Pheu Thai seeks 'absolute control'

webfact

Do you know how much extra profit protected industries are able to gouge out of the domestic market because they face little real competition?

Banks, retailers, agribusiness, and others all keep foreign companies out, so they can make extra points of margin and get away with poor service.

Business here needs more competition and Thaksin will I believe break down the barriers. The old money in Bangkok is terrified of this prospect.

I am curious Thai at Heart, do you really believe that if Thaksin gets back into power, directly that is, that he will let foreign banks and companies come in and compete with their Thai counterparts.

And if that is not what you mean then possibly you could explain what you mean by breaking down the barriers?

Of the top 20 or so companies in the country, I think 18 are in limited access industries or owned 51% by government.

Note the soponpanich family front and centre with pad. The ante really got raised when Thaksin issued land and house a bank licence. The first for donkeys years. Which closed industry was forced to allow foreign entry? Telecommunications.

Many industries are off limits to foreign company's without compulsory domestic partners. So many don't bother to enter. Look at how dominant cp is in their business. Cemex and Tesco are both in restricted industry but have nominee shareholdings. They took a risk that many don't take.

Just look at the knots the banks tied korn in, when he tried to get the banks to drop ATM fees. The system are old money oligopolies gouging the market as best they can.

500 baht for your bank statement? Old school oligopoly rice exporters taking a clip in the middle for nothing, foreigners can't even directly build hotels here.

All serve to make a select bunch extremely wealthy for adding little or no value to the chain. he would do it just to smash the old money.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Ongart said Pheu Thai's move to have all senators elected and remove appointed senators would greatly affect the country's political structure, since the ruling party would easily acquire a parliamentary mandate through a majority."

...and the problem is what, exactly? You can't prevent the ruling party acquiring a parliamentary mandate? Grow some balls and win an election, then!

• Like 2

But, I thought it had all moved beyond Thaksin, yet here we are preparing for his imminent dictatorship. Sad times for Thailand indeed. Hopefully he keeps to his word and doesn't take revenge on his political enemies(lol).

maybe not revenge, but he must root out anything that might cause him troubles in future. ....

"Ongart said Pheu Thai's move to have all senators elected and remove appointed senators would greatly affect the country's political structure, since the ruling party would easily acquire a parliamentary mandate through a majority."

...and the problem is what, exactly? You can't prevent the ruling party acquiring a parliamentary mandate? Grow some balls and win an election, then!

If you have the senators filled up with drones who say yes to everything that Thaksin says, than you don't need them at all anymore.

• Like 1

If you have the senators filled up with drones who say yes to everything that Thaksin says, than you don't need them at all anymore.

I would have thought that having the 'senators filled up with drones' would be far more likely in a system governed by appointees than elected individuals.

Why don't all you on here who criticize this move by PTP just bite the bullet, have the courage of your convictions and openly admit that it is the democratic principle itself which is the cause of the problems you perceive?

Bizarre how they look at issues isn't it.

PTP already have control of both houses of parliament, they already appoint unelected people to parliamentary positions, the opposition is all but ineffective due to a lack of numbers and thier only avenue for making thier views on matters that are up for debate is through street protests, which are quickly restricted and dispersed by the BiB. So the passing of the bill is little more than a formality, once passed the way will be open for the triumphant return of dear leader, then we will see if his dream of total, unopposed control can be achieved. Friends and family are already in senior positions in the police and military, and once any dissenters are removed, then well ..............

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Do you know how much extra profit protected industries are able to gouge out of the domestic market because they face little real competition?

Banks, retailers, agribusiness, and others all keep foreign companies out, so they can make extra points of margin and get away with poor service.

Business here needs more competition and Thaksin will I believe break down the barriers. The old money in Bangkok is terrified of this prospect.

I am curious Thai at Heart, do you really believe that if Thaksin gets back into power, directly that is, that he will let foreign banks and companies come in and compete with their Thai counterparts.

And if that is not what you mean then possibly you could explain what you mean by breaking down the barriers?

Of the top 20 or so companies in the country, I think 18 are in limited access industries or owned 51% by government.

Note the soponpanich family front and centre with pad. The ante really got raised when Thaksin issued land and house a bank licence. The first for donkeys years. Which closed industry was forced to allow foreign entry? Telecommunications.

Many industries are off limits to foreign company's without compulsory domestic partners. So many don't bother to enter. Look at how dominant cp is in their business. Cemex and Tesco are both in restricted industry but have nominee shareholdings. They took a risk that many don't take.

Just look at the knots the banks tied korn in, when he tried to get the banks to drop ATM fees. The system are old money oligopolies gouging the market as best they can.

500 baht for your bank statement? Old school oligopoly rice exporters taking a clip in the middle for nothing, foreigners can't even directly build hotels here.

All serve to make a select bunch extremely wealthy for adding little or no value to the chain. he would do it just to smash the old money.

This is the interesting part of his return. I disagree that he will break down barriers and allow competition even from farang companies. IMO he may well break down the existing structures but the replacement will be far more draconian, and only involving his own companies, for his clans profit only, with zero benefit to the consumers.

If he does indeed free up the monopolies that the big Thai businesses have enjoyed for generations and unfairly profited from, and allow genuine competition without state "interference" I will be his biggest fan. An immediate popularity booster would be to stop road closures and over-the-top security measures for VIPs to travel, but again I fear this will be even worse.

It appears we will soon see. So long as he doesn't revoke work permits and retirement visas for farang residents I can't imagine our lives will change much.

This is the interesting part of his return. I disagree that he will break down barriers and allow competition even from farang companies. IMO he may well break down the existing structures but the replacement will be far more draconian, and only involving his own companies, for his clans profit only, with zero benefit to the consumers.

If he does indeed free up the monopolies that the big Thai businesses have enjoyed for generations and unfairly profited from, and allow genuine competition without state "interference" I will be his biggest fan. An immediate popularity booster would be to stop road closures and over-the-top security measures for VIPs to travel, but again I fear this will be even worse.

It appears we will soon see. So long as he doesn't revoke work permits and retirement visas for farang residents I can't imagine our lives will change much.

I think he will open it up. they can't gain international legitimacy by simply transferring it from one hand to another. He might get paid, but what thus country desperately needs is to improve itself as an investment destination.

However, of looking at the Thai GDP numbers start to tank and the currency starts to fall, the first bogeyman that these idiots will come up with is farangs. I can imagine him making long term visas far more stringent.

Lest we forget, mr. milliband cancelled his visa, precisely for what we will never know. To save tescos backside??

Edited by Thai at Heart

Will the people just accept this or is the "C" on the horizon? Might have a new influx of Asylum seekers heading to Australian shores.

I am sure "the people" will be appalled at the idea of getting to choose their own leaders and much rather be led like sheep by a leadership appointed for them.

• Like 1

I think he will open it up. they can't gain international legitimacy by simply transferring it from one hand to another. He might get paid, but what thus country desperately needs is to improve itself as an investment destination.

However, of looking at the Thai GDP numbers start to tank and the currency starts to fall, the first bogeyman that these idiots will come up with is farangs. I can imagine him making long term visas far more stringent.

Lest we forget, mr. milliband cancelled his visa, precisely for what we will never know. To save tescos backside??

As for "opening up" the country there is an article in the other paper today saying that they want to crack down on foreigners involved with a company that owns land. Penalty proposed is only 5 to 20 years in prison, up to 2 million baht fine. While Thais can own land overseas perfectly legally. In light of all Thaksin and clans zenophobic history as control freaks, they do not bode well for any farang living in Thailand(even those that purchased an elite status). This is made even more ironic as wasn't it the man himself that was out in the middle east a few yers ago drumming up foreign funds to invest in rice growing land tracts. So, got your money now bugger off.

There is an ill wind blowing.

But isn't that what ASEAN is all about, that Thailand has to open up it's restricted businesses to foreign investors.

huh??? ** ...please do not create conflicts or create conditions that lead to coups," Suranand said.**

...aside from all else, /THIS/ is the problem at the root of this *democracy*, this kind of stinkin' thinkin'... ;-} rap.

attachicon.gifDragonWTF_FB_30Jul13_1005638_4783682563766_423773692_n.jpg

Psychopathy
What is Psychopathy?

Psychopathy is among the most difficult disorders to spot. The psychopath can appear normal, even charming. Underneath, they lack conscience and empathy, making them manipulative, volatile and often (but by no means always) criminal.

It should read, Thaksin seeks 'absolute control '

However, its a Fait accompli I am afraid, unless a credible and competent opposition bursts from the shadows.

soundman It was the "Finland Plot" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland_Plot

Aided by the Carlyle conspiracy. wink.png

The 'mastermind' is at it again, he appears to pride himself as conspiracy theorist who likes to use his compassion for conspiracies to stir the people. In 2006 he was successful.He must not be allowed to succeed again.

Indeed he seems to do this simply because he appears to believe that the poorly educated masses will rally to such conspiratorial crap.

Many countries in their wisdom would not tolerate the spinning of conspiratorial garbage through the use of public media like the press and television. (Except maybe the FOX)

The use of conspiratorial propaganda is generally thought to be against every nation's interest in that it engenders fear, instability and panic among the people.

Edited by indyuk

While we're at it, why not abolish the party list system which sees MPs and the PM appointed by whoever has enough money to buy a few popular politicians. We can consider ourselves lucky Thaksin has siblings, otherwise he might have appointed his horse, or more likely, his dog.

Come to think of it, a bitch might have done a better job.

And doubtless you'd be conjuring up some other shrill conspiracy theory if PTP did abolish the party list system, the merits of which are not a part of this topic.

Honestly, if all the ranting on these threads is to be believed, people who share your views actually have quite a lot in common with Thaksin. None of you appear to trust in the democratic principle when it comes to Thailand.

It should read, Thaksin seeks 'absolute control '

However, its a Fait accompli I am afraid, unless a credible and competent opposition bursts from the shadows.

soundman It was the "Finland Plot" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland_Plot

Aided by the Carlyle conspiracy. wink.png

Sondhi Limthongkul appears to pride himself as conspiracy theorist who likes to use his compassion for conspiracies to stir the people.

Indeed Sondhi seems to do this simply because he appears to believe that the poorly educated masses will rally to such conspiratorial crap.

Many countries in their wisdom would not tolerate the spinning of conspiratorial garbage through the use of public media like the press and television.

The use of conspiratorial propaganda is generally thought to be against every nation's interest in that it engenders fear, instability and panic among the people.

Ah ok. Just let them have absolute power at any cost because anybody who talks about it is simply spreading conspiratorial propaganda. How dare they accuse Thaksin of any sleazy dirty tricks. BTW, are you working at the CSD?

• Like 1

Every country, including Thailand, deserves the chance to elect leaders through democracy. However, you only earn the right to democracy when the people of the country holding the election are mature enough to both campaign and vote in a democratic way. Without the latter the former is just window dressing.

One wonders what the worthies who are paid bling bling guests at the upcoming three ring circus concerning reconciliation would say or think or actually even attend the three ring circus now that the ringmaster and puppet masters plans have become public knowledge.

Still the way the economy is starting to go the vultures won't have much left to rip from the financial carcass of Thailand and its peoples. Indeed with any good fortune those vulture will imitate the famedl Ooselum Bird and finally vanish into their own rectums, Indeed we can but live in hope of such an event

Ok Thai at heart but that does not answer the question, do you think Thaksin would allow entry to overseas companies and banks?

Unless it is to his own advantage.

Which closed industry was forced to allow foreign entry? Telecommunications.

Telecommunications.? was that not Thaksin?

Just look at the knots the banks tied korn in, when he tried to get the banks to drop ATM fees

But they did drop the ATM fees although not as much as Korn wanted.

rice exporters taking a clip in the middle for nothing

Look what has happened to the rice industry when the Govt tried to be smart and cut out the middle men, and manipulate the market of course.

Still the Govt sells to the exporters through their auctions, why?

Because they are the ones who have the customers, the connections if you like, the same as in every other industry.

As an example; the reason I use a travel agent when I want air tickets, a rental car, hotel bookings, he has the connections I do not.

And so we have a new select extremely wealthy bunch doing exactly the same but probably with more corruption on the way.

Do you think that is an improvement?

But, I thought it had all moved beyond Thaksin, yet here we are preparing for his imminent dictatorship. Sad times for Thailand indeed. Hopefully he keeps to his word and doesn't take revenge on his political enemies(lol).

Glad you added the LOL

His enemies had better run for cover when he returns

That's the real problem. actually there are three problems.

1. Its the fear of retaliation that many are afraid of. not the few minor molehills that has been blown out of proportion out of fear. (worse has been committed and forgiven in Thailand) looking back on history the man does not easily forget or forgive.

2. Its the fear from the drug lords. although there are breakthroughs and huge drug "busts" at the moment, that's just the tip of the iceberg (its the case of sacrificing 10 million to let 100 million get through) but if the man returns to power its his ruthless attitude to drug abuse that they are afraid of.

3. Should the way be cleared for his return, is the man actually prepared to return and rule his people with the never ending threat of assassination hanging over his head? it really doesn't matter how many body guards one has, how secure the system is, the threat is there, and can tire a person both physically and psychologically. can he handle this and do his job?

Yes I agree. The old guard has been around since well before the constitutional monarchy took shape - it was feudal power and the same families (with extra ex-feudal Chinese 'visitors' joining the motley crew) - they will continue to keep the status quo; keep the power and position and everyone else low. Such things are only broken one way - and they are also invariably broken under the leadership of a not very good person (choose Mao/Stalin/Robespierre/Cromwell/etc). The old guard are Thailand's real enemy, one person who climbed is way up through the corruption to join them, and later fell fail of them, may well be their downfall. He is not a good person, or will ever be a great leader, but he is a "changer" and his own greed (and lets be honest - out of the box thinking) may well open up doors that brings real change in to the country - for good or fail. Interesting times perhaps.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way"

"Them's times, they are a'changing"

As for "opening up" the country there is an article in the other paper today saying that they want to crack down on foreigners involved with a company that owns land. Penalty proposed is only 5 to 20 years in prison, up to 2 million baht fine. While Thais can own land overseas perfectly legally. In light of all Thaksin and clans zenophobic history as control freaks, they do not bode well for any farang living in Thailand(even those that purchased an elite status). This is made even more ironic as wasn't it the man himself that was out in the middle east a few yers ago drumming up foreign funds to invest in rice growing land tracts. So, got your money now bugger off.

There is an ill wind blowing.

...but this is ALWAYS true - Thailand is xenophobic. The Dems did not make it easier did they - in fact under the Dems there were practically no residency permits approved - those still hanging around since before the coup (deposits paid of course!).

I do not like Thaksin, make no mistake, but there is never going to be a change unless the apple cart is seriously upset - and he is the one man that can do that AND has the motive and tenacity to. He is not, and has never been, in with the thinking of the old guard. The status quo keeps those people wealthy - Thaksin didn't want status quo, he wanted to be wealthier and more powerful than all of them (and from more modest beginnings - not poor, but not the Bangkok elite either). He upset their apple cart before - he p!ssed them off royally selling Shin Corp to Singapore. He thinks globally, he always wants more, he will not settle for rubbing faces in the mire and stealing their tiny empires - he wants to take advantage of the west's financial problems and the opening up of China and Burma - those doors will open, I am pretty sure, and he will be positioned to make a lot of profit and benefit from it. If he does not, then he will eventually be chipped away at by those other elites that hate him (and are jealous of him) and like before will be in danger of losing all (and they may make a better job of it this time - now they know he is not going to stay quiet and kowtow) - he knows this, his only options are to wipe them out or make them irrelevant - or make himself indispensable, he plans to come back after going around the world making lots of nice contacts and boom as soon as he is positioned, there will have to be major change to international policy (if he wants to survive).

I just returned from a meeting with the United Sheep Council, and they told me (the only non-sheep in attendance) that they don't like being denigrated - by being associated with hordes of people species who can't think for themselves. They particularly object to the word 'sheeple' being used so often. They asked me to tell you people this. Other than that, it was pretty much "bah bah bah and more bah," .....and a few farts.

I see that hundreds of police have ejected 57 Democrat MPs from parliament during a debate today for "standing up" in protest.

Fascism? Police State?

I know what I think.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

One wonders what the worthies who are paid bling bling guests at the upcoming three ring circus concerning reconciliation would say or think or actually even attend the three ring circus now that the ringmaster and puppet masters plans have become public knowledge.

Still the way the economy is starting to go the vultures won't have much left to rip from the financial carcass of Thailand and its peoples. Indeed with any good fortune those vulture will imitate the famedl Ooselum Bird and finally vanish into their own rectums, Indeed we can but live in hope of such an event

Can't see why Tony Blair would have a problem with the idea of an all elected senate. In March 2007 under his premiership the house of commons voted by a majority for an all elected upper house in the UK.

When have Thaksin keept his word?

• Like 1