Thai opposition MPs in parliament brawl with police

webfact

Your countless 'evil will come' diatribes used to be comical.  Now, they're just tiresome.

No more Kool-Aid, please!

Are they tiresome because they are becoming all to true...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone once said that people get EXACTLY the government they deserve, no more no less. It would appear

the Thai people are about to get a graphic lesson in this concept. I know in Thailand the link between

action and consequences is poorly understood, but hopefully in the future the red buffaloes who got their

500 baht for voting in Thaksin puppets will feel a sense of betrayal and sadness.

And as one poster noted, the red supporters on TV have become awfully quiet as the country marches towards

a dictatorship. 100 police at a parliament meeting ?? Guess the people in power knew trouble was coming.

Wonder what the police forces are at a meeting of Congress in America . Two sleepy security guards ??

Once again false information.

%52 did not want this government.

the PTP got only %48 of the vote.

Much paid for as was in the other parties.

How ever of the %48 who did vote PTP I would wager a good percentage thought they were getting Yingluck. More than likley less than half but still a small minority that voted for what they got.

Thaksin.

Yeah of course they didn;t know, every single one of those took 500 baht to vote and if they had been reading Thai visa they would know that RED SHIRTS= Thaksin!anyway 48% is a pretty large number. In Thai politics, rather than needing majorities, it is down to plurality and 48% is a huge amount only 2% away from an absolute majority.

WOW 500 for every voter at 48% of a population of 40 Million voters; this equates to about 180 Million GBP

Edited by britinthai

What on earth are police doing in parliament????

You would be surprised on how many police are at had in the UK parliament; with guns.

With respect mate, a touch misleading. The guns you are talking about are pointing outwards, in close protection of all the Lords and MPs irrespective of colour, and,of course, the 360 degree physical security of the property,

Someone once said that people get EXACTLY the government they deserve, no more no less. It would appear

the Thai people are about to get a graphic lesson in this concept. I know in Thailand the link between

action and consequences is poorly understood, but hopefully in the future the red buffaloes who got their

500 baht for voting in Thaksin puppets will feel a sense of betrayal and sadness.

And as one poster noted, the red supporters on TV have become awfully quiet as the country marches towards

a dictatorship. 100 police at a parliament meeting ?? Guess the people in power knew trouble was coming.

Wonder what the police forces are at a meeting of Congress in America . Two sleepy security guards ??

How ever of the %48 who did vote PTP I would wager a good percentage thought they were getting Yingluck. More than likley less than half but still a small minority that voted for what they got.

Thaksin.

Yeah of course they didn;t know, every single one of those took 500 baht to vote and if they had been reading Thai visa they would know that RED SHIRTS= Thaksin!anyway 48% is a pretty large number. In Thai politics, rather than needing majorities, it is down to plurality and 48% is a huge amount only 2% away from an absolute majority.

WOW 500 for every voter at 48% of a population of 40 Million voters; this equates to about 180 Million GBP

much less than 40 m voted. fraud, lack of education, bribes, and the vast population of Isarn intimidated by village heads, influenced by neighbors explains why the PTP results

Edited by gemini81

You would be surprised on how many police are at had in the UK parliament; with guns.

With respect mate, a touch misleading. The guns you are talking about are pointing outwards, in close protection of all the Lords and MPs irrespective of colour, and,of course, the 360 degree physical security of the property,

Nothing misleading there are police attendance in all Parliaments and they all have guns - pointing in or out they are there. If there was a disturbance they would not run back to the gun cabinet (No pun intended) to lock away the gun just so they can run back to the matter at hand (I'm thinking of the key stone cops here)

Edited by britinthai

Compared to Taiwan or S. Korea this was handbags & paper darts.

It's not the first time that Somsak has stifled debate by the Democrats. Ordering the police to remove them was absolutely stupid.

Well I suppose that if they are prevented from expressing their point of view in a debate they may as well take to the streets. There seems to be very few real democrats on the PTP side - the sort that might allow some opposition debate near to what the ruling party are allowed.

Having said that, I don't think it is the end of 'democracy' in Thailand or anything as dramatic. No, it's not even the start of real democracy which has never been achieved here yet but it is another example of 'we were elected so we can do what we like' that permeates the Thaksin-run PTP.

When PTP can hold a debate with the Democrats, freely and without being told what to do & say by the big boss, that would be a start. No democratic political party can be called such if it is not allowed to make collective decisions.

Nothing misleading there are police attendance in all Parliaments and they all have guns - pointing in or out they are there. If there was a disturbance they would not run back to the gun cabinet (No pun intended) to lock away the gun just so they can run back to the matter at hand (I'm thinking of the key stone cops here)

But the key difference with the police with guns in the British parilament, my little red shirted friend, is that said police and not under the control or instruction of the the speaker of the house and would not be called upon to clear the house of commons if the opposition stood up and "Booed"

as "Iancnx" has stated the guns are pointing outwards, they are not charged with maintaining/invoking parilamentary "disipline"

• Like 2

It's not the first time that Somsak has stifled debate by the Democrats. Ordering the police to remove them was absolutely stupid.

Well I suppose that if they are prevented from expressing their point of view in a debate they may as well take to the streets. There seems to be very few real democrats on the PTP side - the sort that might allow some opposition debate near to what the ruling party are allowed.

Having said that, I don't think it is the end of 'democracy' in Thailand or anything as dramatic. No, it's not even the start of real democracy which has never been achieved here yet but it is another example of 'we were elected so we can do what we like' that permeates the Thaksin-run PTP.

When PTP can hold a debate with the Democrats, freely and without being told what to do & say by the big boss, that would be a start. No democratic political party can be called such if it is not allowed to make collective decisions.

So 57 members of parliament standing and voicing displeasure simultaneously is proper debate. I think any house speaker anywhere in the world would need to restore order in the same circumstances. And that according to you is expressing there view and debating???

So 57 members of parliament standing and voicing displeasure simultaneously is proper debate. I think any house speaker anywhere in the world would need to restore order in the same circumstances. And that according to you is expressing there view and debating???

you have never watched British parlimentary debates ?... people are getting "booed" and heckled all the time, but dont believed there has ever been a case of the speaker of the house calling in the storm troopers to restore order because someone got "booed"....so seeing as the British parliament is one of the oldest in the world...one could say yes this is proper debate and part of the parliamentary system...thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

about the proposals, which would

"change the senate to a fully elected body."

The plans are part of a contentious bid to

"amend a constitution written in the wake of a 2006 military coup...".

Whats wrong with that.....?

Luv-a-duck......lot of posters been out in the sun recently without their panamas......

Democrats .....my glut max ....they wouldn't understand democracy if it smacked them in the face with a 3 day old devilled kipper.....and .....noticed "old Thuggi" doing his Mike Tyson impersonation..........Tie a knot in it....

Go ...PT....

you have never watched British parlimentary debates ?... people are getting "booed" and heckled all the time, but dont believed there has ever been a case of the speaker of the house calling in the storm troopers to restore order because someone got "booed"....so seeing as the British parliament is one of the oldest in the world...one could say yes this is proper debate and part of the parliamentary system...thumbsup.gif

From the article the people refused to be silenced. What do you want the speaker to do if people refuse to behave? Adjourn? Yeah that would set a great precedent. There is one thing opposing vocally or however, but surely quite another after voicing displeasure refusing to quieten down to allow the session to continue.

Neither the Op or I have said that 57 standing up is proper debate. Read & digest - don't twist.

The 57 were standing up as a protest against debate being stifled. Fauz debate is alive & well in both the local parliament and on Thaivisa it seems.

Thai style democracy:

A debate about replacing appointed senators with all elected was disrupted by a group of 57 Thai mps standing up and shouting together when their attempt at filibustering to prevent the passage of the bill had been thwarted by the speaker.

In Westminster the Sargent at arms would be called to clear the chamber. Here the police.

Most people will see this for what this is and it won't help the dems.

For sure their antics were all orchestrated.

Neither the Op or I have said that 57 standing up is proper debate. Read & digest - don't twist.

The 57 were standing up as a protest against debate being stifled. Fauz debate is alive & well in both the local parliament and on Thaivisa it seems.

You said that the speaker is stifling debate- and i said 57 people simultaneously voicing displeasure and refusing to be silenced is not debate? You agree or am I missing something The 57 were not standing up voicing displeasure about a lack of debate, they were 'debating' Democrat style about plans to amend the constitution according to the OP, second paragraph i think. I can quote and highlight if you want?

It must be obvious to even the most simple minded what went on here.

Quote:

"To cut short the debate, which did not go anywhere in the morning, Somsak, who had taken the chairmanship in the afternoon, said he would allow only two representatives from the government and opposition MPs and senators to speak before voting. Following protests from the floor, he called for voting. The meeting voted 339:15 against the 57 speaking."

So 339:15votes against and yet the 57 stood to speak?

Only 15 votes to speak.

6 speakers were to be allowed. Already half the day had gone with no progress.

Obviously the rules don't apply to the dems. They're above politics really in the blue sky looking down

Thaksin.

much less than 40 m voted. fraud, lack of education, bribes, and the vast population of Isarn intimidated by village heads, influenced by neighbors explains why the PTP results

I'm always impressed by the lengths people will go to question the mandate the PTP received in the last election. Always the same questionable assertions: people were too stupid to vote for the "right party", they were intimidated into voting for the "wrong party", and/or their votes were bought. Opinion polls continue to put the PTP ahead of the Dems, which basically nullifies the second two "explanations" (or are people bribed and intimidated during opinion polls as well??). That leaves the first, offensive, "explanation"... which is that the people are too ignorant to know what is good for them. That's some sound democratic (and Democratic) thinking! Or put another way, "those people must be stupid because they like a party that I don't like".

• Like 1

You said that the speaker is stifling debate- and i said 57 people simultaneously voicing displeasure and refusing to be silenced is not debate? You agree or am I missing something The 57 were not standing up voicing displeasure about a lack of debate, they were 'debating' Democrat style about plans to amend the constitution according to the OP, second paragraph i think. I can quote and highlight if you want?

Now you've got your knickers totally in a twist.

You are contradicting yourself. First it's not a debate & then it is.

The PTP were debating a constitutional amendment but the speaker refused to allow similar numbers of speakers from the opposition. Is that too difficult for you to understand?

When a speaker behaves (under instructions) like a petty Hitler & not for the first time, it's not surprising that those suppressed will protest. It's not as if they burned the place down.

• Like 1

Quote:

"To cut short the debate, which did not go anywhere in the morning, Somsak, who had taken the chairmanship in the afternoon, said he would allow only two representatives from the government and opposition MPs and senators to speak before voting. Following protests from the floor, he called for voting. The meeting voted 339:15 against the 57 speaking."

Only 15 votes to speak.

Obviously the rules don't apply to the dems. They're above politics really in the blue sky looking down

It's always nice to hear the opinion of the most simple minded. Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

Television images showed politicians surrounded by police and grappling with them as they were marched towards the exit of the chamber, while screams were heard in the background

Nipit, who said there were some 100 police in parliament at the time

Ah democracy and free speech in action, why 100 police in parliament chamber at the time.....Yingluks stormtrooper in action

Why do I have a sad feeling Thailand headed towards another round of violence in the streets

I was wondering if Thaksin had a hard time figuring out whether to use his red shirt goons or BIB to silence the opposition.

It's what's known as,Being spoilt for choice!

Your countless 'evil will come' diatribes used to be comical. Now, they're just tiresome.

Would you care to list all the other 'countless' 'evil will come' posts'.

The only thing that is tiresome is people like you, who clearly find the difficulty of drawing breath an effort, stating that you find posts 'tiresome' when you contribute zero to any discussion. Why do you actually come on this site? Go travel up North and you can sit and listen to red radio all day and talk with people of a similar intellect on the challenges that will be faced in bathing your buffalo today. You can sit in ignorant bliss planning the return of the messiah. Until then, if you wish to censor what subject matter people can discuss then clear off to a more appropriate site that will fulfill your desires for a population that speaks within Government defined parameters. If you are unable to consider the current moves by the Government and determine the potentially dire consequences of those movements then I think it is you that is on the kool aid.

Television images showed politicians surrounded by police and grappling with them as they were marched towards the exit of the chamber, while screams were heard in the background

Ah democracy and free speech in action, why 100 police in parliament chamber at the time.....Yingluks stormtrooper in action

Why do I have a sad feeling Thailand headed towards another round of violence in the streets

I was wondering if Thaksin had a hard time figuring out whether to use his red shirt goons or BIB to silence the opposition.

Its nice to have a leader who commands the respect of the police force to get the job done.

Wasn't there a former promise that any constitutional-changes like these would be put to a referendum, rather than simply rushed/forced through parliament, like this ?

Forgive me if I've missed something, I've been away overseas quite a lot, over the past few months. wai2.gif

• Like 1

That's to prevent the the House of Commons becoming a Terrorist Target,not to prevent the MPs from fighting!

Quote:

Only 15 votes to speak.

It's always nice to hear the opinion of the most simple minded. Keep up the good work.

and if that's the level of your argument...

Its nice to have a leader who commands the respect of the police force to get the job done.

I think you need to improve on your Trolling technique!

Your countless 'evil will come' diatribes used to be comical. Now, they're just tiresome.

Would you care to list all the other 'countless' 'evil will come' posts'.

The only thing that is tiresome is people like you, who clearly find the difficulty of drawing breath an effort, stating that you find posts 'tiresome' when you contribute zero to any discussion. Why do you actually come on this site? Go travel up North and you can sit and listen to red radio all day and talk with people of a similar intellect on the challenges that will be faced in bathing your buffalo today. You can sit in ignorant bliss planning the return of the messiah. Until then, if you wish to censor what subject matter people can discuss then clear off to a more appropriate site that will fulfill your desires for a population that speaks within Government defined parameters. If you are unable to consider the current moves by the Government and determine the potentially dire consequences of those movements then I think it is you that is on the kool aid.

"Potentially dire"

So there is still some hope at least

• Like 1

Wasn't there a former promise that any constitutional-changes like these would be put to a referendum, rather than simply rushed/forced through parliament, like this ?

Forgive me if I've missed something, I've been away overseas quite a lot, over the past few months. wai2.gif

No worries, so has the PM thumbsup.gif

• Like 2