14-year-old Ukrainian tourist dies in Phuket

webfact

Young Ukrainian dies in Phuket
The Nation

PHUKET: -- A 14-year-old Ukrainian tourist suffocated to death in Phuket.

Local police said the boy, Ethan Williams, died on the way to Patong Hospital. There was no trace of physical assault, the police said.

Investigation found that the boy travelled to Phuket with his family. He chewed local snacks while shopping with his family and choked. While suffocation was initially suspected as the cause, the autopsy would be undertaken.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-19

A tragedy.

I suppose it is just possible that a Ukrainian is named "Ethan Williams". However, it is far more likely that The Nation has its signals crossed yet again, as is its wont.

Easy to do.blink.png

UK ... UKraine.

So many countries outside of Thailand ...

Anyway, very sad.

UPDATE:
Boy dies from reaction to cashew nuts in Phuket dinner

Ramon Bencharitiwong

PHUKET: -- A 14 year-old English boy, William Ethan, on holiday in Phuket, died last night from a severe allergic reaction, apparently to cashew nuts he ate during dinner in Patong.

After eating the nuts, William started to vomit and developed difficulty breathing. His parents rushed him to Patong Hospital at around 6pm.

Sirichai Silpa-archa MD, Director of Patong Hospital, explained to The Phuket News “The doctor treated him with epinephrine (adrenaline). However, it was too late.

“He could not breathe and had hypotension [very low blood pressure] and passed away soon afterwards.

“His medical history showed that he suffered from asthma, so his parents had regular asthma medication but they had none for anaphylaxis [severe allergic reaction].”

Pol Capt Patthapi Srichai of Kathu Police said, “We are waiting for the parents to come back to show their passports and identification for the child. We will then ask them if they have any questions regarding the case.”

Capt Patthapi added that if the parents decided that they wanted an autopsy to be performed, the body will need to be sent to the Police Hospital in Bangkok.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/boy-dies-from-reaction-to-cashew-nuts-in-phuket-dinner-41467.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-08-19

raw cashews are highly toxic, i wonder if what he ate were raw or not roasted properly.

RIP to the young boy... just shows you , you dont even have to be living dangerously to suddenly find the end is imminent.

PS

Raw cashews are not at all highly toxic....;The apple that they are the seed of ,is toxic for sure but the nut is steamed initially to remove any toxins, so the nuts you buy as ''raw' are not actually so ...smile.png

Found this..;

Every so often, a well-meaning Co-op customer will alert us to the information that raw cashews are toxic. While it is true that in their natural state, the cashew nut or kernel is encased in a shell that contains caustic oils, these oils are extracted from the shell and used industrially. Even “raw” cashews are processed to remove this oil, and so are safe to eat.

People who are allergic to cashews cannot eat them at all, cooked or not. Cooking does not affect allergens and does not render food safe for someone with a true allergy.

gr8fldanielle...Maybe you should get some facts, before posting..this one and your MSG post are quite inaccurate and missleading and can cause apprehension to others who may believe you...

Edited by andreandre

raw cashews are highly toxic, i wonder if what he ate were raw or not roasted properly.

Agreed, raw cashews are very toxic but Id be very surprised if thats what he had. Most 'raw' cashews you find in health stores (Or any other store for that matter) are normally steamed.

It is actually the shell around the cashew nut 'seed' that is the nasty part which can cause significant skin rashed and be highly toxic if ingested. It is very similar to poison ivy apparently.

But all that aside, not a very nice way to go.

Agreed, raw cashews are very toxic but Id be very surprised if thats what he had. Most 'raw' cashews you find in health stores (Or any other store for that matter) are normally steamed.

It is actually the shell around the cashew nut 'seed' that is the nasty part which can cause significant skin rashed and be highly toxic if ingested. It is very similar to poison ivy apparently.

But all that aside, not a very nice way to go.

Read posts #13 and #15...

British teen dies after severe allergic reaction to cashew nut in Phuket
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A 14-year-old British boy, on holiday with his family, went into shock and died after consuming a single cashew nut last night in Patong.

Ethan Williams was taken to Patong hospital, but died en route, Patong Hospital Director Dr Sirichai Silapa-acha said.

Doctors believe that Ethan died either from an acute allergic reaction to the cashew nut or bronchial spasms brought about by bronchostenosis, a sudden narrowing of the bronchial tubes.

At about 8:30pm last night, police were notified of the tragedy.

“We questioned the family, who explained they had come to enjoy a holiday in Phuket. They went to Karon Beach and then headed to Jungceylon in Patong for some shopping and dinner,” Patapee Srichai of the Patong Police said.

“The family explained that they had ordered some cashew nuts as a side-dish, and that Ethan had only eaten a single one before he went into shock,” Capt Patapee said.

The family declined to have an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death, Dr Sirichai said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/British-teen-dies-after-severe-allergic-reaction-to-cashew-nut-in-Phuket-22001.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-19

A medical question.

Is it possible to be allergic to cashews and not to peanuts?

I know about allergic shock, almost died from it myself at about the age of the boy in Phuket (bee sting).

I reckon it is more common in asthmatics.

In any case, please don't criticize the parents, I am sure they didn't know of this allergy.

A medical question.

Yes, the poor lad could have eaten peanuts all his life with no ill effects, as peanuts are a legume and not a nut.

My sincere condolences to the family, RIP young man.

A medical question.

I know about allergic shock, almost died from it myself at about the age of the boy in Phuket (bee sting).

I reckon it is more common in asthmatics.

In any case, please don't criticize the parents, I am sure they didn't know of this allergy.

I'm certainly not a medic, but was in catering business..and know the basics;

I would say , yes,it is possible for certain people to be allergic to cashews,and not too peanuts and vice-versa... as much as anyone can be allergic to many other foods, because with cashews it is the oil in the skin containing the nut that is toxic, whereas peanuts problem is mostly a toxin created by a mold that grows on peanuts if not stored correctly.

Two different toxins , one naturally occurring , the other by poor handling of the crop.[peanuts]

If this story is accurate, the deceased suffered an anaphylactic shock. It is common and kills quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphylaxis

The immedate first aid treatment is the use of an epipen - usually a jab to the thigh.

http://www.epipen.com/

Out of interest, does anyone know if you can buy epipens on Phuket?

I could only imagine what the parents are feeling. The loss of a young life in such a tragic way.

I just dont have words to explain how the parents must feel. This story has flared up with many inconsistencies, British or Ukraine, if he was asthmatic then the parents should have had his inhalers readily available.. regardless a young boy has died from eatin something and thats sad enough. sad.png

I just dont have words to explain how the parents must feel. This story has flared up with many inconsistencies, British or Ukraine, if he was asthmatic then the parents should have had his inhalers readily available.. regardless a young boy has died from eatin something and thats sad enough. sad.png

Inhalers don't help with an anaphylactic allergic SHOCK reaction. Different than an asthma attack. Yes, you need an Epipen (Epinephrine also known as adrenalin) injection or to get to a hospital in time. When this happened to me, it was first I knew of any shock capable allergy but there was time to make it to the hospital. Just lucky.

Many allergic people are also asthmatic and vice versa. Thus, the connection.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2