Recommendation for 'real' Thai massage

athousand

Hi all,

I've got a long term chronic health condition and have found that Thai massage is one of the few things tgat really helps. My first experience was as as a student in one of the places on rhe Khao San road over twenty years ago. I've been back pretty much every year sunce but found that the quality has been going downhill. Last year I went back to Khao San but couldn't find any of the places I remembered ( they were huge, spread over several floors, and had many men doing the massages).

Since then I've been trying to find the same quality or 'realness' ( I remember a lot of 'acrobatics' ) but without any luck.

What I'm looking for is a massage place where the masseur/masseuse is really paying attention and showing sensitivity (and adjusting what they are doing accordingly) based on how your body is responding. It may be rise tinted, but I remember coming across many 'artists' many years ago (mostly older folk both male and female) who were obvioisly real experts.

I'm in Thailand now yet again hoping to find some of these experts but am at a bit of a loss. I'm currently in Phuket and have cone to the conclusion that this ia probably not the right place. I've so far tried (over the years - Bangkok and Samui). Ideally I'd like to find a fairly relaxed /easy place to be and am eilling to spen several months there.

I have such strong memories of my early experiences of 'real' Thai massage but wonder now whether I've been imagining it. Most of the time these days my experience is of going through the motions. At best it has been of the masseur/masseuse really trying to help but doing so simply by digging their elbows in hard!

Does anyone know of any real experts/artists who seem to know just what move to do, hust how much pressure to apply?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I'll be taking them very seriously indeed- to the piloint of relocating there for several months!

al

What's your budget?

Years ago, I had a good experience in Pattaya at a more casual spa employed by blind people. It was around 120 baht.

Recently I had a decent massage at Healthland in Bangkok. It's much more formal (being a proper spa) and costs more.

I too have been using Thai massage for a long time. I am not an expert but I have had a lot of massage over the years and can tell when the person is not doing a good job.

It's very hit-and-miss I'm afraid and over the years I have just had to try several in my area and stick with a good masseur/masseuse when I find one. Price is also not a good indicator.

About 3 years ago I found an older man on Koh Phangan who had been working for the Thai Army boxing team for many years and he was fantastic; if I retire I am going back to him :-)

Healthland has consistently been good and you can usually find a good English-speaker there who can help you find the right masseur/masseuse for you. I have found healthland to be expensive in some locations but in places like Pattaya, it's really good value.

Make sure you do 2 hours; it gives the masseur/masseuse sufficient time to work each area properly.

Best wishes; hope you find what you need.

See this thread for one suggestion http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649760-massage/?p=6691870&hl=%2Bmassage

The "Health;and" chain is usually pretty good

For inexpensive and always well trained therapeutic Thai massage, believe it or not your local government Health Center or Hospital is a good bet. They all offer it and are used to dealing with people with specific health issuers.

Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated and exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I think Bangkok looks like the best bet at the moment. I can't wait to try the one in the linked topic!

Any more suggestions will be gratefully received:)

Will post updates as I try these places out on my massage odyssey:)

As Sheryl said earlier

"For inexpensive and always well trained therapeutic Thai massage, believe it or not your local government Health Center or Hospital is a good bet. They all offer it and are used to dealing with people with specific health issuers."

Uhm well...there is a great Thai massage place on Ramkhamhaeng 52/1.

It doesn't look like much (just a normal massage shop), but both the sisters who run the place (alternatively, while the other one goes abroad to massage in 5 star hotels in Hong Kong and KL) are really professional. They seem to have a real understanding of muscle groups and are very intricate.

I have had more Thai massages than i care to remember and these two sister top the list by miles!

They charge a normal rate (150 baht per hour), but are worth trying! I am a bit picky with massage cos i know how varied the quality can be, but i highly recommend them nonetheless.

The other staff who work there are ok. I expect to be there tomorrow, so i will try to get the names of the sisters (i forgot already) so you know who to ask for if you go (i only recommend them)

It is the only massage shop on that street (to my knowledge). It's just on the left hand side of the soi, not far from the main road. (you will probably see the sign from the main road).

They are very strong, i don't know much about correct pressure (maybe they do) - i just know they give a good massage and seem to be very receptive when they hit a problem area on my body.

Hope you can try them!