Tipping in Thailand

White Christmas13

I was in pub in BKK last night and the table next to us was reserved. A farang walks in and every staff member in the bar comes over and wai's him within a few moments. Thought OK must be a regular here or something. So he's sitting drinking his beer and every time a waiter or waitress walks past him whether they are serving him or not he slips them a wad of folded up notes. I could see just the 100B note on the outside but there were more inside too. He was doing this every few minutes for the next hour I was there. Thousands of baht in tips were handed out.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By all means don't tip any Thai person. We don't want those Thai workers earning 300 baht a day to get uppity ideas that they are worth any more and as good as us. Just bicker and haggle over every baht, and pick up those fallen satangs off the street.

What a horrendously racist rant.

Shame on you!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I thought my sarcasm was obvious. I guess not. Some people are thicker than I thought.

a funny story,

few years ago, i did go dinner with few 6 thais friends and 2 another americans friends.

We know each others for many years, and all of them have great job.

One of my thai friend, Khun W. is quite sucessful and wealthy. So he invited all of us to a nice restaurant.

At the end of the dinner Khun W checked the bills. The waiter bring him his change.

And because i was looking at him, because of the 2 anothers US guy were there also, i dont know why, but he felt obliged

to do like caucasian people, he felt obliged to give a tip.

You should have seen his face, it was like he was suffocating when he give 100 baht tip to the waiter who was bowed down.

By the way the total bill for the night was nearly 20 K baht.

(over-)Tipping is the most stupid thing that tourist do in Thailand, trust me.thumbsup.gif

Great story, Bender, thanks. I've met a few people in Canada who were exactly the same. I don't think Thailand has an exclusive on tightwads.

By all means don't tip any Thai person. We don't want those Thai workers earning 300 baht a day to get uppity ideas that they are worth any more and as good as us. Just bicker and haggle over every baht, and pick up those fallen satangs off the street.

Shame on you!

I notice some comments travel at an extremely high altitude over some people's heads.

Or is this a funny reply to the sarcasm I think it was meant to be. Oh dear...............sad.png

Hmmm.....the double entendre - leaves many of us in rather a quandary, what??

If restaurant adds a service charge then I don't tip other then maybe the small change. Otherwise around 20 to 30 bhat is fair. I was recently in the USA for a few months and I noticed in many places they had "tip jars" on the counter. Places like bakeries, Starbucks.

If restaurant adds a service charge then I don't tip other then maybe the small change. Otherwise around 20 to 30 bhat is fair. I was recently in the USA for a few months and I noticed in many places they had "tip jars" on the counter. Places like bakeries, Starbucks.

If  restaurant adds a service charge then I don't tip other then maybe the small change.     Otherwise around 20 to 30 bhat is fair.   I was recently in the USA for a few months and I noticed in many places they had "tip jars" on the counter.   Places like bakeries, Starbucks.

Even in quiet bars in NY the staff will straight out ignore you after your first drink if you don't give them a tip.

Even in quiet bars in NY the staff will straight out ignore you after your first drink if you don't give them a tip.

... and that's the rub ... the Yanks are the basic cause of the problem because it's intrinsic in your service industry to tip because of the low wages paid in the service industry in the USA.

That mentality has rubbed off in Thailand.

In Japan, they are actually offended if you try and tip the wait staff, taxi driver etc.

What does piss me off are the guys who offer the big tips and that then sets a precedent for those Farang who follow.

We wonder sometimes why we white folk are singled out for special attention ... tipping is just one of the infections that has been spread in Thailand.

Before you Yanks get on your high horse ... yes I do tip ... but it varies on the circumstance.

BTW ... not having a go at our American Cousins ... I lived in the States for 6 months ... just an observation of one custom being introduced to another culture to the detriment of others.

Edited by David48
  • Like 2

By all means don't tip any Thai person. We don't want those Thai workers earning 300 baht a day to get uppity ideas that they are worth any more and as good as us. Just bicker and haggle over every baht, and pick up those fallen satangs off the street.

Shame on you!

I thought my sarcasm was obvious. I guess not. Some people are thicker than I thought.

Apparently so it appears.

So if I say I tip to much I am bad If I say I don't tip at all I am bad also

Just for example I get a haircut done that price is 30 bath but the

hairdresser is really good and I pay him 50 bath is that wrong?

I've spoken to many barbers and some have said that they are offended when farang leave a large tip. I'm sick of the times I've gone into barbers near hotels and they don't shave or say something like, "you won't be wanting a ahave", to which I reply, "of course I want a shave, why on earth would I not?".

Farangs giving tips re IMHO, the cause of this. I bet some here would even give a tip when NOT getting a shave, which is, of course, included in the price.

I think many farang have people-pleasing problems.

Some hard-working Thai people have pride.

Some farang haven't a clue about who and how much is a tip.

How many tip the dentist or the minimum wage 7/11 worker? If not, why tip the barber?

Golf caddies are often terrible as they expect a tip whatever their serviceis like from a farang. I gave one a tip of 70 baht once as she was awful, answering her phone while I was putting, talking derogatory to my playing partners as they didn't understand Thai. They always gave 300+ baht tip when the round and green fee was only 200 baht. She asked me for more so I opened my wallet and asked for the 70 baht back and told her to **** off for being so rude.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

Here's a tipping question: Am I supposed to tip the baggers in supermarkets?

I know in many latin countries the baggers are basically unpaid volunteers, and their only wage is what people tip them. So people often give them their coin change.

I don't know if it's the same in Thailand.

Edited by razorramone

Often it goes to then owner anyway - which is annoying. I try and put it in their hand rather than on the dish, to be discreet (sometimes works I guess). I know this to be the fact even in some farang owned bars and restaurants here. I tip waiting staff if the service was at least OK - not if it is bad, then I make a point of collecting every last baht off the plate. Sometimes I'll tip tuktuk/taxi drivers if they have done me a good deed or that I've got away with driving them down to low (this always makes them real happy - knock them down from 200 baht to 100 late at night and then give them 150 - pennies to me, turns their view from cheap skate farang who won't be overcharged the regular to ah nice guy after all - and still save 50b :))

I bought my daughter some shoes on a stall the other day, the girls spent ages messing around with sizes and matching pairs up for us - the pair we chose were 199 baht so I gave her 200 and said keep the change - she adamantly wanted to give me back the 1 baht. Not insulted, just smiling and saying price is 199.

Once I got a flat tyre in my car - just had gone down (slow puncture). I managed to pull into a garage but one that didn't have the usual water/air hoses. I had a full tank, so wanted no petrol/gas. I explained the problem with a finger (pointing to the tyre) and he lead me, I drove very slowly while he walked, around the side of the station and brought out a compressed air unit and pumped it up for me gratis. It was a real fight to get the guy to accept 20baht tip - even though I was a passing "customer" that had bought nothing!

A friend yesterday, whilst joking with the bar maid asking for a tip, said "Don't eat yellow snow" - took me a good few minutes to explain for him - not sure if they got it as a joke though (even though I said it was :D)

So if I say I tip to much I am bad If I say I don't tip at all I am bad also

Just for example I get a haircut done that price is 30 bath but the

hairdresser is really good and I pay him 50 bath is that wrong?

I've spoken to many barbers and some have said that they are offended when farang leave a large tip. I'm sick of the times I've gone into barbers near hotels and they don't shave or say something like, "you won't be wanting a ahave", to which I reply, "of course I want a shave, why on earth would I not?".

Farangs giving tips re IMHO, the cause of this. I bet some here would even give a tip when NOT getting a shave, which is, of course, included in the price.

I think many farang have people-pleasing problems.

Some hard-working Thai people have pride.

Some farang haven't a clue about who and how much is a tip.

How many tip the dentist or the minimum wage 7/11 worker? If not, why tip the barber?

Golf caddies are often terrible as they expect a tip whatever their serviceis like from a farang. I gave one a tip of 70 baht once as she was awful, answering her phone while I was putting, talking derogatory to my playing partners as they didn't understand Thai. They always gave 300+ baht tip when the round and green fee was only 200 baht. She asked me for more so I opened my wallet and asked for the 70 baht back and told her to **** off for being so rude.

I don't use a barber (cut my own hair - have since late teens) but take my girls (daughters) for cut and blow dry at a good hairdressers once a month. I always tip the girls that do it - only 20baht - but they never ask or even wait for it (I give it to my girls to go up and give it to the girl/lady cutting her hair). I would not tip someone waiting hand out - its rude, so gets a rude response (being ignored) - they are very friendly and helpful to my girls though so I think they deserve it.

... What does piss me off are the guys who offer the big tips and that then sets a precedent for those Farang who follow...

Guilty as charged,

whistling.giftongue.png

Thanks for being honest.

Where that largesse works against us is sometimes in subtle ways.

When I used to stay in long term accommodation in outer Bangkok (eg outside the reach of the BTS), taxi's were the go.

I'd walk down to the street and if there some Thai folk waiting for a taxi ... I'd wait till they hailed a taxi then I would hail mine.

Sometimes, the taxi driver, seeing a Farang and assuming that they tip or tip bigger then the Thai, would bypass the Thai folk and drive to me. That embarrasses me and creates a little resentment with the Thais ... probably forgotten in 2 minutes when the next taxi arrives ... but it can add up.

Buying chicken skewers for 10 baht a go at Nana (many years honey if you are reading this), the guy infront of me ordered 6 = 60 Baht, gave the guy 100 Baht ... nah ... keep the change ... sure, only 40 Baht ... but that also was 40% tip.

It all comes back to us.

I simply let the Thai gf pay for the bill and note the tip given or not. She pays with my money ... but spends it as if it was money she earnt. If the tip is not given or is more then she would usually give in the circumstances ... she tells me ... it's an education process.

BTW ... I'm not trying to tell others what to do ... or not do ... everything is 'up to you' ... this is Thailand ... but do observe cause and effect ... ever wonder why we are singled out for special attention by the Thai Traffic cops... rolleyes.gif

I've spoken to many barbers and some have said that they are offended when farang leave a large tip. I'm sick...

and i am sick of people who try to insult my intelligence by claiming a barber (or anyone in the service business) considered a large tip an offence!

bah.gif

a funny story,

few years ago, i did go dinner with few 6 thais friends and 2 another americans friends.

We know each others for many years, and all of them have great job.

One of my thai friend, Khun W. is quite sucessful and wealthy. So he invited all of us to a nice restaurant.

At the end of the dinner Khun W checked the bills. The waiter bring him his change.

And because i was looking at him, because of the 2 anothers US guy were there also, i dont know why, but he felt obliged

to do like caucasian people, he felt obliged to give a tip.

You should have seen his face, it was like he was suffocating when he give 100 baht tip to the waiter who was bowed down.

By the way the total bill for the night was nearly 20 K baht.

(over-)Tipping is the most stupid thing that tourist do in Thailand, trust me.thumbsup.gif

I generally just give 20 baht or so if the service at a sit down, have some whiskey have some beers restaurant. (Little lunch diners, no). But a 20k bill, I would assume that meant a lot of service. That deserves a tip, especially if it ate up the waiter's time that could have been used on other tables.

• Like 1

Yeah, you can thank the National Restaurant Association for lobbying for all this, which is why workers in some states make as little as 2-3 dollars per hour (which barely covers taxes) and rely on tips. That is why the American system is what it is.

However, I find it hard to believe that the US tipping culture has affected Thailand that much. The Thais seem to have their eyes pointed more to the UK when they think of things Western (Not meaning that in a negative way, either. That just seems to be the first place Thais think of when they talk of the West). Might be wrong about this, but it just doesn't seem like the source of the phenomenon in Thailand, unless you mean in some area or venue that is predominantly frequented by Americans.....I would believe that.

... and that's the rub ... the Yanks are the basic cause of the problem because it's intrinsic in your service industry to tip because of the low wages paid in the service industry in the USA.

That mentality has rubbed off in Thailand.

In Japan, they are actually offended if you try and tip the wait staff, taxi driver etc.

What does piss me off are the guys who offer the big tips and that then sets a precedent for those Farang who follow.

We wonder sometimes why we white folk are singled out for special attention ... tipping is just one of the infections that has been spread in Thailand.

Before you Yanks get on your high horse ... yes I do tip ... but it varies on the circumstance.

BTW ... not having a go at our American Cousins ... I lived in the States for 6 months ... just an observation of one custom being introduced to another culture to the detriment of others.

I've spoken to many barbers and some have said that they are offended when farang leave a large tip. I'm sick...

and i am sick of people who try to insult my intelligence by claiming a barber (or anyone in the service business) considered a large tip an offence!

bah.gif

As you don't speak Thai how do you know? Intelligent people can learn the language in the country they've lived in for for a few years. Edited by Neeranam

bah.gif

As you don't speak Thai how do you know? Intelligent people can learn the language in the country they've lived in for for a few years.

no need to be above average intelligent and no need to speak the local language to recognise bullsh*t when bullsh*t is presented.

the fact that i am able to converse fluently in more than half a dozen languages does not mean i have to learn an additional language to communicate with my [lady]barber. she's not interested in the topics i am interested and vice versa. her "shampoooo, clippa numba four, shav beaad?" and my "yes" is sufficient conversation.

her smile when i arrive and her wai when i pay and tip her (very generously) speak positive volumes. those same positive reactions i have experienced not only in Thailand but on a global scale a "zillion" times.

I think the question needs to, one day (hopefully), become "why doesn't the proprietor of the business take care of his employees?" I think it is yet another example of how the influential members of society have once again "tipped" the scales in their favor. Why in the world do we pay, why wouldn't the business just take care of it. Screw tipping, especially here in Thailand.

So, how much should one tip if you only pay 60 bt for a beer?

20 bt seems a bit too high.

I can see 20 bt for a 250 bt massage, but 20bt for a US$2.00 beer?

I mean, how GOOD can the service be?

What about more than one beer, say 5 beers, Don't Americans tip around 15%, I'm saying Americans because you used the $2 dollar price for A beer, I don't think a 20 baht tip is extreme if the service has been good..Only 40p UK to me and I always have more than one beer, can't help myself...

Anyway a little story, In Pattaya near to top of Soi Diane last November sat in Family bar, hotel above to the side of LK Metropole, 5 English guys who I've seen around over the years in their late 50's to early 60's, dress really smart for the norm of Pattaya, always trousers and smart shirt, shoes etc, talking to them you'd think they were pretty well off financially and think IMO their a cut above the rest.

They sat watching football this night sat at a table next to me for over 2 hours and must have had at least 5 beers each, maybe more and were served fast and efficiently with a smile every time they ordered drinks,

I couldn't help but notice being the nosy thing I am that when they checked their bin and the member of bar staff took their money away and returned with the change on the tray they took the change and then placed a 5 baht piece back on the tray as a tip between the 5 of them....

Whilst some people think that giving large tips is out of order, I think that people like the ones I'm mentioning should have left no tip at all, as the 5 baht tip they did leave between the five of them was an insult.

Infact whenever I seen any of them now, I think what a bunch of cheap charlie wan*ers..thumbsup.gif

Edited by MB1
  • Like 1

So, how much should one tip if you only pay 60 bt for a beer?

20 bt seems a bit too high.

I can see 20 bt for a 250 bt massage, but 20bt for a US$2.00 beer?

I mean, how GOOD can the service be?

I'd go 15 baht on the beer and 62 baht on the massage.

• Like 1