UK spouse visa - but she's pregnant now

Apologies, I want to cover a couple of topics in one post, but as ultimately it's about her moving to the UK I've gone for the visa forum. I guess I just want reassurance I'm not missing anything, as I can't afford to pay for this one twice if the visa is refused.

We met on the 10th October 2012 and I've been to Thailand twice since in December and again in March. We applied for a tourist visa for March but were turned down, so addressed the concerns raised and applied again for June which this time was approved. She arrived in the UK around the 15th June and her period came a few days later, but after it didn't come in July we did a pregnancy test and it looks like she got pregnant straight after w00t.gif. We're due to fly back to Thailand on 5th October and hope to get the necessary paperwork sorted in time to marry on the 10th, our 1 year anniversary - I'm a romantic bugger really aren't I biggrin.png By this point we estimate she'll be about 14 weeks pregnant.

Marriage: Do affirmation of freedom to marry at British Embassy on Monday 7th (do I need an appointment or just turn up early?). Collect back on the 8th (I believe same day isn't possible - much chance of it being ready first thing?). Get it translated into Thai (anyone recommend somewhere acceptable, I suppose everyone wants same day service but what are the chances?). Lets assume translation isn't available until the 9th so then off to the Thai Embassy to get the translation certified (again do I need an appointment or can I just turn up?). Hopefully we can get that back either same day or next day, in which case finding an Ampur to marry on the 10th seems possible (Anyone know the fees for a marriage certificate? And someone mentioned in another post getting a few copies, is that possible?).

Passport: She looked up on the Internet and thinks she can get a new passport in her new name by producing the marriage certificate and paying a 1000B fee, and she believes she can have her new passport sent to her home within 3 (presumably working) days, anyone confirm this? Assuming we did marry on the 10th I'd hope to take her passport on Friday 11th with the hope of her new one arriving Wednesday or Thursday of the following week at which point I'll be with her visiting her parents. If not she'll have to do the visa application alone, but she's done 2 tourist visa applications now so it shouldn't be as daunting for her this time around.

Visa: At this stage we'll already be married and she'll have received her new passport, so it's time to do the visa application. I find it funny that the "Guide to Supporting Documents - Settlement" lists "evidence of your current employment" and a letter "confirming that you have been given time off work". If she's applying to settle in the UK what relevance would an old job be? cheesy.gif

It looks like she'll need to complete application form VAF4A plus appendix 2 (it's a shame they have to be done online as it's much easier to print it here in the UK). Her English test is booked for 6th September while she's here in the UK, and having watched the sample test videos we're more than confident she could pass level 4 if she was to take it (she's expected to pass level 2 so she's taking the level 1-3 exam so there was no point watching anything higher). I've found the page referring to the TB test and it seems the hospitals you're expected to use are miles from where we'll stay, bloody typical! And what is it with the fees, I'm sure I worked out before the application would cost about £650 all in, but now it's £851 for the visa application, just over £100 for the English test, just under £100 for the TB test, plus all the translations and stuff to get married.

How long does a Spouse visa normally take to process (assuming we've got all the documentation correct first time around)? I've read on the UKBA web site that they aim to process "95 per cent of settlement applications within 12 weeks and 100 per cent within 24 weeks of the application date" - data for June suggests 100% processed within 60 days (8-9 weeks). I ask based on her being pregnant as after 24 weeks she'll need a letter from a doctor allowing her to fly. Is pregnancy likely to have any negative effect on the application?

6 weeks til we fly during which time I need to recycle a lot of the supporting documentation used for the tourist visa and get the finances in order - if I'm carrying say £4000 cash do I have to declare it to anybody? I'd prefer to take cash and convert it (or pay it into her Bank over there) as using Western Union or doing a bank transfer from HSBC is gonna sting me for a hell of a fee.

Thinks that's everything.... anyone see any gaps?

How long does a Spouse visa normally take to process (assuming we've got all the documentation correct first time around)?

Let's cut to the chase. You are both determined to apply for settlement and you already know the answer for processing times - up to three months in most cases.

Yes, it's expensive and don't forget your translations, notarisations and ad hoc expenses.

My wife has been resident in the UK coming up three years and we know how you feel. The expense, stress and logistics take their toll.

I can't foresee a problem with your wife's application as is and I'm sure you've determined that you meet the minimum income requirement.

Just throw yourselves in and bite the bullet. It's actually quite fun, in hindsight.

What's the deal with the transfer of 4,000 pounds to your gf's Bank Account?

Money to pay for the holiday, the marriage and the visa application.

Find out if you can pay the Visa fee in the UK, then have that payment acknowledged in Thailand.

We can in Australia and save some coin on the exchange rate. Here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/660659-paying-for-a-visa-application-in-aus-for-lodgment-in-bkk/

Marriage

See under Affirmation of freedom to marry, Guidance for British nationals wishing to marry in Thailand on this page.

Passport

It's not necessary under either Thai or UK law for her to change the name in her passport, and not doing so will have no effect on her UK visa application.

My wife tells me that when she renewed her Thai passport in Bangkok it took about 2 weeks, but that was three years ago.

Visa

See UK Settlement Visa Basics.

Marriage

See under Affirmation of freedom to marry, Guidance for British nationals wishing to marry in Thailand on this page.

Passport

It's not necessary under either Thai or UK law for her to change the name in her passport, and not doing so will have no effect on her UK visa application.

My wife tells me that when she renewed her Thai passport in Bangkok it took about 2 weeks, but that was three years ago.

Visa

See UK Settlement Visa Basics.

Further to what 7by7 has said my wife has been in the country 7 years, we have been married for 5 years & it was only a few months ago that we had her passport changed to our married name.

During this time we have made several trips to thailand.