Have you become accustomed to spicy food?

britgent

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No not ever never, what is it with food that burns your mouth and gives you bad breath and ulcers,, i never liked spicy food that burned my mouth so i don't eat it,, originally in India spices were used to disguise rotten food they were cooking and to this day i can't get that thought out of my mind,, eat all you like, you can have mine as well,, the first Thai phrase i learn't was Mai Pet, i start a conversation with that phrase now, i don't care who you are MAI PET dog no BITCH.

• Like 1

I was born in Singapore (parents European) and lived in Indonesia until I was 8. My brothers and I ate food spicier than the Indonesians.

They were shocked as we ate chilies of the bush like chips. After moving to Canada this mellowed out. For my older brother after a few years

of marriage and eating incredibly bland food can no longer eat any amount of spicy heat. The rest of the family enjoy spicy food.

Not to the point of it being a contest but medium by Thai standards. I enjoy chicken Paneng in particular.

Now I do have a buddy who I have travelled with here in Thailand. He eats chilies like chips, scotch bonnet same, everything. The Thais

mouths drop in shock. He asks for his food hot, hot, hot, extra chili,cleans out the chili condiment jar on the table at every meal and asks

for more. This is just the was he likes it, not a contest. However it must be pointed out he has not had a solid bowel movement in more than

10 years. and is never sure if it is gas or squirt.

Your tolerance for spice will increase but let it be over time, and slowly. Enjoy your food don't force the issue.

When I first came here many years ago, I was well into the spicy food. But over the years I have "backed off" on the very hot dishes so that I could enjoy the flavors rather than having a mouth full of chilli. I am also cooking more Farang food now. I grow habanero and jalapeno chilli but give most away to the Thais

I can eat very spicy food like Thais . But recently stopped doing this since hot pepper stop me from tasting other flavors in my food

Sent from my ST18a using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Eating any type of food for me is not a question of health but of taste.

In other words, if I like it - I like it. My taste buds are supreme in choice of what I eat.

Having said this, I must add that I like many foods represented in many cuisines.

Spices are a condiment adding taste and flavor not substitute for food to me.

My general motto is: 'dog sh*t can be spiced enough to make it edible'.

French, Italian, Greek, Russian and above all Japanese - are good for me.

In my humble opinion average Thai food is grossly overdone and overspiced. wai2.gif

Luckily I am a good cook and have a well appointed kitchen.

There are very good, fresh and cheap food ingredients in Thailand.

BTW, my wife (Thai) prefers European food (or so she says) and has mastered my ways of cooking. biggrin.png I'm very lucky rolleyes.gif

Here is a related issue: how do you get the server at a restaurant (not one you frequent) to understand that you want your food with the same level of spiciness as they would produce for a Thai customer?

I've had the experience of being in a restaurant, speaking only Thai, requesting the Thai language menu, and being served dishes that would ordinarily be made somewhat spicy, but without any chili at all?

I've learned one trick that works at least some of the time. I say (in Thai), something like: although I have a Western face, I eat spicy like a Thai person. Still not foolproof.

Why do you request the menu in Thai? Do you read Thai?

The fully ripe chilis here rip into my stomach for some reason. I used to eat vindaloos and extra spicy jalfrezis all the time back in the Uk with no side effects other than a slightly sore derriér, so not sure what the difference is here. I thought capsacin was capsacin was capsacin... even a small amount of the thai chilis make me have violent cramps now sad.png Annoying as I love spicy food

I was the same before I came here. I could eat the hottest curry from the local Indian and Thai restaurants. Even when I first got here, I was eating very spicy foods and even picking the little birds eye chilies out of things and eating them. After 3 weeks of being here I had a bad tummy for a couple of days and since then even the mildest chili taste burns my mouth so much, it is unbearable.

Now I have to ask for Mai Pet when we eat out.

I did a trip to Sri Lanka a few years back and was eating curry for breakfast. While there we did a trip to a spice farm. The guys there gave a demonstration about different spices and they told us that a Westerners body reacts to chili by giving us a runny nose. They said that the same happens to them if they eat Western spices like mustard and radish.

One of the original reasons for mega-spicing one's food was that, years ago, the meat stank. The chili's concealed this "stank" and caught on for other reasons, like, umm, physiological addiction.

Guy down the street trapped a mongoose yesterday. Not too many of those left, and they're beneficial, though not particularly friendly critters.

Asked him what he was going to do with it?

Eat it.

(moron)

I said it would likely taste nasty. He held up a big bag of Thai bird peppers and smiled.

Here is a related issue: how do you get the server at a restaurant (not one you frequent) to understand that you want your food with the same level of spiciness as they would produce for a Thai customer?

I've had the experience of being in a restaurant, speaking only Thai, requesting the Thai language menu, and being served dishes that would ordinarily be made somewhat spicy, but without any chili at all?

I've learned one trick that works at least some of the time. I say (in Thai), something like: although I have a Western face, I eat spicy like a Thai person. Still not foolproof.

Why do you request the menu in Thai? Do you read Thai?

One would assume that if he's requesting the Thai menu, he can read Thai. Wouldn't make much sense to do so otherwise, right?

So I guess I'm one of the few who after two years still hasn't managed to accustom to spicy food. I can eat a little spicy but the limit is quickly reached. That's why I usually tell not to put any chili. There's nothing worse than being hungry and not being able to eat the food in front of you.

So I guess I'm one of the few who after two years still hasn't managed to accustom to spicy food. I can eat a little spicy but the limit is quickly reached. That's why I usually tell not to put any chili. There's nothing worse than being hungry and not being able to eat the food in front of you.

Being stuck with totally bland food when you ordered the real deal ain't such a happy time either, mate.

Being stuck with totally bland food when you ordered the real deal ain't such a happy time either, mate.

I worry about the people that have lost the ability to differentiate betwwen subtle (bland) flavours. In the old days, I was proud of the differentiation of my palate , not it's tolerance to extremities

SC

• Like 1

I worry about the people that have lost the ability to differentiate betwwen subtle (bland) flavours. In the old days, I was proud of the differentiation of my palate , not it's tolerance to extremities

SC

You want something to worry about? Taste buds fade as people age.