Eye-opener in Chiang Dao

FolkGuitar

Stayed CD Nest 1 many times ,its a lovely area for a short stay,pool gets bit chilly in the winter.Nest 2 also has excellent Thai food. Somebody suggested a while it could be an option to become another Pai...give us a break !

Lets not forget the Thursday barbecue.....Well worth the trip. Sometimes we drove back to CM, other times over the years we book a cabin if there was room. Wicha (sp) is truly a wonderful host, even stopped by a couple times at our restaurant for a meal and a visit

Thursday night is a must visit.

Edited by Fishenough

What lead you to believe that it was a backpacker guest house? I've also never been there, however all of the feed back reported to me gave me a mental picture just what you experienced.

I really don't know. Perhaps the name? Perhaps hearing the names of the owners used in such familiar manner? I don't know.

It's like forming a mental picture of someone you only hear on the phone, and having the reality be so different. Like the female voice that American military jet pilots used to hear; images of a sexy young thing from the voice (only) of a 65 year old grandmother.

I'm very glad that we did stop in. The Chiang Dao Nest is truly a gem hidden away at the foot of the mountain.

+1 but dont tell to many people!

Why Not??

Because excellent places should not be revealed to anyone, so they go out of business.

( Not saying I agree, but that can only be the logic. )

This mindset is rife on the backpacker forums especially. Something like "if only nobody had mentioned Ko Tao or Pai then it would still be the same as it was in 1990."

• Like 1

I see you carefully avoided mentioning the price, so it must have been a real shocker.

Am I going to drive up to Chang Dao and pay 350bht for an American breakfast, I think not.

Two delicious large breakfasts, with freshly made still-warm bread. Three pots of tea. One pot of coffee. In a wonderfully peaceful setting. 600 baht.

Worth it to some. Not worth it to others. More than my money's worth to me.

I doubt that I would drive up there 'just for breakfast' when there are breakfast buffets such as the Empress Hotel so close at hand. But from now on, when I'm in Chiang Dao and feel the need to feed, I'll certainly consider the Nest as one of the nicer options in the area.

Edited by FolkGuitar

That's nice too, but I was referring to your having finally arrived at a place, Chiang Dao Nest, that many of us have been enjoying and raving about for years and years now. smile.png

Ahh.... I see. My mistake. Of course, people have been raving about The Red Lion and the Irish Pub for years too, but to me they are 'just' bars.

The Chiang Dao Nest was something special.

I see you carefully avoided mentioning the price, so it must have been a real shocker.

Am I going to drive up to Chang Dao and pay 350bht for an American breakfast, I think not.

It's true that it's possible to run up a pretty big bill in their restaurant. The accommodation is not expensive but if a couple were to take 3 meals per day there your food bill can easily add up to twice what you pay for your room. However, in the case of CD Nest 1, their food is unusually good for a Western restaurant in North Thailand.

The gardens of the temple are really nice and, unusually, the plants are mostly labelled in English. The view from the top can be worth while. Had a great time there and ate at the Nest#1 and next door with Malee and her husband a couple of nights. When we were there last the average age was under thirty - we were the oldest and there were quite a few in their early twenties.

Stayed there in the first year they opened,wanted to stay 3 nights,but

left after only 1 night, the mattresses where the hardest I have ever

tried to sleep on. do they have newer ones now?,as i am sure they would

have had complaints.

regards Worgeordie