Google Maps car stopped in Phrae, Thailand; driver accused of being govt spy

webfact

So they thought the government would send a spy in a Google-car, with a big ass "spy camera" mounted on the roof? rolleyes.gif

Theres even a sign on the side of it saying Google Maps Street View. Come on..

The Coconuts-logo under the article is well placed.

What better disguise! It works every where else! Who are the real coconuts? 555+

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fourth, I urge everyone to remember, that these idiots have the right to vote, which is why democracy as we know it in the west, is completely useless in Thailand. Democracy needs a certain level of intelligence and knowledge to function properly!

Given that the majority of posters on Thai Visa come from "western democratic" countries it would appear that you are, on a daily basis, being proven to be in error if you are indeed assuming that democracy is functioning properly in those same western democratic countries. And being based in the US, I would go so far as to argue that democracy is not functioning properly here despite any presumed general level of intelligence or knowledge, regardless how you might want to define either attribute.

• Like 1

Thai villagers mistake Google worker for government snoop

BANGKOK, August 15, 2013 (AFP) - Thai villagers on Wednesday apologised for mistaking a Google worker for a government snoop as he carried out mapping for the Internet giant's "Street View" programme in a remote area.

The man was stopped by villagers at Sa Iap, in northern Thailand, on Tuesday as he drove through in a marked Google car with a camera attached to a turret.

They suspected him of being sent by the government to conduct a survey for a controversial dam project that has stirred local opposition.

Villagers surrounded the man's car, questioned him and then took him to the local temple to swear in front of a statue of Buddha that he was not working for the government.

Devout locals said the man -- who is Thai -- would face bad luck within a week if he lied in front of the Buddha's image.

"Villagers apologise to Google for the misunderstanding that he came to survey the area to build the dam," said a statement posted on the Facebook page for locals opposing the dam.

One resident said the Google car stirred suspicion as it toured side streets in their small village with a camera visible on the roof.

"The villagers were definitely not happy. The car looked very strange and had something on the top -- there was also all kinds of equipment inside the car," Wichai Ruksapon, 64, told AFP by telephone.

Acknowledging the incident a Google spokesman said the company "sometimes encounters unexpected challenges, and Street View has been no exception".

But he insisted Google "abides by Thailand's local laws, and only features imagery taken on public property".

Launched in 2007, Google Street View is a programme giving panoromic street-level photographs of towns and cities across the world, allowing viewers to take virtual tours.

In 2010 hundreds of thousands of Germans told the Internet giant they did not want their homes visible in Street View over privacy concerns.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-08-15

To be fair, not to know what is a Google Map car when you are a middle aged farmer living in a remote village in Northern Thailand...

I would not call that stupid as some readers do. I don't understand what is the big deal.

There are however many stupid things you see on a daily basis such as tailgating at high speed, not giving way to emergency vehicles, entering cross yellow lines while the exit is not clear...etc..

I think it's kind of charming. Google isn't always your friend. They aimed to do no evil, but their execution of that ideal has been questionable.

Exactly. Think of the various government agencies all over the world Google is in bed with. And how they collect and hand over whatever information they're told to collect and hand over. This may be an exterme over-reaction, but is it surprising people are suspicious?

Lets put it this way, if one is not involved in any crime, one does not even think about things like this.

Personally i could not care less what Google knows about me, i am not hiding anything and i also highly doubt Google on any government agency on this planet has a capability to spy on entire world population.

Yes they have some systems in place and computer may single you out if you frequent or search some terms for example how to make bombs or pedophile related or industrial terms

Complete nonsense. The fourth amendment of the US constitution specifically addressed this issue over 200 years ago. I don't think they were trying to cover up their criminal behavior. I suppose if unidentified people kicked in your door and tore your house apart you'd welcome them in with a..."I've nothing to hide, let me get you some tea."

So you can show many examples of unidentified people kicking in peoples doors?

I ROFL so hard

How will the officials view this?

It was just a misunderstanding, Mai Pen Rai as usual, or will they consider it as a serious fact that so many people are so not educated. My guess,,It's Mai pen rai

It is not that in herd of. It would be a good cover to pretend u were working for google

Cost a bit to fake a car though

There again some of this google earth and google streets is borderline invasion of privacy

You can make out Mu number plate on my house and my Cctv cameras

Threives lives are easier

Does it make you feel good, superior maybe, to denigrate these poor people who did not have the opportunity to be well educated like yourselves ?

Get off your high horses and stop giving Thai people more reasons to think the average farang is an arrogant, pompous twit.

You lot still haven't been able to get over your superior, calling these people ignorant, stupid, uneducated, thing.

They know about the internet, they have a facebook presence which they use to get their anti dam message out to the world,

If anyone is stupid it is google for not having things written on their car in Thai.

This is Thailand after all.

• Like 1

The situation is totally understandable for a number of reasons.

The villagers are opposed to the construction of a dam, remember just how many environmental and social activists have been murdered or have just vanished in the past due to their opposition to both government, business and private developments. Swearing the truth before the Buddha is indeed a powerful lie detector in the minds of many Thais.Also remember as well that these people are accustomed to the idea of might not right from their leaders

Remember that some of the older generation from the countryside are not so in touch with the things we take for granted, Their lifestyles, beliefs and logic are indeed far removed from we sophisticated (?) westerners

Certainly I recall with some mirth and merriment my dear old mum in law and her fear of both escalators and lifts some 20 years ago, that fear is still there she'll climb the stairs rather than take a lift and an escalator is still a challenge too.that situation applies to many of the older folk in our village and the surrounding villages too[

Computers are in many ways still regarded with awe by that generation, Don't mock them, could we live their lifestyle I ask?

We live in Surin and I love it, however at times it is still like stepping back 200 years in time and strangely enough my blood pressure has dropped as has my weight too so my health is better than it was after some 22 years in Bangkok, country life here is not the same as in the big cities or indeed the west.

I totally understand the beliefs and the motives and actions of the villagers.

We perhaps regard their beliefs and actions as bizarre just as much as those villagers also regard our lifestyles and actions as bizarre, But who are we to judge those people and their beliefs and actions?

Live and let live do not mock that or those we do not fully understand.

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

I see from another source that these ignorant of technology peasants have a facebook page.

Ah well I suppose some posters have had their laugh, now could be time for an apology.

Yep.they do. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Amphoe-Muang-Phrae-Phrae-Thailand/113546315324095?ref=br_tf

There's actually quite a few results on FB for Phrae, Thailand.

Fourth, I urge everyone to remember, that these idiots have the right to vote, which is why democracy as we know it in the west, is completely useless in Thailand. Democracy needs a certain level of intelligence and knowledge to function properly!

To be perfectly honest some of the most pig-shit thick ignorant people I've ever had the misfortune to meet have been westerners in Thailand. Plus quite a large number of the TVF membership don't exactly come across as potential Booker prize winners.

• Like 1

To be fair, not to know what is a Google Map car when you are a middle aged farmer living in a remote village in Northern Thailand...

I would not call that stupid as some readers do. I don't understand what is the big deal.

There are however many stupid things you see on a daily basis such as tailgating at high speed, not giving way to emergency vehicles, entering cross yellow lines while the exit is not clear...etc..

Exactly! I would not call people stupid for not knowing that the CIA and NSA started google 14 years ago to fight back the freedom of info and control the web... That would be stupid. This is a public fact, look for yourself and do some research before you delete my comment moderator.

To be perfectly honest some of the most pig-shit thick ignorant people I've ever had the misfortune to meet have been westerners in Thailand. Plus quite a large number of the TVF membership don't exactly come across as potential Booker prize winners.

To be perfectly honest, there is no democracy in the west. In the EU and in the USA they push there agenda true, even if we voted against. Politic is not something that is done for you but to you. Don't you get that?