Best Anti Virus Program ?

jellydog

Looking for recommendations. I've used AVG for years but they have finally annoyed me to the point of change. Their increasing nickel and dime mentality has put me over the edge.

Thanks for any advise !

Edited by jellydog
  • Like 2

I'm going to risk some flak here and utter heresy - all antivirus software is useless.

The problems you mention with AVG are more or less common to all of it. It's crapware.

What you SHOULD do is browse in a Virtual Machine or at least a separate user account without administrator access.

This isn't as hard as it sounds. You can download the software from Microsoft. In fact, if you insist on having antivirus software at all - use Microsoft Security essentials. It's free.

• Like 1

I'm going to risk some flak here and utter heresy - all antivirus software is useless.

The problems you mention with AVG are more or less common to all of it. It's crapware.

What you SHOULD do is browse in a Virtual Machine or at least a separate user account without administrator access.

This isn't as hard as it sounds. You can download the software from Microsoft. In fact, if you insist on having antivirus software at all - use Microsoft Security essentials. It's free.

Agreed about running a virtual machine but this is not something for the average person who just wants to browse the net for a while. A better solution is Sandboxie. Running your web browser in the sandbox and only taking things out (downloads)that you know are safe.

Best anti virus? I'd go with Avast as well. Too many false positives with Avira. Avast and SuperAntiSpyware seem to keep most computers clean.

If still not happy then Avast (free too!)

Thanks transam, I have been looking for a less resource hungry antivirus, that one never shows in the surveys but I Googled it and it has good reviews. Been trying to disable AVG Idsagent for ages but it keeps coming back despite being shown as disabled in the control panel - rooted it out of the registry today, interested to see if it comes back tomorrow.

• Like 1

SuperAntiSpyware (on demand free) was the only thing that found Trojan-Banker, Avast nor AVG found it. This bug works about bank stuff. sad.png

SuperAntiSpyware is not a virus detection program but malware/spyware/adware/etc. Serves a different purpose than Avast so no surprise that it detected it and not Avast. I have both on my computer and they are not in conflict as they do different things. Running two AV programs though can be a problem.

• Like 1

one of Europe's most reputable Computer-mags recently pointed out that all free AV programs are more or less useless, and they did ten thousands of tests that lasted several weeks.

I gave up on free AV and bought an affordable paid AV licence.

can that "superantispyware" be considered as a good replacement for malwarebytes ? I used malwarebytes for a long time and was quite satsified with its performance

• Like 1

Thread and topic will never grow old.

I used avast years ago and hated it.

I am under the impression it is a different animal now?

I don't necessarily agree, but i heard someone say don't buy anti virus software because the makers design viruses to keep them in business, so there is always another take to everything.

Was there not a virus developed by one govt agency or another that was on so many computers and designed to attack other govt's or systems. These kind of things go undetected??? Depends on the program i suppose.

I was impressed by emisoft anti malware until i had to pay for it.

Try the trial for free, it might even be worth purchasing.

Never used anything like like it before

Also i can highly recommend GHOSTERY for real time ad site protection, very nice tool.

And of course CC cleaner helps in many regards.

but the free malwarebytes version is no longer available, right ?

ghostery, I saw very contradictory reviews. some seem to love it, some absolutely hate it, because it seems to be extremely intrusive, and almost impossible to uninstal properly. but me myself I ain't no Compu-expert anyway {~_~}

I have used McAfee Antivirus Plus on my personal computers for several years now. It's been fine for me. It's been stable, keeps itself updated, and has kept my systems clean and working. As an IT Professional, I worked with Symantec (Norton) for years. Administered the "Enterprise" version for a college IT system. Symantec is good also.

IMO, that old saying that "You get what you pay for!" still applies. When you have any kind of major outbreak, larger companies like McAfee and Symantec have the resources to break apart the virus/worm's code and then design and distribute their virus signature updates out to their customers quickly.

Let me add: I recommend that you have only one Antivirus program installed/running and only one firewall installed/running. For example, if you are going to run the McAfee firewall, then turn off any Windows firewall. I have encountered many people/computers with problems running different applications because of conflicts resulting from multiple Antivirus and/or multiple firewalls running.

Edited by Baloo22
  • Like 1

It's similar to girls. Some think they're sexy, while others wouldn't touch them with a stick.

Avast doesn't find what AVG detects, NOD 32 seems to sleep, while Trojans reproduce happily.Norton slows systems down and it's crappy.

I'd say Kaspersky is the best.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

RE: MS security essentials:

I have read many raves; is it really the shit?

(i mean, how good is it really?)

I went to install it once but it looked like i was relinquishing all control over ,not only MS Sec. Ess. updates, but windows updates (automatic) as well, so ef dat! Anyone who is easily annoyed by automatic updates and reboots by MS knows what a nightmare that is!

So if i use/install MS sec ess can i turn off all the updates, for windows and ms se as well?

thanks

Edited by infinity11

but the free malwarebytes version is no longer available, right ?

ghostery, I saw very contradictory reviews. some seem to love it, some absolutely hate it, because it seems to be extremely intrusive, and almost impossible to uninstal properly. but me myself I ain't no Compu-expert anyway {~_~}

I am tempted to say try it, but then i see your uninstall info.

Why would anyone want to uninstall it???

Nice, lightweight (addon for firefox), unobtrusive, and you get to see all the websites that are hitting you up for your info that you never even heard about before.

YOU WILL BE SURPRISED!

WELL WORTH IT!!!! imho

Edited by infinity11