Pattaya Police

toenail

How can anyone have any respect for these clowns when they seem to break the laws themselves? No helmet cops busting others without helmets then settling the fine there and then with no paperwork. Corruption has to be stamped out first, then they need to follow the rules to set an example.

I've sat at watched the traffic police operation on Second Road, where they pull in numerous motor bike riders. I've yet to see anything resembling a bribe being accepted.

Everything appears to be legitimate with offenders being handed an on-the-spot-fine and the keys to their bikes being confiscated until the offender returns from the police station with a receipt showing that the fine was paid.

It is however, a totally different matter when a traffic offender is pulled over randomly by a lone police officer.

Does anyone know what the BIB "donation" is for a posting to Pattaya ? Does it vary with rank? Just curious to know.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Six to Seven figures for the Chief, the little guys on the street probably don't pay to get posted,

There are also competition to for other 'lucrative territories' in Bangkok, typically areas with many vice spot like nightclubs and massage palour, like Lumphini staton which covers most of Sukhumvit, Nana.

But most postings stays for couple of years, the few last postings to Pattaya probably hasn't managed to recoup his investments back, being ousted in some way or another after a year and all.

I've often seen BIB driving motorbikes on the beach promenade without wearing a helmet. Does that count as a patrol? At the traffic lights junction of Pattaya Klang and Second Road there is a police box with a big sign outside in English which says something along the lines of "Your Safety is our Priority." When passing one day, I peered in through the window and there was a BIB transfixed to his monitor. Watching the traffic? Er, no. Watching the football - Man Utd v Arsenal. Fairs fair, it's a pretty big match. My Thai GF thinks I'm joking when I tell her that in England fines for traffic offences do not go directly into the policeman's pocket. That is where the fines end up here and all Thais know it. When roadblocks are set up outside Police HQ on Beach Road, the only motorbikes stopped are those driven by farangs. You might say that the police in Pattaya are insincere, corrupt, lazy, racist and above their own laws ......but not me.

Does anyone know what the BIB "donation" is for a posting to Pattaya ? Does it vary with rank? Just curious to know.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Six to Seven figures for the Chief, the little guys on the street probably don't pay to get posted,

There are also competition to for other 'lucrative territories' in Bangkok, typically areas with many vice spot like nightclubs and massage palour, like Lumphini staton which covers most of Sukhumvit, Nana.

But most postings stays for couple of years, the few last postings to Pattaya probably hasn't managed to recoup his investments back, being ousted in some way or another after a year and all.

who gets the money?

My Thai GF thinks I'm joking when I tell her that in England fines for traffic offences do not go directly into the policeman's pocket. That is where the fines end up here and all Thais know it.

From memory Taksin made it legal for police to keep a cut of fines, I dont remember the details.

The one thing I have always wondered about is why you rarely see the police pulling over vehicles, they always have check stops with lots of bikes pulled over. There is a large opportunity for them to make some serious money by ticketing vehicles but it never seems to happen. Any one who has driven around Pattaya has seen vehicles that are not fit to be on the road, drivers who dissregard the law and lack of basic driving skils. Do the police realize the cash they are missing out on?

The answer to that is obvious. These are usually licence/registration checks, and they can pack hundreds of motorcycles on the side of the road after confiscating the keys and sending them down to the police station to pay the 400 baht fine. If they were stopping cars, where would they park? Can you imagine them even trying that with 5 cars. They have a regular check near Central on 2nd Road, and the Beach Road. There's no parking spaces available except for bikes. The same is true wherever I see these road checks.

It's revenue collecting in the easiest possible way. The have a very convenient source of revenue which they can collect any time they wish which results in minimal disturbance of traffic flow - 10's of thousands of motorcycles. They're never going to be short of money.

What disturbs me the most are adults carrying unhelmeted kids and babies on motorcycles while they're wearing helmets. I've been here for ages, but this still annoys the hell out of me - and even more so when it's Farang doing it.

When I went down to the station to pay one of these fines earlier this year the ticket officer behind the glass window shouted rudely at me to say my name and scribbled it down on the ticket. No ID was required. I could have said any name at all. The officer who gave me the ticket merely grabbed my motorcycle keys and sent me down to pay. They would have had no idea of who I was. This is absurd.

As long as you're in a car, you can do as you please.

Edited by tropo

The one thing I have always wondered about is why you rarely see the police pulling over vehicles, they always have check stops with lots of bikes pulled over. There is a large opportunity for them to make some serious money by ticketing vehicles but it never seems to happen. Any one who has driven around Pattaya has seen vehicles that are not fit to be on the road, drivers who dissregard the law and lack of basic driving skils. Do the police realize the cash they are missing out on?

The answer to that is obvious. These are usually licence/registration checks, and they can pack hundreds of motorcycles on the side of the road after confiscating the keys and sending them down to the police station to pay the 400 baht fine. If they were stopping cars, where would they park? Can you imagine them even trying that with 5 cars. They have a regular check near Central on 2nd Road, and the Beach Road. There's no parking spaces available except for bikes. The same is true wherever I see these road checks.

It's revenue collecting in the easiest possible way. The have a very convenient source of revenue which they can collect any time they wish which results in minimal disturbance of traffic flow - 10's of thousands of motorcycles. They're never going to be short of money.

What disturbs me the most are adults carrying unhelmeted kids and babies on motorcycles while they're wearing helmets. I've been here for ages, but this still annoys the hell out of me - and even more so when it's Farang doing it.

When I went down to the station to pay one of these fines earlier this year the ticket officer behind the glass window shouted rudely at me to say my name and scribbled it down on the ticket. No ID was required. I could have said any name at all. The officer who gave me the ticket merely grabbed my motorcycle keys and sent me down to pay. They would have had no idea of who I was. This is absurd.

As long as you're in a car, you can do as you please.

Have to agree on the kids with no helmets. It's the one thing that really gets me seriously angry here. Don't these parents have any regard for their children's lives, especially the really young ones. Even a small spill will kill a baby or toddler and I have seen it happen more than once.