Making Curtains In Bangkok

New in Bangkok

• 1 month later...
Im looking for some INEXPENSIVE curtains for my rented townhome. Any ideas where i may buy some? I have tried MBK already but they were more expensive than i am willing to spend.

Thanks.

Yes, MBK is a total ripoff for curtains. Go where the Thai's go, Big C. Premade curtains of various sizes and types, under 1000 baht per window (yes, that's per window, not per square foot of material like MBK).

Im looking for some INEXPENSIVE curtains for my rented townhome. Any ideas where i may buy some? I have tried MBK already but they were more expensive than i am willing to spend.

Thanks.

Yes, MBK is a total ripoff for curtains. Go where the Thai's go, Big C. Premade curtains of various sizes and types, under 1000 baht per window (yes, that's per window, not per square foot of material like MBK).

where in town do you live? if you're anywhere near Muang Thong Thani, there is woman who works out of her home. 1000B, including liner, per 10' window.

We purchased materials from the Pahurat (Indian) textile market. We needed 34 meters (big house) and paid like 160B/meter after that we searched for a tailorshop where they made the material into curtian.

Pahurat Textile Market

How to Get There: Take the subway to MRT Hualompong station. From there, bus number 40 passes through Pahurat and Chinatown. Several taxis and tuk-tuk's are also available for hire (35-40 baht).

What to Buy: At Sampeng Lane, wholesale goods such as rubber items (flip-flops, baskets, etc) and herbs; at Pahurat, textiles, Indian foods and gifts.

Hours: Around 09:00 - 18:00 weekdays (hours vary weekends)

An option to get to Pahurat, though a bit exhausting, is to walk south along Sampeng Lane from Chinatown down to Chakraphet Rd and Pahurat. Several sub-soi's and shopping blocks can be explored this way, not to mention Sampeng Lane's deals on wholesale items. Wholesale goods such as flip-flops, toys, household items, and herbs can be bought here. An added feature to the area are circus-like acts of balancing and maneuvering performed by men transporting an astonishing amount of wholesale goods (sacks, boxes, etc) with small dolley's while weaving in and out of traffic - an interesting feat. Also while in the area, don't forget to visit the covered market lane between Ratchawong and Mahachak Roads.

Once crossing Chakraphek Rd and entering Pahurat, stores selling formal dresses, gowns, and even (royal-like) crowns glitter and sparkle for young ladies aspiring to become hi-so princesses. Crowns aside, within these first few blocks lay Pahurat's textile selling action, so choose one of the many small alleyways and dive in to the heart of it all. Within you'll find a labrynth of shops and vendors selling all kinds of colourful textiles - enough to cause a mild panic attack to those caught unprepared or already fatigued.

Making your way through one of these alleys and towards the other side of the block, shops selling posters of Hindu Gods alongside various Indian paraphernalia slowly begin to appear. A few cafes filled with Indian men chatting away, not to mention mouth-watering smells of Indian cuisine, confirm you're in 'Little India'. On the other side of the block more gastronomical delights await as cafes and a few food hawkers along Soi ATM provide delicious north Indian cuisine.

From http://www.bangkok.com/shopping/market-who...le-markets.html

We purchased materials from the Pahurat (Indian) textile market. We needed 34 meters (big house) and paid like 160B/meter after that we searched for a tailorshop where they made the material into curtian.

Pahurat Textile Market

How to Get There: Take the subway to MRT Hualompong station. From there, bus number 40 passes through Pahurat and Chinatown. Several taxis and tuk-tuk's are also available for hire (35-40 baht).

What to Buy: At Sampeng Lane, wholesale goods such as rubber items (flip-flops, baskets, etc) and herbs; at Pahurat, textiles, Indian foods and gifts.

Hours: Around 09:00 - 18:00 weekdays (hours vary weekends)

An option to get to Pahurat, though a bit exhausting, is to walk south along Sampeng Lane from Chinatown down to Chakraphet Rd and Pahurat. Several sub-soi's and shopping blocks can be explored this way, not to mention Sampeng Lane's deals on wholesale items. Wholesale goods such as flip-flops, toys, household items, and herbs can be bought here. An added feature to the area are circus-like acts of balancing and maneuvering performed by men transporting an astonishing amount of wholesale goods (sacks, boxes, etc) with small dolley's while weaving in and out of traffic - an interesting feat. Also while in the area, don't forget to visit the covered market lane between Ratchawong and Mahachak Roads.

Once crossing Chakraphek Rd and entering Pahurat, stores selling formal dresses, gowns, and even (royal-like) crowns glitter and sparkle for young ladies aspiring to become hi-so princesses. Crowns aside, within these first few blocks lay Pahurat's textile selling action, so choose one of the many small alleyways and dive in to the heart of it all. Within you'll find a labrynth of shops and vendors selling all kinds of colourful textiles - enough to cause a mild panic attack to those caught unprepared or already fatigued.

Making your way through one of these alleys and towards the other side of the block, shops selling posters of Hindu Gods alongside various Indian paraphernalia slowly begin to appear. A few cafes filled with Indian men chatting away, not to mention mouth-watering smells of Indian cuisine, confirm you're in 'Little India'. On the other side of the block more gastronomical delights await as cafes and a few food hawkers along Soi ATM provide delicious north Indian cuisine.

From http://www.bangkok.com/shopping/market-who...le-markets.html

I live in Sukhumvit currently but am moving to On Nut (hence the need for curtains).

How much did the tailor charge for making them Zoltannyc?

For 1000 baht per fitted curtain i would be prepared to travel to the lady's home. Do you think you could PM me her number?

Thanks everyone for your help.