Thai killer who stabbed a friend to death is allowed to stay in Britain...

Maestro

Thai killer who stabbed a friend to death is allowed to stay in Britain because being deported would be too STRESSFUL for him

By Francesca Infante

PUBLISHED: 10:39 GMT, 14 August 2013 | UPDATED: 11:39 GMT, 14 August 2013

Efforts to deport a Thai murderer have failed because judges have ruled it would be 'stressful' for him to be returned to his home country.

An immigration tribunal ruled that returning the man who moved to the UK from Thaliand at the age of 13 would breach his right to family life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

Instead it ruled that he should be allowed to stay in Britain indefinitely even though he stabbed a friend to death in what the immigration tribunal called an 'unprovoked attack.'

Tribunal judges also ruled that the man's identity should be kept secret to protect him despite his criminal past and potential threat to the community.
The 48-year-old killer moved to Britain with his mother in 1978 as a young teenager when she got a job at the Thai embassy.
Twenty years later he took a knife from the family home and a stabbed a friend to death in a drink and drug fuelled attack.
He admitted manslaughter at the Old Bailey and was sent to to a secure mental health unit but was released into the community in 2008 after serving less than a decade for the killing.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2392716/Thai-killer-stabbed-friend-death-allowed-stay-Britain-deported-STRESSFUL-him.html#ixzz2bx408YgT

-- Daily Mail 2013-08-15

I had to give up halfway through that rambling nonsense in the link. I do kind of get the point that to send this guy to Thailand now would be completely alien to his environment. Wouldn't that be cruel and unusual?

[EDIT: Just to applaud that rag 'The Mail' its usual low grade crap]

Edited by Slip

I wonder why he would remain in Britain for so many years and not become a UK citizen?

I dunno, but my wife has been here 11 years now and she has not taken steps to become US citizen. No need I guess, except for fact we still have different last names which can also be easily resolved.

It was the right thing to do regardless of the reason. He arrived as a kid and spent most of his life in the U.K., and is probably as British as anyone else there by now. The U.S has deported problem kids back to Cambodia who cannot even speak the language, just to get them out their hair. I dont think anyone would benefit from deporting him.

I agree that it is the correct thing to keep him in the UK, however, it is always a problem unless you get citizenship that someone, someday may decide to send you back to a place you no longer know or remember.

I agree with the decision. He's more British than Thai after all these years.

. . . then he should have taken up British citizenship . . .

Deportation is the right answer.

As for the US example of Cambodians . . . you stated clearly that they were 'kids' - this man is 48 years old

• Like 1

I agree too, it was a just and wise decision by the judges, especially in light of the mans mental health problems.

I wonder who on the Daily Mai got scammed by a Bar Girl cos that paper certainly has a boner for anti_Thai stories.

@sing_sling Deportation is not the right answer. This is a compassionate decision. There would be a greater case to answer if the guy had arrived voluntarily as an adult but that's not the case.

Edited by theblether

I agree too, it was a just and wise decision by the judges, especially in light of the mans mental health problems.

I wonder who on the Daily Mai got scammed by a Bar Girl cos that paper certainly has a boner for anti_Thai stories.

@sing_sling Deportation is not the right answer. This is a compassionate decision. There would be a greater case to answer if the guy had arrived voluntarily as an adult but that's not the case.

His 'mental health disorder' was booze and drugs and a more lenient sentence for the murder, as is the norm in the western judicial system.

I understand what you are saying but - again - he is 48 and could have applied for UK citizenship decades ago - one can only guess as to why he hasn't.

Kids? Yes. 48-year olds? No.

He murdered a 'friend'.

As for this:

Tribunal judges also ruled that the man's identity should be kept secret to protect him despite his criminal past and potential threat to the community.
The mind boggles . . . and I am by no means part of the 'string-em-up brigade', rather the opposite but this is simply ludicrous
  • Like 2

I think he was very lucky. Read about a comparable case here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Nystrom

Stefan Nystrom was born in Sweden but spent almost his entire life in Australia. After a few too many crimes he was deported back to Sweden a few years back. He spoke only English so would have had a few problems merging into mainstream Swedish life. He is still in Sweden - the Australian government won't have him back, despite the Swedish government asking that he not be deported from Australia, and despite the UN Human Rights Committee deciding in his favour.

I would venture to say that the U.K. as a whole would benefit from his deportation, but it seems they don,t matter any more :(

It was the right thing to do regardless of the reason. He arrived as a kid and spent most of his life in the U.K., and is probably as British as anyone else there by now. The U.S has deported problem kids back to Cambodia who cannot even speak the language, just to get them out their hair. I dont think anyone would benefit from deporting him.

I agree with the decision. He's more British than Thai after all these years.

. . . then he should have taken up British citizenship . . .

Deportation is the right answer.

As for the US example of Cambodians . . . you stated clearly that they were 'kids' - this man is 48 years old

Youths would be a better term, they were all 18 and over, some have managed to turn their lives around here in Phnom Penh but for many it was a nightmare as they only knew the USA world, Cambodia was like a different planet.

His 'mental health disorder' was booze and drugs and a more lenient sentence for the murder, as is the norm in the western judicial system.

I understand what you are saying but - again - he is 48 and could have applied for UK citizenship decades ago - one can only guess as to why he hasn't.

He murdered a 'friend'.

As for this:

The mind boggles . . . and I am by no means part of the 'string-em-up brigade', rather the opposite but this is simply ludicrous

Naturally the rights of criminals need to be considered and protected before those of the innocent, to do otherwise would not be very liberal.

• Like 2

Most Brits are chomping at the bit for a chance to live in Thailand, so in some respects this ruling is just furthering his punishment by keeping him in the UK. I mean seriously, who would want to stay there if they had a choice?

This guy has spent most of his life in the UK so he should not be deported back to Thailand whether he wants to or not. Most Brits by the way see Thailand as a place for Thai brides, sex culture, haven for perverts, home for the recently poor retired (who can stretch their pension and achieve an otherwise unlikely hook up with a pretty young woman) and corruption. The exception being Koa Samui and Phuket that are still regarded as holiday destinations though, or at least I think so. So "chomping at the bit"? I don't think so.

Here in the UK is far too lenient, so we should deport him. I'm getting quite fed up with we our softly softly approach and the EU human rights act, complete joke!

I kind of agree with you, the EU has a softly softly approach (not just the UK). There are good and bad things about the EU and it seems at the moment in regard to crime everyone is selecting the least offensive approach so it is universally accepted across the EU. But by doing so they anger each individual country along the way with lenient punishment. Still rather have human rights though against the alternative, at least ordinary people there can fight for their rights unlike other countries / continents I could mention.

Of one thing we can be certain: the tribunal based its decision on a lot more information than the few titbits served up by the newspaper.

Yet the basis of our discussions is what is available for us to read

Edited by Sing_Sling
  • Like 1

If he is not a UK citizen he should be deported. Exactly the same as Thailand would do in the same circumstances.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Tit for tat gets right on my tits, but wey hey TIT after all and they would deport probably, as it goes IMO the decision was the right one...

He murdered a 'friend'.

As for this:

Naturally the rights of criminals need to be considered and protected before those of the innocent, to do otherwise would not be very liberal.

The rights of everyone need to be protected. That's what rights are for.

• Like 2

Wow. The double standards in the uk(my country of origin which is now a shadow of what it once was) quick enough to allow a british subject be extradited to face murder charges of am american in thailand but this is deemed " stressful" ? Oh the scales of justice hanging over the old bailey reminder of a bygone era.