Anti-cheating helmets were student idea, says professor

webfact

Natdanai Rungruangkitkrai, the course lecturer, said he seriously regretted that the issue had received such a strong negative response. He added that he had intended to teach the students about ethics and as part of the lesson he had asked them to think creatively about how to prevent cheating.

Well if the lesson is to promote ethics, why do you need a device to prevent cheating? Why do you need to be creative to prevent cheating? The idea is that you don't need any device, you use 'ethics' and simply do not cheat..........wallah! There it's not that difficult is it Professor?

I wish I were as clever as you.

By the way I don't know what 'wallah' means.

I think you mean 'voila'.

N'est ce pas, Jimbo?

Well if you don't know what Wallah means then I guess you will never be as clever as me.

Forum Rules: English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed

Mercy Bucket DeeCee10 wink.png

Edited by GentlemanJim

Natdanai Rungruangkitkrai, the course lecturer, said he seriously regretted that the issue had received such a strong negative response. He added that he had intended to teach the students about ethics and as part of the lesson he had asked them to think creatively about how to prevent cheating.

Well if the lesson is to promote ethics, why do you need a device to prevent cheating? Why do you need to be creative to prevent cheating? The idea is that you don't need any device, you use 'ethics' and simply do not cheat..........wallah! There it's not that difficult is it Professor?

Have you never been shown a physical example to reinforce an idea? How about the Prof thought that it was a good idea to get a bit of fun into the classroom with a simple request to illustrate the "ethics" of cheating. There, it's not that difficult is it?

Asst Prof Tanaboon Sajjaanantakul, the faculty’s dean, said the device was used for a mid-term examination for a textile testing course.

Tanaboon insisted that there was no cheating problem during examinations and the students were not forced to wear the hats.

“The students were excited and having fun. No one refused to make a hat.

Well, if you are aged 11 OK. As these people are all adults, I would simply be inclined to say "This is one of the premier Universities in Thailand. Cheating is unacceptable, if you are unable to comprehend that find another University, If you are caught cheating you will have to find another University. Fun during learning...yes, fun during exams.......... which is not learning, and may well completely disadvantage and distract nervous or anxious candidates....no......wrong place, wrong time. There, it's not that difficult is it?

Have you never been shown a physical example to reinforce an idea? How about the Prof thought that it was a good idea to get a bit of fun into the classroom with a simple request to illustrate the "ethics" of cheating. There, it's not that difficult is it?

Asst Prof Tanaboon Sajjaanantakul, the faculty’s dean, said the device was used for a mid-term examination for a textile testing course.

Tanaboon insisted that there was no cheating problem during examinations and the students were not forced to wear the hats.

Well, if you are aged 11 OK. As these people are all adults, I would simply be inclined to say "This is one of the premier Universities in Thailand. Cheating is unacceptable, if you are unable to comprehend that find another University, If you are caught cheating you will have to find another University. Fun during learning...yes, fun during exams.......... which is not learning, and may well completely disadvantage and distract nervous or anxious candidates....no......wrong place, wrong time. There, it's not that difficult is it?

I suspect you cannot remember being young. This is for a mid term textile testing exam. They weren't suspected of cheating and had to wear the hats so they could not cheat. There is no suggestion about the students losing their place at this prestigious agriculture and 13 other specialties university for cheating.

The hat was a fun solution invented in a lesson to illustrate the ethics of cheating. Somebody took a photo - it appeared on facebook or instagram etc and the ever so respectable newsource, "Coconuts" (who are never short of the stories that matter) took it from there and now it's here and then a whole load of whining people took it too seriously and 4 pages of miserable moaning posts followed.

I suspect you cannot remember being young. This is for a mid term textile testing exam. They weren't suspected of cheating and had to wear the hats so they could not cheat. There is no suggestion about the students losing their place at this prestigious agriculture and 13 other specialties university for cheating.

The hat was a fun solution invented in a lesson to illustrate the ethics of cheating. Somebody took a photo - it appeared on facebook or instagram etc and the ever so respectable newsource, "Coconuts" (who are never short of the stories that matter) took it from there and now it's here and then a whole load of whining people took it too seriously and 4 pages of miserable moaning posts followed.

rolleyes.gif

I remember being young, I also remember being an adult. At 19 I was flying fast jet aircraft, I was not a child, you are advocating that at 19 these adults require the use of paper hats to reinforce a no-cheating rule by making it fun whistling.gif At age 11 it would be appropriate, at 19-20 it is not. If you want people to be responsible then give them responsibility. If you want people to behave as adults then treat them as adults. If you treat people like children, they will behave like children. Transactional analysis rule number 1 ! So lets agree to disagree on how to treat young adults.

If the professor had one ounce of intelligence (but he has been manufactured by the same immature system), then when asking 'How do we stop people cheating', when the first student says 'we should all wear stupid paper hats', he should have facilitated a better response by asking 'why', and 'what alternative methods to that are there', eventually someone with a brain the size of Jupiter would say 'well...........eeerrrrr..... we simply exercise self discipline and integrity and do not cheat'. Which young adult would you like to employ in your work place? When you have an annual promotion exam would you like a 24 yr old walking in with a paper hat on their heads or one that exudes self confidence, self discipline and integrity? If you need a paper hat on your head to concentrate your employment opportunities should be severely restricted.

Please explain HOW wearing the hat 'illustrates the ethics of cheating' - your words

Edited by GentlemanJim

The general idea is that people simply cannot be trusted and must be watched at all times. If they cheat, it is not their fault, it is the fault of the school, the teacher or the exam monitor.

There are no bad students; only bad teachers. I've been told that many times by Thai Administrators.

The only answer is . TIT

• 4 weeks later...

I taught in a private university for over 15 years and the students did not consider it cheating but helping their friends. Helping their friends was more important than the concept of cheating.

In the BBA, the course in one faculty had two separate exams for the same subject in the same room. The coordinator just graded each set of exams separately which were actually the same exams but in a different order. Having the separate exams makes the test writing a chore rather than cutting down on cheating.

I even had a software program bought by the university that could analyze multiple-choice answers for all the students taking an exam in the same subject and it would identify questionable papers with the same answers overall but the powers above wanted to nail any cheaters identified by the program even if the students were in different rooms or different campuses. The program was really only to be used to back up any claims of students physically caught cheating but some tried to use it for everyone. Plus, one set of students were caught physically cheating with the software program supporting the claim and the students were exonerated because the students claimed they were not cheating. Students would never lie to their teachers so the cheating committee claimed. Ho, ho, ho. and now we have the tooth fairy running the show.

In fifteen years one would think you might have thought to position yourself to the rear of the room to monitor the test sessions and use a camera in the front of the room to document the cheaters. Of course mid-term and final exams are usually administered by proxies.

This is why going forward you may wish to consider final projects in lieu of exams.

Projects were not much better. They would copy projects from another class by a different teacher. As far as positioning ourselves in the rear of the room, try that with 45 students taking the exam in a 90 student room. Not easy. We had several rooms that could hold 280 students but only 160 students were seated. We had five teachers in that room monitoring the students and some still cheated and got away with it. We found the students were very clever. I even proposed ordering phone jamming equipment but the management did not want anyone to find out we had cheaters in the university. I had ordered codes to use for a business online game where the students would run a company to develop a product, advertise it, market it, produce it and sell it. A lot of them took their login info to a tutor school off-campus and let the tutor school do the program. There is no honor among a lot of the students.

• 1 month later...

Why so many against this idea?! You keep analyzing and arguing and talking all kind of psycho-analysis non-sense like "treat them like adults, don't make them wear stupid hats" etc.

Why not putting yourself in their shoes?! This is a test, remember.

Let's see now: You have an exam, you know nothing and you'll probably fail if you don't cheat. Isn't it true that now you don't give a s%^t about ethics or about what the teachers said? You WILL cheap, if possible, to pass and you MUST get your degree. Am I right?

And if this method has been successful and more, it also comes from the students, how come that it is a bad idea? Really now, some of you guys sound like you agree with the current teaching system, a failure from my part, where everyone passes and the grades are inflated anyway... and it is the same with this school, I'm almost sure.

But at least, for an hour or two, these students thought that they must think for themselves otherwise they will fail, and probably they did and they didn't cheat - is't this a good thing?

And stop talking about ethics, please. If the BTS door will open first and then ask me to introduce the coin, I won't do it and 99% of the people won't. We'll just travel without paying the fee ;)