No T-shirt, No service

Kommiekat

i bet if the OP had a shop himself (owned one) he would let them in without shirt,

wwhat the f@@k does it matter?

I take it you don't own a shop yourself. or you would see the whole question a bit more differentiated.

As a shop/restaurant owner, you have to weigh the potential income from these culturally insensitive customers against your longterm customers (especially if you have Thai customers).

I and some of my friends own small shops/restaurants on Samui, located not on the beach. When a customer without shirt or in bikini only enters our shops, we try to make them aware that walking/shopping around town like that is for Thais about the same as walking down a shopping street in the west wearing only your underwear. Many just didn't know and understand, others don't give a sh1t.

Conclusion: If you're not interested in local customs then don't expect any respect from the locals and most of the expats!

.... I think the Thais chalk it up to classless farang.

At that point they usually utter a Thai idiom: "farang ki nok"

Technical translation: "bird shit foreigner"

Loose translation: "bird-shit-for-brains foreigner"

Additional meaning (sometimes): "penniless as well as low-class"

Frequency of use: occasionally up-country, prolificly in tourist areas

Actually, there's a big difference between 'farang kee nok' and 'farang kee ngok'. I think you mean the latter so the translation is not bird-shit-foreigner. Kee ngok means stingy. Kee here does not mean shit also.

It's difficult for some to hear the difference.

Thais are sometimes referred to as 'farang kee nok'. This term is not to do with money. Often used for tose Kao San Road backpacker types that look like they never wash. But they might be called kee nok and kee ngok.

Edited by Neeranam

i bet if the OP had a shop himself (owned one) he would let them in without shirt,

I take it you don't own a shop yourself. or you would see the whole question a bit more differentiated.

As a shop/restaurant owner, you have to weigh the potential income from these culturally insensitive customers against your longterm customers (especially if you have Thai customers).

I and some of my friends own small shops/restaurants on Samui, located not on the beach. When a customer without shirt or in bikini only enters our shops, we try to make them aware that walking/shopping around town like that is for Thais about the same as walking down a shopping street in the west wearing only your underwear. Many just didn't know and understand, others don't give a sh1t.

Conclusion: If you're not interested in local customs then don't expect any respect from the locals and most of the expats!

Unfortunately there are way too many farangs that either have NO CLUE about local customs or they don't give a shxt.

Falang women walking around topless on public Thai beaches with their boobs hanging to their waist and nipple rings being one example I have seen but wish I had not.

People with NO CLASS don't change just because they visit another country.

.... I think the Thais chalk it up to classless farang.

At that point they usually utter a Thai idiom: "farang ki nok"

Technical translation: "bird shit foreigner"

Loose translation: "bird-shit-for-brains foreigner"

Additional meaning (sometimes): "penniless as well as low-class"

Frequency of use: occasionally up-country, prolificly in tourist areas

Actually, there's a big difference between 'farang kee nok' and 'farang kee ngok'. I think you mean the latter so the translation is not bird-shit-foreigner. Kee ngok means stingy. Kee here does not mean shit also.

It's difficult for some to hear the difference.

Thais are sometimes referred to as 'farang kee nok'. This term is not to do with money. Often used for tose Kao San Road backpacker types that look like they never wash. But they might be called kee nok and kee ngok.

Thanks for clarifying the differences! thumbsup.gif

the op said shop not RESTAURANT,

if someone is on the beach and just nips into the shop to buy a coke or the like i dont have a problem with that,,

restaurant different matter,

and as for cloaths making someone have class,,,lol,well you cant buy class,,

jake