Learning Thai

Ormgard

Meaddish Sweetball, Groo

Gentlemen - My apologies for not having replied sooner to your post.

I had been unexpectedly delayed by family matters.

First. I have not studied Thai at the AUA. I have however had a close

and detailed look at the course structure, contents and recommended texts.

Their course structure is unnecessarily complex through the addition of many

extra symbols and their combinations which are not found in the standard 26 letter UK alphabet. These are then defined in terms of the UK alphabet. Thai words

and alphabet are then expressed interms of the UK alphabet + these extra symbols

and their combinations. There is a similar situation with the tone marks.

An unnecessary layer of complexity is thus added.

The late introduction of the Thai alphabet, reading and writing is a major disadvantage as a significant learning opportunity is missed.

Second. The Phayap foundation course together with James Higbie’s book

‘ Essential Thai ‘ provides, in my view, the student with an excellent grasp of both written and spoken Thai. Having learned to read and write simple Thai words

right from the start I found pronunciation and vocabulary rapidly improved.

g

‘ Essential Thai ‘ provides, in my view, the student with an excellent grasp of both written and spoken Thai. Having learned to read and write simple Thai words

Correction: Higbie's book is called Thai Reference Grammar. You may be thinking of Thai: An Essential Grammar by David Smyth. It is, in my opinion, superior to the Higbie -- fewer errors, more depth and better layout.

Correction: Higbie's book is called Thai Reference Grammar. You may be thinking of Thai: An Essential Grammar by David Smyth. It is, in my opinion, superior to the Higbie -- fewer errors, more depth and better layout. /END QUOTE/

REPLY:

The Higbie book I have, and greatly appreciate, is "Let's Speak Thai" (2004, includes a CD of Pronunciation and Basic Phrases).

Dr.G, do you mean to say that the Payap way of transcribing/pronouncing Thai and handling the tones is simpler and therefore better than the AUA method?

And how about - if you decide on the AUA course anyway (cheaper, school right in the center of CM) - if you try to learn the Thai alphabet on your own while taking the AUA course?

Another thing, AUA has a language laboratory, which Payap apparently doesn't.

Firstly, I have not attended either programme. I am however planning on joining the Payap programme after my moving to Chiang Mai (Octoberish). The latest entry (by Ormgard) to this thread somewhat confused me since it said that Payap "apparently" doesn't have a language lab. Quote from the Payap homepage: "Homework and language lab assignments are designed to encourage students to overcome their initial inhibitions about speaking Thai." Is this not correct, or are they using some kind of outside language lab? Could someone please clarify :o

Priceless

And how about - if you decide on the AUA course anyway (cheaper, school right in the center of CM) - if you try to learn the Thai alphabet on your own while taking the AUA course?

Last time I checked, even the beginning level AUA texts contained Thai script as well as IPA-influenced transcription, for all lessons. So provided you had some help from a teacher or a native speaker on the side, you could probably teach yourself the script and the tone system.

Of course if you opt for one-on-one lessons at AUA, you can request that the script be taught along with the spoken language.

Correction: Higbie's book is called Thai Reference Grammar. You may be thinking of Thai: An Essential Grammar by David Smyth. It is, in my opinion, superior to the Higbie -- fewer errors, more depth and better layout.

James Higbie's book ' Essebtiel Thai ' is usually available from the book shop

opposite the Mad Dog. as is ' An Essential Grammer '.

g

Ormgrad

' Dr.G, do you mean to say that the Payap way of transcribing/pronouncing Thai and handling the tones is simpler and therefore better than the AUA method?

Another thing, AUA has a language laboratory, which Payap apparently doesn't. '

Yes I believe Phayap is better.

Try it. It will be hard work.

I believe Phayap has a language laboratory.

g

As a former AUA teacher I feel that I can tell you that the quality of course varies wildly from teacher to teacher - from intensive study of students needs to giving virtual beginners 15 minutes of "free talk". If you were indeed fortunate, well done - if not - better luck next time.

PS.

If the Thai teachers put in the effort the farang staff did then there would be no argument about the best place to study Chiang Mai...

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

Firstly, I have not attended either programme. I am however planning on joining the Payap programme after my moving to Chiang Mai (Octoberish). The latest entry (by Ormgard) to this thread somewhat confused me since it said that Payap "apparently" doesn't have a language lab. Quote from the Payap homepage: "Homework and language lab assignments are designed to encourage students to overcome their initial inhibitions about speaking Thai." Is this not correct, or are they using some kind of outside language lab? Could someone please clarify :o

Priceless

Apologies for this error!

It's the other way around I believe: Payap has a language lab, but apparently not AUA. Sorry!

Go to school every day in Chiang Mai, then go home to speak to English with the missus or bar girls & you're wasting your time. To learn, you need to practice & IMHO the best place to practice is where they don’t speak English, then you have to use & think Thai.

My Thai is OK, but Ajarn is one of the best around, however, I found that getting LOTS of massages and talking to the girls does wonders for your Thai language skills and you don't have to go out into the boonies to use what you have learned.

There is much truth in this! In the same day I happened to get a private Thai tutoring lesson (1 hr = 150b) and a massage (2hr for 200b). If one can speak some Thai, and the girls figure it out, they like to talk. Well, they don't "tutor" but they keep up the talking, and to each other (which I know is distracting to other customers and also compromises the massage a bit).

Overal, on reflection, I got about as much Thai practice during my 2 hour massage as I did in my 1 hour of tutoring, AND I got a massage. No special massage, though.

Another topic. As to transliteration methods, I've been exposed to a few different ones, and it doesn't make much difference which one you use. You just have to learn it's rules. If one uses symbols that aren't in the English language, no biggie.

'Nother thing. I find watching Thai TV is good practice, though I'm not quite at the level where I pick up enough that it would be really good practice. But, even if I just pick up some new vocabulary, some of those words will inevitably pop up while watching Thai TV.

can anyone suggest ways of learning thai besides going to AUA or PAyap? Books if any? which one the best for begining thai for both speaking, reading and writing??? i'd really like to save my money. 7500 for payap is really not cheap. and dont really wanna go to AUA again.

can anyone suggest ways of learning thai besides going to AUA or PAyap? Books if any? which one the best for begining thai for both speaking, reading and writing??? i'd really like to save my money. 7500 for payap is really not cheap. and dont really wanna go to AUA again.

Nothing can ever beat a sleeping dictionary!

Nothing can ever beat a sleeping dictionary!

IMO have to say Nothing can ever beat a waking up dictionary!