Bangkok convenience store refuses to help beaten and bloody technical school student

webfact

I must live in a different world to most of you. I find people are very willing to help in any situation when they can. Here the clerks in the store probably felt it was not safe to let him in which is understandable. Didn’t the rescuers turn up quickly? Well done to the team of rescuers.

Wait a few years until you know the wrinkles of this culture and/or understand Thai language.

FYI The rescuers are from different foundations who compete for "customers" IE: victims of crime and/or accident. Those foundations are ferocious and have resorted to shoot (yes, firearms) other foundation rescuers to discourage them from getting there first. They do get paid for rescuing. Thais donate huge sums of money to their favorite foundations to "make merit" and secure their passage to heaven once they die.

Live, learn and you will understand that it is not just Thai bashing.

I was unaware that

"and secure their passage to heaven once they die"

was a part of Thai culture

Sounds more Christian to me.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the feeling son, I went flying over the handlebar of my bike at 80kph last night and bounced down the road in heavy traffic. Not a singular Thai stopped to help me.

TexasRanger pointed out on a thread I opened about it on the general forum that you can potentially get jailed for giving first aid.

What kind of brain damaged moronic thinking is that? It's disgraceful.

I have had two crashes in Bangkok on bikes, and both times Thais have been incredibly helpful - made sure I was OK, took the bike to the side of the road, and one couple stayed with me till the 'ambulance' arrived.

Good for you and for them too!

However, a single incident or exception do not make a rule.

The rule, alas, is as portrayed in the video of several guys beating on one and those close enough to help, do not. That, unfortunately, IS the rule,

I think you are right. Something has really changed. I'm off tomorrow. I am not going to leave my kids here to live in this system.

Maybe other people don't see it or don't agree with it, but as far as I am concerned since just before 2010 the corruption, arrogance, thievery, bad attitudes, xenophobia have just gone through the roof as far as I am concerned. And it's not just simply that things are reported more often, I'm talking about what I "see" day to day. It's as if with the change in Govt, everyone's got a free pass to be a complete ass now.

I agree, it's changed. When u throw in the cost of schooling to a reasonable level and health insurance to a reasonable level, back home looks relatively cheap.

Then throw in a functioning legal system, the ability to invest in a home for your family without risking losing it, actually own your own company without risking losing control of it etc etc.

I am at a point also now, that it's now it never for the kids, so, time to go. I saw a friend go through a divorce here which was surprisingly equitable, but hearing his ex missus prattling on about how it was all hers and the way she basically obstructed the whole system, one has to conclude that it is a ridiculously inequitable deal for farangs to live and get ahead here.

I've had enough, the schools are basically crap, the daily violence is too much, drugs are everywhere, corruption is rising.

If you want just the tiniest luxury in your life things are exorbitant in reality. throw in the impending problems coming to Thailand, I don't want to be sitting in red country if things get heated, and this time round I think they will.

My rosy tints have worn off

But back to the op, this type of violence is rising, I have no doubt.

Agree completely. I'm off as well. I'll happily take the high taxes, dark winters and shitty weather over this corrupt, lawless, violent mess. Its gotten to the point that I am embarrassed to tell people I live in Thailand. Its definitely getting worse. I can see it, friends of mine can see it, the inlaws can see it. One holiday every two years to catch up with people is enough for me.

At one highly respected international school that I have had connections to, the newby teachers are given an orientation class and instructed about the whys and wherefores of living in Thailand. The school's doctor tells the newbies quite emphatically NOT to stop for an accident and to run like hell if involved in one and you can. She says she herself will not stop to help. Bloody sad to say it, but if something happens near me, the order of the day is POQ - as in lightning speed.

I know the feeling son, I went flying over the handlebar of my bike at 80kph last night and bounced down the road in heavy traffic. Not a singular Thai stopped to help me.

TexasRanger pointed out on a thread I opened about it on the general forum that you can potentially get jailed for giving first aid.

What kind of brain damaged moronic thinking is that? It's disgraceful.

The kind that is born and raised without a father in Thailand.

Strange culture.

My motorbike was being vandalized in the parking of my apartment building.

When the police showed up at my request, the told me that if I saw such an event happening, to just stay away. They said that if I would intervene, I would get stabbed.

The neighbour across the street observed the thefts 3 times...he just watched..

Three wise monkeys in the store? Shocking but not unexpected. Echoing another topic on here, the complete indifference of a lot of Thai's to any problems or issues but their own or people they know well.

It's not the Thailand of even 3 or 4 years ago anymore, is it?

I think you are right. Something has really changed. I'm off tomorrow. I am not going to leave my kids here to live in this system.

Maybe other people don't see it or don't agree with it, but as far as I am concerned since just before 2010 the corruption, arrogance, thievery, bad attitudes, xenophobia have just gone through the roof as far as I am concerned. And it's not just simply that things are reported more often, I'm talking about what I "see" day to day. It's as if with the change in Govt, everyone's got a free pass to be a complete ass now.

The interesting point is where do you see it? I move around quite lot and I seem to miss it all!

I agree, it's changed. When u throw in the cost of schooling to a reasonable level and health insurance to a reasonable level, back home looks relatively cheap.

Then throw in a functioning legal system, the ability to invest in a home for your family without risking losing it, actually own your own company without risking losing control of it etc etc.

I am at a point also now, that it's now it never for the kids, so, time to go. I saw a friend go through a divorce here which was surprisingly equitable, but hearing his ex missus prattling on about how it was all hers and the way she basically obstructed the whole system, one has to conclude that it is a ridiculously inequitable deal for farangs to live and get ahead here.

I've had enough, the schools are basically crap, the daily violence is too much, drugs are everywhere, corruption is rising.

If you want just the tiniest luxury in your life things are exorbitant in reality. throw in the impending problems coming to Thailand, I don't want to be sitting in red country if things get heated, and this time round I think they will.

My rosy tints have worn off

But back to the op, this type of violence is rising, I have no doubt.

Agree completely. I'm off as well. I'll happily take the high taxes, dark winters and shitty weather over this corrupt, lawless, violent mess. Its gotten to the point that I am embarrassed to tell people I live in Thailand. Its definitely getting worse. I can see it, friends of mine can see it, the inlaws can see it. One holiday every two years to catch up with people is enough for me.

Funnily, just bumped into a Thai friend and we explained we were off mainly for schools. Their sentiments about the current level of violence and the gave that our kids are if an age were "if I had the chance I would leave, it's getting more violent among everyone, and the police are useless".

So yes, some of the Thais are starting to feel it also.

Edited by Thai at Heart

The interesting point is where do you see it? I move around quite lot and I seem to miss it all!

Most especially in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket . . . get outside the cities though and things are a little different although I see it changing there as well.

what ever happened to public caneing? I believe this would be a good punishment. I think about 20 whacks from a martial arts expert should about do it

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal. Please do not post using overly large font.

You know what, I've just watched that video. Another disgrace. These cowardly thugs beating that boy.

Thailand is needing to introduce the cat o' nine tails to these morons, take the skin off their back and we'll see how hard they are then.

Yes, we need to learn from Singapore. They don't stuff around with thugs there and you feel safe any time, any place.

• Like 1

My Thai father-in-law stopped to help a father and son who were in a hit and run accident . They stopped at a police check point for help. The first thing the police did was try and extort money from my father-in-law by blaming him for the accident. Luckily the son of the dead man kept telling the police my father-in-law only stopped to help. Can't blame anyone for not help it is too risky in Thailand.

Technical school brawls - happen all the time. I'm sure he did something to somebody to get them after him. Also, letting him in the shop would only invite the other thugs to bash the door in and target the shop as a foe. He had help almost immediately anyway, I don't understand why they are making this so sensational. Oh yeah, Coconut. Plus putting GRAPHIC!!! will generate a lot more adclicks!

Well "tominbkk", your post makes you sound like the type of clown that is not needed in Thailand. Hope you go back to where you came from as quickly as possible.

Top marks to Coconut on their treatment of this story!

• Like 2

Technical school brawls - happen all the time. I'm sure he did something to somebody to get them after him. Also, letting him in the shop would only invite the other thugs to bash the door in and target the shop as a foe. He had help almost immediately anyway, I don't understand why they are making this so sensational. Oh yeah, Coconut. Plus putting GRAPHIC!!! will generate a lot more adclicks!

Well "tominbkk", your post makes you sound like the type of clown that is not needed in Thailand. Hope you go back to where you came from as quickly as possible.

Don't blame me if you can't handle reality here

Don't blame me if you can't handle reality here

Stick around Tom I like to read your posts. smile.png

Always difficult to intervene here. Good samaritan helping Thai lady getting beaten by husband/boyfriend gets killed. Killer escapes

with girlfriend on back of scooter. Shop owner intervenes and ends up assaulted by a pack youthful hooligans, or shop firebombed at a later

date. It is shameful but understandable. Safest option is to call 911 rescue. As for accidents on the road I have seen on several occasions

Thai bystanders rush to give assistance.

@culicine, I agree with you on that. I know back in my country (UK) a lot of people would not help you, either in fear of them getting beaten themselves, or sued.

Bleeding rubbish, I don't know what district you come from but your over the top.

In the UK most people will help (not maybe in the middle of a fight) but injured on the path/roadside YES. I hailed from a poor-ish county area most folks were warm hearted and decent. We were taught from an early age right from wrong, poor but decent background loving families in general.

Seems to me here there is a total lack of parental control, in fact I will go as far to say big % of parents have no idea how to be a parent.

If you are in the UK and you end up laying bleeding on the floor after being stabbed by a chav, don't feel too relieved when bystanders pull out their phones..... they're mostly going to video you to show their mates.

The world had grown cynical and detached. You Thai bashers should get out a little more

If you are in the UK and you end up laying bleeding on the floor after being stabbed by a chav, don't feel too relieved when bystanders pull out their phones..... they're mostly going to video you to show their mates.

The world had grown cynical and detached. You Thai bashers should get out a little more

I'm more inclined to suggest you apologists open your eyes a little more.

• Like 1

I'm not saying that Thais do not do these things, I'm saying that it's not just a Thai thing. It's a human thing. Happens everywhere

agree but not totally, some places/country's are reluctant, some are very good depends on YOUR area in the UK or wherever, or your on hand experience. BUT the easiest answer on this forum is "IT HAPPENS EVERYWHERE"

Why when we read something that happens here, this excuse ??? let's answer about here not where you come from.

HERE there is a fear, such as this story, Police, officials, In Issan speaking to most on the subject---mostly it's a no go, don't help-or don't speak to persons above your station, or argue with them, or someone can kill you, it is fact they actually believe it.

Not a comment about this unfortunate incident but can any poster tell me why I cannot open a video posted on Thai Visa? I have had this problem trying to open at least 6 vieos

I have the same problem, but in Thailand you are not supposed to ask. Once I asked my Thai friend to ask at the bus station is the tour bus direct--answer was 'I cannot ask for if I do they will think I am not educated"biggrin.png

Are you being serious here?

From what I could see, the medics and other people were there to help lost immediately.

If there was a huge fight in front of your house would you drag the one injured guy in, go out to help? Or call 911? Granted we all want to help but these technical school guys pick teams very quickly and show no mercy when they start fighting.

If there was a huge fight in front of your house would you drag the one injured guy in, go out to help? Or call 911? Granted we all want to help but these technical school guys pick teams very quickly and show no mercy when they start fighting.

Ok but your second sentence saying he probably deserved this assault is somewhat harsh. Also I would open my door to someone who needed help. Maybe foolish but I would still do it.

• Like 1

Ok but your second sentence saying he probably deserved this assault is somewhat harsh. Also I would open my door to someone who needed help. Maybe foolish but I would still do it.
I suppose I could have worded it differently. I've just seen so many of these tit for yay fights, I tend to make assumptions.
  • Like 1

While fairly new to thailand, some guy was laying in the middle of the highway after being hit by a bus, the front of the bus was completely smashed and so was his face, no emergency services present so I asked my dad should we do something to help, though the motorcyclist was obviously dead. my dad declined to stop but reported it to the police about two kilometers up the road, it's sad to say but some people use such opportunities to take advantage of others or the likes, I think things are generally improving but there's still a need of improvement.

In that sense there isn't much of a we are thai mentality anymore, it's quite strange in that sense normally thai people will bend over backwards to help another thai person even if that thai person is in the wrong or such on occasions.