I've gained 5kgs and want to lose it ASAP :(

kirstymelb101

Starch is important to satiate hunger and give the feeling of fullness so I don't eat too much. My favorite is the sweet potato partly because of its anti-inflammatory rating,

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2667/2

However, other veggies may be a better choice for those looking for starch veggies available in Thailand. Here is a 20 page list of the most nutrient dense satisfying foods in terms of the feeling of fullness (list starts around mid page so scroll down).

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000997000000000000000-1.html?

Edited by ronz28
  • Like 1

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exercise works in combination with diet to keep weight off.. Plenty of studies showing that (please counter)

Calorie counting does work and it gives you a great insight (please counter why not with reason and arguments)

Exercise can work in combination with diet to increase your weight. Makes you hungrier. smile.png

You'll need to read this 10 times to overcome the mental block:

http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/

Calorie counting doesn't work long term because so few can possibly keep it up and your body may simply adjust to having fewer calories and keeping the fat on anyway. (True, Auschwitz prisoners lost weight thru calorie restriction--I'll give an extreme example before you can beat me to it.) Besides, one can lose weight w/o calorie counting by choosing the right foods. It's not the sheer number of calories: it's what your body does w/ the calories. Most TV members can't grasp what this really means.

My daily routine -

Wake up 5am - Run 3ks in 30 mins / skip for 5 mins.

6am - Breakfast: bowl of cornflakes with banana and a teaspoon of sugar (I know I should cut the sugar but it's a must for me) sad.png

Oooh. A must?

Cornflakes, now, that's pretty luxurious for a Poor Woman, ain't it? And it's a problem.

Quick oatmeal: no. Muesli: no. Better: rolled/steel cut oats. Better still: oat bran. Best: eggs, veggies, fish, meat (leave on the fat). If you have to have starch, go cheap and better w/ cooked brown rice.

Sugar: Horrors! You ain't really serious at all. Butch up! Honey: no. Fruit: no. Gotta have sweet, use artificial sweetener. (No doubt this will push a forum hot button, but pay no mind.)

Jogging: but you're probably jogging on asphalt/concrete. Don't do much of it unless you're on ground. Otherwise, walk--alternate fast/slow. It won't do much to help weight loss, really, but it's something, and desirable for other reasons.

The veggies problem: buy them the day the fresh market opens, in the morning, then store them in a refrigerator (save up your cornflake money). Guide for how long various veggies will last in the fridge: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-store-fresh-vegetables.html. And you can simply freeze them for much longer periods: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/freezing-fresh-vegetables.html. Sorted!

And the suggestion for a garden was excellent, as you've recognized.

Substituting the veggies for the rice, noodles, bread, cornflakes, potatoes, etc. (starches) is extremely important. Veggies!

No beer. Need a drink, have a shot of Thai whiskey now and then. smile.png

Do the above and you'll painlessly lose that 5 kgs in no time without bothering to count a single calorie. Seen it done, can't fail. smile.png

A craving for rice is real, not imaginary. My wife really needs it everyday

Well, of course cravings are real until you do without long enough to get over the craving--a few weeks, for bad carbs.

It's like any other addiction. Gets worse the more you eat of them, too. Which leads to the point that fat people want to eat more of them because they're fat from eating them.

Good post. I have managed to lose 8Kg in the last 2 months by basicly doing what you are advocating above. Substituting wine for beer however

Edited by canman
  • Like 1

I'm not educated as some of you folks on the forum but I did manage to lose close to 10kg in last 5 months or so and am about 2-3kg from my initial target. I was inspired by (and observed) few people I know personally who managed to lose substantial weight and kept it off and I watched Fast Sick and Nearly Dead (juicing video).

What I did was to cut off some food that my common sense told me was "probably not too healthy for you". I have not had fast food (McD, Pizza Hut or KFC) or soda (I just orange fanta type of drink). I did buy a blender and a juicer and started to juice a bit. Almost everyday, I drink a cup of green apple/carrot juice during daytime and a shot of green apple/ginger juice in in the morning and evening. As far as juicing, I juice fruits (mostly grape, blueberry, orange and banana) or veggies (at least cucumber, celery, tomato - I know it's fruit and whatever looks good at the grocery store ... suprisingly kale is hard to find in Singapore!!!). I alternate between fruit and veggies but not together.

I eat normal breakfast (sometimes not too healthy as I'm munching on a muffin as I type) and lunch but I generally don't eat dinner (or very small portion) and sip juices in the evening. My lunches are generally healthy and my carb (rice) intake has been reduced to 50%. I usually eat my breakfast around 10am and my lunch around 2-3pm. Now I don't even get hungry in the evening that much (unless I'm very active in the evening in which case I will eat a bit). I just remember to be moderate on carb intake.

This has been working for me. I don't miss the fast food at all and I feel much better. My coffee intake has been reduced to less than one cup now.

I did all this without doing any sort of exercising ... which I know is bad. My company provides free gym membership and I promised myself to take advantage of this soon. As vain as it sounds, I'm not as shamed to be show up in the gym anymore as I'm fairly close to "normal" weight now. On the downside, I have to go buy a bunch of pants as they are all too big at this point.

• Like 1

Well done, you may not have the best diet in the world at this stage but it is at least helping you meet your objective of losing weight and you can always modify what you eat/drink as you go forward - others such as Rob and Tropo will be able to better steer you on some of the finer points of all this, but just a couple of points worth noting:

when I was 90kgs and having all manner of digestive and blood problems I knew almost nothing about metabolism etc and my diet was absolutely the worst, in the course of the following couple of months I shed close to 13 kilo's in a hurry and I didn't too much care whether it was fat or muscle that went, my weight was going to come down. I learned huge amounts from various forums and internet sites as the weeks ticked by and after three months it all started to make sence and my weight staibilised at its long term norm. I was then able to refine things until I got to where I am today which is way beyond my wildest expectations previously - my blood sugar and blood profile is near perfect and my diet is balanced and very clean and my wieght is optimal.

So it takes time and it doesn't matter too much where you start from or how you get there, I don't think there's necessarily a right and wrong way to go through that process, the important thing is that you arrive at the destination. So, when you say that you're not as educated as some on this forum, hah, you will be in a very short while, we've all been there and it's a great learning process.

Hang in there and keep doing what you're doing.

JT

Interesting for you by exercising you can actually make sure you get your metabolic rate back even after a crash diet

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2927298

Wow. One study in 1989. By a department of physical education. They couldn't possibly be biased. No siree. Five people. Bet the house on that one mate. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Jingthing

The fears of resetting your metabolic rate are really not that high, even with crash diets this is not something that happens easy.

So says who?

Look you've got your opinion. I get it.

But the MAINSTREAM scientific evidence says differently.

I do agree with you, however, that exercise is helpful.

Crash diets are a tempting way to lose weight fast, says Hensrud. But most experts agree that they're not worth the risk. Just one week of overly restrictive dieting can cause serious nutritional deficiencies, alter your metabolism, and undercut your emotional well-being. And most crash diets only set you up to regain the weight, since you haven't made any long-term lifestyle changes.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/diet/articles/2010/08/24/can-crash-diets-be-a-good-way-to-lose-weight

Edited by Jingthing

Ladies!

You know, there is a diversity of opinion so I think it's important that not only one side dominates the "information" dished out here. Ultimately, each individual needs to make up their own mind about what is the best plan for themselves.

Edited by Jingthing

Starch is important to satiate hunger and give the feeling of fullness so I don't eat too much. My favorite is the sweet potato partly because of its anti-inflammatory rating,

However, other veggies may be a better choice for those looking for starch veggies available in Thailand. Here is a 20 page list of the most nutrient dense satisfying foods in terms of the feeling of fullness (list starts around mid page so scroll down).

Starch is being demonized all over this forum. I'd like to give a bit of a shout out to Starch. biggrin.png Starch is the number one, most important food on the planet. If you could wave a magic wand and make all starch disappear overnight, billions of people would starve to death.

This planet would not be able to sustain it's population without starch. It's a compact form of glucose which makes up a large percentage of most people's diet all over the world. It's the very reason why human beings have become so successful at colonizing the planet.

People are saying "the body doesn't need starch". I think this should be edited to "the body can survive without starch". Just because we can survive without it, doesn't change the fact that it is a very valuable food. You can eat a plate of vegetables and meat without starchy vegetables but you will not be totally satisfied. I will be hungry quite soon after a plate of meat and vegetables if I don't incorporate some starch into that meal.

OK boys, I've taken the gloves off - let's have it.laugh.png

• Like 2

I'm with starch but less processed starch is so much better NUTRITION and and much less detrimental to health impact. Again with the brown rice / whole grain bread, etc. thing, but it's real. Not easy though. I sure wish restaurants served brown rice as an option. Yes I know doesn't taste as nice especially if you're used to white rice, but maybe broccoli doesn't taste as nice as Big Mac, but that doesn't make broccoli nasty either.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

You know, there is a diversity of opinion so I think it's important that not only one side dominates the "information" dished out here. Ultimately, each individual needs to make up their own mind about what is the best plan for themselves.

So let the thread be diverse and let others present their point of view.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but any valid points you might have in your posts are diluted by number of posts you make. For me, I can't stand 1) people who seem to participate in almost all threads and 2) people who seem to "take over" other people's thread by posting too much.

This is a good thread and a lot of good information but I don't see why you need to be #1 poster in thread (by far!).

Starch is being demonized all over this forum. I'd like to give a bit of a shout out to Starch. biggrin.png Starch is the number one, most important food on the planet. If you could wave a magic wand and make all starch disappear overnight, billions of people would starve to death.

This planet would not be able to sustain it's population without starch. It's a compact form of glucose which makes up a large percentage of most people's diet all over the world. It's the very reason why human beings have become so successful at colonizing the planet.

People are saying "the body doesn't need starch". I think this should be edited to "the body can survive without starch". Just because we can survive without it, doesn't change the fact that it is a very valuable food. You can eat a plate of vegetables and meat without starchy vegetables but you will not be totally satisfied. I will be hungry quite soon after a plate of meat and vegetables if I don't incorporate some starch into that meal.

I don't have a problem with starch. I eat it as do most people and you can eat starch and still maintain a healthy body weight.

As long as you eat sensibly you should be able to eat everything and that includes chocolates, drinks, soft drinks, cakes etc as long as 80 percent of you diet is good and your portion sizes are not too big the other stuff should be manageable.

We shouldn't completely underestimate the exercise thing thou.

People these days are so sedentary that they even consider going for a walk for half an hour as exercise <deleted>. That is just normal daily activity in my books and doesn't really make it as exercise. People really need to move more and do more.

And for the record there is quite a lot of research that says that you are better off being a bit overweight and fit and active than the other way around.

Activity and fitness can undo a lot of bad habits. So get moving!

• Like 2

So let the thread be diverse and let others present their point of view.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but any valid points you might have in your posts are diluted by number of posts you make. For me, I can't stand 1) people who seem to participate in almost all threads and 2) people who seem to "take over" other people's thread by posting too much.

This is a good thread and a lot of good information but I don't see why you need to be #1 poster in thread (by far!).

LOL. You're going to get it when JT comes back online.hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

LOL. You're going to get it when JT comes back online.hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

No worries. I'm happy to let that rant stand on its own. Not worthy of any response. I'm sure the poster enjoyed himself. Wouldn't want to spoil his fun.

Edited by Jingthing

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I didn't know where to put this, so here will do....

Right now I'm in the Philippines where the majority of most people's daily diet is white rice (not fully refined but still white).

I got quite a shock actually. I decided to check my wife's father's and mother's blood sugar and 2 of her sisters. I was afraid to take readings in case I discovered they were diabetic.

Her father (49) eats a huge plate full of rice with every meal (they all do). I'm talking about a mountain of rice. Fasting blood sugar was mid 90's. His 1 hour postprandial was 85 mg/dl (after a gigantic plate of rice and potatoes. Her mother (47) and sisters wake up with FBS's in the 80's. Her mother has a higher postprandial readings but lower FBS than her father, but still under 120 mg/dl 1 hour after a huge plate of rice.

They all love sugar too and consume quite a bit of refined sugar when available including Pepsi.

I'm not trying to prove anything here as this is only a small sample base, but its food for thought. Perhaps white rice is not the demon its made out to be.

Edited by tropo

Banana island was created by Dr. Doug Graham, the author of The 80/10/10 Diet. BI is a cleansing diet, great for those looking to lose weight, gain mental clarity, look and feel younger and healthier, and simply regain their health and get back on track! You can learn more about banana island by clicking here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. Here is a video of Doug Graham explaining banana island.

Avoiding any carbo and sugar will help, and also any red or pork meat. Chicken whites without skin, and fish are OK. Getting a big breakfast helps to no eat too much during the day. Fruits and beggies are very good to lose weight. Fruits because the sugar content is natural and cuts the appetite. Veggies are the best food if you can totally avoid meats. Also, eating small but very many times during the day keep the body burning fat, but stop eating at leats 3 hours before bed time is mandatory.

Exercise it is very important, just a light one hour walking after breakfast or dinner will do it. Bicycicling is good too. But...extreme exercising, like weights, running belts, etc,, do not help in losing weight, Will keep or increase the weight, but building muscle mass. Best exercise...sex.

Coffee increases weight because contains caffeine, stimulating the production of insuline and fixing fats. Sodas are the worst in that. Beer contains a lot of carbs. Alcohol do not help in losing weight. A goodt drink to lose weight is green tea. Anyway, at least 3 liters of water a day, is the best.

You still in a good age to get into diet and exercise. After 60, good diet, and good exercise, do not lose weight. Just keep the hope.

Edited by umbanda

Avoiding any carbo and sugar will help, and also any red or pork meat. Chicken whites without skin, and fish are OK. Getting a big breakfast helps to no eat too much during the day. Fruits and beggies are very good to lose weight. Fruits because the sugar content is natural and cuts the appetite. Veggies are the best food if you can totally avoid meats. Also, eating small but very many times during the day keep the body burning fat, but stop eating at leats 3 hours before bed time is mandatory.

Exercise it is very important, just a light one hour walking after breakfast or dinner will do it. Bicycicling is good too. But...extreme exercising, like weights, running belts, etc,, do not help in losing weight, Will keep or increase the weight, but building muscle mass. Best exercise...sex.

Coffee increases weight because contains caffeine, stimulating the production of insuline and fixing fats. Sodas are the worst in that. Beer contains a lot of carbs. Alcohol do not help in losing weight. A goodt drink to lose weight is green tea. Anyway, at least 3 liters of water a day, is the best.

You still in a good age to get into diet and exercise. After 60, good diet, and good exercise, do not lose weight. Just keep the hope.

I lost over 20 kg by avoiding carbs and eating meat......Caffeine supports weight loose.

I ate only late diner and sometimes more when I woke up in the night.....

Heavy weight exercise helps a lot...On the scale you won't loose too much weight. But you loose fat and build heavier muscles. In fact people want to be slim not light, so the scale isn't the perfect thing to measure progress.

If you avoid carbs and red and pork meat and only eat chicken without skin, it is good to loose 20-30 kg fast but too extreme for 5kg.

Look you can eat meat and still maintain a perfectly good body weight.

In fact not eating meat can cause more problems long term in many people.

Everybody is different and some people thrive on a meat diet while others do better on a vegie diet.

You need to eat to suit your metabolic type which is inherited from your ancestors.

All of my family were very thin and we all ate a high meat diet when we were kids in Australia and so were the majority of kids in the neighbourhood.

More activity and no take away meals because there was no maccas or KFC or anything much else in those days.

Cut out the rubbish and keep the activity high and you should invariably stay a good body weight.

Banana island was created by Dr. Doug Graham, the author of The 80/10/10 Diet. BI is a cleansing diet, great for those looking to lose weight, gain mental clarity, look and feel younger and healthier, and simply regain their health and get back on track! You can learn more about banana island by clicking here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. Here is a video of Doug Graham explaining banana island.

thats just dangerous advice .... 80/10/10 = 80% fruit , 10% protein and 10% fat .... and if your a diabetic you will die !!! watched the you tube what a laugh ...

an easier way is just drink water for 7 days ... you will lose 5 kgs but you will not die either ... lol ..following the BI diet is HIGH Risk ...

the key is to control the Appestat ...( the area of the brain the controls hunger) try this experiment ... for one week ..when your hungry take a teaspoon of organic flaxseed oil first before you eat .......

thats just dangerous advice .... 80/10/10 = 80% fruit , 10% protein and 10% fat .... and if your a diabetic you will die !!! watched the you tube what a laugh ...

an easier way is just drink water for 7 days ... you will lose 5 kgs but you will not die either ... lol ..following the BI diet is HIGH Risk ...

the key is to control the Appestat ...( the area of the brain the controls hunger) try this experiment ... for one week ..when your hungry take a teaspoon of organic flaxseed oil first before you eat .......

Wrong

You misunderstood.

80/10/10 does NOT stand for 80% fruits / 10% protein / 10% fat

80/10/10 is 80% CARBS 10% protein / 10% fat

Wrong again: It is the best diet for a diabetic;Diabetic can cure diabetes one or two in one month on 80/10/10.

i clicked on the clip you posted to listen to the guru , he clearly says eating one fruit ......enough for me to laugh out loud ...

no the banana island diet is def not the best diet for a diabetic ...the best diet for a diabetic is a ketogenic diet ...

the guy is a crackpot spiritual healer with his hand firmly on the banana ....

next you will tell me being a vegan is healthy !!!

i clicked on the clip you posted to listen to the guru , he clearly says eating one fruit ......enough for me to laugh out loud ...

no the banana island diet is def not the best diet for a diabetic ...the best diet for a diabetic is a ketogenic diet ...

the guy is a crackpot spiritual healer with his hand firmly on the banana ....

next you will tell me being a vegan is healthy !!!

Again you are mixing up 2 things

- 80/10/10

- Banana Island

And the documentary shows clearly with blood tests proofs, a group of diabetics 1 and 2 curing diabetes in 30 days.

go to your original post, click on the 80/10/10 takes you to a youtube clip ...tell me what he says in that clip .....i dont even want to look at the other clip you posted ...

answer again ....KETOGENIC DIET ..... is the best long term cure for diabetics ...

• Like 1

go to your original post, click on the 80/10/10 takes you to a youtube clip ...tell me what he says in that clip .....i dont even want to look at the other clip you posted ...

answer again ....KETOGENIC DIET ..... is the best long term cure for diabetics ...

It's up to you if you don't want to get better.

No ones forces you.

Your funeral.