Mae Sai border run tomorrow 20/08/2013

seeker108

I need to make a run to the border tomorrow morning to get new 15 day visa. Anyone interested in sharing driving and cost (low cost because my Camry runs on LPG)?

I just realized today that I messed up and suddenly need to make this silly border run.

If no takers I think I will just take the van, but have not used it in many years. I will search here for info on it, but any helpful soul who wishes to post a link to a thread about it or just post some info, that would be greatly appreciated.

wai2.gif

Why sit in a van with a driver you don't know when you have a car? Those van drivers can be very reckless and dangerous drivers. Of the last two I have been in I got bed bugs from one and the other we were all begging the driver to slow down. Never again.

You have a car on LPG, it won't cost much in fuel and easily do it in a day. Plus you can stop when and where you want to.

Don't become tomorrow's headline for the sake of 1000 baht of fuel.

Edited by Bung

It's not the cost, I just hate to do long driving myself, by myself. I would rather sit back and read a good book or get some work done or just enjoy the scenery. I did one of the vans mybe 6 or 7 yeras back and though the driver was a bit on the fast side it was not so bad. However, I would at this point in life prefer something like Redride or a comfortable bus from Arcade, unless I find someone to share the drive with me.

I just spoke to Glenn at Redride and unfortunately he is booked for the next several days with non-Mae Sai runs. Sounded like a wonderful gentleman and I would use him any time I need, if he is available. Cost is about double if using his private service by yourself, but you save if there are 2 or 3 of you. In any case you can customize your own trip and have a safe ride and have point to point pick up and drop off. But again he is not available tomorrow, unfortunately. Anyone know of any similar service?

Or any takers for a trip tomorrow in my Camry?

Sit back in a Green Line VIP coach, read a book, have a nap. No need to bite your knuckles, fingernails. I've seen these van drivers at work, and a border run is not worth risking one's life.

• Like 2

Sit back in a Green Line VIP coach, read a book, have a nap. No need to bite your knuckles, fingernails. I've seen these van drivers at work, and a border run is not worth risking one's life.

+1...that's a good way to do it.

The Greenbus leaves from the Arcade at the new Terminal 2 at 8 AM and arrives in Mae Sai before 1 PM in the afternoon. You can book a return trip for 3:30 PM or 4:30 PM.

The last time I did it, the 3:30 PM return gave me plenty of time to go through immigration and browse the booze at the duty-free shop in Tachilek.

• Like 2

The Greenbus leaves from the Arcade at the new Terminal 2 at 8 AM and arrives in Mae Sai before 1 PM in the afternoon. You can book a return trip for 3:30 PM or 4:30 PM.

The last time I did it, the 3:30 PM return gave me plenty of time to go through immigration and browse the booze at the duty-free shop in Tachilek.

Do they have earlier departures from Arcade? Like 6 or 7 AM?

If you go via Phayao you get a lovely scenic drive over the hills and you can stop for lunch beside the lake there then a nice dual carriageway up to Mae Sai. Lovely this time of year.

• Like 1

Heading out by car shortly. 8 AM bus was full. sad.png Did not want to wait for 9:30

yes, you do need to plan ahead slightly and make a booking a few days before departure.whistling.gif

+1 again... and if you want to get a particular seat - 1A for instance - book at least a week in advance.

• Like 1

Last time I took the van; it made two stops. One for 40 THB instant noodles. The other, Thai Cashew Nuts, selling for 3 times what I pay for them.....in the USA. Even though the vans may appear to be in good condition, the all important suspension will be shot. I vote for Greenbus, and all you gotta do is get to Chiang Rai, and there are busses and vans leaving frequently for Mae Sai. I used to almost always get a room in CHiang Rai, drop my stuff off, then take care of visa, and come back to Chiang Rai to party. I'll leave the one day whirlwinds for the teachers.

Do they have earlier departures from Arcade? Like 6 or 7 AM?

Earlier buses (first one is 6am - earlier on a Monday) are usually not VIP (Monday is the exception)- older buses that stop more often - usually doesn't make much difference to the arrival time! Sometimes I get the first X Class - less packed. Still has air con and toilet - not leatherette seats though. All can be booked online now (it never used to work, but has done for the last year or so) right down to seat booking (can even see if the person next to you is male or female) - need to sign up first, but its free. It accepts overseas credit cards too.

Last time I took the van; it made two stops. One for 40 THB instant noodles. The other, Thai Cashew Nuts, selling for 3 times what I pay for them.....in the USA. Even though the vans may appear to be in good condition, the all important suspension will be shot. I vote for Greenbus, and all you gotta do is get to Chiang Rai, and there are busses and vans leaving frequently for Mae Sai. I used to almost always get a room in CHiang Rai, drop my stuff off, then take care of visa, and come back to Chiang Rai to party. I'll leave the one day whirlwinds for the teachers.

I like to do similar - but I stay in Maesai instead - boring place, but only do this if the kids come with me. If I go alone (most often these days as the youngest gets car sick on coaches), I do the "teachers' whirlwind tour" so I can be back before night, don't like them alone at night even if they are well behaved teenagers. The other benefit for doing over night trips (other than going to a bar at night and easy travelling when you get back to Arcade) is that you can take the afternoon bus out and morning one back, thereby avoiding the crowded "teacher whirlwind tour" :) passengers - and tickets are easier to come by.

don't forget...take a jacket as the air con can be deadly, and ear plugs if you don't enjoy Thai thrillers on the bus. Next time I won't wear shorts! blink.png

Oh yeah, learned this one years ago - jeans, socks, and a sweater with shirt under (so can remove the sweater on arrival). Soooooo cold! Makes me wonder if Thais can feel the cold! (my wife certainly can)

I like to do similar - but I stay in Maesai instead - boring place, but only do this if the kids come with me. If I go alone (most often these days as the youngest gets car sick on coaches), I do the "teachers' whirlwind tour" so I can be back before night, don't like them alone at night even if they are well behaved teenagers. The other benefit for doing over night trips (other than going to a bar at night and easy travelling when you get back to Arcade) is that you can take the afternoon bus out and morning one back, thereby avoiding the crowded "teacher whirlwind tour" smile.png passengers - and tickets are easier to come by.

I've gone to Mae Sai on Sunday afternoons before. There is a good Sunday market there, and you can be first in line at 8 am. The people with issues start showing up at 11 or so. There are some decent places along the river, if you go down the steps to the left. Very competitive pricing at the house of ill-repute, also. That Chinese run place down on the left is 400-500 depending on the wind, and is a legitimate 3 star. Can also leave your luggage in the room to go across the border, and take a shower before heading back. Red Songtaew is real cheap to the bus station, pick up in front of 7-11. If you arrive too late to Mae Sai for Songtaew, the moto will take you to the border for 30 THB or one actually took me to what turned out to be a very good hotel, mentioned above.

I like to do similar - but I stay in Maesai instead - boring place, but only do this if the kids come with me. If I go alone (most often these days as the youngest gets car sick on coaches), I do the "teachers' whirlwind tour" so I can be back before night, don't like them alone at night even if they are well behaved teenagers. The other benefit for doing over night trips (other than going to a bar at night and easy travelling when you get back to Arcade) is that you can take the afternoon bus out and morning one back, thereby avoiding the crowded "teacher whirlwind tour" smile.png passengers - and tickets are easier to come by.

I agree! I did the same for a border run last year. Took the Green Bus up to Mae Sai and stayed overnight at the Navy Home Hotel. Used that afternoon to wander around the local market and visit the Wat Phrathat Doi Wao temple. Then the next morning did the border crossing and got the needed stamp. No crowd at all at the border in the morning. I enjoyed the two-day trip; Instead of nine (4.5 up and 4.5 back) hours on a bus in one day. smile.png

I've gone to Mae Sai on Sunday afternoons before. There is a good Sunday market there, and you can be first in line at 8 am. The people with issues start showing up at 11 or so. There are some decent places along the river, if you go down the steps to the left. Very competitive pricing at the house of ill-repute, also. That Chinese run place down on the left is 400-500 depending on the wind, and is a legitimate 3 star. Can also leave your luggage in the room to go across the border, and take a shower before heading back. Red Songtaew is real cheap to the bus station, pick up in front of 7-11. If you arrive too late to Mae Sai for Songtaew, the moto will take you to the border for 30 THB or one actually took me to what turned out to be a very good hotel, mentioned above.

Yeah I stay at the Chinese hotel (same side as 7-11 and Tesco Express near the border but maybe 200 yards up the road) - 500 baht (sometimes 600 sometimes 400 :D). No frills, no hassles. There is a new mall open now (opposite the 7-11 there is a small road that loop behind the Chinese Temple I think - anyway, it leads to a new shopping mall - last time I went may 6 moths ago - most was not yet open, but had a coffee and meal at Black Canyon there.