Just Got My Lao Tourist Visa from Lao Embassy in BKK

Baloo22

Fookhart

You've been real lucky.

Even if there's been no line at all at Thannaleng, they've usually taken 15-20 minutes to return my passport with the visa and entry chop. And, if I've arrived just behind a busload of foreign pax who've hit the window before me, then It's taken 45 minutes to get through the process.

However, that's what I do, get the Visa On Arrival as it's a long drive for me down to the Lao Embassy in Bangkok, blows half a day, assuming that I wait at the Embassy for the visa and get it before lunch.

Mac

Well, according to you, then, I've been lucky at least 13 times, haven't I? Stretches the credulity, doesn't it?

I've been crossing at the Nong Khai - Vientiane portal, and I've always avoided peak traffic times. Perhaps that's the difference.

Still, a lot less trouble that our pioneering OP went through! rolleyes.gif

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 2

cant see any reason to spend 1/2 day applying, waiting for a visa, spending additional money for taxis when u can fly in or drive in and get one at the border,

same applies for Cambodia, Indonesia, Nepal.( cant drvie in )

In 35 years I have applied for visas ONLY when they do not offer them on arrival.

• Like 2

Your post has the air of David Livingstone who has just transversed Africa as the first white man to accomplish such. So glad you made it alive, and have courageously blazed the trail for all the rest of us ignoramuses. Unbelievable: Going to the wrong address, eventually finding the right place. Three hour wait. Plus 200B for express service and cost of lunch.

Frankly, much ado about nothing.

Why don't you just get it at the border as you cross into Laos? Less cost (no "express service" needed--everyone gets it immediately), and takes only 5-10 minutes. At least that's what I did the last 13 times to Laos. Is it possible you're from a country at war with the LPDR? Maybe that accounts for your convoluted process? xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.s-RG4kPbeM.webp alt=blink.png width=20 height=20>

Well, according to you, then, I've been lucky at least 13 times, haven't I? Stretches the credulity, doesn't it?

I've been crossing at the Nong Khai - Vientiane portal, and I've always avoided peak traffic times. Perhaps that's the difference.

Still, a lot less trouble that our pioneering OP went through! rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

Perhaps I wrote this OP for others that may be interested in obtaining a Lao visa while they are in Bangkok. Perhaps they may be new to Bangkok and will find some of this info useful. Perhaps they will find the information in the links to be of some use. (I'll leave it to you to try and figure out for yourself what links are.) Perhaps they are not such all-knowing experts on everything as yourself. But of course,I'm positive that you will never learn anything from anybody. So breeze right on by and continue being such a legend in your own mind! rolleyes.gif

Perhaps you're complicating things needlessly for inexperienced travelers. Perhaps they should just cross the bloody border! wink.png

• Like 2

As I live in Bangkok I usually get my visa for Laos exactly as described by the OP. If you take the International Bus to Vientiene from Udon Thani you have to have a Laos visa in advance.

But your bus still stops and waits for everyone else on the bus to get their visa-on-arrival. I don't see what the savings is in time or money.

Yep, I'm with the visa on arrival method. Not only is it cheaper by 500 baht, it's a lot easier too. Can't see the point of spending half a day traipsing around Bangkok, spending more money and time on public transport to get something you can get on the way! Bizarre to say the least.

• Like 2

As I live in Bangkok I usually get my visa for Laos exactly as described by the OP. If you take the International Bus to Vientiene from Udon Thani you have to have a Laos visa in advance.

But your bus still stops and waits for everyone else on the bus to get their visa-on-arrival. I don't see what the savings is in time or money.

The "international" bus from Udon doesn't. It's clearly stipulated that a Laos visa must be held prior to boarding the bus in Udon.

So spend half a day in BKK to get a visa to save stopping at the border? I still think you're better off to get a bus to Nong Khai, spend 10 min. getting your visa-on-arrival, and take a tuk tuk or taxi into Vientiane. Each to his own.

• Like 2

The "international" bus from Udon doesn't. It's clearly stipulated that a Laos visa must be held prior to boarding the bus in Udon.

So spend half a day in BKK to get a visa to save stopping at the border? I still think you're better off to get a bus to Nong Khai, spend 10 min. getting your visa-on-arrival, and take a tuk tuk or taxi into Vientiane. Each to his own.

Exactly. Each to their own. I prefer the direct bus without the hassle of the visa stop and as I live in Bangkok, visiting the Consulate is not really a hassle. But I can see why it might be for some people.

Right, flying into LP I once had to stand in line 30 minutes for VOA, but that's because the dude who had to sign off was at lunch. Other times over the bridge, never waited more than 10 minutes. Dare I add while in country you can extend your visa three times (if I recall correctly) with about zero hassle, cost two US bucks a day, last I checked. [but lunch sounds nice.]

Love to waste time and money ? Visa costs $30 at border and is instant.

:-)

Unless you're on the bus which doesn't stop at the border for issuing visas and stipulates a visa for Laos must be held in advance.

Even if you are in a bus and reach the border (so many burn or just die on the way) it will cost 200 Thb to go from the border to your hotel with a van from the border...

You paid your visa 500 Thb more than it would cost at the border and wasted a full day to avoid paying 200 thb at the border to go to Vientiane ? I don't see the logic ?

But yes, people are different, I'm just not surprised when I read the news anymore, most of the victims have been looking for troubles it seems :-)

Edited by bangkokstick
  • Like 1

Love to waste time and money ? Visa costs $30 at border and is instant.

:-)

Unless you're on the bus which doesn't stop at the border for issuing visas and stipulates a visa for Laos must be held in advance.

Even if you are in a bus and reach the border (so many burn or just die on the way) it will cost 200 Thb to go from the border to your hotel with a van from the border...

You paid your visa 500 Thb more than it would cost at the border and wasted a full day to avoid paying 200 thb at the border to go to Vientiane ? I don't see the logic ?

But yes, people are different, I'm just not surprised when I read the news anymore, most of the victims have been looking for troubles it seems :-)

The International bus service from Udon is convenient and quick as it avoids the border delay and heads straight into Vientiene. I can get the express visa in Bangkok within a few hours and as I don't live far away from the Consulate it's not trouble.

• Like 1

Your post has the air of David Livingstone who has just transversed Africa as the first white man to accomplish such. So glad you made it alive, and have courageously blazed the trail for all the rest of us ignoramuses. Unbelievable: Going to the wrong address, eventually finding the right place. Three hour wait. Plus 200B for express service and cost of lunch.

Why don't you just get it at the border as you cross into Laos? Less cost (no "express service" needed--everyone gets it immediately), and takes only 5-10 minutes. At least that's what I did the last 13 times to Laos. Is it possible you're from a country at war with the LPDR? Maybe that accounts for your convoluted process? blink.png

I am so sorry to be one of the many on here to trample on the good intentions of someone who truly believes they are helping the rest of us, however this Ive done many times, less charge, less time, right at the Friendship bridge crossing. Just beware like in any other country of the waiting sharks (taxis) on the Laos side to take you into downtown Vientiane, linger around, look and act like you know what you are doing, keep your ears open for the going rates or even join another person/s going into town. Fee is about the same although cheaper by using USA currency that THB.

Perhaps you should have consulted a forum here first before doing it the hard way. The brighter side is that it slingshot you right into the heart of Thai culture in sois you would have never gone to before.

Why don't you just get it at the border as you cross into Laos? Less cost (no "express service" needed--everyone gets it immediately), and takes only 5-10 minutes. At least that's what I did the last 13 times to Laos. Is it possible you're from a country at war with the LPDR? Maybe that accounts for your convoluted process? blink.png

This kind of post is absolutely unnecessary. If you had posted how you do it without the snide remarks your comment would be well received.

Snide? Wow, someone needs a thicker skin to survive and, indeed, thrive on TV. rolleyes.gif

Why don't you just get it at the border as you cross into Laos? Less cost (no "express service" needed--everyone gets it immediately), and takes only 5-10 minutes. At least that's what I did the last 13 times to Laos. Is it possible you're from a country at war with the LPDR? Maybe that accounts for your convoluted process? xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.s-RG4kPbeM.webp alt=blink.png width=20 height=20>

Still, a lot less trouble that our pioneering OP went through! rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

Perhaps I wrote this OP for others that may be interested in obtaining a Lao visa while they are in Bangkok. Perhaps they may be new to Bangkok and will find some of this info useful. Perhaps they will find the information in the links to be of some use. (I'll leave it to you to try and figure out for yourself what links are.) Perhaps they are not such all-knowing experts on everything as yourself. But of course,I'm positive that you will never learn anything from anybody. So breeze right on by and continue being such a legend in your own mind! rolleyes.gif

I will put this out for informational purposes. There is absolutely no need for any reason to get a visa ahead of time for Laos if you cross it any major border. Even if the wait at the border is the outlandish 45 minutes somebody mentioned it is still less time than the taxi took to the embassy in BKK.

• Like 2

Okay fair enough. If you did your visa in advance and went to let's say Chong mek. You would be whisked straight through the line at immigration, a veritable VIP. After that you would wait on the same plastic benches as everybody else waiting to get on the exact same bus.

• Like 1

Perhaps I wrote this OP for others that may be interested in obtaining a Lao visa while they are in Bangkok. Perhaps they may be new to Bangkok and will find some of this info useful. Perhaps they will find the information in the links to be of some use. (I'll leave it to you to try and figure out for yourself what links are.) Perhaps they are not such all-knowing experts on everything as yourself. But of course,I'm positive that you will never learn anything from anybody. So breeze right on by and continue being such a legend in your own mind! rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

Who want to waste time in Bangkok to make Laos visa when it's faster and cost only 30 or 35 US$, (depend on your nationality) on the border?

I have done it for the last 10 years and never had any issues at the Vientiane border, it usually takes 15-30 minutes.

Don't see any reason to make visa at the Laos Embassy in Bangkok what so ever, just my opinion. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Some of you guys are just miserable, know all a--holes. Some people that read TV are not so well versed in all facets of thainess and life. That information may have helped some one and was passed on with good intenetions. Didnt your mothers ever tell you that " If you have nothing decent to say then don't say nothing at all". Mind you if some of you lived by that rule you could never post on TV due to your totally negative attitude to everything. Have a great day if you can see it through your miserable thoughts.

• Like 1

Some of you guys are just miserable, know all a--holes. Some people that read TV are not so well versed in all facets of thainess and life. That information may have helped some one and was passed on with good intenetions. Didnt your mothers ever tell you that " If you have nothing decent to say then don't say nothing at all". Mind you if some of you lived by that rule you could never post on TV due to your totally negative attitude to everything. Have a great day if you can see it through your miserable thoughts.

A fine example of "Pot calling Kettle Black" .... If you have nothing decent to say then don't say nothing at all ..... wise words ...

I only wish I had listened to what my mother had said when I was growing up .... ( but obviously I can't tell you because I didn't bloody listen did I ) .... blink.png

i see it as not negativity but a waste of time to get a visa at the embassy which entails a waste of half ur day and added expense (taxis, skytrain whatever) when u can get it on arrival,

Same with getting a visa for Cambodia at the Embassy in Bangkok

So newbies read thus an think, "oh, i need get my visa at the embassy"

Now, if this was about getting a Burmese visa that would be valid info

• Like 2