Bangkok convenience store refuses to help beaten and bloody technical school student

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the feeling son, I went flying over the handlebar of my bike at 80kph last night and bounced down the road in heavy traffic. Not a singular Thai stopped to help me.

TexasRanger pointed out on a thread I opened about it on the general forum that you can potentially get jailed for giving first aid.

What kind of brain damaged moronic thinking is that? It's disgraceful.

Don't think people in the West are any more sympathetic. My elderly mother fell over on a footpath a couple of months ago on the gold coast. She cut her face and was bleeding profusely. Not one person stopped to help, and one guy looked and actually sped away in his car. So let's not start with the Thai bashing...

POSTER WITH COMMON SENSE

All this thai bashing and its the same the world over.Years ago a guy was beating on a woman,so my adrenalin kicked in and ran across the street to help her.Both started to throw punches at me,they were husband and wife,having a tiff, but i saw him hitting her a few times.They were both pissed so easy to take them down.

• Like 1

I know the feeling son, I went flying over the handlebar of my bike at 80kph last night and bounced down the road in heavy traffic. Not a singular Thai stopped to help me.

TexasRanger pointed out on a thread I opened about it on the general forum that you can potentially get jailed for giving first aid.

Don't think people in the West are any more sympathetic. My elderly mother fell over on a footpath a couple of months ago on the gold coast. She cut her face and was bleeding profusely. Not one person stopped to help, and one guy looked and actually sped away in his car. So let's not start with the Thai bashing...

Must be an Asia Pacific thing then.

Try again. Happens in the US with equally disturbing frequency.

• Like 1

I must live in a different world to most of you. I find people are very willing to help in any situation when they can. Here the clerks in the store probably felt it was not safe to let him in which is understandable. Didn’t the rescuers turn up quickly? Well done to the team of rescuers.

Wait a few years until you know the wrinkles of this culture and/or understand Thai language.

FYI The rescuers are from different foundations who compete for "customers" IE: victims of crime and/or accident. Those foundations are ferocious and have resorted to shoot (yes, firearms) other foundation rescuers to discourage them from getting there first. They do get paid for rescuing. Thais donate huge sums of money to their favorite foundations to "make merit" and secure their passage to heaven once they die.

Live, learn and you will understand that it is not just Thai bashing.

Completion is good if two rescue teams are trying to get to an incident first so much the better.

Three wise monkeys in the store? Shocking but not unexpected. Echoing another topic on here, the complete indifference of a lot of Thai's to any problems or issues but their own or people they know well.

It's not the Thailand of even 3 or 4 years ago anymore, is it?

I think you are right. Something has really changed. I'm off tomorrow. I am not going to leave my kids here to live in this system.

Three wise monkeys in the store? Shocking but not unexpected. Echoing another topic on here, the complete indifference of a lot of Thai's to any problems or issues but their own or people they know well.

I think you are right. Something has really changed. I'm off tomorrow. I am not going to leave my kids here to live in this system.

Maybe other people don't see it or don't agree with it, but as far as I am concerned since just before 2010 the corruption, arrogance, thievery, bad attitudes, xenophobia have just gone through the roof as far as I am concerned. And it's not just simply that things are reported more often, I'm talking about what I "see" day to day. It's as if with the change in Govt, everyone's got a free pass to be a complete ass now.

• Like 2

I have had two crashes in Bangkok on bikes, and both times Thais have been incredibly helpful - made sure I was OK, took the bike to the side of the road, and one couple stayed with me till the 'ambulance' arrived.

• Like 2

I don't blame them. They are afraid (citing from their conversation in the video) and have to be concern for their safety first. Even though they did not open the door, I am sure that they contacted the police to report this incident.

Teenagers in Thailand are extremely violent nowaday. It is almost a norm to beat up other students from different institution. It's their ideal of being cool.

Edited by stickyrice2000

You need help after an accident or been beaten up? Wave with your ATM-card to open Thai hearts and doors! In this case it gives even more insight what the true meaning of "Thai rak Thai" is...

• Like 1

Hope you are alright and will get better soon.

In my opinion the reason thais didnt stop and helped was not because you could go to jail for giving first aid but simply because they dont give a .....!

Its similar to the rushing ambulance cars..they dont care about them and never let them pass.

• Like 1

That one brush which most of you are using to paint all Thais with is worn down to the nub. People are people, some are good and some not so good. Things are not getting worse, they have always been the same and after spending close to half my life here, I still feel very lucky to be able to call Thailand my home.

Edited by phosphorescent
  • Like 2

You must mean 30 or 40 years ago, certainly not 3 or 4 years ago. Nothing has changed, in the last 20 years there have been many fights between rival students all over Bangkok, on the street and buses. Some students have murdered other students with guns, knives or due to beatings. The difference now is that there are cameras everywhere which hopefully can catch the perpetrators.

To help, or not to help, that's the question...

a) According to numerous forum topics, if you try to help a person during or after a fight, you are utterly stupid and deserve the beating that will descend upon you.

According to many responses in this thread, if you don't help you are a disgrace to mankind at large and society as a whole.

My opinion is, if you come across such a situation, try to assess it first before deciding on either a) or, and just follow your own conscience and common sense, and screw any other opinion, mine included.

What happened to B)??

I do notice there is a lot less reaction to this topic than if it were a farang, OK,OK, Thai Visa, still.

Thailand is a hierarchical society.

If you get involved by trying to help and you don't have the power, authority or status within society to be a decision maker, then you can end up in prison if the victim dies or beaten up by others if your actions are misconstrued or misunderstood.

That is why the golden rule in Thailand is don't help and don't get involved. It is not because you don't want to but you must consider your position within the hierarchy. Power trumps all here.

• Like 1

By the way, it comes to my mind I never was agressed or whatever for helping a Thai lady with a baby in her arm holding her trolley at the shop as she took out her shopping, or helping an old lady, in different shop, taking a pack water because too high for her. Maybe it is all a matter of mutual respect.

I also never was bothered in any way when I went drinking in bars where there were or not farang, I even go bars where only Thai and police go

Welcome to Asia. (China's even worse)

Yes. When I was living in Taiwan (ok, China sort-of-ish) someone told me that once a person saves another person's life (s)he is responsible for the rescued person for evermore. It's not logical to me, but when i followed it up I discovered that lots of Taiwanese believed it was better to turn away than assume responsibility for a stranger for the rest of your life.

Very unfortunate. Its called bystander syndorme. Here people would not want to help as the general mindset is that the person helping will fall into trouble. Sometimes even accused by the person he helps.

The age of helping a fellow human being is lost. Well at least in LOS. Very disturbing.

My sympathies to the young student.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

...would it have been too much to call the police...or even sound off the store alarm...

In the states you run the risk of being sued giving first aid to a person.sad.png

No its not, those days men were men and women loved them. nowadays its difficult to distinguish men, and women are scared of them.

Nobody refuses to help it's just women inside 7 eleven said she was scared and she didn't want let him in store so she call medics and cops and medics came 5 minutes after and they help him.What all fuzz around here? to many butthurt farangs who hate thai more than everything they just wait story like that so they can unleash they "this only happens here"

Edited by thaichalina