connecting a tablet to a PC

piston broke

i've bought a (copy) Galaxy Tab from Tukcom and am having trouble connecting it to my PC, to download music / e books...

when i connect the tablet, the PC doesn't recognise it....

a couple of times a message has come up at the bottom of the screen as if the pc it trying to sync up with the tablet, but to no avail...

so, to all you teccies out there - Can you tell me what i need to do to make the PC recognise the tablet ??

thanks in advance

You'll need a known, good, not too long USB cable.

You have Windows? 7? This is an Android tablet? Which rev.?

You'll need USB drivers for Windows. These may be specific to your tablet. If you can't find USB drivers, and Windows won't download and install them automagically then maybe return to the shop and ask them for the drivers.

Alternatively, assuming you have WiFi at home you could mess around AirDroid, although it is painfully slow.

Edited by lomatopo

You'll need USB drivers for Windows. These may be specific to your tablet. If you can't find USB drivers, and Windows won't download and install them automagically then maybe return to the shop and ask them for the drivers.

Alternatively, assuming you have WiFi at home you could mess around AirDroid, although it is painfully slow.

usb cable is 12" - works ok downloading camera photos into pc

Windows XP professional, i think)....yes its an android - copy of Samsung Galaxy tab......not sure what you mean by rev ?

don't have wi fi - have ADSL connected to the pc.

So you have a no-name tablet and no Windows drivers for it, and you're wondering why it won't connect to Windows?

Try plugging it in with the USB, giving it a minute or two, then look in Device Manager and see if Windows can actually see it.

Then run one of the crowd-sourced driver apps like IOBit Driver Booster or SlimDrivers and see if they can find one.

So you have a no-name tablet and no Windows drivers for it, and you're wondering why it won't connect to Windows?

u always this helpful ?

not sure if u realize that the poster u're slagging off offered u very helpful advice?

responses like urs do not exactly encourage others to try and help u.

• Like 2

u always this helpful ?

not sure if u realize that the poster u're slagging off offered u very helpful advice?

responses like urs do not exactly encourage others to try and help u.

stirring it up ?

WiFi File Transfer (free at Google Play) is very good for file transfers. Works like AirDroid but much faster. Play will find your tablet and install, then follow directions to open in browser on your computer. If you want to transfer folders (not just individual files) or large files then need to upgrade to the Pro version (costs US$1.20, about 42 baht).

As you don't have a wifi router have you tried using bluetooth with your computer,otherwise buy a cheap router you will have wifi for your tablet and can use samsung link, air droid, kies or somthing recommended above.

Don't assume the USB cable that works for your camera will work for the tablet. It is possible they are pinned differently. My USB cable that works for my Motorola tablet does not work for my Samsung Phone. You need to use the USB cable that came with the tablet. If you didn't get one, go back to the store and tell them you need it. Most tablets come with a USB cable. When you have a connection, if using Win 7 or Win 8, the driver should automatically download. If not, then go to manufacturers website, find your tablet, then download the Windows driver.

The OP says he does not have WiFi, so Airdroid will not work for him. The USB connection is the best option. Bluetooth will not work for transferring files.

For more help, go to http://www.androidtabletpcsupport.com

Edited by JimMagee

Questions.. What version of windows are you using ?

Suggestions. The android tablets have many different ways of copying files. When you connect to a pc the phones have options to

Connect as a camera, a media device, or a hard drive.

I honestly think if your not too used to android the easiest way to solve the problem will be to use a sd card. You can just plug thesd card into your computer and copy your music and books onto it. (Assuming your tablet has a memory card slot)

> Don't assume the USB cable that works for your camera will work for the tablet. It is possible they are pinned differently.

Yes. Believe it or not, there are different types of USB leads.

A Charger lead has a different pin-out to a normal USB lead.

Some tablets will connect to a Windows PC via USB no problem; others will with a simple trick or two; others simply won't (not without a lot of schlepping anyway...). If yours is one of the ones that won't, you can always just use a memory card to transfer files from one to the other. I have an ASUS TF700T - that's what I do. (If your tablet doesn't have a specific slot for the SD card, try a USB memory cardreader.)

Edited by hawker9000

Go into "settings", scroll down, go into "developpers options", then check "USB debugging".

Then, when you connect your tablet to any computer, it will be seen as a MTP device like any memory card (the tablet should ask you for a connection permission first).

At least this worked for me on several tablets / android phones.

Go into "settings", scroll down, go into "developpers options", then check "USB debugging".

Then, when you connect your tablet to any computer, it will be seen as a MTP device like any memory card (the tablet should ask you for a connection permission first).

At least this worked for me on several tablets / android phones.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT YOU MUST DO.

I have nearly the same configuration: XP with NoName-Tablet and Android Version 4.0.3

I have a Samsung Android phone that absolutely refused to connect to my Sony laptop ( worked great with any other laptop) So i contacted Sony and they said that sometimes the front USB connectors output a slightly less current so i should always try to connect to the USB sockets on the back of the machine. That solved the problem.

P.S the manufactureres website of your device should have the drivers you require available for download.

" ...and install them automagically ..."

Being tech-challenged myself, I'm happy to see confirmed what I always believe to be the case. It does involve magic.

The OP is talking about a tablet computer, not a phone, running Android version 4.0.4. It is not a Genuine Galaxy tablet, but what he calls a copy. Therefore, even if I had a genuine Galaxy and knew how to connect it to a PC, it might work differently on his copy.

Go to this web page and see if it helps you, particularly the section "How to configure the USB connection on your Android tablet:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-connect-your-android-tablet-to-a-computer-t.html

On my Nexus 7, running on Android 4.3, the procedure is as follows:

• tap on the Settings icon
  • tap on Storage
  • tap on the menu icon
  • tap on USB computer connection
  • if not already selected, tap on "Media device (MTP") to select it.

Your tablet should now show up in Windows Explorer on your PC as a portable device or like an external drive. If it does not, your USB cable is good only for charging and not for data transfer, or your copy of Galaxy does not support data transfer.

post-21260-0-80459300-1376740893_thumb.p

I honestly think if your not too used to android the easiest way to solve the problem will be to use a sd card. You can just plug thesd card into your computer and copy your music and books onto it. (Assuming your tablet has a memory card slot)

Spoonzie....sound advise....

i bunged the sd card into my pc and loaded up some e books/mags and music....then put the sd card into my tablet (its got an sd slot)..

and EUREKA !!

Can now view the books / mags on the tablet, as well as listen to music..

a happy ending to a few days of frustration.......

thanks for taking the time and trouble to post - really appreciate it..

The OP is talking about a tablet computer, not a phone, running Android version 4.0.4. It is not a Genuine Galaxy tablet, but what he calls a copy. Therefore, even if I had a genuine Galaxy and knew how to connect it to a PC, it might work differently on his copy.

Given that MyPhoneExplorer is completely free, works well, requires no cable, does everything the OP wants (and much more) and is absurdly easy to install and use, it seems sensible to try it first before fooling around with these other more complicated suggestions. It should take all of two minutes to test.

If MPE doesnt work for him then that would be the time to try something else, I think.

But I suppose some people just like to do things the hard way.

don't have wi fi - have ADSL connected to the pc.

Have the "myphoneexplorer and airdroid guys" read this? whistling.gif

All other wireless "solutions" won't work too.

a couple of times a message has come up at the bottom of the screen as if the pc it trying to sync up with the tablet

I guess Winxp tried to install the proper drivers, but doesn't find them.

Look in the XP device-manager for unknown devices.

PS: USB-debugging is absolutely not necessary to transfer files, IF the tablet/phone is detected as a mass-storage or MTP device!

But it CAN be used to transfer files, assuming the correct ADB drivers are installed.

Edited by Turkleton