My Planned estimated monthly budget for Thailand

kscott

OK, a bit of background info. I'm 34 years old and moving to Chiang Mai initially. I have ample savings but ideally i want to be self sufficient over there and have put together this budget. Wherever i live i will get a condo that is centrally located, I eat very healthily ie eggs, veg, chicken, fish and fruit but i like a good drink every other night during the week and have a real blow out on a weekend. I have placed minimum earnings on my income and what i think will be maximum on my outgoings. I have put together this budget, take a look, any comments much appreciated.

MONTHLY BUDGET FOR THAILAND

INCOME:

WRITING WORK - £30 A DAY MINIMUM

TOTAL INCOME = £900

OUTGOINGS:

APARTMENT FOR RENT INCLUDING ELEC/WATER/INTERNET - £240

FOOD & WATER - £4 A DAY MAXIMUM

TRANSPORT - £1 A DAY MAXIMUM

TOTAL OUTGOINGS = £390

THAT LEAVES £510 A MONTH FOR LEISURE

MIDWEEK CAN SPEND:

£4 HALF A BOTTLE OF BLEND285

£1 SODA WATER

£2 POOL OR FOOTBALL

£2 OTHER DRINK

TOTAL (£9 x 22) = APPROX £49.50 A WEEK, £198 A MONTH

WEEKEND CAN SPEND:

£8 FULL BOTTLE OF BLEND285

£2 SODA WATER

£2 POOL

TOTAL (£12 x 8) = APPROX £24 A WEEK, £96 A MONTH

MONTHLY LEISURE COST = £294

***THAT LEAVES ME £206 FOR OTHER THINGS I MIGHT NEED***

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers, I'm sure i will be ok, in all likelihood i will earn much more than the £900 a month but when making a budget its best to be very tight and plan for the worst case scenario. the only other expense is a visa run every 60 days or is it 90 days, still not applied for my visa here in UK. I will pay for the visa run out of my savings, thats no problem, i just dont want to start spending loads of money each month out of my savings. I also like drinking in the bars but very rarely bar fine a girl, i prefer to go to the clubs to meet non-working girls. Although never say never!! whistling.gif

Thanks again for the input.

where is Visa's/health insurance calculated ?

EDT.....Beaten by ChittyChitty.

on the subject of visa's.....mentioned by the OP I see but which border..air or land is the plan ?

It could come out of the

" ***THAT LEAVES ME £206 FOR OTHER THINGS I MIGHT NEED***"

That the OP closed his post with....

where is Visa's/health insurance calculated ?

EDT.....Beaten by ChittyChitty.

on the subject of visa's.....mentioned by the OP I see but which border..air or land is the plan ?

It could come out of the

" ***THAT LEAVES ME £206 FOR OTHER THINGS I MIGHT NEED***"

That the OP closed his post with....

Will pay for this from savings, the £206 minimum leftover will be used for clubbing, excursions, cinema, dating stuff like this.

Edited by kscott

IMO your transport budget of 48 Baht is way off the mark. Chiang Mai and the neighbouring provinces are very scenic. They demand to be explored. You will surely want to travel around a bit in the beginning. Why come all the way here to spend the whole day in a condo?

• Like 2

I think you'll find it really tight for a young man. A retired man who didn't drink or hit the bars could take your 300 pounds for entertainment and spend the first 60 renting a scooter and buying gas. I have a way to keep my US health insurance in effect, but I have to get to US soil to use it. That means that if I have a serious problem including an accident that needs care in Thailand it's out of pocket.

Then that retired man would have 240 quid + your 206 for "other things" left for "other things." That's 446 quid left, or more than 20,000 baht. That would handle visas, the occasional date, and so on. It would still be tight because there's always something like clothes, laundry, you name it.

I also don't think you'll eat well on 4 quid per day unless you like street food and cheap restaurants, which is fine for those who do, 24/7.

• Like 1

Cheers for the info, i think maybe some of you have missed the point. The budget was based on worst case scenario. In the UK now i'm making £75 a day and have been told that the work will remain available for the next few years. Even if it doesn't there are other clients out there. What i was essentially asking was, is the budget set out realistic? Obviously a lot of you think i might struggle on that which is fine, thats good to know and i will adjust the budget accordingly. Like mentioned, I have ample savings but i wouldnt want to dip into them if necessary as every 60 days i'll be flying to Phils for a week or two of very hard partying.

When i'm in Chiang Mai I will be concentrating on work and having a good blow out at the weekend, Thats enough for me as i'll be looking forward to a fortnight in Phils every couple of months.

Again, thanks for the input, i'm happy that 44,000 baht seems to be realistic if a bit tight, it assures me that what i will probably earn will be ample.

Cheers

And for the girl of my dreams? well, there'll be a bit left in the pot for any of that carry on. I've still got a minimum of £206 left for anything like that.

£51.50 a week to woo the Lucky girl of your dreams.

Cheap Charliecheesy.gif

CCC

No, no, no i'm lor mak, they will need to pay ME!!

Seriously though, i have no intention whatsoever of having a steady girl out there so i'll never need to "woo" anyone. If i can't pick up any girls from the clubs then i'll be indulging in a few happy massages. I'm sure i'll have a few non-working girls on the books after a few weeks.

And for the girl of my dreams? well, there'll be a bit left in the pot for any of that carry on. I've still got a minimum of £206 left for anything like that.

Cheap Charliecheesy.gif

CCC

Not everyone has to buy women.

Absolutely correct. Its easy enough to get some hot thai girls without paying for it. Thats why i mentioned that i rarely barfine and prefer to hit the clubs.

• Like 1

"Health insurance will be fully payed up in UK before i go."

And you write for a living?

Apologies, i was under the impression that i was writing on a message board, not submitting a piece of writing for my employer. Get a life, man.

Pay no attention to the spelling and grammar police. There's always at least one on every board. I'm sure the person who corrected you never makes a mistake.

Additionally, for many on here, English isn't their first language and we wade through that just fine.

Cheers. thumbsup.gif

Ha ha, cheers, some people just like moaning!!!

Cheap Charliecheesy.gif

CCC

Not everyone has to buy women.

Call me old fashioned but the girl of your dreams is going to want to go out for dinner, the cinema, usual stuff and that cost's money.

Unless she really is the girl of the dreams who wants to spend every spare minute in her wonderfully stimulating boyfriends arms.

Or is the girl of your dreams a 10-2er? No drink and a quick bunk up from the local club.

CCC

Edited by Chittychangchang

Cheers for the info, i think maybe some of you have missed the point. The budget was based on worst case scenario. In the UK now i'm making £75 a day and have been told that the work will remain available for the next few years. Even if it doesn't there are other clients out there. What i was essentially asking was, is the budget set out realistic? Obviously a lot of you think i might struggle on that which is fine, thats good to know and i will adjust the budget accordingly. Like mentioned, I have ample savings but i wouldnt want to dip into them if necessary as every 60 days i'll be flying to Phils for a week or two of very hard partying.

When i'm in Chiang Mai I will be concentrating on work and having a good blow out at the weekend, Thats enough for me as i'll be looking forward to a fortnight in Phils every couple of months.

Again, thanks for the input, i'm happy that 44,000 baht seems to be realistic if a bit tight, it assures me that what i will probably earn will be ample.

Cheers

Have you been to the Phils? If so, fine. If not, you might find that accommodations in Thailand suit you better. To each his own as they say, and you'll decide.

Cheers

Have you been to the Phils? If so, fine. If not, you might find that accommodations in Thailand suit you better. To each his own as they say, and you'll decide.

Yeah, have been to Phils plenty of times. Wouldnt live there but my god its good for 2 weeks of fun. Done the islands like Boracay, Bohol and Palawan aswell as spending some time in cebu but i'll probably just thrash Angeles city as bkk do cheap, easy flights to clark. Usually stay in the ABC Hotel, the pool parties are top notch!!

• Like 1