Tourism Authority of Thailand targets high-end travellers

webfact

TAT targets high-end travellers
Jirapan Boonnoon
The Nation

30212680-01_big.jpg

Agency relies on social media to promote Kingdom as luxury destination

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand is engaging in an online and social-media campaign to attract 28 million international visitors next year, as part of its broader goal of making the Kingdom a premium-brand, luxury destination for travellers from around the globe.

Thapanee Kiatphaibool, director of TAT's marketing information-technology group, said the agency's aim was to turn the country into a premium brand, and to upgrade it from a value-for-money destination into a 2014 luxury destination for worldwide travellers and Internet users.

The TAT is utilising new online media and social media to provide premium-destination information to high-end and business travellers - "quality" customers - she said.

It has created a number of online campaigns, such as the "Happiness You Can Share", "Find Your Fabulous" and "Experience Sharing" projects, in order to provide real experiences for travellers and allow and them to explore exciting discoveries.

The agency is utilising new IT - including social media, mobile applications, portal sites and digital marketing - to invite potential visitors from around the world.

It now has 3.4 million users via the Amazing Thailand website, 420,000 'Likes' via the Amazing Thailand Facebook fan page, up to 89,000 Twitter followers for @go2Thailand, 50,000 followers at Google+ and 7,000 Instagram followers for @Tourism Thailand.

Thapanee said the TAT had also created an online and social media campaign to support four premium traveller groups: medical, honeymoons/weddings, eco-tourism and golf lovers.

The authority currently promotes medical tourism in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hua HIn, Koh Samui and Pattaya, and will further promote these destinations via blogger familiarisation, she added.

Charkrit Soucksakit, managing director of Vejthani Hospital, said Thailand was definitely able to provide international-standard hospitality and services for medical tourism, as evidenced by more than 20 hospitals having attained JCIA (Joint Commission for International Accreditation) status.

The Kingdom is, therefore, a regional medical hub that supports tourists and other travellers from around the world, he said.

Tying in with search engines

Thapanee said the TAT would also cooperate with the biggest Chinese search engine, www.baidu.com, to promote the Thai tourism industry.

It will join hands with local businesses to provide a loyalty campaign for worldwide travellers.

"I believe the online campaign and the creation of digital content will promote Thailand as a destination for premium travellers and help them decide to visit our country, which will in turn increase the economic growth of the nation as a whole. Digital marketing will also help build up the eco-tourism industry," she said.

The TAT expects that this year Thailand will welcome around 24 million international arrivals. Next year, it expects the number to reach 28 million, and for foreign visitors to generate revenue of Bt2.2 trillion in 2015.

"We are a destination marketer that provides digital content to mobile users.

"We try to utilise and apply information technology to promote Thailand as a destination for travellers around the globe in terms of sustainable tourism, and the online strategy will enable us to know our customers and visitors, as well as being able to ascertain the lifestyle of travellers at the digital cutting edge.

"The TAT now has more than 20 static and niche mobile applications to support mobile users," said Thapanee.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-15

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TAT targets high-end travellers

This is indeed a great marketing ploy, it get bums onto or into those more expensive Thai Air first class seats thus minimizing Thai air losses. Keep those nasty smelly low class people out of steerage and convert those seats to first class and Bingo Thai is in profit,

One does indeed wonder just how delusional those characters in TAT are.Tidy up the country, come down hard on the multitude of assorted scam and then some creditably might just be achieved in the eyes of the worlds travelers.

Those VIP seats are already full with VIPs riding free. If there is a spare seat and you manage to buy one when you board you find you have been bumped down for a late booking vip.

• Like 1

I see a few have lost track here its not a thread about Thai airlines as it is not the only airline to fly to Thailand travelers rich and middle class have lots of choices when flying to Thailand. Lets keep on track here people and get back to thumping TAT

• Like 1

"It has created a number of online campaigns, such as the "Happiness You Can Share", "Find Your Fabulous" and "Experience Sharing" projects, in order to provide real experiences for travelers and allow and them to explore exciting discoveries."

"Happiness You Can Share" Sounds reasonable.

"Find Your Fabulous" You're Absolutely Fab? Your Fabulous What?

"Experience Sharing" A tuk-tuk, a soapy bathtub, a bowl of kwaiteow?

• Like 1

Thapanee Kiatphaibool, director of TAT's marketing information-technology group, said the agency's aim was to turn the country into a premium brand, and to upgrade it from a value-for-money destination into a 2014 luxury destination for worldwide travellers and Internet users.

After reading this line, the only image that I have, is a bunch of Chinese and Russian tourist at the crocodile farm wondering why all the crocks have dinner jackets on. Other than that I am not sue what, if any thing, the TAT is going to do so drastically change, the rather filthy, 3rd world exotic into premium and luxury.

keep showing photos of pristine beaches in the Philippines, giving out carrier bags with a logo of a near extinct cat and uttering complete crap as advertising. The high end idiot market will flock here

• Like 2

I think that it's a great idea and TAT will win out! Thailand has a great deal to offer including low prices. I like the slogan "Happiness You Can Share" and I think that we all need to understand that "Thailand" is not just the type of joint that you can find in Phuket or Pattaya where, the TAT slogan should be "happiness you can drink"

Its the "Find Your Fabulous" closely followed by "Experience Sharing" projects that interests me.

What's that all about then. Assuming they aren't following my thought curves.......................blink.png

• Like 1

Krabi incident(s)...

Phuket Taxi scam....

Jet Ski Scam...

Chiangmai Hotel chem. spray....

not to mention the daily beat down and crime in Pattaya...

Lots of cleaning up before the "luxury" tourists show... and I thought not so long ago, they were campaigning and targeting Indian, Chinese, Middle Eastern and... Not to be racial, but "luxury" did not spring to my mind when these groups are mentioned...

• Like 1

Wouldn't TAT be better having a slogan like- Value for money.... 2 years ago they tried with massive - UP TO 80% off goods in department stores, to woo travelers to Thailand...think of all the people who booked for that, you could get that at British Home Stores. Then the OTOP shopping.

6 Billion bht budget <deleted>, a poster asked what TAT are spending this on, Staff holidays on Samui -Phuket- international travel/promotion, Would love a job with them.

I would say again---value for money.

cut out all the scams and mafias clean the canals up in BKK, make the paths safe to walk on, and a thought for wheel chairs, no rip offs at Duty free, dont forget most of your High end tourists are interested in value for money as they are the ones that are penny pinchers-that's how most get money.

• Like 2

"The agency is utilising new IT - including social media, mobile applications, portal sites and digital marketing - to invite potential visitors from around the world"

It makes me wonder what new IT they are actually utilizing, as IMO I wouldn't class any of the above as new.

high end tourists who like to be harassed every day in the street by taxi thugs. which country might they come from?sad.pngcoffee1.gif

Taxi problems solved. Hi-end “quality” tourists do not use street taxis – or tuk-tuks – they use the limousines provided by their five-star hotels. thumbsup.gif

These high end idiots the TAT is targeting, just bright enough to use the internet, but not bright enough to see that Thailand is the land of rudeness, racism, cheating, scams, ultraviolent thugs, ultraviolent ladyboys, police who are there to blackmail, police who think foreigners exist to be abused, jet ski thugs, tuk tuk thugs, taxi driver thugs, frequent rapes and murders and horrific assaults that are never investigated because foreigners are sub human, the land of people who regard foriegners as ATM machines that when don't payout just need to be screamed at and bashed...wow, that really is threading a needle...

WOW, are you telling me these things really happen, think now I know it's time for a big house sale car and motorbike--goods will put on EBAY.

I wonder if what you say is true cause we are getting more visitors every day, so we must be attracting sadists.cheesy.gif

I think that it's a great idea and TAT will win out! Thailand has a great deal to offer including low prices. I like the slogan "Happiness You Can Share" and I think that we all need to understand that "Thailand" is not just the type of joint that you can find in Phuket or Pattaya where, the TAT slogan should be "happiness you can drink"

Its the "Find Your Fabulous" closely followed by "Experience Sharing" projects that interests me.

What's that all about then. Assuming they aren't following my thought curves.......................blink.png

Me too, I have been thinking about fabulous shared curves...

high end tourists who like to be harassed every day in the street by taxi thugs. which country might they come from?sad.pngcoffee1.gif

Taxi problems solved. Hi-end “quality” tourists do not use street taxis – or tuk-tuks – they use the limousines provided by their five-star hotels. thumbsup.gif

erm.. but they have to get out of the limousines sometimes dont they? you know like between the limousines and the front gate of the zoo or the grand palace . that would be at least 3 steps in public where they would be wide open to the perpetual harassment.

Edited by cutieloudmouth
  • Like 1