hygiene that are also broken by these places. As long as they are doing business with in the context of the law they have every right to be there. But we all know this isn't the case.

• Like 1

Some tips when buying hawker foods.

Cloth that they are using must be clean, mean the owner take care of personal hygiene then it's okay but if you see black and unwash, please choose other one to buy.

Oil if you buy some fry items, like 'Pa tong ko', chicken, fish balls etc check the colour of the oil if it not dark as the Klong water then it's okay but if it's dark it may cause you cancer later on.

I think Thai vendor foods are much cleaner then in others countries like India, Indonesia, Manila, Cambodia which you can flies every where.

What could possibly be dirtier than India?

• Like 1

Some tips when buying hawker foods.

Cloth that they are using must be clean, mean the owner take care of personal hygiene then it's okay but if you see black and unwash, please choose other one to buy.

Oil if you buy some fry items, like 'Pa tong ko', chicken, fish balls etc check the colour of the oil if it not dark as the Klong water then it's okay but if it's dark it may cause you cancer later on.

I think Thai vendor foods are much cleaner then in others countries like India, Indonesia, Manila, Cambodia which you can flies every where.

What could possibly be dirtier than India?

Bangladesh

I agree with the MSG part, but most of the rest, no...

You say people die from the food cause it is dirty, considering the fact that several millions of people eat street food every day, all the time, I would not think it more dangerous than other modern food. Mind you, modern processed food in general are bad, but street food worse? nah...

Edited by InsideOut