(Makro) Croissant Consumers Unite!

Greenside

Croissants are one of the things Makro's bakery department did pretty well and, while there will doubtless be 38 people on here in a flash to big up their own favourites, as far as I'm concerned they make for a decent breakfast. If you're a regular buyer you probably already know that while the shelves are usually amply stocked with bags of 5 for around 60 baht, a bit of searching or a word at the bakery door will get you a box or bag of 10 for 94 baht - way to go!

Well, it was until this week when they changed the pricing and dumped the box of 10 option. I assume this is the new CP influence because the guy who came to apologise to me mumbled something about line rationalisation (no, really) that must have come directly from the week's manual updates. To cut a long story short I found a lady named Neesa who spoke unexpectedly good English for someone working on the floor and she gave me to believe that they've had a bunch of complaints and that only Head Office can fix the situation. She advised seeing the people at the office to the left of the checkouts who handle the telesales which I did. They said "the more the better if you want to get anything changed" so if you are affected by this, stop by when you are there next and let them know you want the old way back.

Please.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up, will go and have a moan forthwith.

As a side; The main Big C Hang Dong has recently been bagging up 5's for 25 Baht on a hit and miss basis....like i've managed to hit four out of five visits. Not up to Makro standard but great for the price IMO.

Thanks for the heads up, will go and have a moan forthwith.

As a side; The main Big C Hang Dong has recently been bagging up 5's for 25 Baht on a hit and miss basis....like i've managed to hit four out of five visits. Not up to Makro standard but great for the price IMO.

Yes the price at Big C is inconsistent but if you have some spare freezer space buy em when they are cheap.

Makro is also selling margerine croissants which I hadn't noticed before (and in big bags too) so before you buy, check.

Big C's are OK but Makro really was a cut above. They freeze perfectly and buying 20 or 30 at a time is very convenient. Anyway, please let them know we won't take it lying down wink.png

• Like 1

I've yet to have one yet from Big C or Makro that wasn't margarine. Horrible. Makros sugar donuts are alright though, if fresh out the oven. They go stale within an hour.

You've clearly missed out. Here's what to look for and there's a world of difference - I just happened to have the last empty box ready to bin.

post-40471-0-06815400-1377186997_thumb.j

I've yet to have one yet from Big C or Makro that wasn't margarine. Horrible. Makros sugar donuts are alright though, if fresh out the oven. They go stale within an hour.

OK I am not in C.M. but guess there all much the same.......

Big C Extra, I make do with the 4 baht ones, fine for the freezer, take them out of the freezer and put on the toaster they are fine, warm and toasted on one side.. Just eating 2 for breakfast at this moment...

Makro ones are nice but not sure there worth all that extra just to put in freezer

They Big C, also have butter ones a little bit bigger but 18 baht each !!

Makros sugar donuts are alright though, if fresh out the oven.

Wouldn't donuts be fried?

Anyone want to get up a petition? I'd be happy to sign it.

A heck, I'll set one up at Change.org. Was there for the Chelsea Manning thing anyway.

To change the subject a little bit.

We shop at Macros on the super Highway.

Is the one at Hang Dong better.

Way better. The Sankypeng intersection one is a hole.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Big C Extra, I make do with the 4 baht ones

I'm paying 20-30 baht each for decent croissants at Baan Bakery, Nice Sweet Place and the French cafe - kind of across from DK Book Store. How do the cheapo croissants compare?

Never tried the Baan Bakery ones but Makro ones very close to what you get in France IMO. Big C not quite as good but excellent value for the price.

Grace bakery has the best Crosants I have had anywhere . I think they are about 18 baht each but well worth the extra . They are on Somong Road next to the Texas BBQ > Great sandwiches too . But if you want the crossants get there when they open because they dont last long .... Grace is on face book too

I just got back from Makro and there's bad news, good news and some interesting news...

• They had some boxes of 10 croissants on the shelves. Good.
  • The price was 140 baht. Bad.
  • They had marked them down as "Special Price" 50% off, so only 70 baht. Good.
  • I bought all the ones on display. Good (for me, at least).

I talked to khun Ben who is the Bakery Manager and khun Nit who works over in the office where they do the telesales. The story (apparently) is that Makro told their supplier to come up with a better product and they either couldn't or wouldn't so they have started out with someone new. Better butter or something, so they think. The new product is supposed to be superior but they've been getting a lot of flak over the change and price, hence the opening special which they hope will at least get people to try it although, of course, discounts like this are usually used to conceal the magnitude of a price increase (in this case 50%). They both said that they were keen to get feedback from customers and khun Nit has a sheet you can sign if you feel you want to let Head Office know that you wont take it lying down. Interesting.

In the meantime, go grab some boxes of 10 at the bargain price of 70 baht and stick them in the freezer!

Makros sugar donuts are alright though, if fresh out the oven.

Wouldn't donuts be fried?

Anyone want to get up a petition? I'd be happy to sign it.

A heck, I'll set one up at Change.org. Was there for the Chelsea Manning thing anyway.

To change the subject a little bit.

We shop at Macros on the super Highway.

Is the one at Hang Dong better.

Way better. The Sankypeng intersection one is a hole.

Yeah the deep fryer. The devils in the details anyway.

I meant still warm...

I'm paying 20-30 baht each for decent croissants at Baan Bakery, Nice Sweet Place and the French cafe - kind of across from DK Book Store. How do the cheapo croissants compare?

They don't.

You're talking 2 to 3 times the price so you'd expect a difference. I've had croissants in Paris that are not as good as the Makro ones and some in Vientiane that were better that both. Give it a try sometime - what's to lose?

Anyway, this thread was really aimed at the converted and an attempt to at least show Makro management that some consumers care.

They don't.

You're talking 2 to 3 times the price so you'd expect a difference. I've had croissants in Paris that are not as good as the Makro ones and some in Vientiane that were better that both. Give it a try sometime - what's to lose?

Anyway, this thread was really aimed at the converted and an attempt to at least show Makro management that some consumers care.

I've had a few goes at them. The Big C ones (when it was French Carrefour) made with butter were fine. But the marg ones taste like sweet cardboard.

I always pick up a bag at RimPing, 40 baht for 3-4. They are just fine.

I went to school in France and never had a bad one anywhere, and certainly none made with marg...

• 2 months later...

Pleased to see that Macro had reverted to the old 10 croissants for 96 baht pack that made them such a good buy. That was yesterday so it may be only temporary but they were flying off the shelf so maybe they will get the message and leave well alone. I do wonder why they didn't do them at 99 baht though, no-one would bat an eyelid.