Renewing A Uk passport via mail......a few questions

Soon I will need to renew my UK passport, its pre the biometric passports, how does this affect the renewal?

I've looked on the link provided above and there is no mention of any additional procedures or information. Do they just renew 'like for like'?

not sure what a letter is needed for - just make sure you hang on to your old passport with the original non-O visa in it so you can show it when needed. My husband applied for a second retirement extension in his new passport with no problem, showing the old passport with visa in it.

As this poster said. No letter is needed. Just take both passports with you.. (you do not send the original passport to HK)

I just did mine at Nakhon PATHOM immigration. The waiting is the worst especially when they have Thai soap operas on the TV.

2 1/2 pages filled up already with the extensions etc :unsure:

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I sent mine off to Hong Kong three weeks ago. I didn't have the photos countersigned not did I have that part of the form countersigned. Not saying that I got it right as I haven't heard anything since. They took the money from my Visa Card about two weeks ago and they have my e-mail address, so I am just hoping that No News is Good News.

Strikes me that no news is no passport.

Good luck anyway.

If any UK citizen is planning a trip to the YUK it might be well worth getting a new passport during that trip.

Well it did prove to be good news in my case at least a few months ago! EDIT: And I now see that it also proved good news for Sirius1935!

And renewing your passport during a trip to the UK is not necessarily advantageous in financial terms at least. Unless you're planning to stay at least 1 month and have a single UK mailing address throughout your visit, you'll have to use HMPO's Fast Track Service which will result in you paying way over the odds in any event..

You may also be liable to fun and games upon your arrival back at BKK when you present the IO with 2 passports!

I always have 2 passports. One I try an keep for Thailand and the other for work travel.

If I should be in the UK (rare) and one is near-full up or near it's sell by date I try an renew just to save the hassle.

And a separate and unrelated tip for all Brits, check you UK driving licence, just looked and mine expires next year. wai.gif

Soon I will need to renew my UK passport, its pre the biometric passports, how does this affect the renewal?

I've looked on the link provided above and there is no mention of any additional procedures or information. Do they just renew 'like for like'?

It shouldn't affect the renewal process in any way. You'll just get a new biometric passport in place of your old non-biometric one.

At least that was my experience when I renewed my UK passport earlier in the year.

As I wrote before there have been reports of letter being mandatory at many immigration offices.

I recently did transfer and had letter. Not sure if it was required but they certainly did not give it back to me.

I went to my nearest Immigration Office in Mae Sai today.

They stamped the first page of the new with data about the old passport and two other stamps. One saying Suwarnabhum: Visa Class Non O and the other saying Krabi: Visa Class Non Res.That will be my first entry to Thailand, from Australia, with the Non O visa ( from Brisbane) and the last entry into Thailand by air from K.L.

The next page was stamped with permission to stay up to its expiry date from the old passport. Then they transferred the departure card to the new passport.

They threw away the 90 day report slip and clipped the two passports together, telling me they have to remain like this until the expiry of my multiple re-entry permit.

No letter required from my embassy. Just four photo copies. Visas and Photo page from old passport and Permission to stay stamp and photo page from new passport.

All I had to do was fill in a form and pay ฿8 for the four photo copies.

The whole thing took about five minutes and they even offered to renew my retirement extension for another year even though that is not due for another six weeks.

All together a pleasant day out and a great lunch in an Indian restaurant for a change.

S.